Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,565 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

Nigerians And The English Language - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians And The English Language (570 Views)

Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} / The State Of The English Language In Nigeria / Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians And The English Language by biina: 10:32pm On Feb 27, 2009
I am not sure where this belongs, but felt this place was as good as any.

It's a bit disheartening, the level of grammar being exhibited by some on the forum. While no one is perfect, I am still heavily disappointed, when I see the poor command of English being exhibited by some posters, some of which I feel could have been curbed by the use of a spell checker or word processor.

Even if we take the stance that English is not our mother tongue (even though it is the official language and it is taught from elementary school), I would rather read posts in pidgin English than be required to wear Kevlar before logging on to the forum.  I do not take too kindly to the amour piercing rounds being used by some folks in their posts (j/k grin)

I subscribe to the notion of 'idea is need', but would still appreciate people making an effort to improve themselves in this regard.

Of course, those that quote others' grammatical errors in a derisive tone aren't helping. While some might be more learned, enlightened and /or sophisticated than others, we all have room for improvement.
Re: Nigerians And The English Language by Jcob(m): 3:02am On Feb 28, 2009
Name namez.

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Reply / Hnd Statistics: Its Urgent! / Help On Neco Registeration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.