Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,159 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy (5081 Views)

Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage / Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! / Relationship Between Blood Group And Personality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy by ChelseaDr(m): 12:10am On Jul 06, 2015
Though new on Nairaland, l want to use this medium to briefly enlighten us about the so call "Negative Blood group" and the fears expressed by most ladies about pregnancy.

"Negative blood group" is also known as Rhesus Negative blood group. It is a type of blood grouping system based on the presence or otherwise of a factor in blood known as RHESUS FACTOR. Those who have this factor present in their blood are said to be RHESUS POSITIVE while those people without it are said to be RHESUS NEGATIVE.

Another type of blood grouping system is the ABO system where someone could have blood group A, B, AB or O. (note that these are the common types). So if one has this factor in their blood then the blood group is A, B, AB or O rhesus postive and if absent it becomes A, B, AB or O negative.

Many people believe that having rhesus negative blood group signifies a bad omen especially when it comes to pregnancy and delivery... this is NOT true as it is as normal a blood group as other blood groups. People with rhesus negative blood, especially ladies are NOT advised to receive positive blood for transfusion. This is because the positive blood they received will cause their blood to produce what we call ANTIBODIES against the rhesus factor. These antibodies will not harm the receiver (receipient) at this first time but will cause a serious reaction when the person is exposed to a positive blood another time.

Similar thing happens in pregnancy. If a lady with a negative blood group marries a man with a positive blood group, the chances are that any of their children could have a positive blood group inherited from the father. If the first baby in the womb has a positive blood group, there could be some mixing of small amount of blood between the negative mother and the positive baby. This baby's blood(which contains the rhesus factor) which has crossed into the mother's blood will cause the mother's system to recognise these factors as foreign bodies and then produce antibodies to destroy them. But before these antibodies are fully active to work the baby would have been delivered without any problem. However, if the second baby happens to have positive blood again like the first one, the antibodies already produced and waiting in the mother will then cross through the placenta (the organ that connects the baby and mother) and start attacking the baby's blood destroying them leading to so many problems like: jaundice in the baby in the womb, blood shortage (anaemia) in the baby, heart failure in the baby, body swelling (known as hydrops fetalis) and even death.

DO NOT BE AFRAID as this is no longer the case as science has developed an antedote to this. To avoid this,
1. Know your husband's blood group (if he is negative no problem).
2.If he is positive then start antenatal clinic on time so that your doctor will do some tests looking for those antibodies.
3.Make plans with your husband to buy this antedote known as rhesus isoimmunogpobulin (Rhogam) because it is relatively expensive.
4.Your pregnancy does not carry any extra risk because you will be treated like every other pregnant mother unless if there is any problem detected along the line which may not be related to your blood group.
5.Also be informed that your baby's blood will be collected at delivery for some tests which will include the blood group, blood level, presence or otherwise of jaundice, and presence or otherwise of these antibodies.

By and large "negative blood group" is not a crime neither is it a punishment from any diety, it is just one of those types of blood group. Fear NOT for with RHOGAM you can conquer your fears...Shalom!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy by ChelseaDr(m): 12:10am On Jul 06, 2015
cool
Re: Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy by Mcowubaba: 12:58am On Jul 06, 2015
ChelseaDr:
cool
U create topic still be first to comment..u no get love oo..

Anyway, a very Educating topic, this deserves to be on Front page
Ishilove, lalasticala, Seun, Obinoscopy, Goodluck, Abati, Metuh, Lai Mohammed...

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy by ChelseaDr(m): 1:05am On Jul 06, 2015
Mcowubaba:

U create topic still be first to comment..u no get love oo..

Anyway, a very Educating topic, this deserves to be on Front page
Ishilove, lalasticala, Seun, Obinoscopy, Goodluck, Abati, Metuh, Lai Mohammed...

Hahaha...was just trying to get the feel.....respect man

thanks

1 Like

Re: Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy by SOPHYLUV1: 2:52pm On Feb 24, 2016
Thanks dear your post is educative.
Re: Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy by maureensylvia(f): 6:05pm On May 09, 2017
gud evening Sir, have been searching for am information like this, I registered my ante Natal in aminu Kano teaching hospital, I had my first baby there and my baby was diagnosed with jaundice may be it's because of my rhesus factor (negative) I bought the rhogam but still my baby had jaundice and he was on phototheraphy @scbu for a week, now am almost due anytime for my next baby and d jaundice Is scaring me, its like a nightmare to me.

pls Dr what do I do to avoid jaundice for did my next baby.
thanks in anticipation
Re: Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy by layrico5: 10:04pm On May 09, 2017
Buy your Rhogam injection from us @ Briscon Pharmacy, lekki, 08135273535
Re: Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy by ChelseaDr(m): 7:25am On May 10, 2017
maureensylvia:
gud evening Sir, have been searching for am information like this, I registered my ante Natal in aminu Kano teaching hospital, I had my first baby there and my baby was diagnosed with jaundice may be it's because of my rhesus factor (negative) I bought the rhogam but still my baby had jaundice and he was on phototheraphy @scbu for a week, now am almost due anytime for my next baby and d jaundice Is scaring me, its like a nightmare to me.

pls Dr what do I do to avoid jaundice for did my next baby.
thanks in anticipation

Sorry about your experience in the past, by God's grace such will not repeat. There are things that could be done and some questions I would want to ask but may not be suitable in this forum for privacy. You can send me a mail.

When is your EDD?
Re: Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy by maureensylvia(f): 9:41am On May 10, 2017
ChelseaDr:

Sorry about your experience in the past, by God's grace such will not repeat. There are things that could be done and some questions I would want to ask but may not be suitable in this forum for privacy. You can send me a mail.

When is your EDD?

currently my mail is not working, can I add u on WhatsApp
Re: Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy by ChelseaDr(m): 2:27pm On May 10, 2017
maureensylvia:

currently my mail is not working, can I add u on WhatsApp

No problem..... you can drop your whatsapp number
Re: Rhesus Negative Blood Group And Pregnancy by maureensylvia(f): 4:59pm On May 10, 2017
[quote author=ChelseaDr post=56388488]

No problem..... you can drop your whatsapp number[/quo

(1) (Reply)

First Aid & Emergencies electric Shock Treatment / Elderly Care In Ibadan, Nigeria / Pls Help Unwanted Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.