Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens (26179 Views)

Naira Appreciates As Demand For Dollar Gets Low / Naira Drops To 490/$1, 600/£1 / Naira Drops, As BVN Paralyses Forex Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by zumen(m): 6:19am On Jul 07, 2015
The Nigerian foreign exchange market continued to increase yesterday at the bureau de change (BDC) and black market as the value of the naira dropped to a low of N232 and N236.50 against the dollar respectively.

Daily Sun gathered that the value of the naira at the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the interbank end of the foreign exchange market, however, remained stable as the green back sold for N196.95 and N198.58 respectively. At the BDC, the value of the naira against the pound dropped to N350. Pressure had mounted on the naira at the parallel and black market after the CBN, a fortnight ago, curbed access to the dollar on the official interbank market for importation of a wide range of goods, shifting demand for hard currency to the black market.

The foreign external reserves, which had been trending downwards since last year, rose slightly to $29.157 billion, as at July 2 according to latest figures made available by the CBN. This is the highest figure since June 9, 2015 when it stood at $29.181 billion. Meanwhile, the rate at which banks lend among themselves dropped as at the close of business yesterday.

Overnight rate dropped to five year low of 5.1250 per cent while one and three months rates dropped to 14.1547 and 15.5823 per cents respectively. Six-month rate, however, rose slightly to 16.3288 per cnet.
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/naira-drops-as-demand-pressure-heightens/
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by seedgreen(m): 6:21am On Jul 07, 2015
Following
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by plainol(m): 6:26am On Jul 07, 2015
I just hope naira will not DROP DEAD at this dropping rate.

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by kodded(m): 6:32am On Jul 07, 2015
I will make $1 = N1000 .......sai dullard!nho cool

83 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by boboLIL(m): 6:38am On Jul 07, 2015
Nigeria and crisis.....B00hari wat is happening?

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by solarview(m): 6:43am On Jul 07, 2015
Scam republic of...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by sinizia: 6:45am On Jul 07, 2015

87 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Flets: 6:45am On Jul 07, 2015
The current CBN president is only enriching his fellow bank executives through round tripping.

This is what you get when you don't have a finance minister to check the actions of the semi-autonomous CBN

There is no economic justification to stopping bank sale of FX to staple Product importers. Their search of FX in the parallel market is the cause of this pressure. So what is CBN doing the dollars revenue generated from crude sales if they can't service imports?

Buhari should stop this rubbish and get a finance minister.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Brownhypo: 6:48am On Jul 07, 2015
PMB, where at thou

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by sinizia: 6:49am On Jul 07, 2015
Daura Dùllard's tenure has been filled with only bad news. It makes wonder if any good thing will ever come out from the Dùllardinho.

Buhari is the greatest scam sold to Nigerians. He's clueless personified. No single good act from him.

The way Naira is falling under Dùllardinho, it will soon discover expired oil.

Brownhypo:
PMB, where at thou

He's busy building a helipad and governing his cow. What a dùllard.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by boboLIL(m): 6:49am On Jul 07, 2015
sinizia:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2599373_fbimg1434661093691_jpeg2e42db9aee80c2710fadd6f3b403c6d4
l0ls..... Na pure 0ne chance.... B00hari na driver,,,, 0sibanj0 na c0nduct0r....

We n0 de hear sai baba again.....weaklings

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by feedburner(m): 6:53am On Jul 07, 2015
zumen:
The Nigerian foreign exchange market continued to increase yesterday at the bureau de change (BDC) and black market as the value of the naira dropped to a low of N232 and N236.50 against the dollar respectively.

Daily Sun gathered that the value of the naira at the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the interbank end of the foreign exchange market, however, remained stable as the green back sold for N196.95 and N198.58 respectively. At the BDC, the value of the naira against the pound dropped to N350. Pressure had mounted on the naira at the parallel and black market after the CBN, a fortnight ago, curbed access to the dollar on the official interbank market for importation of a wide range of goods, shifting demand for hard currency to the black market.

The foreign external reserves, which had been trending downwards since last year, rose slightly to $29.157 billion, as at July 2 according to latest figures made available by the CBN. This is the highest figure since June 9, 2015 when it stood at $29.181 billion. Meanwhile, the rate at which banks lend among themselves dropped as at the close of business yesterday.

Overnight rate dropped to five year low of 5.1250 per cent while one and three months rates dropped to 14.1547 and 15.5823 per cents respectively. Six-month rate, however, rose slightly to 16.3288 per cnet. -

Read more NAIRA news @

http://zumiinfo.com/2015/07/naira-drops-as-demand-pressure-heightens/

zoo economy in shambles

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by DONMAYOR19(m): 7:04am On Jul 07, 2015
I will make 1naira equal 1 dollar if u vote me in, less than 2 months, naira has gone down drastically as if they are searching for oil well.
This man just scam the gullible Nigeria, I knew it will come to this, someone that left power almost 30 years ago and refuse to update/upgrade himself academically, even low OBJ that has nothing to offer again still went to NOU to acquire degree. No organisation ever gave this d.ullard man any award for any good thing he has done, the only people that ever recognise him was boko haram that chose him to be their spoke man to negotiate with FG then when FG ask then for amnesty, that alone shows that this fraudster is highly connected with this same boko haram people. Check out the certificate saga then, up till now nothing happen, the useless people supporting him started saying even if he present Nepa bill or see thief-nubu robbing central bank, we will still vote for him, oya moona enjoy una change, all the things people criticise GEJ for, this useless illiterate d.ullard man has done it and even more than that. Enough said for now.

Lastly, whoever is the mod that ban me for 3 days for calling this illiterate man Dullardiinho is sick and should check him/herself, well I'm back now, and I will continue to call him Dullardiinho. BAN ME MOD. Hypocrite and bias mod.

111 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by ShowYourCertificate: 7:31am On Jul 07, 2015
Who can remind me what Buhari scored in Economics in his WASC?

Oh, I forgot. He has no certificate grin. No wonder our economy is going from bad to worse.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 07, 2015
More money for awon G boys.

At least when they flex their normal flexing Change go remain.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 07, 2015
Hope buhari acts fast on the promise he made during his electioneering campaign.... Because i cannot or haven't seen the change he was clamoring for,the economy is dwindling & the terrorist sect are increasing their strength.

1 Like

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by eleojo23: 7:41am On Jul 07, 2015
This is serious!
It's like the entire force of gravity has been directed at the Naira. It just keeps falling freely! angry

Buhari, now is the time to use your anti-gravity machine and push the naira back up to N1 =$1.

8 Likes

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 07, 2015
Life in a dutch diseased economy.

Oil price drops.....forex drops...no dollars to buffer the naira....naira falls in value.

Nigeria needs to GET OFF OIL.

Serious countries who have strong currencies....HAVE STRONG INDUSTRIAL BACKUP.

Oil is a curse.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by sotall(m): 7:43am On Jul 07, 2015
Is this what the Duara dullard promised us?

With the naira depreciating in value against the dollar at this rate, how does the president of west Germany hope to make the naira equal to the dollar?

smh.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 07, 2015
feedburner:

zoo economy in shambles

smiley

And if you had Biafra by now...it would even be worse...because we Biafrans would be oil dependent.

Nigeria, Biafra....whatever...needs to forget about oil. Education, innovation, industries....that is what will save us.

Oil prices are falling because.....everybody and his auntie are producing oil. Including the US...which used to be a net importer ten years ago.

Oil is a curse.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by ShakurM(m): 7:43am On Jul 07, 2015
As long as this nation opens legs to all manners of foreign products, most which can be produced locally and this nation encourages it's citizen to go utilize foreign items from overseas, the naira would continue its downward movement.
I believe there's no reason why simple household items like bathroom slippers, toothpicks should be imported into this nation. The advanced nation we look up to started from the bottom now they are here

7 Likes

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by DankemzI(m): 7:43am On Jul 07, 2015
Nigerians Did'nt value what they have (GEJ)
Nigeria was Scamed big time and we all fell fot it!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 7:44am On Jul 07, 2015
One chance Government

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by benedictjohn(m): 7:44am On Jul 07, 2015
Y is dat Man behind Buhari scratching his d.1ck...
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 7:45am On Jul 07, 2015
According to Dangote,we are going to #500 to a $1.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by tolustx(m): 7:45am On Jul 07, 2015
Ah!!!

Drop again

$1 = N236
£1 = N350

#BabaWeAreWaiting

I wonder what Obama's reaction was when Buhari said he wld make one dollar equal to one naira. What do u think his reaction was like

15 Likes

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by CHARLEH(m): 7:45am On Jul 07, 2015
Hmmm...God 'll take perfect control.
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 07, 2015
Euro31:
One chance Government

Actually....GEJ's fault too...for not getting us off oil.

Stop blaming Buhari for your mistakes.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 07, 2015
eleojo23:
It's like the entire force of gravity has been directed to the Naira. It keeps falling freely!
sotall:
ok
ShakurM:
Pause
DankemzI:
g
benedictjohn:
BH
benedictjohn:
BH
benedictjohn:
BH
To slap una just dey hungry me

5 Likes

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by benedictjohn(m): 7:47am On Jul 07, 2015
Dorrobucci:
To slap una just dey hungry me
LOL!
Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by Pavore9: 7:48am On Jul 07, 2015
This is serious!

2 Likes

Re: Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens by maxwell530(m): 7:50am On Jul 07, 2015
I said it that there is no diference only a change of party.and there is nothing this man will use to surpass gej achivements.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fire Razes Down Temple Hill Supermarket In Festac, Lagos / The Best Items To Import Into Nigeria (selling @ Wholesale) / Fire Guts Ajao Estate Market (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.