Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? (4447 Views)

Is It A Sin For Christian Couples To Have Sex On Sunday Before Going To Church ? / Pastors Reading From Ipad And Tablet Instead Of Holy Book. Right Or Wrong ? / See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by Adultnextdoor(m): 12:13pm On Jun 28, 2015
Happy sunday my dear nairalanders!...how was church?.....as for me ,i couldn't make it to church today due to the rainfall......Anyway guys,i've been wondering if it is truely christianic of a person to eat before going to church......as a christian(Catholic),i was taught to always go to church with an empty stomach to show sign of sincerity for christ......So does breaking this christianic rule change or affects your relationship with God?or does it count as nothing important?
HAPPY SUNDAY TO YOU ALL!!!!
Cc:Lalasticlala,Ishilove,Orijin101
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by delishpot: 12:21pm On Jun 28, 2015
Men fashioning rules for God.

OP, its a personal decision dont let laws of men block you from your spiritual joy and contentment you get when you go to church.
Unless you sleep in church after eating o. Then its still not wrong to eat its just a blockage to your main reason for going to church.

1 Like

Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by angieberry(f): 12:25pm On Jun 28, 2015
Even Jesus picked grains and ate on the sabbath day to the consternation of the pharisees!
Please, op, all these doctrines are false.
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by Adultnextdoor(m): 12:44pm On Jun 28, 2015
angieberry:
Even Jesus picked grains and ate on the sabbath day to the consternation of the pharisees!
Please, op, all these doctrines are false.
.........hmm.....i see
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by kevoh(m): 12:46pm On Jun 28, 2015
Adultnextdoor:
Happy sunday my dear nairalanders!...how was church?.....as for me ,i couldn't make it to church today due to the rainfall......Anyway guys,i've been wondering if it is truely christianic of a person to eat before going to church......as a christian(Catholic),i was taught to always go to church with an empty stomach to show sign of sincerity for christ......So does breaking this christianic rule change or affects your relationship with God?or does it count as nothing important?

Nowhere in the Catholic church's doctrine that says fasting before Mass( not just going to church) is a sign of sincerity. It's a pity that as a Catholic faithful you have no idea of the true doctrines of your church. Fasting is encouraged an hour before you receive the Holy Eucharist not before you go to church/mass. You know the significance of your holy eucharist, so i don't need to tell you. According to the church's canon law:

PARTICIPATION IN THE MOST HOLY EUCHARIST

Can. 912 Any baptized person not prohibited by law can and must be admitted to holy communion.

Can. 913 §1. The administration of the Most Holy Eucharist to children requires that they have sufficient knowledge and careful preparation so that they understand the mystery of Christ according to their capacity and are able to receive the body of Christ with faith and devotion.

§2. The Most Holy Eucharist, however, can be administered to children in danger of death if they can distinguish the body of Christ from ordinary food and receive communion reverently.

Can. 914 It is primarily the duty of parents and those who take the place of parents, as well as the duty of pastors, to take care that children who have reached the use of reason are prepared properly and, after they have made sacramental confession, are refreshed with this divine food as soon as possible. It is for the pastor to exercise vigilance so that children who have not attained the use of reason or whom he judges are not sufficiently disposed do not approach holy communion.

Can. 915 Those who have been excommunicated or interdicted after the imposition or declaration of the penalty and others obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin are not to be admitted to holy communion.

Can. 916 A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible.

Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 921, §2.

Can. 918 It is highly recommended that the faithful receive holy communion during the eucharistic celebration itself. It is to be administered outside the Mass, however, to those who request it for a just cause, with the liturgical rites being observed.

Can. 919 §1. A person who is to receive the Most Holy Eucharist is to abstain for at least one hour before holy communion from any food and drink, except for only water and medicine.

§2. A priest who celebrates the Most Holy Eucharist two or three times on the same day can take something before the second or third celebration even if there is less than one hour between them.

§3. The elderly, the infirm, and those who care for them can receive the Most Holy Eucharist even if they have eaten something within the preceding hour.

Can. 920 §1. After being initiated into the Most Holy Eucharist, each of the faithful is obliged to receive holy communion at least once a year.

§2. This precept must be fulfilled during the Easter season unless it is fulfilled for a just cause at another time during the year.

Can. 921 §1. The Christian faithful who are in danger of death from any cause are to be nourished by holy communion in the form of Viaticum.

§2. Even if they have been nourished by holy communion on the same day, however, those in danger of death are strongly urged to receive communion again.

§3. While the danger of death lasts, it is recommended that holy communion be administered often, but on separate days.

Can. 922 Holy Viaticum for the sick is not to be delayed too long; those who have the care of souls are to be zealous and vigilant that the sick are nourished by Viaticum while fully conscious.

Can. 923 The Christian faithful can participate in the eucharistic sacrifice and receive holy communion in any Catholic rite, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 844.

Source : http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P39.HTM

By the way, I'm atheist! wink
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by Adultnextdoor(m): 12:59pm On Jun 28, 2015
kevoh:

Nowhere in the Catholic church's doctrine that says fasting before Mass( not just going to church) is a sign of sincerity. It's a pity that as a Catholic faithful you have no idea of the true doctrines of your church. Fasting is encouraged before you receive the Holy Eucharist(no just going to church). You know the significance of your holy eucharist, so i don't need to tell you.

......I know this.......but it seems you didn't get the message clearly....it says...is it right or wrong to eat before going to church?......pls read the content of the topic I wrote and also the comments of the two nairalanders above you and from this,you can re-state your comment......bless!
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by kevoh(m): 1:08pm On Jun 28, 2015
Adultnextdoor:
......I know this.......but it seems you didn't get the message clearly....it says...is it right or wrong to eat before going to church?......pls read the content of the topic I wrote and also the comments of the two nairalanders above you and from this,you can re-state your comment......bless!

You do not know it if not you wouldn't claim fasting an hour not eating before going to church receiving holy communion shows sincerity in christ. I want you to correct that perception first.It has nothing to do with sincerity or not just eating before you go to church. Clear that perception, you are on a public forum before people will start reading different negative meanings to it.

Now to your question, I will answer based as a former catholic now fully atheist. The fasting is just to make you prepare yourself and make you worthy of receiving the Eucharist. Besides, The First reading, Responsorial Psalm, Second Reading, Gospel and The priest's sermon are already way more than an hour so why bother. I'm running low on battery but will come back to reply when fully recharged. Meanwhile you need to mention people like Ubenedictus and Italo, catholics on NL to help you out.
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by tranxo(m): 1:59pm On Jun 28, 2015
Adultnextdoor:
That teaching like you said is Catholic. It has nothing to do with Christianity.
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:43pm On Jun 28, 2015
tranxo:
That teaching like you said is Catholic. It has nothing to do with Christianity.

this is just funny!

What?

Are Catholic no longer Christain?
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:45pm On Jun 28, 2015
kevoh:

Nowhere in the Catholic church's doctrine that says fasting before Mass( not just going to church) is a sign of sincerity. It's a pity that as a Catholic faithful you have no idea of the true doctrines of your church. Fasting is encouraged an hour before you receive the Holy Eucharist not before you go to church/mass. You know the significance of your holy eucharist, so i don't need to tell you. According to the church's canon law:

you are generally right.

And thanks for inviting me.

What made you revise your faith to atheism
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by tranxo(m): 4:49pm On Jun 28, 2015
Ubenedictus:

this is just funny!

What?

Are Catholic no longer Christain?
The TEACHING is not a Christian teaching, no matter where it was taught.
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:53pm On Jun 28, 2015
Adultnextdoor:

i don't know where you were taught this but it isn't exactly true.

All catholics are encouraged to fast for an hour before receiving holy communion, just an hour! (sick and old people are exempted and water does not break the fast)

If you were born in 1910 then it would have been about 3 hours or even starting from midnight till the time for mass in the morning.

Today nobody is told to go to church with empty stomach, please if you are attending a 6pm mass the nothing stops you from eating breakfast and lunch.

Also this law does not concern those who for one reason or the other do not receive communion.

Edited at about 5:40
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by Adultnextdoor(m): 5:24pm On Jun 28, 2015
Ubenedictus:

i don't know where you were taught this but it isn't exactly true.

All catholics are encouraged to fast for an hour before receiving holy communion, just an hour! (sick and old people are exempted and water does not break the fast)

If you were born in 1910 then it would have been 3 hours. Nobody is told to go to church with empty stomach, please if you are attending a 6pm mass the nothing stops you from eating breakfast and lunch.

Also this law does not concern those who for one reason or the other do not receive communion.
.....hmm... I see
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:28pm On Jun 28, 2015
tranxo:
The TEACHING is not a Christian teaching, no matter where it was taught.

It is a most funny this to make such emphatic statements on what constitute Christian teaching when it seems you are ignorant of Christian teaching yourself.

The practice of fasting along with worship is a most ancient practice in the Christian Church, the practice is older that all protestants churches and communities. We see the 1st hint of fasting while in worship in the bible Act 13:2a "while they were all worshiping the Lord and fasting..."

"From the very earliest time the custom was observed of administering the Eucharist to the faithful who were fasting. Toward the end of the fourth century fasting was prescribed by many Councils for those who were going to celebrate the Eucharistic Sacrifice. So it was that the Council of Hippo in the year 393 issued this decree: 'The Sacrament of the altar shall be offered only by those who are fasting.' Shortly afterward, in the year 397, the Third Council of Carthage issued this same command, using the very same words. At the beginning of the fifth century this custom can be called quite common and immemorial. Hence St. Augustine affirms that the Holy Eucharist is always received by people who are fasting and likewise that this custom is observed throughout the entire world".

My dear incase you don't know the council of Hippo and Carthage are the council that gave us the bible that you use in bragging around today.

So if you claim the practice of fasting before the eucharist is not a Christian practice then you may also throw away your bible because the council that gave you the bible and a great catalogue of early Christian rightly teach that it is a Christian practice.

If your church isn't practicing it that is your cup of tea, but you can't come and start pontificating on what are Christian practices and what are not when you yourself is ignorant of the practices of the Christian church before the 20 century.

Respect owe gi.
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:38pm On Jun 28, 2015
Adultnextdoor:
.....hmm... I see
i just edited that post
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by Adultnextdoor(m): 5:50pm On Jun 28, 2015
Ubenedictus:

i just edited that post
.....Reseen!....Thank you for this...
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by tranxo(m): 6:01pm On Jun 28, 2015
Ubenedictus:

It is a most funny this to make such emphatic statements on what constitute Christian teaching when it seems you are ignorant of Christian teaching yourself.

The practice of fasting along with worship is a most ancient practice in the Christian Church, the practice is older that all protestants churches and communities. We see the 1st hint of fasting while in worship in the bible Act 13:2a "while they were all worshiping the Lord and fasting..."

"From the very earliest time the custom was observed of administering the Eucharist to the faithful who were fasting. Toward the end of the fourth century fasting was prescribed by many Councils for those who were going to celebrate the Eucharistic Sacrifice. So it was that the Council of Hippo in the year 393 issued this decree: 'The Sacrament of the altar shall be offered only by those who are fasting.' Shortly afterward, in the year 397, the Third Council of Carthage issued this same command, using the very same words. At the beginning of the fifth century this custom can be called quite common and immemorial. Hence St. Augustine affirms that the Holy Eucharist is always received by people who are fasting and likewise that this custom is observed throughout the entire world".

My dear incase you don't know the council of Hippo and Carthage are the council that gave us the bible that you use in bragging around today.

So if you claim the practice of fasting before the eucharist is not a Christian practice then you may also throw away your bible because the council that gave you the bible and a great catalogue of early Christian rightly teach that it is a Christian practice.

If your church isn't practicing it that is your cup of tea, but you can't come and start pontificating on what are Christian practices and what are not when you yourself is ignorant of the practices of the Christian church before the 20 century.

Respect owe gi.
Thanks for the usual Catholic history lesson. But for emphasis, the below statement was what I was DIRECTLY responding to...
...as a christian(Catholic),i was taught to always go to church with an empty stomach to show sign of sincerity for christ.
So you can save your history lesson for your fellow Catholics who do not know Catholic doctrines.
Ekenekwaa m gi.
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by italo: 6:54pm On Jun 28, 2015
Adultnextdoor, the Church asks us to fast for an hour before communion to help us prepare for the awesomeness of receiving the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ. It so happens that in most parishes in Nigeria on Sundays, the parts of the mass before communion already last an hour or more, as Kevoh said.

We know that fasting is a way to make our minds alert to the things of the Spirit.

Don't mind those criticising the Eucharistic fast. It is because they don't have Jesus in the Eucharist. What they have is biscuit and juice...so they don't have to fast for that.

On a serious note, try to improve your knowledge of the faith...so that Atheists and Protestants won't be yabbing you.

God bless you.
Re: Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:27am On Jun 29, 2015
I jumped!

tranxo:
Thanks for the usual Catholic history lesson. But for emphasis, the below statement was what I was DIRECTLY responding to...
...as a christian(Catholic),i was taught to always go to church with an empty stomach to show sign of sincerity for christ.
So you can save your history lesson for your fellow Catholics who do not know Catholic doctrines.
Ekenekwaa m gi.

and crash landed.

It seems I came on hard on this one, atleast the history lesson will help those who were unaware.

(1) (Reply)

Drums In Mountain Of Fire / Can One Really Purchase The Holyspirit By His Own Effort? / Tb Joshua's Evil Doings Finally Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.