Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

The Alternative Called "Adoption". - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Alternative Called "Adoption". (945 Views)

Marriage And The Happily Ever After Syndrome: An Alternative Perspective / Nigerian Couple Battles UK Govt Over Son’s ‘forceful Adoption’ (pics) / I Want To Give Up Our Unborn Baby For Adoption. Any Help Please. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Alternative Called "Adoption". by deardamsel2(f): 9:46am On Jul 06, 2015
I'm just wondering why African women and men keep trying to modernize themselves in a lot of ways but still hold on to some old and sometimes ridiculous belief(s).

Take for instance the issue of adoption of children, a couple that's been married for a while and are yet to have their own children will rather stay childless for as long as it takes them to have their own biological children than adopt children and bring joy into two lives, theirs and that of the baby or babies they adopt!

I mean if you really know what it means to be married for a while and not have children in Africa especially for a woman! Is it the unending questions you have to answer,or the manner people will keep looking at your tommy when you go for outing? God bless you if you if your husband thinks you're the cause of the childlessness or you have unsymphatetic and terrible in-laws or you now fight with anyone (gosh,the things a childless woman goes through).

Why can't couples opt for adoption after maybe 3 years of marriage if they're yet to have their own children?

Adopting children doesn't make you less normal than those that have biological children and adopting children doesn't mean you've given up on having biological children, it just means that while you're trying to conceive,you have the joy of being a parent!

And it's not something to be ashamed of! The reason "baby factories" are thriving is because people think it's a shame to adopt children, that they have failed in their God given assignment, and so they wants to lie and pretend like they've given birth naturally.

If a white couple is not ashamed to adopt a black baby and call him/her their own, why should a black couple be ashamed of adopting a baby?

Fatherhood is much more than ability to impregnate a woman as a man and Motherhood is much more than ability to carry pregnancy as a woman, it's the ability to care,nurture and train a children in the right way.

Please, I'm not saying that this is an easy decision for anyone to take, I know it's really a hard decision but I'm saying it's a better alternative; while waiting for your miracle to happen, there's the joy of a little one calling you 'My Dad and Mum'.

#whynotadopt

2 Likes

Re: The Alternative Called "Adoption". by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 06, 2015
sad
Re: The Alternative Called "Adoption". by Young03(m): 9:51am On Jul 06, 2015
Gufdejfwgfsw
Re: The Alternative Called "Adoption". by Janedoe26(f): 10:07am On Jul 06, 2015
@ Op although I understand what you mean, asides from the socio_cultural attitude towards adoption there is still a long way to go.
First, the laws regarding adoption are tedious and outdated.
Secondly, in other climes, there are tests that can determine the genetic history of a child before adoption so you know what you are up for. We don't have that here.
Then there is the RELIGION that we African's use to set ourselves million steps behind.
On a lighter note; we do not have what it takes to detect witchcraft, ogbange
Re: The Alternative Called "Adoption". by missdebs(f): 10:08am On Jul 06, 2015
Young03:
Gufdejfwgfsw
tf is dis, if you must book space @ least drop dat weed. #teambookspacewithsense
Re: The Alternative Called "Adoption". by mutter(f): 10:17am On Jul 06, 2015
The rate of adoption is increasing steadily. I have a couple of friends who have adopted.
You might think it is a sucess story in the western world but it is not. Many adoptions also go wrong along the line and the kids are quit traumatised. One really needs to have the heart for it. The best thing is to stay away if you and your spouse are not absolutely convinced because you will be doing more harm than good.
Re: The Alternative Called "Adoption". by feedburner(m): 10:44am On Jul 06, 2015
deardamsel2:
I'm just wondering why African women and men keep trying to modernize themselves in a lot of ways but still hold on to some old and sometimes ridiculous belief(s).

Take for instance the issue of adoption of children, a couple that's been married for a while and are yet to have their own children will rather stay childless for as long as it takes them to have their own biological children than adopt children and bring joy into two lives, theirs and that of the baby or babies they adopt!

I mean if you really know what it means to be married for a while and not have children in Africa especially for a woman! Is it the unending questions you have to answer,or the manner people will keep looking at your tommy when you go for outing? God bless you if you if your husband thinks you're the cause of the childlessness or you have unsymphatetic and terrible in-laws or you now fight with anyone (gosh,the things a childless woman goes through).

Why can't couples opt for adoption after maybe 3 years of marriage if they're yet to have their own children?

Adopting children doesn't make you less normal than those that have biological children and adopting children doesn't mean you've given up on having biological children, it just means that while you're trying to conceive,you have the joy of being a parent!

And it's not something to be ashamed of! The reason "baby factories" are thriving is because people think it's a shame to adopt children, that they have failed in their God given assignment, and so they wants to lie and pretend like they've given birth naturally.

If a white couple is not ashamed to adopt a black baby and call him/her their own, why should a black couple be ashamed of adopting a baby?

Fatherhood is much more than ability to impregnate a woman as a man and Motherhood is much more than ability to carry pregnancy as a woman, it's the ability to care,nurture and train a children in the right way.

Please, I'm not saying that this is an easy decision for anyone to take, I know it's really a hard decision but I'm saying it's a better alternative; while waiting for your miracle to happen, there's the joy of a little one calling you 'My Dad and Mum'.

#whynotadopt

black people r daft, I am daft and I don't feel sorry for myself. it's in my nature
Re: The Alternative Called "Adoption". by DollyParton1(f): 12:40pm On Jul 06, 2015
They claim they don't want to care of someone else's child.
They say you won't feel the same love for the adopted child like you would for your biological child.

Sometimes, when I talk to people in Nigeria, I can't help but shake my head for them.
We are still very backward.
Re: The Alternative Called "Adoption". by coogaluta(f): 1:52pm On Jul 06, 2015
IVF is another alternative, surrogacy ain't bad either....depending on the cause of the delay and how much the couple can afford.

I totally agree that more people should be open to their options in this day and age. cool
Re: The Alternative Called "Adoption". by itstpia8: 5:44am On May 23, 2016

(1) (Reply)

Check Out This Bottle Water-pics / How Would You Describe This??? Drop Your Comment!!! / Man Gets Scared Of Wife Cause Of The Power Of Her Womanhood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.