Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,650 members, 7,816,665 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail (38566 Views)

Yahoo Boy Sentenced To 6 Years In Jail For N7.8m Love Scam / Benue: Four-year-old Boy Rescued From Kidnappers After 10 Months (PIX) / Nigerian Dad Beats Son To Death In Dubai, To Be Deported After 10-Year Jail Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Swaggzkid: 6:27pm On Jul 03, 2015
This one goes to the person that commented second on the thread. »»»»The guy in question is educated, why I say so is from his write up.

Op are you sure that you were not guilty? And maybe while serving your prison terms you regretted and repented? And am sure that not you in the pics you posted.

And you can't tell us clearly what took you there, and I and other NL's would love to also see the marks of the torture and you toe nails you said were pulled off. I hope am not asking for too much.

Sorry for what you went through. But if am a movie producer I would have used your story to produce a blockbuster!.. grin grin
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by tsdarkside(m): 6:28pm On Jul 03, 2015
guy,,,welcome back,welcome back to the nightmare we call outside world....anyway,better a free man than locked up.. grin grin
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 03, 2015
so,naija prison don mature to d fact dat u dey browse inside prison ryyyt??

even u dey surf on nairaland... cos I went thru ur timeline nd ur date of registration self says it all

nawa..

cooked story
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jul 03, 2015
Emm... Don't visit any northern states o, their almajiri has started playing with bombs o.

And we have a dulllard as a president now, he's also a footballer known as the great "D.ULLARDINHO"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by tellwisdom: 6:32pm On Jul 03, 2015
Sorry, What is the meaning of this story?? sad
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by tetraman(m): 6:36pm On Jul 03, 2015
All praise to Almighty God. May we not fall into what Moses has fallen into. If you were wondering and we're too lazy to Google.....

Here is the Op's story.
SOURCE: http://write.amnestyusa.org/case/moses/
Moses Akatugba

TORTURED, BEATEN AND SENTENCED TO DEATH

Moses Akatugba was sixteen years old when he was arrested under suspicion of armed robbery in November 2005. Soldiers shot him in the hand and beat him on the head and back before taking him to the police station. Moses then spent more than three months in police detention, where he says that police officers repeatedly beat him with machetes and batons. He told Amnesty that they tied and hung him up for several hours, and then used pliers to pull out his toe and fingernails. Finally, Moses was forced to sign two pre-written confessions.

Last year, Moses Akatugba was sentenced to death for armed robbery, after eight years awaiting trial in prison. The sentence was based only on his forced confession and the testimony of the robbery victim, which was full of contradictions.

Moses was just a boy when he was arrested. His mother was never even informed of his arrest - she only found out the next day through a woman selling wares on the street. Under international law, he never should have been sentenced to death, as he was a child at the time of the crime.

The criminal justice system in Nigeria is weak, blighted by corruption and human rights violations. The use of torture is widespread and widely reported in Nigeria but most of the cases of torture by the security forces remain largely un-investigated.

5 Likes

Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by rheether(f): 6:38pm On Jul 03, 2015
Ha! Guy is still handsome..
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by kenoz(m): 6:41pm On Jul 03, 2015
WarRLaY:
But, why u no tell us wetin carry you go prison, deathrow for that matter ...
You took those words from my mouth... That's the very first question I have in mind to ask, after reading the first and the second paragraph of this Post.

Anyway I thank God for you.
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by vivaciousvivi(f): 6:42pm On Jul 03, 2015
Congrats my brother and welcome back to the land of the free!
Keep out of trouble o!
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by duperola(f): 6:43pm On Jul 03, 2015
Nigerians are always hasty in jumping to conclusion.not everyone in prison is a criminal.may God not let us b in d wrong/right place at d wrong time

2 Likes

Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by prospero5(m): 6:44pm On Jul 03, 2015
why don't you tell us what took you there in the first place
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by mcdokwe(m): 6:45pm On Jul 03, 2015
I am proud to have been part of the people who campaigned for your release,
DaPhilosopher:
When I called my mother from prison to tell her I’d been pardoned after 10 years in jail, she fainted.

I was told they had to pour water on her to revive her. Later, when she saw me for the first time after all those years in jail, she grabbed me and held me so tight. She wouldn’t let go for almost 15 minutes. The whole time she had tears of joy streaming from her eyes.

Football and juice: celebrating with my death row friends

I was also overwhelmed with joy when I found out about my pardon, at 4pm on 28 May. Initially I couldn’t even speak, I was so happy.

The day after hearing the news, I celebrated in prison by organising a football match between death row inmates and other prison inmates. I’d been the death row team football coach during my time in prison. We won the match 3-0! Everyone was so happy to play.

That Sunday I went to the prison church. I bought some biscuits and fruit juice to share with other inmates in church and an announcement was made that I was being released. Everyone was happy. I had friends in prison; I had been teaching English and Maths to fellow inmates and those students who were keen became my friends.

I was released a few days later. That first evening at home, my mother prepared a special dish – Okro soup with beef. The whole family ate together at the dining table. Afterwards, there was a party with family friends and we sang songs, played music and prayed.

We prayed for all the activists who campaigned for my release, those from Amnesty international and Justine Ijeomah [the Director of HURSDEF, Nigeria’s Human Rights Social Development and Environmental Foundation] and his wife, Goodness Justine. Drinks were shared around with everyone at the party.

The sleep of the free

The first night I slept in my new bed, I slept so well. What struck me most was that at 5am, I did not hear the prison wake-up bell. I waited for it, and then realised that it was not a dream, but in fact I really am free.

When I realised that, I felt freedom deep in my spirit. Things had changed for good. I went back to sleep and slept until 10am, fully enjoying my ‘freedom sleep’. My family came to wake me up but I told them to let me sleep longer. It was such a good sleep.

In those first days of freedom I bumped into an old school friend and he looked at me like he’d seen a ghost.

We have a local belief that if you pour sand on a spirit it will vanish, and he started to pick up sand from the ground and pour it on my body! I told him – ‘don’t pour sand on me, I’m alive, I’m not a ghost!’ At that, he touched me and hugged me: he thought I had been executed.

He told me he would never forget the last time he saw me before my arrest 10 years ago.

At home, everything felt strange to me, even though I’m so relieved to be free. Lots of things have changed in the 10 years since I was arrested: new bridges have been built and the use of laptop computers and phones is common now.

People keep asking me ‘What happened to your finger?

[After I was arrested] my fingernails and toenails were pulled out. The scars people see are the lasting marks that torture has left me with. When I wear sandals, seeing my toes reminds me of what I went through.

Torture affects people in so many ways. It’s inhuman: heating cutlasses on a fire and then flogging a person’s back is barbaric. It affects people mentally: it causes madness. They pass out because of the pain and admit to things they never did.

What I went through – the torture and being on death row – affected me in so many ways. It affected my plans for life and my ambitions at school. I spent ten years in jail. By now I could have finished school and have started working.

What struck me most is that you can live in a country where you can face so much tragedy for no reason, and yet still have to live there. I will always pray for change in Nigeria, but I advise others living here to be very careful, so that they will not fall victim to what I went through.

I’m joining the fight against torture

My plans now I’m free are to continue my education and get as far as I always dreamt – I want to be a doctor to fulfill my late father’s wishes.

But I’ll also be a human rights activist and help others who face the same challenges that I did. I have already filled out an application form and had a passport photo taken – the requirements for becoming a volunteer activist with HURSDEF.

The Director, Justine, welcomed me warmly as ‘Comrade Moses Akatugba’. I told him: Justine, I’m joining the fight against torture so that others will not go through the pain that I did.

If I have my way, and can stop torture, I will be the happiest man on earth. I don’t want any future generation to go through what I went through in that torture chamber.

Moses Akatugba was tortured to confess to a crime he says he never committed. His ‘confession’ was then used to sentence him to death.

On 28 May 2015, Moses was pardoned after nearly 10 years in jail. Over 800,000 of you around the world took action demanding justice

Moses Akatugba was tortured to confess to a crime he says he never committed. His ‘confession’ was then used to sentence him to death.

On 28 May 2015, Moses was pardoned after nearly 10 years in jail. Over 800,000 of you around the world took action demanding justice

http://vibes247.com/my-first-week-of-freedom-after-10-years-in-a-nigerian-jail/

3 Likes

Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by mcdokwe(m): 6:48pm On Jul 03, 2015
he shared someone's story, Moses was real
achemedez:

even u dey surf on nairaland... cos I went thru ur timeline nd ur date of registration self says it all

nawa..

cooked story
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 03, 2015
mcdokwe:
I am proud to have been part of the people who campaigned for your release,

May your life be long and happy
Bless

1 Like

Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by coogar: 6:58pm On Jul 03, 2015
WarRLaY:
But, why u no tell us wetin carry you go prison, deathrow for that matter ... oya write another essay

he was arrested when he was only 16 years old for stealing mobile phones. he wasn't an armed robber when he was arrested. the police tortured him to confess he was an armed robber so the death sentence could stick on him.

i signed the petition for his freedom through amnesty international UK so i am happy he's now gained his freedom. nigerian police is the most corrupt organisation in the world. they have probably allowed the real culprits of the crime to go scot free & they needed a substitute to punish for the crime.

6 Likes

Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by mcdokwe(m): 6:59pm On Jul 03, 2015
And Yours too
milychocs:

May your life be long and happy
Bless

1 Like

Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by otusnorahs(f): 7:02pm On Jul 03, 2015
Nothing like freedom. Bt u'd hv at least told d house what took u der, all the same I thank God for u, be careful were u find ursef next tym so u don't re-experience dis kind of life. Pele
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by dammieco(m): 7:04pm On Jul 03, 2015
phayvoursky:
I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE. BUT IF IT'S TRUE PRAISE BE TO GOD.

NIGERIAN PRISONS DE RELEASE PERSON ON DEATH ROW

WE DON DE GATHER SENSE

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

*WHAT TOOK YOU TO PRISON?

*IF THAT'S YOUR PIC AND YOU SPENT TEN YEARS IN PRISON; HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU GOT IN?

*YOU THOUGHT ENGLISH AND MATHS IN PRISON; WERE YOU THAT EDUCATED TO COMMIT A CRIME TO BE SENTENCED TO DEATH?
SECONDED
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by MKO4ever(m): 7:04pm On Jul 03, 2015
achemedez:

nawa..

cooked story

Guy you should be a CID ooo shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by virus04(m): 7:06pm On Jul 03, 2015
mehn..dis guy get P.h.d for prison oo..sotee e dey teach maths and english.. Dey no bail you?

Even armed robber dem no fit put am for 10yrs..

Wetin u do.. Abi u be abubakar shekau brother?
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by NobleG1(m): 7:09pm On Jul 03, 2015
You didn't state what you were accused of, but regardless of the crime, torture is an international crime.
It's a known fact that torture forces people to confess to crimes they didn't commit. It's wrong!

If you can't present, in a Court of law, an evidence of a crime committed by the accused, then you've no right to detain the accused! And torture is a criminal offence, coercion is also a criminal offence!

Unfortunately, Nigeria is a failed, lawless State. You're lucky they didn't kill you. Celebrate!
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by seanby4konji: 7:10pm On Jul 03, 2015
Wetin d OP smoke
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by inze(m): 7:12pm On Jul 03, 2015
Dannyset:
When I went tru the story, I forgot all what I termed to be problem, I put aside my unemployment status, and remembered that God has been there for me. U can only get education when ur free. U can only achieve ur dream when ur not in captivity. I remember I have to keep thanking God for what He's done for me and stop complaining for what He's yet to do. Above all, that I am not where am suppose to be today doesn't mean I should be in the prison, especially for what u know nothing about. Thank you Lord.
Say No To Torture. Prisons should Reform and not Deform.

Amen
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Raylight2(m): 7:22pm On Jul 03, 2015

Moses Akatugba was tortured to confess to a crime he
says he never committed. His ‘confession’ was then used
to sentence him to death.
that doesn't mean u didn't do it...u only said and obviously, the evidence spoke louder than your voice
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by eme1n(m): 7:22pm On Jul 03, 2015
DandyWalker:
That your advice is too casual. Do you know what he went through? If you know what real torture is, you would know it's not your business to advise the victim to forgive the perpetrators.

So I should advise him to go out and torture?? Park well abeg...
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by dat9jaguy(m): 7:36pm On Jul 03, 2015
eme1n:

So I should advise him to go out and torture?? Park well abeg...

grin grin grin grin

No mind am bros.

1 Like

Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by babamadiba(m): 7:37pm On Jul 03, 2015
droid007:
DON'T YOU PEOPLE READ!! They tortured a confession out of him and sentenced him to death. He was wrongfully convicted, he's an innocent man.

the same people that call buhari a dullard, can't read and simply comprehend these.
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by CountDracula(m): 7:39pm On Jul 03, 2015
fatdon2:
When you were in prison, you may have had only a few choices to make each day -- most of them were made for you. But in the community, just the sheer number of choices can cause you to feel stunned. Get an apartment, a job, go to school, date, buy a car, visit friends, there are many, many choices to make. You will feel overwhelmed, and that's okay -- the important thing is not to feel rushed into a bad decision or stay in bed all day to avoid making any decisions at all.
undecided uve a convict
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 03, 2015
The sentence was based only on his forced confession and the testimony of the robbery victim, which was full of contradictions.

Even if Nigeria justice system is fuucked up, even if you were released based on technicalities, there's nothing that will make a robbery victim who might happened to be an adult to lie on a 16 years old boy.

This story is false and was only arrived at to aid in the granting of clemency for this guy. When someone commits crime in Nigeria, they hide under the weakness of the nation's law in order to gain freedom.

We have seen it in the inability of the EFCC to prosecute Ibori, Aturu, Fani Kayode and even the inability of the NDLEA to extradite Kashamu. The fact that these men were freed by the court doesn't mean they didn't commit the crime but they took advantage of the weakness of the nation's justice system. This dude commited the crime but was freed because Nigeria justice system in crap !

So don't come here preaching torture when you should tell young Nigerians to get serious with their lives by avoiding crime.
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by luthorcorp: 7:46pm On Jul 03, 2015
pls no should doubt him as a prisonal coz he is absolutely honest about his experiences, inshort do we know there are many prisoners here on Nairaland,i have over five of them on whatsapp and each time they I upload pictures to me,i shed tears....majority of them might be guilty but what they face in prison gives a whole new meaning to the word "torture"
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 03, 2015
... welcome back to Nairaland

Do you live in Akwa Ibom State? Do you relish the desire to own your own business with little start up capital and promising returns in investment? Do you hope to look into the mirror each morning and know you are talking to the boss? Are you enterprising?/Would you love to be? Do you have an aptitude for thinking out of the box? Then call or add me up on whatsapp 08085188110. You will be glad you did

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Prostitute Shows Off Goodluck And 'Back To Sender' Charms After Her Arrest.PICS / Man Wrongly Arrested For Murder Discharged After Spending 6 Years In Jail. PICS / Customs Officers Attacked By Smugglers In Ogun. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.