Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,267 members, 7,954,039 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:18 AM

Same-sex Marriage Decision Prompts Polygamist To Apply For Marriage License - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Same-sex Marriage Decision Prompts Polygamist To Apply For Marriage License (478 Views)

Bisi Alimi Slams Senators Behind Anti Same Sex Bill (Photo) / US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage / Buhari, Obama And Same-sex Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Same-sex Marriage Decision Prompts Polygamist To Apply For Marriage License by sinkhole: 8:01am On Jul 03, 2015
A Montana man has
applied for a
marriage license to
wed a second wife
following last week’s
Supreme Court
decision to legalize
same-sex marriage
nationwide.
Nathan Collier says
Chief Justice John
Roberts’ dissent, in
which he argued
polygamy has deeper
historical roots and
the decision “would
apply with equal
force to the claim of
fundamental right to
plural marriage,” was
his inspiration.
Collier is legally
married to Victoria,
but on Tuesday the
polygamous trio
travelled to
Yellowstone County
Courthouse looking
to legally legitimize
the relationship
between Nathan and
a second woman,
Christine.
Try Newsweek:
subscription offers
"It's about marriage
equality," Nathan
told the Associated
Press. "You can't
have this without
polygamy."
Bigamy is currently
illegal in all 50 states,
which led county
clerks to initially
deny the application.
But a clerk returned
shortly after saying
they would check
with the Montana
Attorney General’s
office before issuing
a final answer by
next week. Nathan
plans to sue if the
application is denied.
"My second wife
Christine, who I'm
not legally married
to, she's put up with
my crap for a lot of
years. She deserves
legitimacy," he told
the AP.
America has met the
trailblazing Colliers
before— they’ve
appeared on an
episode of the TLC
show Sister Wives.
They were
excommunicated
from the Mormon
church for polygamy,
and are now
religiously
unaffiliated. They
collectively have
seven children, both
their own and from
previous
relationships.
U.S.

www.newsweek.com/same-sex-marriage-decision-prompts-polygamist-apply-marriage-license-349455
Re: Same-sex Marriage Decision Prompts Polygamist To Apply For Marriage License by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 03, 2015
T.R.I.O

"The Race Is On" for ftc.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Decision Prompts Polygamist To Apply For Marriage License by okangisaiah(f): 8:02am On Jul 03, 2015
Re: Same-sex Marriage Decision Prompts Polygamist To Apply For Marriage License by Pangea: 8:03am On Jul 03, 2015
American founding fathers will be turning over in their graves.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Decision Prompts Polygamist To Apply For Marriage License by sinkhole: 8:03am On Jul 03, 2015
I think the Montana man is right, if you consider same-sex marriage as OK then why demonizing poligamy which is practised in Africa?
America is ruining this world!
Re: Same-sex Marriage Decision Prompts Polygamist To Apply For Marriage License by philGeo(m): 9:07am On Jul 03, 2015
More wahala, why always American?
Re: Same-sex Marriage Decision Prompts Polygamist To Apply For Marriage License by Volksfuhrer(m): 9:57am On Jul 03, 2015
If same sex marriage is okay, legalizing polygamy shouldn't be a big task. Denying this man his due is crass hypocrisy.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Decision Prompts Polygamist To Apply For Marriage License by codedguy1(m): 10:10am On Jul 03, 2015
This is logical. If they can allow same sex marriage based on rights, why would they deny polygamy? Its also their right.

America, America! America!
Re: Same-sex Marriage Decision Prompts Polygamist To Apply For Marriage License by bjdon: 10:36am On Jul 03, 2015
10000% agree with the man. You can't have one without the other. The law of Bigamy became redundant the moment the Supreme court ruled Gay marriage legal. The logical extension of the supreme court judgement is that ALL marriage is legal, weather its polygamous or even incestuous, it's protected by the constitution.

(1) (Reply)

My Thoughts On Delay Of Ministerial Appointments. / Court Orders Nnamani’s Companies To Forfeit Assets To FG / My Plight, The Reality About Naoss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.