Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

My Poultry Farm - Part 2 - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Poultry Farm - Part 2 (43572 Views)

The Snake I Killed In My Poultry Today (photos) / Help- My Poultry Birds Are Dying / The Tiny Egg I Saw In My Poultry Pen Today (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 3:02pm On Jul 25, 2015
UPDATE: i made a foolish mistake and now they suffer from a respiratory disease. The problem was ammonia. I noticed it some weeks ago but I did not take action fast enough to clear the litter which was about 3cm thick.
Medication: Tylodox, keproceryl and multivit. I also added aspirin.
Lesson: If your pen is not well ventilated, don't use thick litter. Use just enough so that you'll clean the pen weekly. Better still, clean the pen whenever u perceive the slightest smell of ammonia. This is bc the concentration of ammonia is above safe level to chickens when the human nose can detect it. Clean wet spots around drinkers daily. Note: you can't detect the lowest ammonia concentration by standing up. You have to bend down to bird level.
The pen is built against a wall and it is not that well ventilated. We suppose to have built a better pen by now but there is currently a problem with area touts that demand for money b4 u can build anything.
This respiratory problem have lasted for about 2wks now, and except for the occassional sneezing, they look healthy and eat well.
P.S: I welcome contributions and criticism. I've seen only few.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by NICOGRAVITY: 6:21pm On Jul 25, 2015
FarmTech:

I can't access mail and whatsup now. Having someone to manage farm for u have always been problematic from stories i hear. If you're not there to supervise a lot can go wrong.

I use it as a guide. And yes, they follow the weight but not exactly.

Thanks so much, I just want to give it a trial with about 350k.
Am entrusting it into the hands of a brother, I would want him to see you for training and mentoring.
Thanks.
I can call you if I have your contact number.
Thanks so much for your time, I don't take it for granted at all.
God bless you greatly in Jesus name, amen.
Have a nice day sir.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 12:42am On Jul 26, 2015
NICOGRAVITY:

Thanks so much, I just want to give it a trial with about 350k.
Am entrusting it into the hands of a brother, I would want him to see you for training and mentoring.
Thanks.
I can call you if I have your contact number.
Thanks so much for your time, I don't take it for granted at all.
God bless you greatly in Jesus name, amen.
Have a nice day sir.
Wlcm. U can contact me on FB with Ikeme henry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by BELEXYFARMS(m): 12:04pm On Jul 26, 2015
FarmTech:

Broilers can be at 16kg/m2, eg if u are targeting 2kg final weight, it is 8 birds per m2. I don't know about cockerels.

Thanks
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Juliana7: 8:22pm On Jul 26, 2015
@farmtech, pls what is d function of d ASPIRIN u added?
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 11:17pm On Jul 26, 2015
Juliana7:
@farmtech, pls what is d function of d ASPIRIN u added?
It's used to reduce pain and inflammation.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 28, 2015
Ikeme is it d FB profile with fabregas? U hardly add friends.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 2:56pm On Jul 28, 2015
obakovich:
Ikeme is it d FB profile with fabregas? U hardly add friends.
I have over 20 friend requests, pls bear with me, I'll add u guys soon. I'll also reply the mails. What do u mean by "fabregas"?
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 28, 2015
I would like to start with 200 broilers and 25 Point of lay turkey for xmas. What will be d feedn for d broilers in terms of bags of feed?

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by johnhack: 6:37pm On Jul 30, 2015
visited farm tech' farm today. dis guy is doing very well. I see him on top. he really takes care of his farm and you guys needs to see dis farm. below is pix I snapped dia
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 1:50am On Jul 31, 2015
obakovich:
I would like to start with 200 broilers and 25 Point of lay turkey for xmas. What will be d feedn for d broilers in terms of bags of feed?
It's better to stick to one type of bird in a farm bc of diseases. For broiler feeding, you can calculate it from FCR. Broiler have a FCR of about 2:1, meaning that to attain 1kg live body weight, they need 2kg of feed. So if you are targeting 2kg body weight, assume that each broiler will consume 4kg feed.

4 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 1:51am On Jul 31, 2015
johnhack:
visited farm tech' farm today. dis guy is doing very well. I see him on top. he really takes care of his farm and you guys needs to see dis farm. below is pix I snapped dia
Wlcm bro. The pic didn't upload.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 2:05pm On Aug 01, 2015
UPDATE: Sickness now over. Unfortunately 2 died, bringing total mortality to 25 birds. 582 are now left. Mortality now 4.12%. I pray it will not pass 5%.

2 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Gheritage(m): 12:30am On Aug 04, 2015
FarmTech:
UPDATE: Sickness now over. Unfortunately 2 died, bringing total mortality to 25 birds. 582 are now left. Mortality now 4.12%. I pray it will not pass 5%.
God will help u keep the rest...continue with the good work sir
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 1:18am On Aug 04, 2015
Gheritage:
God will help u keep the rest...continue with the good work sir
.. Tnks.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Whynotthetruth(m): 4:50am On Aug 06, 2015
FarmTech:

Tnks.

Thanks for your updates...but we aren't seeing pictures as you promised...cheesy thanks
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 2:10pm On Aug 06, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Thanks for your updates...but we aren't seeing pictures as you promised...cheesy thanks
I'll do that when I subscribe for a 2.5k data plan.
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by shininstar42: 2:49am On Aug 10, 2015
FarmTech:

I'll do that when I subscribe for a 2.5k data plan.

For wch network pls
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 5:44pm On Aug 11, 2015
shininstar42:

For wch network pls
.. Mtn, 4.5G
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 5:44pm On Aug 11, 2015
shininstar42:

For wch network pls
.. Mtn, 4.5G
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by shininstar42: 1:49am On Aug 12, 2015
FarmTech:

Mtn, 4.5G

For 2500? 4.5GB, what's d code pls
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Gheritage(m): 9:03am On Aug 18, 2015
no more updates?
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by aralgreen: 2:33pm On Aug 18, 2015
@farmtech is there any drug to give the birds that prevents their droppings from smelling
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by enilowo(m): 8:42am On Aug 19, 2015
Just send 120 to 131 on your mtn line that's what I use too
shininstar42:

For 2500? 4.5GB, what's d code pls
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 10:39pm On Aug 19, 2015
Gheritage:
no more updates?
UPDATE: we've been giving the routine lasota. On day 64 they were given kamorov killed vaccine. He charged N9.54/bird and 2000 service charge. Some days after the vaccination, we have to give antibiotics when we noticed signs of respiratory problem. We gave tylodox, keproceryl and vitamins
On day 92 they were injected with Trivalent Salmonella vaccine via the neck skin. The man charged N16.5/bird for vaccine and N1500 service charge.
Dau 93: PYTHON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Python crawled in through a narrow space just below the zinc. It came from the bathroom of a neighbouring yard and they alerted us. The LGA where I stay don't kill python, so we have to throw it into a bush (but if it had killed any chicken, I would've strangled it with my bare hands). We've blocked the access area with wire gauge.
Week 14 we dewormed. The first one was @week 8.
Day 100: they were debeaked. 2 birds later died as a result. We gave tylodox and vitamins 2 days before and 2 days after debeaking.
As for pictures, that will be later.

2 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 10:41pm On Aug 19, 2015
aralgreen:
@farmtech is there any drug to give the birds that prevents their droppings from smelling
I've read of animalcare's Garbitech.

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by davidzfarm18(m): 10:54pm On Aug 19, 2015
aralgreen:
get larvaecide. it works wonder

2 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by aralgreen: 11:09am On Aug 21, 2015
thanks davidzfarm18 and farmtech
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Tomi777(f): 2:57am On Aug 28, 2015
Pls can i mix brewery waste with broiler feed?If yes,can the birds take it frm day1? thanks....
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by FarmTech(m): 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2015
Brewer's waste is high in fiber and chickens don't like high fiber diets. You can still use it but not for starters and inclusion level will be very low.

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by shininstar42: 12:20am On Nov 29, 2015
FarmTech:
In this thread/topic, I'll take you along on my journey as I raise my DOC. This is my second batch. I welcome your advice and criticism. In case you don't know, I have written about my first experience under the thread My Poultry Farm. But a lot of posts were lost when Nairaland suffered from hackers.

Number and Type of Birds: 607 brown day old chicks from Crown Hatchery, Issele-Ukwu, Delta State.

Mortality so Far: Total of 22 chicks died. 5 died due to DOC screening test at the lab. 1 was found dead on arrival. 6 died from avoidable causes. Others died due to respiratory problem – they find it difficult to breath.

Cost/Chick: N180.
DOC Screening: It was done on day 2 and the cost was N7000. The test covers serological test and antibiotic sensitivity test (AST).  Through serological test you’ll get a vaccination plan suitable for your birds. The later (AST) was for Staphylococcus and Candida spp. It helps you to know the best antibiotics that will work against those bacteria. In my case, Gentamicin and Streptomycin were effective while Oxytetracycline, Furaltadone, Collistin etc were not effective.

Was DOC Screening Useful? Yes! They found out that the chicks have low resistance against Newcastle and Gumboro diseases and I have to vaccinate them fast! They recommended giving gumboro on day 5, followed by Immucox on day 6 and lasota on day 7. But due to some reasons, I have to give the vaccines on days 6,7 and 8 respectively. Most of the chicks that died did so before and some days after these vaccinations, meaning that if I had followed the ‘normal vaccination plan’, there would have been more death.

Brooding: We used kerosene stoves and lamps, but next time I plan investing in gas brooders that cost about N13k. With gas brooders, brooding will be easier and even cheaper, free of clumsiness. For bedding, I used rice hull and covered it with nylon for the first few days (I did this to prevent the chicks from eating the bedding). When I uncovered it, I noticed some molds on the rice hull. I have to remove the affected spots because mold can be dangerous to chicks. I even suspect it could have contributed to the respiratory problem the birds suffered from. Next time I won’t be covering the bedding.

Feeding: We use top feed and feed them ad libitum (i.e. feed is always available).

Vitamins: When I checked how much spent on vitamins for our last batch, I have to buy 1 carton this time around. I bought 1 carton of Vitalyte for N14,720. A carton contains 32 satchets.

Merek’s Vaccination: You can see the vaccination plan in the DOC screening result. Marek’s vaccination was given on day 25. The vaccine cost N3500 and workmanship N3000.

Pls are u in abuja
Re: My Poultry Farm - Part 2 by Gheritage(m): 2:43pm On Nov 30, 2015
We did not even see ur output...how was it all abt...I mean the end of the production

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gaboon Viper In My Farm (Photo) / Is Turkey Profitable To Give Me N70k Or More Weekly Find Out Here / My Noiler Birds Poultry Experiment (AMO Noilers)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.