Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,364 members, 7,954,474 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:56 PM

270 Reasons Women Choose Not To Have Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 270 Reasons Women Choose Not To Have Children (708 Views)

That Feeling When Woman Is 40 And she does'nt have Children of her own / Real Reasons Women Add Weight After Wedding / 5 Reasons Women Prefer Male Hairdressers To Female Hairdressers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

270 Reasons Women Choose Not To Have Children by feedthenation(m): 4:14pm On Jul 01, 2015
http://data.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/choosing-childfree?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Far too often, women who choose to be childfree are asked to defend their “immature,” “selfish” lifestyles. They’re told that motherhood is the “most important job in the world” and face accusations of living “meaningless” lives.

The number of childfree women is at a record high: 48 percent of women between the ages of 18 and 44 don’t have kids, according to 2014 Census numbers.

The Huffington Post and YouGov asked 124 women why they choose to be childfree. Their motivations ranged from preferring their current lifestyles (64 percent) to prioritizing their careers (9 percent) — a.k.a. fairly universal things that have motivated men not to have children for centuries. To give insight into the complex, layered decisions women make, HuffPost asked childfree readers to discuss the reasons they have chosen not to have kids and gathered 270 responses here.

1. I don’t envision having time to properly care for a child while also focusing on my career. There’s always a trade-off.
2. I have too many plans that children just don’t fit into.
3. I am an avid equestrian and travel a lot for my career in this field. I have several nieces and nephews from siblings that are a decade or more older than me. I have chosen to pursue my career, travel and enjoy my nieces and nephews along the way. It’s the best of both worlds.
4. Being financially stable is important, and with the world the way it is with no sign of positive change, taking care of myself is enough of a financial struggle.
5. I plan on commissioning into the military and wouldn’t want to put children through my deployments and constantly moving.
6. I found “my calling” working in Child Protective Services. I chose to give everything in an effort to make my little corner of the world a better place. How could I give completely of myself to these families if my heart were more devoted to my own children? How could I give completely to my own children if my heart ached for the families with whom I came into contact?
7. I have been taking care of my mother since I was in my 20s. She came to live with me after she had some hard times and hasn’t left. Now she’s in her 60s, and my husband and I are in our 40s. She’s been like having a teenager the 11 years we’ve been married. And then, also, my husband and I don’t have a strong desire to procreate. We think there are enough people in the planet. I know people think it’s “selfish” not to have kids, but I think it’s just the opposite. I don’t feel a need to “live on” through my children and their children.
8. I think having a child is one of the hardest jobs a person can undertake. Additionally, I don’t think our government or society supports parents enough. I prescribe to the idea that it takes a village. I personally don’t think I need to have children to become a complete person. Finally, I have never heard a parent say, “I love my children.” I usually hear, “I love my children, but…”

The rest can be found in the link above.
Of course, these women don’t owe anyone an explanation, but perhaps allowing the public to read their unique perspectives will open people’s minds to the wide range of mature, unselfish motivations that go into deciding not to have kids.
Re: 270 Reasons Women Choose Not To Have Children by 5minsmadness: 4:37pm On Jul 01, 2015
The first thing I did was to scroll down and see if you were jobless enough to post all 270 points shocked
Happily u weren't.
Re: 270 Reasons Women Choose Not To Have Children by tpiander: 4:38pm On Jul 01, 2015
@ topic

do what works for you.
Re: 270 Reasons Women Choose Not To Have Children by Stillfire: 5:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
Their reasons are valid. Interesting read.
Re: 270 Reasons Women Choose Not To Have Children by lilmax(m): 6:08pm On Jul 01, 2015
Okay so what's next? 270 reasons women choose not to have brain?
Re: 270 Reasons Women Choose Not To Have Children by joywendy(f): 7:22pm On Jul 01, 2015
5minsmadness:
The first thing I did was to scroll down and see if you were jobless enough to post all 270 points shocked
Happily u weren't.

Lol! Same here.

Anyways sorry op got to derail a lil bit. wassup with your story na? You just left us hanging

(1) (Reply)

What Is Bride Price In Enugu South - For A Delta Ibo / Scottish Boy Aged 3, Changes To Female. / This Guy Is Looking For His Long Lost Brother Named Segun Lakanse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.