Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert - Properties (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert (97713 Views)

What You Should Know About Building Foundations / Ask Me Any Question On Building Construction Project! / Types Of Foundations In Building Construction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mufutau55(m): 7:30pm On Oct 07, 2020
One4me:

See as this one dey take sense corner job and people! grin grin
Simple question, he begin say Professional need to visit.
Con-man full this Nigeria sha.

Your profession is Soil/Geo Engineer, according to your rofile, when did you become Structural and Building Engineer? shocked
Opalu, we dey watch you o. undecided

If you know the thing wey this guy take my friend eyes see for his project at Ikeja undertaken by this guy, you no go even want to hear this guy name. Run o.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 3:18pm On Oct 08, 2020
mufutau55:

If you know the thing wey this guy take my friend eyes see for his project at Ikeja undertaken by this guy, you no go even want to hear this guy name. Run o.

Hajji M.

Blackmail cannot stop the Projects we are building all over Nigeria. People with envy will just come online to attack people they dont know from Adam. For the past 20 years I have been in this construction business. So no amount of blackmail can dent my image.
From your signature it shows that you are a layman in construction yet you want to discredit someone with 20yrs experience who is a chartered Structural Engineer with first, 2nd and 3rd degrees in the field. Lolz

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 3:33pm On Oct 08, 2020
One4me:

See as this one dey take sense corner job and people! grin grin
Simple question, he begin say Professional need to visit.
Con-man full this Nigeria sha.

Your profession is Soil/Geo Engineer, according to your rofile, when did you become Structural and Building Engineer? shocked
Opalu, we dey watch you o. undecided

From this single thread that I started in 2015, I have done more than 500 site visits from clients and have build more than 65 different buildings. That is more than average of 12 buildings per year all from Nairaland.com. ( That is different from projects I get from referrals and online adverts) I have been so grateful to God and to Nairaland that was why I had to do some paid adverts in a way to say thank you to this wonderful website.

In 1997, I was preparing myself to go study Electronics Engineering when God called me to study Civil/Structural Engineering. The rest is history. When you are in your God-ordained chosen field, it comes naturally and you easily attain Mastery in it. May God help you to discover your own purpose in life so you dont hate
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 5:02pm On Oct 08, 2020
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE BUYING SWAMPY LANDS.
1. Swampy lands are generally cheaper than dry lands of same location and same size. Ideally that is the norm but there are a few land owners who over price their swampy lands over and above their dry equivalents. Those are the few exceptions.
Why are Swampy lands cheaper? The reason is obvious, the demands are lower than the dry lands.
2. Never ever agree to a high price for a swampy land. Bring on your negotiating A game to beat the price down. This is because, the Foundation for swampy land costs more and as such you need to have compensated for that in the purchase of the swampy land. Second reason is that there would be much filling that dry land so that price also should be compensated for at the time of negotiations.
3. Buying a swampy land is always far better than buying a dry land. Especially if you are buying the land for an estate project. Some months ago I worked on series of swampy land for estate projects. Where the swampy land price is 'P'. The cost for filling it is half of P. And after filling, the land is sold for between 3-5 times the original value (3P to 5P). Meaning that if the price of swampy land is N5M after sand filling to make it dry land, the sales value jump to between 15m and N25m.
4. When I advise people here, I always suggest you take a highly experienced Engineer with you with a thorough knowledge of flooding. There is a clear cut difference between a Swampy water logged area and a Flood-prone area. There are some swampy lands that are in flood planes. But that does not mean that wherever you see waterlogged area means its susceptible to flooding.
Never ever buy a flood prone area even if they dash you 2 for N10. Dont even accept that land to use for fish pond business because very soon one day a Dam at Kainji in Niger state or a dam in Chad would be over flooded and they would need to release the excess water. That water will find its way to every part of Nigeria even till Niger delta. And those lands that are below the flood plane would be submerge and subsumed with water be it in Lokoja my state or Ogun state or Niger delta or Isheri North or Lekki.
5. When people buy a car of 2m they take Mechanics, but when the same people want to buy land or Structure that cost more than car, they go with only their wives or brothers. They dont take an experienced Engineer. Luckily enough via technical engagements like this, so many people have invited professionals to verify and validate their choices of locations and choices of buildings to purchase.
6. Swampy lands that are not in flood prone areas are very good buys always. The cost of sand filling is not much compared to the price of buying an already filled land. People tend to forget that a "Dry Land" is simply a waterlogged land that was filled.
7. The secret of pricing a water logged land to purchase is that you should buy that land at a price that when you add the cost of Filling and any other soil stabilization to it, the total would still be LOWER than the price of an equivalent dry land. Thereby you make a handsome gain upfront. So that when you resell, you would make good profit no matter the price you sell. This is why you need to carry a professional along to determine the quantity of filling required amongst other functions he would perform.

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mufutau55(m): 7:11pm On Oct 08, 2020
opalu:

Blackmail cannot stop the Projects we are building all over Nigeria. People with envy will just come online to attack people they dont know from Adam. For the past 20 years I have been in this construction business. So no amount of blackmail can dent my image.
From your signature it shows that you are a layman in construction yet you want to discredit someone with 20yrs experience who is a chartered Structural Engineer with first, 2nd and 3rd degrees in the field. Lolz

We are not talking about my experience or knowledge in building construction. We are talking about the lousy job you did for a friend at Ikeja which you remembered well.
Blackmail you? Please!

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 12:45am On Oct 09, 2020
mufutau55:

We are not talking about my experience or knowledge in building construction. We are talking about the lousy job you did for a friend at Ikeja which you remembered well.
Blackmail you? Please!
Hajji M.

I hardly post client's project pictures online. But I have to do this in response to people like you think you can come to people's threads to discredit their efforts and bad mouth them. Your intention has been to derail this thread and even hide it from Nairaland.com.

For your information these pictures below is the building i built around 2016/17 which you call lousy job. And let me correct you, it is not in Ikeja. You dont even know the location yet you claim my client is your friend.
Our company builds only what clients pay for. If you pay for marine plywood kind of concrete we use it for you. If you pay for Steel formwork we use it.

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mufutau55(m): 2:52am On Oct 09, 2020
opalu:

I hardly post client's project pictures online. But I have to do this in response to people like you think you can come to people's threads to discredit their efforts and bad mouth them. Your intention has been to derail this thread and even hide it from Nairaland.com.

For your information these pictures below is the building i built around 2016/17 which you call lousy job. And let me correct you, it is not in Ikeja. You dont even know the location yet you claim my client is your friend.
Our company builds only what clients pay for. If you pay for marine plywood kind of concrete we use it for you. If you pay for Steel formwork we use it.

Say whatever you want to say and post any picture you want to post... so you do remember what I was talking about. I will dig the emails from the clients and post here too. You messed-up the guy's work and you were claiming being sick when you were contacted. You even sent me the pics of the medicine you claimed the Doctor gave you.. I will even contact the client to come and say his piece here. The client decided not to come here and hunt you with it then.. so, you can say whatever you want now. Go away with your lousy work. I have no time for you and consider this exchange close.

Hajji M.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 5:46am On Oct 09, 2020
mufutau55:

Say whatever you want to say and post any picture you want to post... so you do remember what I was talking about. I will dig the emails from the clients and post here too. You messed-up the guy's work and you were claiming being sick when you were contacted. You even sent me the pics of the medicine you claimed the Doctor gave you.. I will even contact the client to come and say his piece here. The client decided not to come here and hunt you with it then.. so, you can say whatever you want now. Go away with your lousy work. I have no time for you and consider this exchange close.
Hajji M.

I dont know why some people find it hard to mind their own businesses. Since when has it become a crime for a professional who overworked himself to fall ill? You are just whipping up sentiments here in a bid to discourage any new prospective client. But you have failed in your futile efforts.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by VEXT: 9:46am On Jan 26, 2021
Please I have a question...
Why do rooms look small when a foundation is laid, and then appear larger after the building is finished?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by saferoom: 10:26am On Sep 04, 2021
VEXT:
Please I have a question...
Why do rooms look small when a foundation is laid, and then appear larger after the building is finished?

Rooms look smaller because the human eyes automatically subtract the trenches from the room. So that remaining part of the room that wasnt excavated will look as the room.

In the illustration I gave in the picture, the white line is how big the room is. But the eye will be thinking it is the red like that is the dimension.

That was how a client kept saying "these rooms are too small" and the Builder kept adding and adding to the size until the house became too big. That building became an uncompleted complicated project till this day.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Legalmachineup: 1:52pm On Oct 07, 2021
Can I build a 4 bedroom duplex with 4 or 5 inches block with enough pillar
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 8:06am On Nov 18, 2021
Legalmachineup:
Can I build a 4 bedroom duplex with 4 or 5 inches block with enough pillar

I would advise your to use 9 inches for the external walls and o inches for the major walls in the building.
The reason is simple, there is the tendency for iron workers and wood workers to automatically make the columns (pillars) to become the size of the blocks used. For instance you Make a wall to be 4 inches, they make the pillars along that wall to be 4 inches to avoid it shooting out of the wall. Because in their own wisdom it's not good for pillar to shoot out.
So to save your building from having low capacity columns, use 9 inches.
Also when Electrical and Mechanical workers come to site, they break blocks to run their pipes. Some pipes are 4 inches!!
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by SmartHanif(m): 9:58pm On Dec 11, 2021
Causes and remedy of this pls.

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 6:25pm On Dec 16, 2021
SmartHanif:
Causes and remedy of this pls.

The Column (pillar) has been carrying a load heavier than what its capacity can bear. So it buckled
"Buckling of Columns is a form of deformation as a result of axial- compression forces. This leads to bending of the column, due to the instability of the column. This mode of failure is quick, and hence dangerous. Length, strength and other factors determine how or if a column will buckle"

To prevent such from happening, the Structural Engineer calculates the total load (Axial Force) it is to carry and transmit to the foundation, then design the column and the reinforcement inside it.
For instance, a load that a column of 225mm X 450mm supposed to carry, if you make the column 225mmX225mm, then it would fail in the long run.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by SmartHanif(m): 8:14pm On Dec 21, 2021
Thank you Sir.

The Column (pillar) has been carrying a load heavier than what its capacity can bear. So it buckled
"Buckling of Columns is a form of deformation as a result of axial- compression forces. This leads to bending of the column, due to the instability of the column. This mode of failure is quick, and hence dangerous. Length, strength and other factors determine how or if a column will buckle"

To prevent such from happening, the Structural Engineer calculates the total load (Axial Force) it is to carry and transmit to the foundation, then design the column and the reinforcement inside it.
For instance, a load that a column of 225mm X 450mm supposed to carry, if you make the column 225mmX225mm, then it would fail in the long run.
[/quote]
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Biztech05(m): 12:18am On Mar 28, 2022
Did you need a competent site Engr, Builder or supervisor?

Contact; BIZTECH CONSULT 
Yours satisfactions is guaranteed.
Email; Biztech05@yahoo.com
Phone/ WhatsApp : +2348062664416

Happy new week
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by lajidson(m): 11:23am On Mar 29, 2022
Please structural engineers in the house. How is this being calculated? This is a cantilever diagram.

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by lajidson(m): 11:31am On Mar 29, 2022
Please structural engineers in the house. What type of slab is this and why is it overlapped?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Omoalare1985: 9:19am On Mar 25, 2023
Due to cost of the planks can we cast raft foundation in two phases
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by sr: 7:04am On Jan 25
Hello, please what do you think of building surface concrete water tanks?

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Contact Us For Your Electrical/mechanical(Plumbing) Design And Installation / Abandoned Home Of Aleister Crowley: Satanist & Wickedest Man In The World / Latest Promo Price For Stone Coated Roof Sheets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.