Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know (26303 Views)

Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. / New Solar Device Removes Carbon Dioxide From The Atmosphere / Some Scientists You Probably Don't Know But Probably Should. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by mrphysics(m): 1:39pm On Nov 27, 2015
Am a physicist(Geophysics/Meteorologist), I put up this writing to educate my fellow nairalanders, I hope u enjoy it.
feel free to ask your questions after reading, and ignore any typographical error
Let's get started

10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE ATMOSPHERE

1: WHAT CAUSES WIND AND WIND FLOW: The cause of wind is the differences in pressure and temperature of a given area. Winds always flow from regions of cooler temperature (high pressure) to regions of warmer temperature (low pressure). The greater the differences in temperatures or pressure, the greater the wind speed

2: WHY DOES AIR PRESSURE DECREASE WITH HEIGHT
The pressure at any level in the atmosphere may be interpreted as the total weight of the air per unit area at any elevation. At higher elevations, there are fewer air molecules above a given surface than similar surface at lower levels. Example, there are few air molecules at 50km than are found at 12km, which is why the pressure is less at 50km

3: WHY ARE GASES SUSCH AS CARBON DIOXIDE, NITROUS OXIDE, METHAN AND CFC CALLED GREEN HOUSE GASES
They are called greenhouse gases because they are able to absorb and emit infra-red radiation.

4: WHY IS IT DANGEROUS TO SEEK SHELTER UNDER A TREE DURING THUNDERSTORM
It is very dangerous to seek shelter under a tree during thunderstorm because when lightning strikes, it delivers an enormous force of electrical energy that can break off branches or even split trunk of the tree.

5: THE HIGHER YOU GO, THE COOLER IT BECOMES? TRUE OR FALSE?
It is true in the layer of the atmosphere where we live. The earth’s atmosphere is divided into five layers: TROPOSHERE, STRATOSPHERE, MESOSPHERE, THERMOSPHERE and EXOSPHERE. The statement is true only in TROPOSHERE (0-15KM above sea level) and in MESOSPHERE. A process called LAPSE RATE (the decrease in temperature with height). Outside these two layers, inversion occurs (the higher you go, the hotter it becomes)

6: DOES PLANEs FLY BEYONG THE TROPOSHERE
Negative, our planes does not fly beyond this layer of the atmosphere, perhaps because it cannot withstand the pressure of the nearest layer of the atmosphere. Our planes rarely reach 14KM.

7: WHICH LAYER OF THE ATMOSPHERE DOES RAIN OCCUR?
I need to state clearly that all our rain falls happen within our layer of the atmosphere we live in (TROPOSPHERE), outside this layer of the atmosphere, they EXIST no rain or rainfall.

8: WHAT IS NOWCASTING?
The forecasting of weather within the next six hours is often referred to as nowcasting. In this time range, it is possible to forecast smaller features such as individual showers and thunderstorm with reasonable accuracy, as well as other features too small to be resolved by a computer model.

9: WHAT IS THE IONOSPHERE?
The ionosphere is the layer of earths atmosphere that is ionized by solar radiation. The ionosphere contains plasmas and is made up of three layers, the lowest is called D-LAYER(75-95KM), E-LAYER(95-100KM) and the F-LAYER(150km upwards).

10: HOW DOES THE IONOSPHERE INFLUENCE AM RADIO TRANSMISSION DURING THE DAY AND AT NIGHT
Distant AM radio stations are better received at night because the ionosphere that reflects AM stations is protected from ionizing radiation and ionized particles from the sun. when the sun comes up, it heats up the air, helping to make a part of the air that can reflect radio waves that comes from an AM radion station.

written by NJOKU CHUKWUDI (mrphysics). graduate of Physics and Astronomy
University of Nigeria Nsukka.

134 Likes 17 Shares

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Osirimononaye(m): 1:43pm On Nov 27, 2015
Honestly I Love Your Write Up...Very Educative
*No End Time*..

25 Likes

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by menesheh(m): 2:01pm On Nov 27, 2015
Nice one.

Bringing scientific knowledge to the doorpost of the unscientific Nigerian youths who still think that those natural phenomena are being propel by the hand of god.

Lalasticlala

6 Likes

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by TimothyNkenu: 2:40pm On Nov 27, 2015
How does this stop Buhari from travelling like a German tourist?

15 Likes

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Segadem(m): 2:42pm On Nov 27, 2015
Negative, our planes does not fly beyond this layer of the atmosphere, perhaps because it cannot withstand the pressure of the nearest layer of the atmosphere. Our planes rarely reach 14KM
Atmossphere is divided into 5, which one the plane will fly beyond?

1 Like

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 27, 2015
Nice
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Sijo01(f): 2:42pm On Nov 27, 2015
Educative!

1 Like

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by ELgordo(m): 2:42pm On Nov 27, 2015
HOW ABOUT WHEN YOU MESS?

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by ASHTAROTH: 2:42pm On Nov 27, 2015
Mrphysics, I know all these?

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 27, 2015
C'mon. I've known these things for about 1,000 years now, so tell me something I don't know.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Toeyoursea(m): 2:44pm On Nov 27, 2015
mrphysics:
Am a physicist(Geophysics/Meteorologist).

grin

Op, one day i know say you go make us proud. wink
May the lord strengthen your knowledge.

14 Likes

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 27, 2015
Who tehl u say i no no b4

I bet most people don't know Jesus' skin color...

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by allanphash7(m): 2:45pm On Nov 27, 2015
All thanks to science
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by rita25(f): 2:46pm On Nov 27, 2015
the trothosphere will mix with the smellosphere and you will hear who mess ophere? grin
ELgordo:
HOW ABOUT WHEN YOU MESS?

11 Likes

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by ModiKen(m): 2:48pm On Nov 27, 2015
We need to start receiving sense in this country.

Not everything is African metaphysics.

OP, thank u jare.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Heyliesha(m): 2:48pm On Nov 27, 2015
Facts
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Ikegift4real(m): 2:49pm On Nov 27, 2015
hightension . hw was life in carva building?
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Dollyak(f): 2:50pm On Nov 27, 2015
mrphysics:
Am a physicist(Geophysics/Meteorologist), I put up this writing to educate my fellow nairalanders, I hope u enjoy it.
feel free to ask your questions after reading, and ignore any typographical error
Let's get started

4: WHY IS IT DANGEROUS TO SEEK SHELTER UNDER A TREE DURING THUNDERSTORM
It is very dangerous to seek shelter under a tree during thunderstorm because when lightning strikes, it delivers an enormous force of electrical energy that can break off branches or even split trunk of the tree.

Negative, our planes does not fly beyond this layer of the atmosphere, perhaps because it cannot withstand the pressure of the nearest layer of the atmosphere. Our planes rarely reach 14KM.

A few corrections though smiley.

4 The reason why it is very dangerous to seek a shelter under a tree is not because it breaks off (they rarely do due to grounding effect). The main reason is because trees are often the tallest object relative to any pointy other object, which means trees are often susceptible to lightning strikes (Electric field is strongest at the tallest pointy tip of a conductor). This means in case of strikes you are at lower earth potential compared to the tree due to human being made out of saltwater and thus the strike will always transfer to you more often that not.

6 This is not true at all as planes are pressurize to deal with it. The main reason why Planes will not fly in stratosphere is mainly due to heat reasons and turbulence (lower aerodynamic efficiency). As you probably know, in troposphere the atmosphere is transparent to the sun's energy and is instead heated from below the earth's surface.
The red bit in this diagram is troposhere [img]http://heartsofspace.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341e7ce553ef0176174c4fd9970c-800wi[/img]

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by omoalayo(m): 2:50pm On Nov 27, 2015
This is a reminder of what I did in secondary schl.... Thanks... I've completely forgotten everything.. When I ve bin in uni fr 4 years now cramming and pouring... I've mistakenly poured those ones too...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by ShakurM(m): 2:51pm On Nov 27, 2015
Rain can now be produced artificially!!

1 Like

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by jamiefoxy: 2:51pm On Nov 27, 2015
noted
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 2:51pm On Nov 27, 2015
Weldone. Gained something today.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by helphelp: 2:51pm On Nov 27, 2015
Something educative after a long while

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by phemmylaw(m): 2:51pm On Nov 27, 2015
highly informative.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by ofofoCEO(f): 2:51pm On Nov 27, 2015
Interesting

1 Like

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Odunharry(m): 2:52pm On Nov 27, 2015
nice one op
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Demolinhoooo(m): 2:53pm On Nov 27, 2015
Knowledge is Power
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 27, 2015
This can not discourage me from believing in God.The creator of living and non-living.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by jacoik(m): 2:56pm On Nov 27, 2015
in conclusion pls!!! what should I do with this now. when d natural things Baba God created to occur on it appointed time human don turn upside down . I dey watch una one by one
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Ups01(m): 2:57pm On Nov 27, 2015
ELgordo:
HOW ABOUT WHEN YOU MESS?

mess??
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Segadem(m): 3:00pm On Nov 27, 2015
good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Solar Inverter Installation / Man Finds Giant Burmese Python In His Shed In Florida / The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.