Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,120 members, 7,953,462 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:42 PM

Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails (38820 Views)

Giant Land Snails Available For Sale In Large Quantities / I Killed This Giant Wild Cat For Killing My Chickens (Photos) / Matured African Giant Snail 4 Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 7:05pm On Jul 28, 2015
I'm located in Abeokuta, Ogun state, Nigeria.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by holar37(m): 7:31pm On Jul 28, 2015
Thanks bro, pls am counting on u for nearby farmers.....stay safe with ur snails grin

dyoungforester:
I'm located in Abeokuta, Ogun state, Nigeria.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 29, 2015
dyoungforester:
Thanks @ gadget. If I want to give an advice with 1000 snails I would go for SEMI INTENSIVE system reasons been because it is more productive and it requires less work but total monitory is not feasible in terms of management routine like knowing the actual number of your snail..... but you can harvest your snail at night by bating them with fruiting juice then harvest the matured ones and leave the immature ones..... but with proper care and management you will shake the world with your WEST AFRICA GIANT LAND SNAIL. 1000 snails can reach up to 20million snails within a year.
Price analysis
I think with that number of snails you can get each of maginata from 80-100 because in Edo state one goes for 120 naira. while fulica can will be lower than that of maginata.

Greetings Bro. God Bless. I am An Ardent Follower Of This Thread and What I Want To Ask You Is This, Can 1000 Maginata Produce Up To 20million Snails In A Year. Also , I Want To Start Up A Snail Farm But I'm Confused On The Species To Start With. I Am Attracted To Achatina Achatina cos Of It's Shor Period Of Harvest, But I Am Worried About Its Size In The Market Compared To The Size Of Maginata Which Is Bigger But Takes Long To Harvest. Am Bothered That Buyers May Prefer Maginata Above Achatina Achatina Making It Difficult For Sales. Also Is There Any Way That Maginata Can Be Harvested In 7Months? Thanks.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 10:52am On Jul 29, 2015
@Ebukasoso, thanks for showing up interest in snailery, Stocking in of 1000 snails of Archachatina maginata, you can only have 24000 - 40000 of Archachatina maginata at the end of the year, if you sell all of the snails then you will be making atleast 4-6 million if each goes for 150naira or more per snail.
I know a master on snailery who made 20 million on snails within 2 years and he made his first sale at the rate of 500, and Later on he sold the same snails at the rate of 1000 naira but all these snails were sold during the dry season, the species he started with and the one sold is Achatina achatina... So I'm saying this so that there is market for any snails you started with but preferable I would advice you to go for the 3 species and maginata should be many.
Yes, Maginata can be harvested within 7 months or so, it mean you will be feeding them with concentrated feeds and the monitory scheme will be maximum and all protocol for the management will be strictly adhere t Thanks
Dyoung foreste.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 29, 2015
dyoungforester:
That is Achatina fulica, it features are
It is V- shape, has a mixture of two colours such as yellow and light brown, the base is sharp and elongated and other more
my number is 07066444540
Sorry I should have uploaded some pictures but I find it difficult to upload it may be due to network problem but very soon I will by God's grace.

will add u on whatsapp been wanting to get into this need to know more details
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 11:49am On Jul 29, 2015
Alright @ runazz
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by Matysu: 1:50pm On Jul 29, 2015
@dyoungforester You are doing a great job. Pls how large an area will one need to rear 1000 snails.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 3:15pm On Jul 29, 2015
@ Matysu, thanks. To me sir, I would prefer half a plot or a plot of land. Reason been that since the snails would still multiply in large number and all procedures both present and the future must be plan now before it become too tedious for someone later in the future. And the management is paramount and snails do not really like a confined place. Thanks
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by Matysu: 7:25pm On Jul 29, 2015
@dyoungforester, thanks sir. You've inspired me so much, I will start soon.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 9:25pm On Jul 29, 2015
Thanks for showing up more interest in snailery.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 9:46am On Jul 31, 2015
Another snails' housing type

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 9:48am On Jul 31, 2015
Same

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 10:04am On Jul 31, 2015
Same 2

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 10:13am On Jul 31, 2015
Maginata's egg

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by teflondoncuzo(m): 12:08pm On Jul 31, 2015
Nice one guys but where can one get the snails to start with and how much would it cost
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 1:03pm On Jul 31, 2015
You can get the Snail to purchase from a snail farmer and the prices shouldn't be more than 100-200 for a mature snails. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dsleekman(m): 2:35pm On Jul 31, 2015
Op

Please I want to ask you some questions.
1. What are the things required or consider when you want to start snail farming?
2. What species is the best?
3. Can you give us the cost and possible ROI.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 6:50pm On Jul 31, 2015
A newly constructed snail's pen, constructed by me today.

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 6:51pm On Jul 31, 2015

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 6:53pm On Jul 31, 2015

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 6:56pm On Jul 31, 2015
4. Thanks
Dyoungforester.

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 7:42pm On Jul 31, 2015

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dsleekman(m): 3:37am On Aug 01, 2015
dyoungforester:
A newly constructed snail's pen, constructed by me today.
What is the dimension and how many snails can one put inside
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 7:58am On Aug 01, 2015
To be honest, I didn't measure it so I just constructed it the way I wanted it, it can contain atleast 20 to 30 mature snails.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 8:17am On Aug 01, 2015
@ dslkeeman,
Factors to be consider in setting up snailery
1. Your interest and dedication
2. Layout -location, housing types,types of soils, vegetation, free predators environment.e.t.c

2. Best species
A. Archachatina maginata
B. Achatina achatina
C.Achatina fulica

3. See some previous cost Analysis. And profit margin on snailery above.
Thanks
Motto: Breeding to be the best.
DyoungForester.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by yemiisaac: 12:12pm On Aug 01, 2015
Bro very happy with all av seen above,I have harbouring dis zeal for some time now bt av been discouraged by ppl around me,now seeing a fellow funabite in it is more than inspiriing,God bless u bro!!!....pls can I av ur whatsapp I'd?
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dsleekman(m): 10:27am On Aug 02, 2015
dyoungforester:
@ dslkeeman,
Factors to be consider in setting up snailery
1. Your interest and dedication
2. Layout -location, housing types,types of soils, vegetation, free predators environment.e.t.c

2. Best species
A. Archachatina maginata
B. Achatina achatina
C.Achatina fulica

3. See some previous cost Analysis. And profit margin on snailery above.
Thanks
Motto: Breeding to be the best.
DyoungForester.

Thanks for your response.

Space is my problem, so am thinking of constructing wooden pens because I have 3rooms that I can use.
Can I put the pens inside, I mean under the roof?
What type of soil is the best to put inside?
How often do I need to change their soil?
I am a very busy person, can I do it on part time

Thanks for your response
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 3:20pm On Aug 02, 2015
@dlskeeman, yes you can construct a wooden pen for the snails, you can also put them under your roof sir, the type of soil to use is loamy soil and you don't need to change your soil at all and may be after some weeks or some months you will be spraying them with supercal or just a calcium powder you can get it from a chemist store or a ventinary store, you will mix the drug with wat and spray it on the snails and likewise on their feeds.. Note the soil must be moist and not wet at all time.
You can senticize the soil by spreading it under the sun for 24-48 hours before use. Thanks and feeding of snails does not require much time, you can give the snails the feeds they ought to eat for 3 days or more at a time and it will ease your work and save your time. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dsleekman(m): 8:56pm On Aug 02, 2015
dyoungforester:
@dlskeeman, yes you can construct a wooden pen for the snails, you can also put them under your roof sir, the type of soil to use is loamy soil and you don't need to change your soil at all and may be after some weeks or some months you will be spraying them with supercal or just a calcium powder you can get it from a chemist store or a ventinary store, you will mix the drug with wat and spray it on the snails and likewise on their feeds.. Note the soil must be moist and not wet at all time.
You can senticize the soil by spreading it under the sun for 24-48 hours before use. Thanks and feeding of snails does not require much time, you can give the snails the feeds they ought to eat for 3 days or more at a time and it will ease your work and save your time. Thanks

God bless you for the good work you are doing.

Thanks
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by dyoungforester(m): 9:19pm On Aug 02, 2015
Amin....Thanks and keep me inform when you want to start the snailery.
Re: Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails by Peaceuntou: 10:06am On Aug 03, 2015
Good morning Sir,am the man that just called you now,am really interested in snailing farming,i will get in touch with you as soon as i get the capital and a good location for it.Thank you ...........Sir.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Black Snake I Just Killed This Night While Searching For My He Goat / My Poultry Journey... / Picture: President Jonathan And The Rice Pyramids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.