Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,091 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

The Yoruba Flag - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Yoruba Flag (13102 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / Most Beautiful Flag In Africa / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Yoruba Flag by zmijugaloma: 1:09am On Jul 03, 2015
Hi,

I am an amateur flag enthusiast and I have (re) designed Yoruba flag.

The symbol in the middle is the crown of cowries symbolizing Olokun.

It is made of seven cowries that represent the seven grandsons of Olofin Oduduwa, the ancestors of the Yoruba.

The cowries are gold as the symbol of wealth.

The colours of the tricolor are Pan-African colours: red for the blood of the people, black for the colour of their skin and green for the abundance of wealth.

The order of colours is taken from the current flag I found on the internet.

The redesigned flag is unique, recognizable, simpler, bolder, more powerful and easier to reproduce.

Tell me what do you think about it?
Re: The Yoruba Flag by KingTblaise(m): 1:18am On Jul 03, 2015
Eshae toh bad gaan
Re: The Yoruba Flag by Nobody: 1:28am On Jul 03, 2015
it sucks badly like biafran's flag . Go and sleep bro. our Flag is green white green even if secession sud happen. na we design d Nigerian Flag. okay? it will still remain d same.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Flag by ajani1978(m): 2:28am On Jul 03, 2015
Male your proposal to Biafra not for Yoruba
Re: The Yoruba Flag by absoluteSuccess: 8:47am On Jul 03, 2015
Good effort, you try. But cowries are symbols of Aje which is identical with Eyo. that historical entity has not been appreciated, hence the mixed up. Forge ahead, we keep keeping on.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Flag by zmijugaloma: 12:22pm On Jul 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Good effort, you try. But cowries are symbols of Aje which is identical with Eyo. that historical entity has not been appreciated, hence the mixed up. Forge ahead, we keep keeping on.

Thanks for the comment!

Obviously I don't know much about the appropriate symbolism. I tried to find the right symbol for Olokun and I read somewhere that he/she wears a crown of cowries.

Is there anywhere on the internet I can find more about it, and also Aje/Eyo?
Re: The Yoruba Flag by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:55pm On Jul 03, 2015
Orisha Olokun. Nice! cool

3 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Flag by absoluteSuccess: 2:21pm On Jul 03, 2015
zmijugaloma:

Thanks for the comment!

Obviously I don't know much about the appropriate symbolism. I tried to find the right symbol for Olokun and I read somewhere that he/she wears a crown of cowries.

Is there anywhere on the internet I can find more about it, and also Aje/Eyo?

You have done the best for now, just improve on it.

If you have to please everyone other than the spirit of your inspiration,

they will lead you to the realm of analysis paralysis. Avoid it for good.

Never ever try pleasing everyone, they can't be pleased.

May the blessings of God and the ancestors abide with you.

Your design is nice and better off.

4 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Flag by zmijugaloma: 4:43pm On Jul 03, 2015
If you have to please everyone other than the spirit of your inspiration,

they will lead you to the realm of analysis paralysis. Avoid it for good.

Thank you for that!

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Flag by macof(m): 2:43pm On Jul 04, 2015
Why do people think 7 is a Yoruba number?
I would say 16 (merindinlogun)

16 Oju-odu
16 Princes of Ife

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Flag by amor4ce(m): 6:46pm On Jul 04, 2015
Re: The Yoruba Flag by macof(m): 10:29pm On Jul 04, 2015
amor4ce:
Ogbe Alara is the odu of our (omo oduduwa) nation, and these colours are not its. Perhaps Oyo (Yoruba) whose odu is Okanran meji can adopt it. I am Omo Oduduwa but not Yoruba.
Oh please this is nonsense. Stop this ethnic crisis
The name "yoruba" has come and stuck

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Flag by amor4ce(m): 3:16am On Jul 05, 2015
How is what I wrote nonsense? Your bad character as indicated in the nature of your reaction to opinions that differ from yours is the reason I've avoided any discussion with you on this forum.

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Flag by macof(m): 10:16am On Jul 05, 2015
amor4ce:
How is what I wrote nonsense? Your bad character as indicated in the nature of your reaction to opinions that differ from yours is the reason I've avoided any discussion with you on this forum.
your putting "yoruba" and "omo Oodua" as different things is what I mean by nonsense.
Am I supposed to care about what you think about me? Do I know you?

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Flag by amor4ce(m): 12:32pm On Jul 05, 2015
Yoruba is not Omo Oodua and Omo Oodua is not Yoruba. Else, prove that the Ketu, Popo, Sabe/Save, Ga, Ulukumi, Gbe, Mina, Ewe, Itsekiri, etc. families who are Omo Oodua are also Yoruba. Before colonialism only Oyo was referred to as Yoruba, and when colonialism is over the name Yoruba will not be forced down the throats of others. Oyo/Yoruba caused a lot of problems in a vain attempt to be seen as the one in charge, and the colonialists took advantage of the crisis to divide and rule the Omo Oodua.

Oduduwa is the ancestor of the Yoruba, but others who are non-Yorubas have Oduduwa as their ancestor as well. How is this nonsense when it is a well-acknowledged fact?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Flag by macof(m): 9:52am On Jul 06, 2015
amor4ce:
Yoruba is not Omo Oodua and Omo Oodua is not Yoruba. Else, prove that the Ketu, Popo, Sabe/Save, Ga, Ulukumi, Gbe, Mina, Ewe, Itsekiri, etc. families who are Omo Oodua are also Yoruba. Before colonialism only Oyo was referred to as Yoruba, and when colonialism is over the name Yoruba will not be forced down the throats of others. Oyo/Yoruba caused a lot of problems in a vain attempt to be seen as the one in charge, and the colonialists took advantage of the crisis to divide and rule the Omo Oodua.

Oduduwa is the ancestor of the Yoruba, but others who are non-Yorubas have Oduduwa as their ancestor as well. How is this nonsense when it is a well-acknowledged fact?

Gbe, Ulukumi, Ewe, Mina, Ga are omo Oodua ? How please? Do these people acknowledge that? While Ulukumi speak a dialect of Yoruba (its nt called a dialect of "omo Oodua"wink i doubt that they acknowledge Oduduwa...I expected to see Bini
You seem not to understand the point here, Yoruba/omo Oodua/Omo Karo ojire all refer to one people. ..I don't know why you want to plant seed of disunity among the yoruba people with this

And to your "well acknowledged fact" you should know that not all Yorubas have an ancestral link to Oduduwa, some whole towns don't especially in the Okun/Ekiti area

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Flag by amor4ce(m): 10:09am On Jul 06, 2015
The people of Idanre are Omo Oodua; their ancestor was a direct son of Oodua, buut Oyo has succeeded in her version of our history in getting lots of people to forget this. The Idanre people still call themselves Omo Oodua, and this son of Oodua was nicknamed Olofin and took with him when leaving Ile-fe Oodua's royal paraphernalia including his crown which both Benin and Oyo have tried stealing but failed.

If we are to move forward smoothly we need to know clearly where we are coming from, including our collective and individual nomenclatures so we won't repeat mistakes but rather better value our bonds. This is not an attempt to "to plant seed of disunity among the yoruba people", which is a false accusation.

I am from Remo, and you have not proven that I am Yoruba. To insist on calling me Yoruba is akin to the oyinbo slave masters imposing strange names on their slaves.
Re: The Yoruba Flag by macof(m): 4:05pm On Jul 06, 2015
amor4ce:
The people of Idanre are Omo Oodua; their ancestor was a direct son of Oodua, buut Oyo has succeeded in her version of our history in getting lots of people to forget this. The Idanre people still call themselves Omo Oodua, and this son of Oodua was nicknamed Olofin and took with him when leaving Ile-fe Oodua's royal paraphernalia including his crown which both Benin and Oyo have tried stealing but failed.

If we are to move forward smoothly we need to know clearly where we are coming from, including our collective and individual nomenclatures so we won't repeat mistakes but rather better value our bonds. This is not an attempt to "to plant seed of disunity among the yoruba people", which is a false accusation.

I am from Remo, and you have not proven that I am Yoruba. To insist on calling me Yoruba is akin to the oyinbo slave masters imposing strange names on their slaves.

gringringrin this is just hilarious. You didn't even answer my questions.

Lemme ask, as a Remo, are you Ijebu?
Re: The Yoruba Flag by Nobody: 12:02am On Jul 07, 2015
macof:

Gbe, Ulukumi, Ewe, Mina, Ga are omo Oodua ? How please? Do these people acknowledge that? While Ulukumi speak a dialect of Yoruba (its nt called a dialect of "omo Oodua"wink i doubt that they acknowledge Oduduwa...I expected to see Bini
You seem not to understand the point here, Yoruba/omo Oodua/Omo Karo ojire all refer to one people. ..I don't know why you want to plant seed of disunity among the yoruba people with this

And to your "well acknowledged fact" you should know that not all Yorubas have an ancestral link to Oduduwa, some whole towns don't especially in the Okun/Ekiti area

Harbingers of tales like this are trying very hard night and day to stick this divisive bullsh!t in the minds of Yorubas who already see themselves as one under the umbrella of Oodua through shared socio-political system, replicated economy, language as well as war and diplomacy.

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Flag by sanmibukunmi: 5:14pm On Jul 07, 2015
This is the Flag not dt one....
Re: The Yoruba Flag by amor4ce(m): 5:52pm On Jul 07, 2015
I have friends from Togo and Ghana that know they are Omo Oodua and they live with us. They remember their origin as Ile-Ife and that they emigrated therefrom due to aggression fro Oyo. They also have Ifa priests and go on pilgrimages to sacred sites in places like Ile-Ife and Ekiti for our traditional festivals - I can provide video evidence of their active Ifa priesthood. Are they not of the same family with us? Can you prove that they are not Omo Oodua? Can you prove that they are not one with us? Can you provide any reason why we all should not be under the same umbrella? Can you prove that what they say is "divisive bullsh!t" and "nonsense"? Can you prove that you are not being divisive by excluding them?

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Flag by macof(m): 9:03pm On Jul 08, 2015
9jacrip:

Harbingers of tales like this are trying very hard night and day to stick this divisive bullsh!t in the minds of Yorubas who already see themselves as one under the umbrella of Oodua through shared socio-political system, replicated economy, language as well as war and diplomacy.
I think his case is just identity crisis and unwillingness to see what 21st Century Yoruba is - a united ethnicity
Re: The Yoruba Flag by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 09, 2015
macof:
I think his case is just identity crisis and unwillingness to see what 21st Century Yoruba is - a united ethnicity

Maybe so, but in recent times tales such as the one the person put up have been circulating strongly. Reason I'm saying this is that, apart from its steady rise in this forum, certain folks in the academia have also taken it upon themselves to redraw Yoruba history and how united we were - I have experienced several classes with a Hausa lecturer who would present the Northern elements as united but the Yoruba as fractured at every given opportunity; I always cringe in horror when he rolled out this content in his Ethnic studies lecture.
Re: The Yoruba Flag by macof(m): 2:59pm On Jul 09, 2015
9jacrip:

Maybe so, but in recent times tales such as the one the person put up have been circulating strongly. Reason I'm saying this is that, apart from its steady rise in this forum, certain folks in the academia have also taken it upon themselves to redraw Yoruba history and how united we were - I have experienced several classes with a Hausa lecturer who would present the Northern elements as united but the Yoruba as fractured at every given opportunity; I always cringe in horror when he rolled out this content in his Ethnic studies lecture.

thats very true, Why do people see the North more united than Yoruba? people usually come up with different schemes to suggest the disunited among us but nithing of such is discussed about the North?
this problem exists among the Igbos at a big scale
Re: The Yoruba Flag by amor4ce(m): 6:09pm On Jul 09, 2015
The Ogu/Egun are not Yoruba. Have you sought their opinion? Or do you include them by force?

Oduduwa has more than one wife, and they all bore him children.
(1) Eni-bi-eni
(2) Olokun Seniade
(3) Osara
(4) Omitoto-Ose in whose memory Odun Ose is celebrated
(5) The mother of Aremitan whose nicknames was Ohun and Olofin; he is the first king of Idanre and had 2 elder siblings nicknamed Ashe and Epe who were killed before he was born.

These five I am aware of but don't yet know if there are others and if (4) is the same person as (5). Also, (1) gave birth to 8 sets of twins, that is, 16 children. Can you prove that Oduduwa had only 7 grandchildren?

One of the wives of the current ICIR president is Ewe from Togo and she knows she's omo Oodua. Is Ewe the same as Yoruba? Is she lying?

Is your dream of an autonomous Omo Oodua nation based on the pseudo-borders of the oyinbo colonialists, or is it based on the pre-colonialization borders?

Shouldn't we attempt to find out where our borders were prior to the oyinbo and Fulani jihads?
Re: The Yoruba Flag by amor4ce(m): 9:02am On Aug 22, 2015
Angelique Kidjo is Omo Oodua, but is she Yoruba? Should she and others from her group be excluded because of the pseudo-borders set up by the oyinbo to divide us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_VjmiPDZmU
Re: The Yoruba Flag by Nobody: 9:21am On Aug 22, 2015
amor4ce:
Angelique Kidjo is Omo Oodua, but is she Yoruba? Should she and others from her group be excluded because of the pseudo-borders set up by the oyinbo to divide us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_VjmiPDZmU

She's Fon. Her mother is Yoruba with roots in Iseyin, Nigeria.
Re: The Yoruba Flag by amor4ce(m): 9:45am On Aug 22, 2015
Radoillo:

The Fon have Ifa as their spiritual system. They are also Omo Oodua.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bLJqMANCI0
Re: The Yoruba Flag by macof(m): 9:27pm On Aug 22, 2015
amor4ce:
The Fon have Ifa as their spiritual system. They are also Omo Oodua.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bLJqMANCI0
Smh. urhobo(ipha), igbo (with AfA) must be Omo Oodua

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Flag by macof(m): 9:29pm On Aug 22, 2015
Radoillo:

Well from her personality and career. .she's no less yoruba than Fon
Re: The Yoruba Flag by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 23, 2015
macof:

Well from her personality and career. .she's no less yoruba than Fon

Well, if her 'personality and career' are equally Fon and Yoruba, good and fine. Amor4ce asked the question Is she Yoruba?, and I only tried to lay it out as it is.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aba, Ngwa, Abiriba And Arochuwkwu Are Ancestral Ibibio Land. / Akarigbo Of Remo Visits Ayangbure Of Ikorodu / Alaafin Begs Aliko Dangote To Extend Employment Generation Drive To Oyo Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.