Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,364 members, 7,850,333 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:41 PM

Rio's Drug Shame Revisited - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rio's Drug Shame Revisited (1008 Views)

Full List Of 30 Players Invited To Camp By Samson Siasia For Rio Olympics / Susanne Ibru Jailed Again For Stalking Man Utd's Rio Ferdinand / Arsenal's Unbeaten Run Revisited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rio's Drug Shame Revisited by Akolawole(m): 3:10am On Sep 23, 2006
Like most members of Three Lions, Rio has written his book.

What did he says about his missing drug?

Please enjoy the extract the book " My Story":

When I got up to go training on Tuesday September 23, 2003, I had no inkling of the monumental events which were about to engulf me.

It was the day I missed a drugs test, an incident which landed me with an eight-month ban and gave anyone who fancied it the opportunity to give me a kicking.

But you know what? People said to me at the time that they wondered whether David Beckham — and this was in no way ever meant as a slant on Becks — had done the same thing, there was any chance on earth he would have received a ban.

He was England captain, the biggest name in football. The suits would have found a way to let him off, surely? That was their thinking.

At worse he would have got a slap on the wrist. They wouldn’t have banned the man who was the face of the England team around the world. I listened. Maybe they were right, but for me, it felt like I was an easier target.

On the day of the test we jogged out for a fairly light 45-minute session and the club doctor, Mike Stone, told me, Nicky Butt, Ryan Giggs and John O’Shea that we had a drugs test at the end of it.

In the changing room I was having a massage and a bit of banter with the lads, like I would most days.

Back on top , he celebrates goal
Then I went in the shower, which was when Dr Stone shouted to me, ‘Rio, the drugs test. Do it before you go.’ So I said, ‘Yeah, no probs.’

Twenty minutes later I’d finished getting ready and walked straight out the door to my car.

When I walked out I didn’t go past anybody, so there was nothing to remind me again that I had to have a test.

I know I should have remembered. I’d been told twice, the last time only 20 minutes earlier, but I forgot.

Not much of an excuse, but that’s what happened. At the time I was moving house and all I was thinking about was that I had to go into town to get some bed linen that my girlfriend Rebecca had asked me to pick up.

I headed off to Manchester city centre.

While walking around I bumped into Eyal Berkovic, my old mate from West Ham who was then at Manchester City. We decided to have some lunch and a chat.

As usual I had my phone on silent because it rings all the time and I get loads of text messages. I didn’t bother with the phone until I’d ordered my food.

Dr Stone had sent a text and a voice message saying, ‘Rio, come back, you’ve got your drugs test.’

I phoned the doctor straight away and said, ‘Doc, I’m in town. It will take me 20 minutes to get to you.’

The full story , Rio's book
He told me they’d just left, so I said, ‘Can you give them a ring and tell them to come back? I’ll be there.’

He didn’t have their number and went, ‘This could be serious. You can get in trouble for this, really bad trouble.’

I told him I would ring the FA. But Michelle Farrar, the England players’ liaison officer, was away.

Also, the man who ran the FA’s drugs-testing department was on holiday and no one had the number of the people who came out to do the test.

Then a lady at the FA rang me and said I could take a test a couple of days later. I did the test and, of course, passed with flying colours.

Later FA executive director David Davies told me I wouldn’t be playing in the next England game against Turkey, saying, ‘You’ve missed a drug test and FIFA could ban you for up to two years.’

FA boss Mark Palios wanted his organisation admired around the world as a tough, no-nonsense outfit not afraid to crack down on their own.

As I saw it, he must have thought, ‘F*** Rio Ferdinand, I’m going to do him.’

Looking at the case as an outsider I would maybe think, ‘Rio’s got something to hide.’ But the fact was I didn’t.

I had nothing to hide, my phone records proved that.

I rang the doc and the FA to try and sort it out as soon as I realised my mistake , that’s not the actions of a drug cheat.

When I was told at the FA hearing that I was banned for eight months I could not believe it. They were taking away from me the game I loved. I was in tears.

I had a hair follicle test, which checks for drugs in your system over the previous six months. There was nothing.

I knew I hadn’t been under the influence of any drugs.

Despite the rumours to the contrary, I’ve never taken any illegal substances in my life, not even cannabis. I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

I know no one can.

What can you say to this?

Re: Rio's Drug Shame Revisited by Jackal(m): 8:06am On Sep 23, 2006
A very sad story.
He was used as a scape-goat but i can only blame Rio's care-free attitude for the whole incident.
If Wayne Rooney, John Terry or David Beckham had missed the test i doubt if the FA would have banned any of 'em for 8 months.
We all know racism is still alive and this should teach other players a big lesson.

(1) (Reply)

. / In 9ja I Believe. / Siasia- I 'll Never Speak With Onuoha Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.