Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,661 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert (97620 Views)

What You Should Know About Building Foundations / Ask Me Any Question On Building Construction Project! / Types Of Foundations In Building Construction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by omitooguns(m): 12:09pm On Jun 26, 2015
Use normal strip...dept of 1m and width of 0.675m.

pure2012soul:
I intend putting up a 4 bedroom bungalow on a plot that measures 100x100. It's on a rocky but flat land. The design includes a laundry room, a pantry attached ti the kitchen and all rooms ensuite. Also, there's provision for a walk-in closet in the master bedroom. What sort of foundation should I go for and the likely cost implication?

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by omitooguns(m): 12:11pm On Jun 26, 2015
Poor consolidation of hardcore and laterite giving less support to d mass concrete (over site concrete).

casiraghi:
Thanks for the post

What could cause caving of the floor even when there is a proper German floor and the DPC was properly compressed.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by omitooguns(m): 12:17pm On Jun 26, 2015
Ceramics is better since u av kids.

adebahyor:
Good update bro.

I need your advice in choosing the type of tiles to use in my just completed house.

I have a 4 bedroom apartment which am yet to tile because am yet to conclude on the type of tile to use.

wooden or ceramics considering i have two kids already.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Xzevian(m): 12:18pm On Jun 26, 2015
Good analysis... space booked. In case you need solid granite that wil make your house look stronger for years direct from d source see my signature below
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by temmy6996(m): 12:18pm On Jun 26, 2015
TYTAN:
@ Opalu: good work. i have just plastered my 3bedroom twin duplex and after a while i stated noticing tiny cracks here and there on the walls. i inquired from the structural engineer what could have caused the cracks, he said the house have just began to settle. can you please give a candid opinion on this. Thank you
if I may answer your question, ask ur structural engineer if it's a surface crack, if it is, then it's the plasticity of the plaster sand u used which u shouldn't be worried about. If he then says the house is beginning to settle n u find deep cracks on walls, then it is not settlement but displacement. I believe if ur structural engineer is vast in knowledge, he should be able to lecture u more on this. I'm a Lil busy presently, would have elaborated more on this,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Gifted4all(m): 12:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
Must we use hard core on a pile foundation

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by chilewenwam: 12:23pm On Jun 26, 2015
In structural construction, quality have been a serious issues. every client and mason that have little construction knowledge is termed Engineer. government policies on construction aren't helping matters.

4 Likes

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by elvis07: 12:36pm On Jun 26, 2015
OP pls wat can be done to a building without without capping b4 the top block work was done. The building is already above lintel level. Its a 4bedroom bungalow on a very solid ground, the capping issue was a mistakke on d part of d engineer bcus he was told to cap d foundation b4 raising d block work. WHAT CAN IDO TO HAVE A SoLID FOUNDATION BCUS I INTEND CASTING D FOuNDATION FLOOR B4 ANY FURTHER WoRK goes on
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by jejeman: 12:41pm On Jun 26, 2015
Pls does a room size of 3.35m by 4.23m needs a beam across it centre apart from the beam on the surrounding wall?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by damiloladuke: 12:47pm On Jun 26, 2015
Well, that's gonna wait till next year when I start my house building

READ THE DIARY OF A JOBLESS NIGERIAN YOUTH www.wenogetjob.com
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Tex42(m): 1:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
pure2012soul:
I intend putting up a 4 bedroom bungalow on a plot that measures 100x100. It's on a rocky but flat land. The design includes a laundry room, a pantry attached ti the kitchen and all rooms ensuite. Also, there's provision for a walk-in closet in the master bedroom. What sort of foundation should I go for and the likely cost implication?
for a rocky terrain and a bungalow, a simple strip foundation would do with proper chaining. If need be, in corporate some pads(foundation) for safety purposes.

bungalows do not need much structural works since they have/carry minimal load(dead and imposed) and as such a strip foundation which is the cheapest in this case would do.

Took cognizance of the terrain you would be building on. Goodluck.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by semitunde: 1:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
eminemkayc:

I cannot precisely hold brief for the original poster, however, raft foundations (beam-raft in the poster's instance, i presume) are generally used where poor cohesive/organic soils are encountered, loads from superstructure are not too heavy and settlement (consolidation and creep) are to be controlled. The 750mm firstly, i guess, should be the depth of the raft's ground beam. Secondly, the increase in depth away from 750mm, definitely, is not as a result of the in-ability of a 750mm deep beam to resist bending and shear stresses as a result of loads from the raft but should be as a result of the ground water conditions, which the engineer (op) anticipates would rise above its present condition.

OK. I'm actually a Civil ENGR and I only want to spur a discussion by asking those questions.

Now. If the depth was increased to take care of the flooding? Why can't the client alternatively sand fill the area by a height such as is enough to take care of the flood with a 750mm raft? That is why I asked that he take us through the process he used in getting and insisting on the >750mm raft.

Another question. The op said coarse aggregate (granite) should not be of uniform size. Why is this?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by snakebeat: 1:25pm On Jun 26, 2015
jejeman:
Pls does a room size of 3.35m by 4.23m needs a beam across it centre apart from the beam on the surrounding wall?
What for?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by semitunde: 1:26pm On Jun 26, 2015
desunit:
Op! A four storey building with a sound foundation about 20 years old now, recently had a problem with the drainage system. Each time it rained it gets flooded (water will fill the whole compound) am curious if the flooding will have any negative effect on the foundation.

Bro how do you know its a sound foundation? Besides a good foundation will not necessarily remain like that for ever.

Are you trying to stop the flooding or you have realised you can't and just want to save your building. Sorry utw best to know what a client really wants before proffering solutions.

Just helping the op here though.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Tex42(m): 1:31pm On Jun 26, 2015
elvis07:
OP pls wat can be done to a building without without capping b4 the top block work was done. The building is already above lintel level. Its a 4bedroom bungalow on a very solid ground, the capping issue was a mistakke on d part of d engineer bcus he was told to cap d foundation b4 raising d block work. WHAT CAN IDO TO HAVE A SoLID FOUNDATION BCUS I INTEND CASTING D FOuNDATION FLOOR B4 ANY FURTHER WoRK goes on
The capping thing is mostly done in Waterlogged areas/areas with differential settling, so I don't see any problem in the engineer not doing the capping since you said the building is on a solid ground. Goodluck.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by manwonder: 1:42pm On Jun 26, 2015
400billionman:

Why not build in dryseason ? Print out these pictures and keep them to inform the builder of where he is about to build on. Hollow blocks filled with mortar will do a good job for that foundation..

Yes, I thought of that too, but working during the rainy season has now confirmed my initial fears that I might really need to reinforce the foundation. Initially, what I was told was that I would only have to do normal foundation, and that at the worst, it would need a german floor (many people, including my bricklayer, were saying this). But from the look of things now, I might need to do much more than that. I have a feeling I might need to make the blinding as thick as 150mm, and also do a raft, but I need professional advice on this since I don't know much about these things.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 1:59pm On Jun 26, 2015
desunit:
Op! A four storey building with a sound foundation about 20 years old now, recently had a problem with the drainage system. Each time it rained it gets flooded (water will fill the whole compound) am curious if the flooding will have any negative effect on the foundation.

I think the best way to tackle the issue is to put in place a good drainage system in place. WE can't eliminate underground water at close proximity to foundations but having preventable flood around the foundation.

The best way is to fill the compound to the a level that flood doesn't flow into the building.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by hennybee(m): 2:02pm On Jun 26, 2015
Nice topic.

Please can you clarify on the ratio of cement:sand:granite mix for different concrete grades(c25,c30,c35) in casting concrete. There seem to be a serious mix up even amongst professionals in this regard. Thanks
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 2:10pm On Jun 26, 2015
Gifted4all:
Must we use hard core on a pile foundation

It is not a must if you are doing the ground floor as a suspended floor. But if you are not doing that, it is advisable. The hardcore achieves higher compaction and stability than filling sand.
Many contractors and owners do not like to use hardcore due to cost.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 2:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
elvis07:

Please show me picture to be able to give you a more suitable answer.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Tjhamman: 2:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
Opalu
I have a bungalow in the the village which I intend to convert to Duplex. My question is, is it cheaper to demolish the Bungalow and erect a Duplex or erect 15 -20 concrete pillars and build the first floor on top of the Bangalow. I really like the design of the Bungalow and will not mind to have top floor to accommodate my family. The second question is will it better solid enough and not to pose a danger.
Tj
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by hennybee(m): 2:15pm On Jun 26, 2015
Ques.1 How long(days) should be allowed for curing for grade 25(1:2:4) for it to achieve max strength before any load is exerted?

Ques. 2 What's the average number of bags of cement in each cu.m of c25, c30, c35 respectively?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by omitooguns(m): 2:29pm On Jun 26, 2015
hennybee:
Ques.1 How long(days) should be allowed for curing for grade 25(1:2:4) for it to achieve max strength before any load is exerted?

I dont think c25 is 1:2:4...i think it is 1:1 1/2: 3: and it will achive it's max strength in 28days max.
Ques. 2 What's the average number of bags of cement in each cu.m of c25, c30, c35 respectively?

c25 = 8 bags of cement.
C30 = 10 bags.
C35 = 14 bags.
C40 = 16 bags.

My own opinion...make we hear from d OP.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by omitooguns(m): 2:32pm On Jun 26, 2015
hennybee:

I dont think c25 is 1:2:4...i think it is 1:1 1/2: 3: and it will achive it's max strength in 28days max.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by hennybee(m): 2:39pm On Jun 26, 2015
Tnx bro

omitooguns:

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by austin2all: 2:44pm On Jun 26, 2015
Good job bros, pls my question is this: how much will it cost to build a block (2 storey) of 4 flats of 2 rooms and parlor, kitchen, on a dry land. Putting into consideration the current prices of building materials in the Nigerian markets.
Thanks for your anticipated reply.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by pure2012soul(m): 2:46pm On Jun 26, 2015
Tex42:
for a rocky terrain and a bungalow, a simple strip foundation would do with proper chaining. If need be, in corporate some pads(foundation) for safety purposes.

bungalows do not need much structural works since they have/carry minimal load(dead and imposed) and as such a strip foundation which is the cheapest in this case would do.

Took cognizance of the terrain you would be building on. Goodluck.
Thanks.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Tex42(m): 2:52pm On Jun 26, 2015
pure2012soul:
Thanks.
you're welcome.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by pure2012soul(m): 2:54pm On Jun 26, 2015
Tex42:
you're welcome.
Your insight has been helpful. Thanks once again

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 2:54pm On Jun 26, 2015
opalu:

It is not a must if you are doing the ground floor as a suspended floor. But if you are not doing that, it is advisable. The hardcore achieves higher compaction and stability than filling sand.
Many contractors and owners do not like to use hardcore due to cost.
op I asked on the first page how to go about the masonry work of a bungalow on a rock. Can you help me please.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Tex42(m): 3:03pm On Jun 26, 2015
pure2012soul:

Your insight has been helpful. Thanks once again
things we do for the family(nairaland). It's an honor to know that I can help with the little I know... Once again, you're welcome bro.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Myself2(m): 3:31pm On Jun 26, 2015
ddugeri:
2 na me supose be FTC oo bt poor netwrk no gree me...kai ogun strike glo

Are you guys mad? They're discussing something as critical and important as the above and you lousy lot are busy rambling about first to comment.Jeez, so irritating

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Contact Us For Your Electrical/mechanical(Plumbing) Design And Installation / Abandoned Home Of Aleister Crowley: Satanist & Wickedest Man In The World / Latest Promo Price For Stone Coated Roof Sheets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.