Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,192 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens (26212 Views)

Naira Appreciates As Demand For Dollar Gets Low / Naira Drops To 490/$1, 600/£1 / Naira Drops, As BVN Paralyses Forex Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Billygee2u: 9:08am On Jul 07, 2015
Obere4u:
The dead (naira) shall raise again......

It's just gaining momentum that will propel it to a great hight against the dollar...

By next week, 1$ = 198#
Pooh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by ShakurM(m): 9:09am On Jul 07, 2015
erico2k2:

Get ur fact right, the so called advanced economy actually import more than we do, even banana is imported in the uk
First of all, UK is a food-trading nation and UK is not self sufficient in food production hence the need 2 import bananas. Do you understand that, young man?

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by CSTR2: 9:15am On Jul 07, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Actually....GEJ's fault too...for not getting us off oil.

Stop blaming Buhari for your mistakes.
GEJ laid the foundation for diversification for the five years he was there.
Why do you think he created the national automotive policy and increased tariffs on imported cars and many agricultural products?
Sadly, buhari has removed those and many other tariffs GEJ enforced to promote local industries and farmers.
No single stability in government policies.
We are back to square one.

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 9:15am On Jul 07, 2015
[quote author=chigoizie7 post=35576854]

Shut up, in the history of Nigeria democracy, it was during Gej administration that experienced more concern for agriculture (massive capital input and cogent policies).

Let's not forget about industrialization,( auto mobil policies and so on)

[quote]
Well.....the industrial development I had in mind was not assembly plants.....but using Nigeria's raw materials as the basis of industrial development.

And yes....I blame Nigeria's past leaders too....including GEJ.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 07, 2015
CSTR2:
GEJ laid the foundation for diversification for the five years he was there.
Why do you think he created the national automotive policy and increased tariffs on imported cars and many agricultural products?
Sadly, buhari has removed those and many other tariffs GEJ enforced to promote local industries and farmers.
No single stability in government policies.
We are back to square one.

No....GEJ just did what we were doing in the 1970's with PAN, VON, etc....

What I have in mind is investment in education and using raw materials we have as the basis for industrial devleopment.

And power was still very low.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by 989900: 9:19am On Jul 07, 2015
onatisi:
Why is nobody shouting ”Sai baba ,sai buhari or change“ anymore Naija grin you go know say khaki no be leather . U never see anything

Obviously, people (I included) want fast changes. Even though we know it might take some while . . .

We are watching, my support for the President was borne out of GEJ administration's gluttony, recklessness, cluelessness, and unlimited corruption. And by God's grace, or anything we individually believe in, if by 2019, Buhari has not checked the aforementioned, we will change the changer!
#PVCforthewin
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 07, 2015
bushdoc9919:

smiley

And if you had Biafra by now...it would even be worse...because we Biafrans would be oil dependent.

Nigeria, Biafra....whatever...needs to forget about oil. Education, innovation, industries....that is what will save us.

Oil prices are falling because.....everybody and his auntie are producing oil. Including the US...which used to be a net importer ten years ago.

Oil is a curse.

Don't forget that Iran is expected to enter the oil market once sanctions are lifted later this week. Iran has proven oil reserves of........150 billion barrels. 5million barrels * 360 = 1.8 billion. 150 billion / 1.8 = approx 83 years of oil at 5 million barrels a day. Think about it
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by arsetalks(m): 9:21am On Jul 07, 2015
erico2k2:

Bro he did say so, at oweri,
Provide a link to buttress your point.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 07, 2015
bigass123:
Do you have an idea how much resources this country lost under GEJ?
How much was the dollar to the Naira before GEJ, how much was it when he left?
How much was our external reserve before GEJ and how much was it when he left?
How many states were been owed salary before GEJ and how many states were owing as at his exit from office.
The $20b dollars that grew wings and flew away... What did your GEJ do about it before he left even after Sanusi gave fact and figures and even pointed fingers to the robber that robbed the nation.
In the history of Nigeria.. Which president ever "purchased arms" with someone else's private jet and sidelining the military in the entire process.
Which president in the entire world... Openly romances and awards ex convicts that cheated and looted the state. Which president in the entire world ever came out publicly and declare that stealing isn't corruption?
Oga... I advice you to only come here and yan ur opatar and go jeje.. If you go outside and spit this n0nsense... You're risking been beaten black and blue or even stoned. A word is enough for the wise oh

first of...I'm not "oga" and it's obvious you missed the part where I mentioned "corruption" oh well, not your fault...many naira landerS are like that. Also, he'S not "my GEJ" he's a former president of Nigeria #fact. PluS I'll advice you spew less hate in your words aS Nigeria is "ours" and the better it is, the better for everyone. lastly no one iS gonna beat me up For airing my views...it's called opinion. Enjoy

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Truth234(m): 9:29am On Jul 07, 2015
DONMAYOR19:
I will make 1naira equal 1 dollar if u vote me in, less than 2 months, naira has gone down drastically as if they are searching for oil well.
This man just scam the gullible Nigeria, I knew it will come to this, someone that left power almost 30 years ago and refuse to update/upgrade himself academically, even low OBJ that has nothing to offer again still went to NOU to acquire degree. No organisation ever gave this d.ullard man any award for any good thing he has done, the only people that ever recognise him was boko haram that chose him to be their spoke man to negotiate with FG then when FG ask then for amnesty, that alone shows that this fraudster is highly connected with this same boko haram people. Check out the certificate saga then, up till now nothing happen, the useless people supporting him started saying even if he present Nepa bill or see thief-nubu robbing central bank, we will still vote for him, oya moona enjoy una change, all the things people criticise GEJ for, this useless illiterate d.ullard man has done it and even more than that. Enough said for now.

Lastly, whoever is the mod that ban me for 3 days for calling this illiterate man Dullardiinho is sick and should check him/herself, well I'm back now, and I will continue to call him Dullardiinho. BAN ME MOD. Hypocrite and bias mod.

The truth is financial matters and economic fundamentals are beyond ordinary people comprehension, the drop in Naira yesterday was as a result of "No" referendum outcome of the Greek people that shook the entire world. Euro dropped against US dollar to 1.0978, Australia dollar was traded at its lowest 0.7425 to USD in 12 years, in China they are experiencing their lowest market price in years. Their government had to step in to help investors by cutting interest rate on loans. Malaysian currency hit its lowest 3.8 to USD, a currency that as at Jan. 2015 was 3.2 to a single dollar.

The issue with Naira has nothing to do with current administration, if our foreign exchange rate is been judged by USD, because that is currently the most appreciated currency for the past 10 months, in fact, American economists and hedge fund managers are worried that the currency is too strong for its current economic data.

Although Oil drop contributed to the landslide but yesterday or weakness against USD dollar is not any government fault its basically combination of so many external factors beyond this administration control.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by rigarmortis: 9:37am On Jul 07, 2015
mister buhari has no foreseeable plan right now, his immediate problem is to settle all the power brokers fighting and jostling for position/relevance.

and to secure his position by bringing in his fellow cattle rearers, even if they are retired.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by joseph1832(m): 9:38am On Jul 07, 2015
kodded:
I will make $1 = N1000 .......sai dullard!nho cool
And you expect PMB to make $1 = N1 in just over one month in office. Indeed you're the dullard!nho.

I really wonder when Nigerians started believing in magic.

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by chigoizie7(m): 9:38am On Jul 07, 2015
[quote author=bushdoc9919 post=35578135][/quote]

Incase u don't know, all we have around the world is assembly plants, all of them outsource their components, go and make ur research.

Btw, 80% of components used in nigeria assembly plants are locally made, (make ur researches too).

Presently, manufacturing or car tires and batteries are on going, make ur researches too.

I never even liked Gej, but apportion blame to whoever that deserves it, no sentiments, that's my own.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by chigoizie7(m): 9:43am On Jul 07, 2015
Truth234:

The truth is financial matters and economic fundamentals are beyond ordinary people comprehension, the drop in Naira yesterday was as a result of "No" referendum outcome of the Greek people that shook the entire world. Euro dropped against US dollar to 1.0978, Australia dollar was traded at its lowest 0.7425 to USD in 12 years, in China they are experiencing their lowest market price in years. Their government had to step in to help investors by cutting interest rate on loans. Malaysian currency hit its lowest 3.8 to USD, a currency that as at Jan. 2015 was 3.2 to a single dollar.

The issue with Naira has nothing to do with current administration, if our foreign exchange rate is been judged by USD, because that is currently the most appreciated currency for the past 10 months, in fact, American economists and hedge fund managers are worried that the currency is too strong for its current economic data.

Although Oil drop contributed to the landslide but yesterday or weakness against USD dollar is not any government fault its basically combination of so many external factors beyond this administration control.

Will u also say that d drop early dis year and late last year ha nothing to do with the past administration?

If that is so, den while blame GEJ?
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by manchester1: 9:45am On Jul 07, 2015
wow very soon we will get 1$=1naira

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Alexander001(m): 9:47am On Jul 07, 2015
eleojo23:
This is serious!
It's like the entire force of gravity has been directed at the Naira. It just keeps falling freely! angry

Buhari, now is the time to use your anti-gravity machine and push the naira back up to N1 =$1.
U.s.a dey wait to see #1=$1...no joke with dem oooo, e beta buhari come tell us say na joke.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by bigass123(m): 9:48am On Jul 07, 2015
Pele oh oga madam, just so you know I don't hate GEJ the former president. But let me be quick to reiterate the FACT that his administration did this country more harm than good.
Its a right to air one's opinion but not when it's glaring that such opinion is far from the truth. Calling someone who messed up the economy a hero.
Its like calling an armed robber an angel right in the presence of the person that was robbed.
No be wahala you dey find so? {in fela's voice} °°°°° WAHALA U DEY FIND, WAHALA U GET GO GET OH

Pelmet:
first of...I'm not "oga" and it's obvious you missed the part where I mentioned "corruption" oh well, not your fault...many naira landerS are like that. Also, he'S not "my GEJ" he's a former president of Nigeria #fact. PluS I'll advice you spew less hate in your words aS Nigeria is "ours" and the better it is, the better for everyone. lastly no one iS gonna beat me up For airing my views...it's called opinion. Enjoy
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by omooba969(m): 9:49am On Jul 07, 2015
onatisi:
the most annoying thing is no matter the number of deaths or victims . Grandpa just keeps quiet and says nothing as if nothing happened. One person was. Killed in france and the president left the eu summit and rushed home. Each time there is a shooting in the usa ,obama always makes a statement condemning the act and telling the american ppl to be on guard. But in grandpa case ,anytime he hears 42 or 97 ppl killed by boko haram , he just nods his head and continue playing hide and seek with his cows . Naija is in real deep shit . Next time ppl will open their brains and eyes before voting

Is dat all & wot do u expect of him?

Pointless comment u put up there I must say!
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Karlman: 9:51am On Jul 07, 2015
Just imagining what lagos media would have been saying had Jonathan been the one in Aso rock now

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 9:52am On Jul 07, 2015
bigass123:
If to say I see you now ehn as at the time I'm reading this your comment.. Aswear... I for test my AK_47 for ya body. Have you ever moved into an old/ dilapidated building before? YES you intend to renovate and make it come alive again.. Even though your intention is to do that.. Can you do it in one day? How much more a whole country.. With its economic, security, educational, power facilities all in state gross decay.
PDP mismanaged this country and her economy for 16 whole years. They brought everything to a standstill...the new government inherited an empty treasury and loads of debts to be paid including unpaid staff salary in almost all the states of federation. This new government is just a few weeks old and some idi0ts are already crying foul. Is it that you guys were asleep when ur ogogoro master was playing table tennis with our economy? Is it that easy to rebiuld what has been destroyed for so much years? Most of the Tanoids commenting here...the thunder wey go fire una na 2016 model and he still dey do press up for heaven.

Ode na u thunder go strike... stop spreading lies that things were destroyed. I m not a party person. stop propaganda naa.. Haba! Since independence has Nigeria been an el dorado? I know pdp messed up buh stop over exaggerating. .its annoying abeg!

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by ONYX5(m): 9:53am On Jul 07, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Actually....GEJ's fault too...for not getting us off oil.

Stop blaming Buhari for your mistakes.
I for quote you but sorry I've stopped making stu-pid people famous

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Truth234(m): 9:57am On Jul 07, 2015
chigoizie7:

Will u also say that d drop early dis year and late last year ha nothing to do with the past administration?

If that is so, den while blame GEJ?

See how we produce our oil or manage the revenue from oil is solely our responsibility, when oil price dropped, under normal circumstances we shouldn't be affected this much but because of poor economy policy of backing/sustaining our foreign exchange with oil revenue, we are this affected when the only means of sustaining it failed.

Let me ask you this question how are countries like Singapore, South Korea etc without any known nature resources were able to sustain their economies? The difference is approach, that has everything to do with the administration.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 07, 2015
nwaenugu:

Don't forget that Iran is expected to enter the oil market once sanctions are lifted later this week. Iran has proven oil reserves of........150 billion barrels. 5million barrels * 360 = 1.8 billion. 150 billion / 1.8 = approx 83 years of oil at 5 million barrels a day. Think about it

And that makes the glut even worse.....leading to falling price.

Anyone relying on oil better start thinking about other lines of business....fast.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 07, 2015
ONYX5:
I for quote you but sorry I've stopped making stu-pid people famous

Good morning...and may God bless you richly today....and may you receive His favour.

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by onatisi(m): 10:00am On Jul 07, 2015
omooba969:

Is dat all & wot do u expect of him?

Pointless comment u put up there I must say!
u can sit down here and support sluggishness,by the time boko haram start suicide bombing campaigns in ur south west towns like ibadan,abeokuta ,osogbo and co then ur brains will open to what we are talking about . Just wait , in a matter of weeks there will be fuel scarcity again if grandpa keeps sleeping for 20hrs a day ,then u will understand .

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 07, 2015
Johnsinia:

Isn't Gej going in that directn u listed frm 1-4 above? But ur likes wouldn't just allow him to work rather bringing all sorts of lies and propangadas against a man working for the betterment of Nig. Why do u tink he fall-out with Obj, US and the then northern gov? Is simple, he don't want to compromise hence, they used lies and propagandas to decieved the decievable to send him parking

GEJ was taking us back to 1970.

I wanted him...and I want Buhari to take us to the 21st century.

Assembly plants are easy to build. Building a car with raw materials you have at home....is where I want us to be. Plus....I want us to be improving the car.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 07, 2015
raymondzack:
don't u think itz too early to start displaying ur stupidity

I thank you for calling me names. You have shown you have nothing to contribute to the discussion.

Now....grow up, and do not be so rude to anyone on this site again.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by omooba969(m): 10:03am On Jul 07, 2015
onatisi:
u can sit down here and support sluggishness,by the time boko haram start suicide bombing campaigns in ur south west towns like ibadan,abeokuta ,osogbo and co then ur brains will open to what we are talking about . Just wait , in a matter of weeks there will be fuel scarcity again if grandpa keeps sleeping for 20hrs a day ,then u will understand .

Baseless but amusing !
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by bigass123(m): 10:06am On Jul 07, 2015
Na so e pepper you reach? Eyah sorry oh..

[s]
crixtex:

Ode na u thunder go strike... stop spreading lies that things were destroyed. I m not a party person. stop propaganda naa.. Haba! Since independence has Nigeria been an el dorado? I know pdp messed up buh stop over exaggerating. .its annoying abeg!
[/s]
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by CSTR2: 10:07am On Jul 07, 2015
bushdoc9919:

No....GEJ just did what we were doing in the 1970's with PAN, VON, etc....

What I have in mind is investment in education and using raw materials we have as the basis for industrial devleopment.

And power was still very low.
Investment in education-Good.
Conversion of finite raw materials to exportable products is very shortsighted in my opinion.
They are investments for the next generation.
Countries like the US hardly tap their raw materials.
The most biggest economies in the world are not resource-based.

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Booty4me: 10:14am On Jul 07, 2015
President Buhari
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Booty4me: 10:15am On Jul 07, 2015
Daura President

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

TSA Freezes Interbank Market, Bank Transactions FROZEN!! / POS Stamp Duty: FG Reviews 50 Naira To Transactions Above 10 Thousand Naira / Fire Razes Down Temple Hill Supermarket In Festac, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.