Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,705 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Please Review My Personal Website - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Review My Personal Website (6188 Views)

Please Review My Price comparison engine / please review my small python(django) web app / How I Created My Personal Website Ground Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 10:30pm On Jun 30, 2015
Evening folks, I finally came around to building a portfolio site and I would like to have it torn apart reviewed by the able folks on nairaland. It's a very simple design and it's just one page. It's still a work in progress and I would like to improve it.

I hope to put it on a proper domain soon

Here's the link: http:// b i t .l y / 1BVereX (Please remove the spaces after copy, then paste thanks. Nairaland is messing with the link)
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by mlm20: 11:06pm On Jun 30, 2015
you link is not clickable sir
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Craigston: 3:27am On Jul 01, 2015
(I am viewing your portfolio on opera mini.)
I like the simplicity. I don't have much knowledge about portfolios and such, so I can't tell how professional it is.
I like the contact form: good idea.
Did you use a template? The braces around Chinedu aren't cooperating.
Your choice of colours is important. Apply some colour theory/psychology and use it to your advantage.
Though you are not a firm, branding yourself a little can help.
Do you use any other technology for your work? Add them.
I like your work. I wish you more success.

1 Like

Re: Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 11:12am On Jul 01, 2015
mlm20:
you link is not clickable sir
Yeah, I don't know why but when I try to link to the page using Nairaland's BBcode tag for inserting hyper-links ([url][/url]), it cuts off some parts of the link and so I decided to type it out directly. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by AAinEqGuinea: 11:23am On Jul 01, 2015
I like the simple color scheme and layout.
Craigston:
I like the simplicity. I don't have much knowledge about portfolios and such, so I can't tell how professional it is.
Your choice of colours is important. Apply some colour theory/psychology and use it to your advantage.

Feature more of your work.

otherwise, the site looks good
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Nmeri17: 11:36am On Jul 01, 2015
blueyedgeek:
chairmo pick yo phone naa cry cry cry
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 11:51am On Jul 01, 2015
Craigston:
Cool, that was what I was aiming for; simplicity above anything else.

Thanks, what do you like about the contact form? How do you think it can be improved?

No, I did not use a template, it's all built from scratch using HTML + Css / Sass ( bourbon + bitters + neat + refills ) + Javascript
The brace were used purely for aesthetic reasons with a fancy font face to boot (But opera mini doesn't support @font-face rule hence it doesn't display that way. I'll remove it for opera mini since it's pointless on the browser).

The lack of color or little use of color was intentional as I wanted it to just be dead simple and responsive.

You are right about that. How do you think I can improve on that aspect?

My 'technologies' are HTML, CSS and JavaScript and I think I mentioned it there clearly. When I do gain more skills and learn new technologies, I'll add them in as well.

Thank you! Your comment is very much appreciated.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 11:53am On Jul 01, 2015
Nmeri17:
chairmo pick yo phone naa cry cry cry
Sorry bro, I'm trying to reply your mail.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Nmeri17: 11:58am On Jul 01, 2015
blueyedgeek:
Sorry bro, I'm trying to reply your mail.
owky. That stuff deadline na today. 5:30. so I need spikes to vet it before then.

@topic this your site nor be here o cheesy
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 12:40pm On Jul 01, 2015
Nmeri17:
owky. That stuff deadline na today. 5:30. so I need spikes to vet it before then.
I've replied your mail bro.

@topic this your site nor be here o cheesy
What does this mean?
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 12:42pm On Jul 01, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:
I like the simple color scheme and layout.

Feature more of your work.

otherwise, the site looks good
Thanks! Comment appreciated.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Craigston: 2:04pm On Jul 01, 2015
blueyedgeek:

Cool, that was what I was aiming for; simplicity above anything else.

Thanks, what do you like about the contact form? How do you think it can be improved?
The contact form is okay and encourages potential clients to make the decision to contact you. It makes it easier for them since they can just do it immediately. Having your work phone number there may be a good idea. If you have a LinkedIn or an elance account, put it there (let all your work accounts be interlinked)

No, I did not use a template, it's all built from scratch using HTML + Css / Sass ( bourbon + bitters + neat + refills ) + Javascript
The brace were used purely for aesthetic reasons with a fancy font face to boot (But opera mini doesn't support @font-face rule hence it doesn't display that way. I'll remove it for opera mini since it's pointless on the browser).

The lack of color or little use of color was intentional as I wanted it to just be dead simple and responsive.
You can make it simple and still use colors correctly. Do you know that gray scales have different on moods as they vary between black and white? Just a hint.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_psychology
www.helpscout.net/blog/psychology-of-color/
www.forbes.com/sites/amymorin/2014/02/04/how-to-use-color-psychology-to-give-your-business-an-edge/

You are right about that. How do you think I can improve on that aspect?
I may come back to this. No answer for now.

My 'technologies' are HTML, CSS and JavaScript and I think I mentioned it there clearly. When I do gain more skills and learn new technologies, I'll add them in as well.

Thank you! Your comment is very much appreciated.
If you use HTML5 and CSS3, specify them. You use SASS? Specify it. Any CMS or libraries? These can be subtly added to give the 'he's-the-man' impression. People seem to fantasize over the latest technologies and forget the core.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Nmeri17: 10:27pm On Jul 01, 2015
blueyedgeek:
I've replied your mail bro.

What does this mean?
seen bro. you're far too kind. gist boku o cheesy cheesy

by "no be here" I mean, the portfolio too tight!! your aesthetics game is on level 100 cheesy I'm even considering shifting that church's site and other projects to you as beautician/florist wey u be grin

1 Like

Re: Please Review My Personal Website by cyrielo(m): 11:24pm On Jul 01, 2015
Your design is cool, you've really improved cool See you @ bootcamp on monday tongue
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 7:14am On Jul 02, 2015
cyrielo:
Your design is cool, you've really improved cool See you @ bootcamp on monday tongue
You got into Andela as well? I would like to meet you there ooo.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 7:15am On Jul 02, 2015
Nmeri17:
seen bro. you're far too kind. gist boku o cheesy cheesy

by "no be here" I mean, the portfolio too tight!! your aesthetics game is on level 100 cheesy I'm even considering shifting that church's site and other projects to you as beautician/florist wey u be grin
Lol, florist no be am oo. I don't think I've even gotten to half of 100% but I appreciate the sentiments bro.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 02, 2015
Nice
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 7:22am On Jul 02, 2015
Craigston:

The contact form is okay and encourages potential clients to make the decision to contact you. It makes it easier for them since they can just do it immediately. Having your work phone number there may be a good idea. If you have a LinkedIn or an elance account, put it there (let all your work accounts be interlinked)
I've added my linked in account there. I don't have a work phone number yet sha but you're right, it would be a good idea to add it there as well.

You can make it simple and still use colors correctly. Do you know that gray scales have different on moods as they vary between black and white? Just a hint.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_psychology
www.helpscout.net/blog/psychology-of-color/
www.forbes.com/sites/amymorin/2014/02/04/how-to-use-color-psychology-to-give-your-business-an-edge/
Yeah, I read something about color psychology on smashing magazine once like that. I'm still working on becoming better with using colors in general

I may come back to this. No answer for now.
Cool

If you use HTML5 and CSS3, specify them. You use SASS? Specify it. Any CMS or libraries? These can be subtly added to give the 'he's-the-man' impression. People seem to fantasize over the latest technologies and forget the core.
You know I always find it funny when people separate HTML, CSS, HTML5, CSS3 as separate skills all independent of each other when in fact they are just new versions of the existing languages but what is good for business is good for business sha.

3 Likes

Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 02, 2015
blueyedgeek:
I've added my linked in account there. I don't have a work phone number yet sha but you're right, it would be a good idea to add it there as well.

Yeah, I read something about color psychology on smashing magazine once like that. I'm still working on becoming better with using colors in general

Cool

You know I always find it funny when people separate HTML, CSS, HTML5, CSS3 as separate skills all independent of each other when in fact they are just new versions of the existing languages but what is good for business is good for business sha.

You should get some books on color theory.

Your one page website is good, I did not review it much.
I checked only your pencil project and it isn't fully responsive on mobile. Checked with ucbrowser for Android.

Html5 is actually quite different as it adds a lot of new technologies, CSS 3 builds on css 2.1 adding more and more features along the way. so you are right about css and css3

Your 'I code', 'I design' should link to respective projects.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 11:29am On Jul 02, 2015
dhtml18:
Nice
Thanks oga at the top! how far with your tutorial na?
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 02, 2015
It is hanging. . . .
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by guente02(m): 3:51am On Jul 03, 2015
Boy.
I'm definitely going to get to this level.
Viewed it on my mobile device (ucweb) and to me its futuristic and quite noticeably simple. Keep it up.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Nmeri17: 2:11pm On Jul 03, 2015
blueyedgeek:
Lol, florist no be am oo. I don't think I've even gotten to half of 100% but I appreciate the sentiments bro.
I wonder what else u wanno accomplish in ui undecided
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 03, 2015
Nmeri17:
I wonder too because I was like wow, when I saw the UI. . .maybe he wants to make the UI dance and sing. . . . . .
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 6:31pm On Jul 03, 2015
guente02:
Boy.
I'm definitely going to get to this level.
Viewed it on my mobile device (ucweb) and to me its futuristic and quite noticeably simple. Keep it up.
Thanks, comment appreciated.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 6:32pm On Jul 03, 2015
Nmeri17:
Believe me, the user interface is what your end users uses to judge your brand 9 out of 10 times. If it looks good and functions well, then you are doing something right.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by blueyedgeek(m): 6:34pm On Jul 03, 2015
dhtml18:

I wonder too because I was like wow, when I saw the UI. . .maybe he wants to make the UI dance and sing. . . . . .
Dance and sing bawo? hehehe..... coming from you, highly appreciated.

By the way, you have moved your tutorial again, remember this is what you did with your JavaScript tutorial as well, kept moving it until people lost interest.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Nmeri17: 7:09pm On Jul 03, 2015
dhtml18:

grin grin juss free the guy
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Nairalander01: 5:07pm On Jul 07, 2015
Though this is kind of coming late, I don't think I agree less with all that has been said.
I just want to add that the contact form occupies most part of my screen on pc, I would suggest (cos I'm not an authority in this) that it be centralized as that to me will make a lot of sense.

And like somebody suggested above include a phone number that you can be reached on to the top of the contact form. It mustn't be a work phone number, even your personal number will do.

I have attached screen shots to further explain this.

The first is what it looks like and the second what I think it should look like

Re: Please Review My Personal Website by timotew: 7:45pm On Jul 07, 2015
Nice and Impressive. God work.
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by bizycodin: 7:44pm On Jul 09, 2015
Cool.. Keep it up son!
Re: Please Review My Personal Website by Nastydroid(m): 8:08pm On Jul 09, 2015
I love the simplicity

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? / 10 Greatest Computer Programmers In History / 8 Reasons To Use Php In 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.