Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

10 Cool Things About Stars - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 10 Cool Things About Stars (27924 Views)

Different Types Of Stars. / 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know / 12 Cool Things About Google You Didn't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by henryadex(m): 5:41pm On Jul 06, 2015
The distance of stars are calculated in light years, light travels at the speed of 186,000 miles per second then multiply it by 60 that makes a minute then by 60 making for 1 hour then by 24 that makes for 1 day then by 3651/4 making for 1 year then you have to multiply that by some billion years that gives you the distance of the nearest star, period. That distance given in the write up is far from right
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by Chanchit: 5:42pm On Jul 06, 2015
Angelou:
who is the greater fool here? You claimed yu can't waste ur tym replying me? Now what did u just do....your level of stupidity is astronomical!!!!

This is not how I reply steewpeed people on NL, I just don't have the time today, and I can see you re trying to drag me down to ur level of stooppidity, so you won't be getting another reply from me.
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by clevadani: 5:45pm On Jul 06, 2015
This an informative and amazing article. Op,thanks for sharing. Hope the mods push more of this to the front page.

1 Like

Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by MAJOLAUTOS: 5:45pm On Jul 06, 2015
cool
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by frankeinstein(m): 5:48pm On Jul 06, 2015
...let me tell you something my father told me: Look at the stars. The great kings of the past look down on us from those stars.
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by abatisegun: 5:54pm On Jul 06, 2015
PAGAN9JA:
I like Stars. The Pleiades. Thats were the Gods reside.

cheesy
what does that mean?
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by Angelou(m): 6:10pm On Jul 06, 2015
Chanchit:

This is not how I reply steewpeed people on NL, I just don't have the time today, and I can see you re trying to drag me down to ur level of stooppidity, so you won't be getting another reply from me.
who d hell needs ur reply, d words of a lu,,nat,,ic like u is as futile as his brain cells

1 Like

Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by mickyeddi(m): 6:21pm On Jul 06, 2015
Angelou:
who is the greater fool here? You claimed yu can't waste ur tym replying me? Now what did u just do....your level of stupidity is astronomical!!!!

grin
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by mickyeddi(m): 6:24pm On Jul 06, 2015
Chanchit:
I just read 10 jargons, all the points makes no sense to me.

Did your parents conceive you on the motorway by any chance? because that's where most accidents happen, it might also explain why you're such a dumb 4cktard!
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by Chanchit: 6:33pm On Jul 06, 2015
mickyeddi:

Did your parents conceive you on the motorway by any chance? because that's where most accidents happen, it might also explain why you're such a dumb 4cktard!

Hey Mr, I never asked for where you were conceived, so keep the history to your self and if dumb 4cktards is really hereditary in your family its all well and good.
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 06, 2015
mickyeddi:
I'm really glad a science article has ended up on the FrontPage, you will be surprised how many Nigerians don't know about the concept of a blackhole, wormhole, relativity and so on. We need to learn new things everyday.

positive...people no longer read ✘
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by mickyeddi(m): 6:38pm On Jul 06, 2015
Chanchit:

Hey Mr, I never asked for where you were conceived, so keep the history to your self and if dumb 4cktards is really hereditary in your family its all well and good.

I take it then your parents are siblings.
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by Chanchit: 6:43pm On Jul 06, 2015
mickyeddi:

I take it then your parents are siblings.

See!? I was right, your family breeds dumb 4cktrds, and as it stands you might be suffering from brain leakage cos I never mentioned "parents" oooooh, now I understand, your parents are siblings, you're just looking for a way to tell me, sorry, I can't help you. You have to suffer the consequences, cos your family would keep reproducing 4cktards like you.
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jul 06, 2015
lasstropinky:
Lies.....The Sun is not a star talked of being a green star.
the sun is a star.
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by dustar: 8:26pm On Jul 06, 2015
menesheh:

Which particular god created the amazing complexity of the universe.

Is it Allah, jesus, yahweh, Krishna, Zeus, Buddha etc or specify
Its really funny how u atheist just luk for ways not to bliv.. Allah is de name of God in Hausa, Jesus is the sun of God n God made man, Yaweh is still de name of God in anoda language.. All de tribes in Nigeria have different names for God.. If u dont wanna bliv just shout up n stop looking for silly excuse to die in sin

1 Like

Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by mickyeddi(m): 8:28pm On Jul 06, 2015
Chanchit:

See!? I was right, your family breeds dumb 4cktrds, and as it stands you might be suffering from brain leakage cos I never mentioned "parents" oooooh, now I understand, your parents are siblings, you're just looking for a way to tell me, sorry, I can't help you. You have to suffer the consequences, cos your family would keep reproducing 4cktards like you.

Your profile picture shows you're one ugly narcissistic inbred, that's why you're so frustrated.
If you were anymore of a b1tch, you’d have puppies.
Yeah, and then you wouldn’t be the only dog on this forum.

Just chill, dumb Arrow!
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by ogaprime(m): 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2015
mickyeddi:
I'm really glad a science article has ended up on the FrontPage, you will be surprised how many Nigerians don't know about the concept of a blackhole, wormhole, relativity and so on. We need to learn new things everyday.

What's the difference between black hole nd worm hole??
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by Chanchit: 8:46pm On Jul 06, 2015
mickyeddi:

Your profile picture shows you're one ugly narcissistic inbred, that's why you're so frustrated.
If you were anymore of a b1tch, you’d have puppies.
Yeah, and then you wouldn’t be the only dog on this forum.

Just chill, dumb Arrow!

I never knew someone suffering from brain leakage could make me laugh, I can see frustration written over your reply, so you had to consult you whole dumb 4cktard family for what to type next, I'm disappointed with what you all came up with, and why would you have to end ur reply with "Arrow?" Pls I never asked for your surname.
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by sexymonkey(m): 8:54pm On Jul 06, 2015
Mickyeddi u're wrong on the colour being green/blue, In phy210(introduction to space) I learnt the sun is yellowish-red (from prof. R.B department of space physics futa)
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by mickyeddi(m): 10:14pm On Jul 06, 2015
ogaprime:

What's the difference between black hole nd worm hole??

Blackhole is a region of space-time so deformed by its mass that it exerts a gravitational pull that not even light can escape. The point at which the gravitational pull becomes so great as to make escape impossible is called the event horizon
At the center of the blackhole lies a region of space-time with infinite curvature.
Blackholes are formed when the core of a supermassive star collapses in on itself

Wormhole is "Einstein-Rosen bridge" and are a hypothetical tunnel that would connect two points in space-time.
There are valid solution for equations in the theory of relativity that contain wormholes, but unlike black holes, there hasn't been any observational evidence for wormholes so far.
In theory, a stable wormhole could be used as a way to travel across vast expanses of space.
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by ogaprime(m): 10:56pm On Jul 06, 2015
mickyeddi:

Blackhole is a region of space-time so deformed by its mass that it exerts a gravitational pull that not even light can escape. The point at which the gravitational pull becomes so great as to make escape impossible is called the event horizon
At the center of the blackhole lies a region of space-time with infinite curvature.
Blackholes are formed when the core of a supermassive star collapses in on itself

Wormhole is "Einstein-Rosen bridge" and are a hypothetical tunnel that would connect two points in space-time.
There are valid solution for equations in the theory of relativity that contain wormholes, but unlike black holes, there hasn't been any observational evidence for wormholes so far.
In theory, a stable wormhole could be used as a way to travel across vast expanses of space.

Wormhole reminds me of a game called freelancer.... Anyways thanks....
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by waledud(m): 7:55am On Jul 07, 2015
kenedy175:
knew most of this already. Astrology is quite interesting to study
This is not astrology but astronomy. Two different subjects
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by waledud(m): 8:02am On Jul 07, 2015
scarletdp:
Okay Just Check this out.

You know if it takes 5secs for a body thrown from a stand point to reach a particular height, it will also take 5secs for that body to get back to it's original position from that height.

The closest star is soooo far away that if we travel with the speed of light, it'll take us about 4 years to get to the closest star that's why no one has ever been to any star.

Also, it takes the same time (about 4years) for that light to travel from the star's location to our eyes. Hence the star you see on a particular night isn't there at all, it was there four years ago.
Actually the closest star to us is our sun and the light from it takes about 8mins to touch down on earth surface..every other ascertions of yours barring dat are true.
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by waledud(m): 8:09am On Jul 07, 2015
BRAINTORMS:
2 and 9 seems to contradict
No, they do not. 2 is talking about the number of individual stars u can see per time while 9 talks about the relative distance of the stars to earth.
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by kenedy175(m): 9:05am On Jul 07, 2015
waledud:
This is not astrology but astronomy. Two different subjects
my bad! Thanks for your correction though
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by scarletdp(m): 9:11am On Jul 07, 2015
waledud:
Actually the closest star to us is our sun and the light from it takes about 8mins to touch down on earth surface..every other ascertions of yours barring dat are true.

Okay, cool. I never knew technically the sun was a Star. Thanks thoough
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by kenedy175(m): 9:14am On Jul 07, 2015
Holyfield1:
Wow! So amazing works of God
I'm waiting for the atheist and philosophers who believe there is no God to tell me who then created all these solar bodies,It's really unimaginable to believe that those little stars u see at night is a million times bigger than the world
CLICK ''LIKE'' if you believe there is ''GOD''
There is always an explanation for everything. Heard of the Big bang Theory before? it's presumed that was the beginning of all solar bodies. I'm not atheist o! but science provides a more interesting, complicated and cool explanation to all this. Everything can be explained! Most sha

1 Like

Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by mickyeddi(m): 9:24am On Jul 07, 2015
Chanchit:

I never knew someone suffering from brain leakage could make me laugh, I can see frustration written over your reply, so you had to consult you whole dumb 4cktard family for what to type next, I'm disappointed with what you all came up with, and why would you have to end ur reply with "Arrow?" Pls I never asked for your surname.

Morning pr.ck, has your reta7ded dad?
Re: 10 Cool Things About Stars by Chanchit: 9:46am On Jul 07, 2015
mickyeddi:

Morning pr.ck, has your reta7ded dad?

After consulting your whole dumb 4cktarded family this is all you could come up with? Once again I'm disappointed, now this is an assignment for you and your ***!??* (I'm tired of saying it) family, wait till its sunny, then you all should go out and count the stars in the sky, since you really love stars. You can leave your mum behind anyway so all of you won't have to go blind.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Augustine Otuokwa Ogar Constructs Hydro-Electric Power Plant (Photos) / Venus Jupiter Conjunction 2017: The Planets Will Rise As One On Monday / We Buy Your Dead (scrap) Laptops Here In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.