Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,350 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In (1473 Views)

Community For Electronic Engineers, Enthusiast, Hobbyist, Inventors / Mini Bus Made By UNIZIK Engineers, Looking Better Than Ever / Boy Builds Two Electronic Toy Trucks In Enugu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by shortgun(m): 8:50pm On Jul 07, 2015
I need help on a project am working on.

I want to connect 30 pieces of 20w lights:The lights input is 12V DC.

I will need a transformer for this connection.

My question now is ;
Can I install a 600w transformer and connect the lights to the transformer or do I need to get 20w transformers each for the individual light points.
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by GuiltySpark343(m): 3:02am On Jul 08, 2015
please pass your o'level physics first...mtcheew... connect your 30 12v 20watt bulb to 12volt battery supply...children of nowadays with thier lazy attitude
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by shortgun(m): 10:21pm On Jul 08, 2015
GuiltySpark343:
please pass your o'level physics first...mtcheew... connect your 30 12v 20watt bulb to 12volt battery supply...children of nowadays with thier lazy attitude
My power source is 220 AC while the lights are 20watt 12V DC: that's why I'll need transformer(s)
No need for the insults sir.
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by GuiltySpark343(m): 11:27pm On Jul 08, 2015
shortgun:

My power source is 220 AC while the lights are 20watt 12V DC: that's why I'll need transformer(s)
No need for the insults sir.

you have to use 1 600watt transformer then you "rectify" the ac to dc for use by the bulbs commonly bridge rectifiers are used,why you want to run without walking is what i dont know,children of nowadays
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by shortgun(m): 12:49am On Jul 09, 2015
GuiltySpark343:

you have to use 1 600watt transformer then you "rectify" the ac to dc for use by the bulbs commonly bridge rectifiers are used,why you want to run without walking is what i dont know,children of nowadays
I thought most transformers/adapters come with inbuilt rectifier
Why do I need to get a transformer and a rectifier.
I also have concern for wattage loses due to length of wires(resistance).
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by GuiltySpark343(m): 1:01am On Jul 09, 2015
is your type that will argue with thier tutor (am out of this thread),calling electrical engrs ,can you pass jamb sef
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by Queed: 6:56am On Jul 09, 2015
shortgun:

I thought most transformers/adapters come with inbuilt rectifier
Why do I need to get a transformer and a rectifier.
I also have concern for wattage loses due to length of wires(resistance).

cool down bro,
you don't need an engineering degree to build that which you want to build grin

a Transformer is somewhat different from an adapter wink

you may describe a transformer as a "crude" adapter smiley

Let's start with; What kind of bulb do you want to power up? LEDs?
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by shortgun(m): 7:19am On Jul 09, 2015
Queed:

cool down bro,
you don't need an engineering degree to build that which you want to build grin

a Transformer is somewhat different from an adapter wink

you may describe a transformer as a "crude" adapter smiley

Let's start with; What kind of bulb do you want to power up? LEDs?

30 pieces of of 20w LED bulbs spaced 0.65m from each other.
The power source is about 15m away from light points.
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by shortgun(m): 7:26am On Jul 09, 2015
GuiltySpark343:
is your type that will argue with thier tutor (am out of this thread),calling electrical engrs ,can you pass jamb sef
You came in with anger you are leaving with anger........ what is eating you up sire?
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by GuiltySpark343(m): 11:59am On Jul 09, 2015
my annoyance is that you are not a straight forward person cum you didnt lay the cards on the table,first you said 30 12dc bulb with a transformer,which i answered,second you brought the transformer and adapter scenario and now there is a third senario of the ac powersource being 15m away,and you want the bulb to be 0.something meters apart,why cant you just post the problem ONCE with all the details?
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by GuiltySpark343(m): 1:27pm On Jul 09, 2015
Another thing that annoys me is that you dont have synergy(that aside),

This is what you have to do

Get a 15.5m cable 13amperes rating will do, then connect your 600watts transformer to 220/240v side, then to the 12v output you connect your bridge rectifier(more accurately your diode bridge, see figure below), then two capacitors, an LED diode, resistor

OR

an adaptor has this the only thing is that it has lower power so you have to change your bulbs to smaller wattage

Then you connect...

I have four previous post on your thread, with this post making it five, like all five post and i will complete this post

1 Share

Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by Queed: 4:59pm On Jul 09, 2015
shortgun:

30 pieces of of 20w LED bulbs spaced 0.65m from each other.
The power source is about 15m away from light points.

Ok.

Are you opting for an already made adaptor or you want to construct your own using a transformer with bridge rectifier?
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by shortgun(m): 7:12pm On Jul 09, 2015
Queed:

Ok.

Are you opting for an already made adaptor or you want to construct your own using a transformer with bridge rectifier?

I will settle for the already made adaptor.
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by Queed: 7:27pm On Jul 09, 2015
shortgun:

I will settle for the already made adaptor.

Ok. Would they all be switched on at the same time? If so, I would suggest you get a 12v 700 or 1000watts adapter instead of a 600watts to be on a safe side. if not, you can stick with 600watts adaptor.
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by shortgun(m): 7:42pm On Jul 09, 2015
Queed:

Ok. Would they all be switched on at the same time? If so, I would suggest you get a 12v 700 or 1000watts adapter instead of a 600watts to be on a safe side. if not, you can stick with 600watts adaptor.
Thanks Boss,
I think I will like to switch on half of the lights at a time (15 lights to a switch)

Secondly, where do u think is the best position for the adapter?
Is it close to the power source which is 15m from the lights?
OR
Close to the lights.

I will like to use the first option.
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by Queed: 8:15pm On Jul 09, 2015
shortgun:

Thanks Boss,
I think I will like to switch on half of the lights at a time (15 lights to a switch)

Secondly, where do u think is the best position for the adapter?
Is it close to the power source which is 15m from the lights?
OR
Close to the lights.

I will like to use the first option.

Ehmmm.. it would be better and more efficient if the adaptor is close to the light, while the ac mains input be 15m away, with this, u minimize the heat loss and voltage drop in the wire, an average of 15bulbs, that's 25.5A running through the wire, use tick wires and let the adaptor be as close as possible to the light bulbs!!
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by saintneo(m): 9:20pm On Jul 09, 2015
Hello shortgun What is the aim of your project?

Great suggestions guys.
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by shortgun(m): 9:38pm On Jul 09, 2015
Queed:

Ehmmm.. it would be better and more efficient if the adaptor is close to the light, while the ac mains input be 15m away, with this, u minimize the heat loss and voltage drop in the wire, an average of 15bulbs, that's 25.5A running through the wire, use tick wires and let the adaptor be as close as possible to the light bulbs!!
Thanks once again for your great contributions.
Talking about wires, will 2.5mm flex do the job? that is from adaptor to light points.
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by shortgun(m): 9:46pm On Jul 09, 2015
saintneo:
Hello shortgun
What is the aim of your project?

Great suggestions guys.
We are building an architectural water fountain.
The fountain will require submersible LED lights (30 in number)
As you know we will not use high Voltage light units underwater for safety reasons ;so we are making use of 12V 30w waterproof LED lights

Thanks for your interest.
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by saintneo(m): 3:36am On Jul 10, 2015
shortgun

Ok.

If you want half of the bulbs to be ON at an instance, then you will need calculate your power based half the total load.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-5Rb1O3sdKM0/VZ82PGjhPBI/AAAAAAAAAZY/7EQ-ZzJZ6oc/s1600/2015-07-10%2B03.33.31.jpg[/img]

Visit Solution Tree for explanation.
Re: Electrical And Electronic Engineers Come In by Rectifier: 9:05am On Nov 17, 2019
Great thread

(1) (Reply)

About Infinix Hot S X521 - 3gb Ram, Fingerprint Sensor And Vr Technology) / Meet Nigerian Born Facebook Engineer Olaoluwa Okelola From Oyo State / I Refused To Take My Cash From ATM And It Took It Back...... + Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.