Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days (24357 Views)

I Love My Dogs! / Dogs In Nairobi Banned From Having Sex In Public. / Popular Dogs In Nigeria And Their Breed Info (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by owner(m): 5:29pm On Jul 04, 2015
Good day Bosses...

Please I need your Urgent help and Advice.

I was at my Kennel 3 Days ago and my 4 Month Old Rottweiler could not eat anything instead she was Vomitting and Passing out Blood from her Anus, before the Arrival of the Vet, The Dog has given up.

Just Yesterday, The Vet came around and he Vaccinated all the Dogs but we lost another Boarboel puppy with the same Problem the First Rot had.

Just this Morning again, I lost another Puppy Boarboel and a 5 Month old Rot Vomitting and Blood from the Anus again.

Please am Afraid and Discouraged, I don't know whats happening..

Someone said it might just be Parvo, Please who has experience this Issue before, Kindly put me through on what to do so this Issue won't happen again, The Vet can't help.

Pls help!!!!

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by femiranking28(m): 5:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
That's Parvo a good vet should know what to do I lost my dog to that some years back

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by Jetjacky(m): 5:54pm On Jul 04, 2015
CC: lalasticlacla , Ishilove please do take this front page, it needs awareness so the op could get his issue addressed. thanks cool
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by Magpies(m): 8:06pm On Jul 04, 2015
treatments should be ongoing and evacuate ASAP.
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by Magpies(m): 8:06pm On Jul 04, 2015
treatments should be ongoing and evacuate ASAP. the kennel is infected

2 Likes

Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by knyte(m): 8:14pm On Jul 04, 2015
It would be more reasonable to get the other dogs out of there and b separated individually so u can tackle and for of infection easily without it being passed without control.

6 Likes

Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by darvic1515(m): 8:49pm On Jul 04, 2015
That's parvo not doubt about it, had an experience some years back, the point is its not all vets that knows how to handle the treatments, so its a 50 50 thing. 1st take the remaining dogs outta that environment and fumigate the kennel and the environment with hypo bleach, then get a good vet asap, do an ORS solution mixed with enough glucose to give them energy and try as much as you can to force feed them, if you stay around akure I can recommend a vet that i know can handle parvo well.
Good luck and pls don't hesitate to pray, pray for the rest.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by owner(m): 10:35pm On Jul 04, 2015
Thanks Magpies and Knyte..

darvic1515:
That's parvo not doubt about it, had an experience some years back, the point is its not all vets that knows how to handle the treatments, so its a 50 50 thing. 1st take the remaining dogs outta that environment and fumigate the kennel and the environment with hypo bleach, then get a good vet asap, do an ORS solution mixed with enough glucose to give them energy and try as much as you can to force feed them, if you stay around akure I can recommend a vet that i know can handle parvo well.
Good luck and pls don't hesitate to pray, pray for the rest.

Please Kindly help Communicate the Vet number to 08077633177... Am in Osogbo and the Kennel is here also.
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by darvic1515(m): 10:55pm On Jul 04, 2015
owner:
Thanks Magpies and Knyte..

Please Kindly help Communicate the Vet number to 08077633177... Am in Osogbo and the Kennel is here also.
Haaaa oshogbo, he's an elderly man, I'm not sure he can travel down to oshogbo, and like wise u bringing ya dogs down here, I'll suggest u ask around for a good registered vet, or better still go to a government vet, I'm sure osun state will have a vet clinic, go there my friend and act fast, parvo virus is very contagious.
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by knyte(m): 11:48pm On Jul 04, 2015
I have a vet I can recommend too but all the way from Ibadan. And as darvic1515 said it's nt guaranteed.i take it that this just happend to ur new kennel u just established. Pls take d other dogs away from dere asap, ur vet shld av given adviced u on dt
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by Prodeegee(m): 12:56am On Jul 05, 2015
owner:
Good day Bosses...

Please I need your Urgent help and Advice.

I was at my Kennel 3 Days ago and my 4 Month Old Rottweiler could not eat anything instead she was Vomitting and Passing out Blood from her Anus, before the Arrival of the Vet, The Dog has given up.

Just Yesterday, The Vet came around and he Vaccinated all the Dogs but we lost another Boarboel puppy with the same Problem the First Rot had.

Your vet vaccinated You should sue him!

Just this Morning again, I lost another Puppy Boarboel and a 5 Month old Rot Vomitting and Blood from the Anus again.

Please am Afraid and Discouraged, I don't know whats happening..

Someone said it might just be Parvo, Please who has experience this Issue before, Kindly put me through on what to do so this Issue won't happen again, The Vet can't help.

Pls help!!!!

It's of no use relocating any dog as by now all of them already have a strain of the virus.

My question is, how many dogs are left and what breed?

Are the others showing any signs of diarrhea?

The poo texture is your first sign.

Pls reply asap
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by GRACEGLORY: 2:05am On Jul 05, 2015
The dogs were not immunized that's the reason they were exposed to the parvo virus.
They should have been given some shots of DHPP at some points in time: Commonly called the canine distemper vaccine, this is the most common combination vaccine given to dogs.
The initials DHPP refer to the diseases included in the vaccine. Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo and Parainfluenza

Canine parvovirus (commonly called parvo) is a highly contagious viral disease that can produce a life-threatening illness in puppies and dogs. It can be transmitted by any person, animal or object that comes in contact with an infected dog’s feces.

Puppies, adolescent dogs, and adult dogs who are not vaccinated are at risk of contracting the virus. Protecting your puppy or dog from parvovirus could save his life.
Because of the cost of treatment, some pet owners elect to treat their dogs at home rather than leave them at the hospital. This can be a significant challenge because the vomiting and diarrhea of parvo creates a contagious mess that must be carefully contained.

Effective sanitizing and disinfecting of your dog's area is critically important to prevent disease transmission.

NOTE:
Because parvo is so resistant, most common disinfectants aren't enough to kill the virus. Household bleach at a 1:30 dilution in water will do the trick, as will potassium peroxide (look for brand name Trifectant or Virkon).

If you opt to treat your dog at home, you should talk with your vet about how to eliminate the infective agents in your pet's environment.

Obviously, a parvo-infected dog must be isolated to prevent spreading the virus.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by Prodeegee(m): 4:03am On Jul 05, 2015
GRACEGLORY:
The dogs were not immunized that's the reason they were exposed to the parvo virus.
They should have been given some shots of DHPP at some points in time: Commonly called the canine distemper vaccine, this is the most common combination vaccine given to dogs.
The initials DHPP refer to the diseases included in the vaccine. Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo and Parainfluenza

Canine parvovirus (commonly called parvo) is a highly contagious viral disease that can produce a life-threatening illness in puppies and dogs. It can be transmitted by any person, animal or object that comes in contact with an infected dog’s feces.

Puppies, adolescent dogs, and adult dogs who are not vaccinated are at risk of contracting the virus. Protecting your puppy or dog from parvovirus could save his life.
Because of the cost of treatment, some pet owners elect to treat their dogs at home rather than leave them at the hospital. This can be a significant challenge because the vomiting and diarrhea of parvo creates a contagious mess that must be carefully contained.

Effective sanitizing and disinfecting of your dog's area is critically important to prevent disease transmission.

NOTE:
Because parvo is so resistant, most common disinfectants aren't enough to kill the virus. Household bleach at a 1:30 dilution in water will do the trick, as will potassium peroxide (look for brand name Trifectant or Virkon).

If you opt to treat your dog at home, you should talk with your vet about how to eliminate the infective agents in your pet's environment.

Obviously, a parvo-infected dog must be isolated to prevent spreading the virus.
https://k9angelsrescue./2011/09/01/protecting-dogs-from-deadly-parvovirus/

2 Likes

Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by owner(m): 5:30am On Jul 05, 2015
Prodeegee:

Your vet vaccinated You should sue him!

It's of no use relocating any dog as by now all of them already have a strain of the virus.

My question is, how many dogs are left and what breed?

Are the others showing any signs of diarrhea?

The poo texture is your first sign.

Pls reply asap

I have like 10 Dogs Left.

1 Adult Caucasian
2 Adults Boarboel
1 Adult Rot
1 Puppy Napo
1 Puppy St. Bernand
1 Puppy Caucasian

The Adult Caucasian Poo was very Watery as at yesterday morning........

Please help!!!
1 Puppy Boarboel
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by phebean008(f): 7:39am On Jul 05, 2015
Get a good vet asap!!!! It's parvo.
But, it's very difficult to treat at this stage. That's s essence of vaccination. Dhlpp vaccination at 1k for each dog would have prevented this
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by DidiLove1: 8:41am On Jul 05, 2015
owner:

1 Adult Caucasian
2 Adults Boarboel
1 Adult Rot
1 Puppy Napo
1 Puppy St. Bernand
1 Puppy Caucasian

Please help!!!
1 Puppy Boarboel

Excuse my asking, but are you a dog breeder?
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by Prodeegee(m): 10:17am On Jul 05, 2015
owner:

1 Adult Caucasian
2 Adults Boarboel
1 Adult Rot
1 Puppy Napo
1 Puppy St. Bernand
1 Puppy Caucasian

Please help!!!
1 Puppy Boarboel

But why keep somany dogs?
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by knyte(m): 10:56am On Jul 05, 2015
Prodeegee:

But why keep somany dogs?
Remember his kennel in osun, I think he's just new into d whole thing. His kennel is just newly established sef and this happens

1 Like

Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by Prodeegee(m): 11:50am On Jul 05, 2015
knyte:

Remember his kennel in osun, I think he's just new into d whole thing. His kennel is just newly established sef and this happens
ooooooh...yeah I remember.

Mhen! You shdnt have gotten somany dogs at once.

Get 'white flagyl' and tetracycline.
Ciprotab and doxycycline
Then avomine or so...cnt remember the name of that tiny drug that stops vomit.

Call me and I'll prescribe the dosage.

Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by younglawya(m): 1:05pm On Jul 05, 2015
[quote author=Prodeegee post=35506959]ooooooh...yeah I remember.

Ciprotan and doxycycline

Call me and I'll prescribe the dosage.

Those drugs are too much for the liver of an already compromised dog. Flagyl, multivitamins, amoxillin and the the vomit drug are alright. Lots of ORS and force feeding is also advised.

Soak the whole kennel with hypo and separate all the dogs

Start all the dogs whether showing signs of illness or not on amoxillin and flagyl and the vomit drug and force feed them

Wen handling the dogs, use gloves and wash with hypo after

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by owner(m): 5:45pm On Jul 05, 2015
God Bless everyone..

I will sure Use the Drugs as Suggested by Prodeegee and Younglawya.

GOD Bless You Guys plenty
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by aguizm(m): 5:54pm On Jul 05, 2015
Hmmmm be strong bro. Please how can one prevent this parvo virus? Its so scary.
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by phebean008(f): 6:30pm On Jul 05, 2015
aguizm:
Hmmmm be strong bro. Please how can one prevent this parvo virus? Its so scary.
Can be prevented by vaccinating ur dog at weeks 8, 12 and 16.... don't use biocan vaccine...use Pfizer
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by phebean008(f): 6:33pm On Jul 05, 2015
Prodeegee:
ooooooh...yeah I remember.

Ciprotab and doxycycline

Call me and I'll prescribe the dosage

Y use tetra, cipro and doxycycline together U'll just cause more damage than help the dog. Flagyl intravenous injection is OK, u can also give gentamicin intravenous also for quick action...then give darrows solution with dextrose! Ors too will help
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by aguizm(m): 7:08pm On Jul 05, 2015
phebean008:

Can be prevented by vaccinating ur dog at weeks 8, 12 and 16.... don't use biocan vaccine...use Pfizer
I vaccinated my dog against it while she was still a puppy. 3 shots at the cost of @3,500 at interval of 3 weeks. That means my dog is covered right? smiley
phebean008:

I vaccinated my dog against it while she was still a puppy. 3 shots at the cost of @3,500 at interval of 3 weeks. That means my dog is covered right?
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by phebean008(f): 8:24pm On Jul 05, 2015
aguizm:
I vaccinated my dog against it while she was still a puppy. 3 shots at the cost of @3,500 at interval of 3 weeks. That means my dog is covered right? smiley I vaccinated my dog against it while she was still a puppy. 3 shots at the cost of @3,500 at interval of 3 weeks. That means my dog is covered right?
Yeah, if the vaccination was properly done, the vaccine not expired and d cold chain was maintained, that is, the vaccine was brought on ice.
It should also be boosted yearly
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by aguizm(m): 8:37pm On Jul 05, 2015
phebean008:

Yeah, if the vaccination was properly done, the vaccine not expired and d cold chain was maintained, that is, the vaccine was brought on ice.
Seriously I don't know if it was on ice because it was in the vet clinic that she was administered the injections. I got my dog from the vet.
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by phebean008(f): 8:47pm On Jul 05, 2015
aguizm:
Seriously I don't know if it was on ice because it was in the vet clinic that she was administered the injections. I got my dog from the vet.
It's alright then, since u did it in a vet clinic....she's covered.
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by knyte(m): 8:53pm On Jul 05, 2015
phebean008:

Hello there u sound like a vet, are you? smiley
Re: Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days by darvic1515(m): 9:41pm On Jul 05, 2015
I think I remember dis guy now, he was the 1 planning of having 60dogs by december, bro its not always like that, I cld remember someone said he shld'nt keep such crowd in as much as he's just staring. dia are some basics u need to know b4 having a large number of dogs, passion shld be the main thing not the profit, follow all the advice here, and don't still hesitate to get a good vet coz of another time, God will protect the rest for you IJN.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Raw Feeding Ideas For Nigerian Dog Owners / If All Animals were Tamed, Which Animal Will You Take As A Pet? / Introducing My Girl Ariel Of Pearl Kennel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.