Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,284 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

How Do I Move Forward Now ? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Move Forward Now ? (2805 Views)

Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward / Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Move Forward Now ? by holy2(m): 3:30pm On Mar 04, 2009
Guys, it is a true story o. I am 30 yrs old. I have spent the last 12 years like a dream. it just wasted !! I droped out of High school for lack of sufficient money from my dad. we were so poor that , well, I dont want to remember, but I spent most part of my ss2 doing manial jobs to go to school, school was very far from my home more than 30 Km. I treked most times, and worked for two days to go to school, for the other three days.

Well, after my promotion to ss3, I left school, to continue with a long time job I got to fend for myself. School, wasnt part of my agenda then, and I lost it , my watchword was "survival". 12 years gone and now I dont know what went wrong and so much that I know the importance of School, now I want to further, I am brlliant and ready to do anything to go back to school,

I need advice on how to get on my track back, pls help,

worried fellow

Needless to say, I have oca & ocp in oracle 9i and 10 g. I know how to use  and good in administration of SQL server 2005 and windows server 2003 as well. I know a bit on Linux and I am very good with Windows XP and Vista operating systems. I know a little on system engineering as well. What I want guys is to go back to school and have degree. How do I do this ?

Pls Help me with whatever advice .!
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by FBS: 10:25am On Mar 05, 2009
holy?:

Guys, it is a true story o. I am 30 yrs old. I have spent the last 12 years like a dream. it just wasted !! I droped out of High school for lack of sufficient money from my dad. we were so poor that , well, I dont want to remember, but I spent most part of my ss2 doing manial jobs to go to school, school was very far from my home more than 30 Km. I treked most times, and worked for two days to go to school, for the other three days.

Well, after my promotion to ss3, I left school, to continue with a long time job I got to fend for myself. School, wasnt part of my agenda then, and I lost it , my watchword was "survival". 12 years gone and now I dont know what went wrong and so much that I know the importance of School, now I want to further, I am brlliant and ready to do anything to go back to school,

I need advice on how to get on my track back, pls help,

worried fellow

Needless to say, I have oca & ocp in oracle 9i and 10 g. I know how to use and good in administration of SQL server 2005 and windows server 2003 as well. I know a bit on Linux and I am very good with Windows XP and Vista operating systems. I know a little on system engineering as well. What I want guys is to go back to school and have degree. How do I do this ?

Pls Help me with whatever advice .!
did you needless to say? a lot of guys will kill to have all your afore mentioned certs even with their degrees.
Do you have a job?
seriously, cant see how you should have a problem. you already have an education, damn it.
If a degree is what you are after, (though, I dont know where you reside) you can do part time B.SC, M.SC etc. and since you are already on the computer lineage your problem is even no problem because you already know what course to study.
A lot of school offer such programmes.
except if this is a joke or something?
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by dae(f): 9:51pm On Mar 05, 2009
You sound extremely brilliant for someone who didnt finish highschool, i dont know much about those IT stuff, but i'd say, why dont you try getting yourself into some kinda professional course that'll give you a certificate/diploma or whatever, from there, you can crawl to the top of the ladder gradually gradually, dont give up sha,

Goodluck smiley
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by cheexy: 8:53am On Mar 31, 2009
I think you should do a part time programme while working somewhere. You are already very qualified.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 31, 2009
Hnmm, some people sha! Huh sad
@poster if u sure what u posted up there, u shldnt av much problems. All u need do is get some good advice from and also from higher academic peeps, especialy those in ur field
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by delaice(m): 11:25am On Apr 08, 2009
I think the poster's issue is the way many employees are treated in organisations if they do not have a degree. Its sad that a degree is seen as the be all and end all by many companies and wont hire/promote you without this, irrespective of how much you know about doing the job.

@poster
If this is the case. My first advice will be to do your SSCE/GCE (I imagine you have not, since you dropped out after ss2). After which you can undertake a part time degree at various institutions. You just have to be ready to sacrifice time.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by Hotstepper(f): 5:31pm On Apr 08, 2009
you are sure very brilliant. you should write JAMB and enter skool and with no time, u wil finish and u will be hot especially with the already skills you have.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by VirtuousA(f): 6:00pm On Apr 08, 2009
@ poster,
From your story it's obvious you don't have SSCE Cert. So i will advice you take GCE. Then from there, you could take a part time job as you further your education, or still get a full time job and take up a part time studies in any good university closest to you. As other people have said, you don't have a problem. Encourage urself and be determined to carry on with this challenging time. That will make you a man and after, you will look back and smile. It's just a matter of dy/dt (time). Good lock dear.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by obi123: 6:30pm On Apr 08, 2009
That u have IT skill is a plus for u already  , all u need to do is find out what marketable skills there are at the moment, i will recommend SAP or project management etc. u need to stand out , doing an IT course again will just blend u in with the masses. u need to look into offering something unique.
i mean i have a degree and a masters but i got my present job becos of my project management practitioner certificate

Moreso having a degree is not  key to getting a job in nija anyway , so why waste time, resources and a good proportion of ur life  studying for a computing degree  again when u know that even the so called universities dat offer such courses might not even have the adequate facilities to tutor u and of course u have endless strikes to contend with.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by venturesC(m): 6:47pm On Apr 08, 2009
I STILL ADVISE THAT YOU GO FOR ONLINE SCHOOLING OR THE OPEN UNIVERSITY AND STILL WORK ON YOUR SKILLS AND NEVER LEAVE IT COS IT WILL MAKE YOU TO BE WHERE YOU WILL BE IN FUTURE.

EDUCATION DOESN'T WORK FOR MANY IT WORKS FOR SOME AND NOT FOR SOME SO PLS HEAR ME.

THANKS A LOT

CARLOS VENTURES
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by Afam4eva(m): 7:01pm On Apr 08, 2009
Only if you finished secondary school. Secondary education is the most important of all, you don't need to go to the university in other to succeed in life. At leat you have OCA and OCP which can earn you nothing less than 200k monthly. That's much more than many graduates(the ones that have jobs) earn in Nigeria. I don't know why nigerians are so obsessed with certificates.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by UNLEASHED(m): 7:03pm On Apr 08, 2009
What else do you want??
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by dontexe(m): 7:36pm On Apr 08, 2009
I'll advice you to go for bcs (british computer society) professional examinations. It has three stages, and the exam is conducted twice in a year (april and october). The first stage is the certificate level, the second diploma, the third is professional graduate diploma (PGD), which is an equivalent of a bristish university BSc Degree. After the PGD, you can go for your masters in any university. www.bcs.org
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by biina: 1:50am On Apr 09, 2009
My advice to you (assuming sufficient income) is to enroll in a foreign online program in a university with a traditional campus like Florida Tech university and Colorado Technical university ( cant remember the UK ones) .
It will give you added credibility and compensate you for the 'wasted' time, both helping to justify your time and financial investment.
You should look for an IT related course where hopefully you can leverage your industrial experience.
Second consideration would be for Business and Management courses.
Your are likely too old for the rigors of the traditional program.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by factbox(f): 4:38am On Apr 09, 2009
there is no barrier in education,not even age,so poster be wise and be more good 4 urself depends on wat u wanna be in the nearest future in terms of being a carrier person or working 4 urself as in corporate org requesting ur service may almighty God help u,(amin)ise ko lowo,ibuukun oluwa ni mu ni la laisi lala,only Gob give wealth we are all just trying.philosophy of life is dat u should try and work den God shall crown ur effort ce finni.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by Outstrip(f): 5:51am On Apr 09, 2009
It's hard to give advice when I don't know where you live. If you are in the US then I would suggest that you take your GED and get in a community college and go part time to work toward your bachelors degree. You are smart if you have those certifications so I know you are more than capable.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by agbosteve1: 9:55am On Apr 09, 2009
Certificate is just a paper and that is what society want, look for it and give it to them. If you can afford a foreign degree that is much faster though expensive. you can check out RDI at Ikoyi , grin
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by ohaechesi(m): 10:46am On Apr 09, 2009
@poster

The very best advise has been unleashed on this thread. moreover, you are still a young man and can feet in any field. you are just at your power age, meaning that your age is no barrier to your education. good luck
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by Nobody: 10:51am On Apr 09, 2009
Nigerian HR departments are freaks for paper qualifications

you want to be in biz for your self, no need for a tertiary certification

but if you want to work, esp for a bank etal, you need a degree, at least a 2,2. its just the way it is.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by SHOOLAH: 10:58am On Apr 09, 2009
agbosteve1:

Certificate is just a paper and that is what society want, look for it and give it to them. If you can afford a foreign degree that is much faster though expensive. you can check out RDI at Ikoyi , grin

Please what is RDI , i think i will be interested too
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by ayobase(m): 12:08pm On Apr 09, 2009
As FBS had said,
some guys will kill to
even get what u have gotten.

Well, degree is good to have,
but I will advice u to stick on Part time!

U are a GURU men!
Some has this degree, but not match with u!

Still happy 4 u!
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by agabaI23(m): 12:20pm On Apr 09, 2009
Poster,

If you know what you did to get your OCA &OCP and 10g, go ahead and do the same and you will get a degree.
Look for job in the university if it is possible. Secretarial jobs that you can do on shift bases will give you some money and some time to pursue your dream. Trust me, if 12 years went by like a dream, 4 years will go by like trance
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by parislomo(f): 1:19pm On Apr 09, 2009
and with your command of english you don't seem to have a huge problem! So go get a GCE form asap! Come to think of it, with all you've achieved so far, I beg to disagree YOU WASTED 12YRS! Take a chill pill on yourself and just love yourself! All da best,
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by smooooooth: 3:15pm On Apr 09, 2009
take a part time programme, prolly in computer science, if u in lagos u can try Lasu. u are okay with the skills u already have.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by Becomrrich: 7:55pm On Apr 09, 2009
Holy, all this computer thing people ask you to read and you pay money for are 419. trust me i know so. You have to know 419. it is 419

all those computer learn this, learn that. it is 419. my brother. xp and vista,  na 419,  unix   na 419, 

do not let them fool you,

. I see people waste thier time and money over useless thing by 419,  it is 419 my brother. you have to stay away from 419 people

Look I even know a nigerian woman, which 419 people broke her home. na so one call himself pastor one of your famour church . lie to this woman. she saw a demon in her homes. ran the name with several people discovered na 419. 
he even had a friend. who claim he is MD BRT in nigeria. by the time we cross check with BRT website and call thier number. Nobody have heard of his name before. Another call to be a sister in the lord. Informant. in such this mumu sister just kept on believe 419 people. because he claim he is a pastor of the church.

My brother do not be a mumu,  419 plenty.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by soloqy: 1:27am On Apr 10, 2009
@Becomerrich

my goodness! How does all this talk about 419 and fake pastors fit into this topic? He asked for advice.

@poster
I cant say you have a problem. There are people in worse situations. You have some skills to even help you live a good life without a degree.

But since you think its an issue in your life, I would advise you to do some part time studying cause, the way you are taking it, you would always feel unfulfilled if you dont get that degree.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by Czarskit(m): 10:31am On Apr 10, 2009
~ Why am I finding this hard to believe? ~
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by archemedes: 1:42pm On Apr 10, 2009
Becomrrich:

Holy, all this computer thing people ask you to read and you pay money for are 419. trust me i know so. You have to know 419. it is 419

all those computer learn this, learn that. it is 419. my brother. xp and vista,  na 419,  unix   na 419, 

do not let them fool you,

. I see people waste thier time and money over useless thing by 419,  it is 419 my brother. you have to stay away from 419 people

Look I even know a nigerian woman, which 419 people broke her home. na so one call himself pastor one of your famour church . lie to this woman. she saw a demon in her homes. ran the name with several people discovered na 419. 
he even had a friend. who claim he is MD BRT in nigeria. by the time we cross check with BRT website and call thier number. Nobody have heard of his name before. Another call to be a sister in the lord. Informant. in such this mumu sister just kept on believe 419 people. because he claim he is a pastor of the church.

My brother do not be a mumu,  419 plenty.

I THINK YOU NEED SOME EXPOSURE!! A PRIMARY SCHOOL DROP OUT SHD BE WISE ENOUGH TO KNOW SCAM. WHAT HAS XP, VISTA AND UNIX GOT TO DO WITH 419 NIGERIA? WE STILL HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by Becomrrich: 1:54pm On Apr 10, 2009
sology, it shows you too be mumu , you be mugu, no fall mugu,. look for the family above i gave, they went from a family income of $6000 after tax to $0 after the pastor demon story, 410 kills.

There is nothing like training for xp and vista,  na 419. Let me tell you dont be upset that i call you mugu, them do catch me mugu before. that why nigeria churches abroad  you have to be careful.  na so them call themself brother and pastor, na so dem self me mugu,   

that one of the many reason i am against 419. i once said if some pastor pray, i would not say amen. do you want to know why. i do see  419 pastor for here. and informant.

they have information and agent. they collect information and stand on the alter. God is talking to me. there is a brother , who just got himself a new car, can that person stand up. ( na based on information from informant.)  everybody bring clap, praise the lord. Pastor X is hearing from God.  my brother na 419.

they have informant, who share information. look my mouth see that my mouth no fit talk on line. they break people home for the greed of money. some of this churches now have special duties,  Informant officer  i mean,  undercover,   

they would tell you God is speaking to them, but na informant tell them. that sister kemi and her husband just buy a house.  While they would just say, there is somebody here, God is telling them thier is a family in this church that just got a house.  na 419.

they even follow people about,   

there are more 419 pastor among nigeria churches than true men of God. My eyes do see.  If someone tell you he is a pastor. Put it in your heart that he is either 50% 419 or real pastor. Claim pastor and having a church is the way this 419 people now use. it is legal and the law allows it. My God have mercy on people.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by biina: 5:14pm On Apr 10, 2009
Becomrrich:

sology, it shows you too be mumu , you be mugu, no fall mugu,. look for the family above i gave, they went from a family income of $6000 after tax to $0 after the pastor demon story, 410 kills.

There is nothing like training for xp and vista,  na 419. Let me tell you dont be upset that i call you mugu, them do catch me mugu before. that why nigeria churches abroad  you have to be careful.  na so them call themself brother and pastor, na so dem self me mugu,   

that one of the many reason i am against 419. i once said if some pastor pray, i would not say amen. do you want to know why. i do see  419 pastor for here. and informant.

they have information and agent. they collect information and stand on the alter. God is talking to me. there is a brother , who just got himself a new car, can that person stand up. ( na based on information from informant.)  everybody bring clap, praise the lord. Pastor X is hearing from God.  my brother na 419.

they have informant, who share information. look my mouth see that my mouth no fit talk on line. they break people home for the greed of money. some of this churches now have special duties,  Informant officer  i mean,  undercover,   

they would tell you God is speaking to them, but na informant tell them. that sister kemi and her husband just buy a house.  While they would just say, there is somebody here, God is telling them thier is a family in this church that just got a house.  na 419.

they even follow people about,   

there are more 419 pastor among nigeria churches than true men of God. My eyes do see.  If someone tell you he is a pastor. Put it in your heart that he is either 50% 419 or real pastor. Claim pastor and having a church is the way this 419 people now use. it is legal and the law allows it. My God have mercy on people.
There is no reason for you to express your ignorance so brazenly.
Re: How Do I Move Forward Now ? by MadMax1(f): 1:38pm On Apr 11, 2009
Man, some people with degrees aren't as qualified as you. Where are you? If you're in NG, there are universities that will accept you via Direct Entry. You need to have GCE qualifications. I'm surprised you have the smarts to get all the IT stuff and yet haven't settled the O level issue. Take GCE. You can apply to universities while awaiting the results. Use your qualifications to work and support yourself while you get a degree.
You may also take SAT if you're interested in an American education and think your scores may be good enough to qualify you for scholarship. Get a degree, but don't let your life be all about that. You can rack up more professional qualifications and start consulting. You may start your own business, and get a part-time or online degree.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pharmacology. . .is 'eat' Relevant In Nigeria? / Self Training Soap Era / Top List Of Worst Companies That Use And Dump Their Staff In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.