Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,448 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report (20040 Views)

CBN Asks Nigerians To Report Any Bank That Fails To Give Them FOREX / MMM Nigeria: Ponzi Scheme, Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? TheGuardian / Dangote Group Sponsors Nigerians To India To Understudy Refinery Operations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 02, 2015
Nigerians are to pay even more for consumer goods in the coming weeks, following an increase of about 10% over the last six months, according to the Consumer Price Index (CPI) for the first half of 2015 as published Wednesday by SB Morgen.

The new raise will put more strain on the average Nigerian worker who is already spending about 60% of his earnings on feeding.

SB Morgen provides market intelligence and strategic communication services required for bridging the gap between African emerging market opportunities and investors from around the world.

The CPI reveals that both locally produced consumer goods and the imported goods have maintained fairly unstable prices over the last six months.

A rise will no doubt put more pressure on the average Nigerian worker who is already grappling with other social challenges as irregular salaries, fluctuating pump price and availability of petroleum products, insufficient power, etc.

“Living standards are expected to drop further with the upsurge in the price of consumables at a time when the average Nigerian is least empowered socially and financially to overcome the challenge posed by rising food and commodities price,” said Mr. Chinedu Ozordi, a director with SB Morgen.

The research, according to Mr. Ozordi, revealed that from a sample of 500 workers, 18 out of 20 workers who fall under the minimum wage category of N18, 500, spend almost 60% of their annual income on feeding, 20% on transportation and the other 20% on miscellaneous expenditure, leaving them with no savings.

According to the report, perishables, staples and edible consumables like tomatoes, pepper, yams, etc. recorded an average increase of 10% in price due to factors such as seasonal changes, increased production and handling costs and the weaker foreign exchange rates, prolonged period of fuel scarcity, etc. Household and personal hygiene products such as detergents, toiletries and cooking gas recorded minimal increase in prices as well.

“The average Nigerian is presently not well placed financially to cope with the rapidly increasing price of commodities,” stated the report. “This is due to the fact that the Public Service (the major employer of labour in the country), which is responsible for the source of income for a majority of the country’s workforce, has been bedevilled by serious cash flow problems thereby affecting the wages of their workforce. As a matter of fact, over 10 of the 36 states of the federation presently owe their workers at least 2 months wages, with others meeting their wage obligations beyond due dates. This in itself poses a serious challenge as the average Nigerian not only faces the challenge of increasing prices, but also a scarcity of funds to meet up the daily spending requirements.”

SB Morgen concluded its report by urging the federal, state and local governments to play their part in curtailing the persistent rise in consumer commodities to where they have reasonable control over, for example by encouraging small scale farming across the nation.

However, the firm warned that such interventions should not jeopardize vital food supplies and thus exacerbate the situation.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/185945-nigerians-to-pay-more-for-garri-yam-others-in-coming-weeks-report.html
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by ifeanyija(m): 6:57am On Jul 02, 2015
Negative change

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by ShowYourCertificate: 6:57am On Jul 02, 2015
What is happening? This is certainly not the change Nigerians wanted. This Dullard called Buhari needs to wake up o. This one is going to affect me directly. May God help us.

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by Young03(m): 7:01am On Jul 02, 2015
Baba go slow

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by Ridwanna(m): 7:01am On Jul 02, 2015

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by lokito: 7:01am On Jul 02, 2015
BVN

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by welbeck317(m): 7:04am On Jul 02, 2015
We have been paying more for every thing in naija since 1804
Nor be now e start o

E yaf tey

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by nobosaba(m): 7:08am On Jul 02, 2015
God dey o
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by seedgreen(m): 7:09am On Jul 02, 2015
Following
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by Sibrah: 7:10am On Jul 02, 2015
I will take the 10% increase to be adjustment from the increase of about 10%. of imported inputs like seed, chemicals.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by okangisaiah(f): 7:16am On Jul 02, 2015
Oh God we cry for mercy

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 02, 2015
I see a kind of French Revolution happening if the food of the common man is increased. Daura Dulllard is sinking this country daily

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by OnyeEgo1(m): 7:20am On Jul 02, 2015
Negative news do not affect me nor does it hamper my progression, my faith doesn't understand dat market analysis jargon.... Morning everyone[email]Negative news do not affect me nor does it hamper my progression, my faith doesn't understand dat market analysis jargon.... Morning everyone[/email]Negative news do not affect me nor does it hamper my progression, my faith doesn't understand dat market analysis jargon.... Morning everyone

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by nerodenero: 7:21am On Jul 02, 2015
SB Morgen concluded its report by urging the federal, state and local governments to play their part in curtailing the persistent rise in consumer commodities to where they have reasonable control over, for example by encouraging small scale farming across the nation.
The above is the immediate solution to the challenge but how many people are ready in the south to go into farming?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 02, 2015
Babaweak as a president is d worst to happen in this country.everything moving backward.our sport-zero.
Education-dropping
Economy - failing
Naira - falling
Now- femine is about to come.
Do u remember d picture of his cow and do u also remember the dream fellow had when he cow.
God save your people.
Hit like if u believe that femine,lacks and badluck from this government will not be the portion of ur family. Hit like

36 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by amanze15(m): 7:22am On Jul 02, 2015
shocked

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by HungerBAD: 7:22am On Jul 02, 2015
I can understand why everything increases in Nigeria, but for GARRI to go up? Buhari you are my HERO. But GARRI must not go up oh.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by ultrazone(m): 7:23am On Jul 02, 2015
wee

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by omenka(m): 7:23am On Jul 02, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
What is happening? This is certainly not the change Nigerians wanted. This Dullard called Buhari needs to wake up o. This one is going to affect me directly. May God help us.
Oh shut the hell up. When it is negative news, you say it is Buhari, when it is positive, you say it is a result of what Jonathan had done because it is still too early to start seeing the results of Buhari's admin.

What a bunch of Wailing Wailers. cheesy

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by yorke1: 7:23am On Jul 02, 2015
The Daura dullardd doesn't have a cue at all. Is only means of generating revenue now is oil. No idea because his brain is dead! Nigeria is on autopilot.
No minister up to this point. Dogo yaro is confused!

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by loomer: 7:23am On Jul 02, 2015
Is this the kind of life my mama use to warn me about? I'm in trouble, I'm in real big trouble.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by dipopooo(m): 7:24am On Jul 02, 2015
No comment
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by amanze15(m): 7:24am On Jul 02, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
I see a kind of French Revolution happening if the food of the common man is increased. Daura Dulllard is sinking this country daily
haba aunty u don't have to showcase stupidity just to get mentions grin can u plant common beans or tomato?! grin deluded kinds

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by sheymoni(m): 7:25am On Jul 02, 2015
K
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by kamez(m): 7:25am On Jul 02, 2015
hmmm dis weekend na agboju market I go spend my whole day food shopping.

I ve to stock my kitchen. with food stuff, and prepare for the rainy days ahead.

definitely not the kinda change I expected from this govt sha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by ITbomb(m): 7:25am On Jul 02, 2015
Change

One thing you can't take away from former President Jonathan administration is that throughout his tenure, there was no scarcity of food items even during the festive seasons.

Even fuel was in constant supply until the last minutes when the marketers wanted to play smart.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 02, 2015
omenka:
Oh shut the hell up. When it is negative news, you say it is Buhari, when it is positive, you say it is a result of what Jonathan had done because it is still too early to start seeing the results of Buhari's admin.

What a bunch of Wailing Wailers. cheesy

Is Buhari the messiah or should we expect someone else If he is then we ought to have seen some miracles by now following all the shouting that took place during the campaigns. embarassed

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by mistabiola: 7:27am On Jul 02, 2015
grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:27am On Jul 02, 2015
Hmmmmmm
In Nigeria nothing looks new again to my age.
Imagine, a Dollars now= N230.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by generaliy07(m): 7:28am On Jul 02, 2015
Meanwhile, read part three of the Diary of the village boy, EVENING OF SHOCKS, get your Shock-resistant Vest on before reading, lol

https://samueliyanu./2015/07/02/diary-of-a-regular-village-boy-3-the-evening-of-shocks/
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report by AGgal(f): 7:28am On Jul 02, 2015
Really?

Not for those of us who have farms. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Blessing Oyindenyefa Etifa “Blossom Bee" Buys Jeep For Her 30th Birthday / Nigeria Becomes Largest Importer Of Gasoline From China / Prices Of Goods, Services Hit All Time High In October

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.