Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. (4388 Views)

5 Classes Of People To Value / 15 Ways To Increase Your Value And Influence At Work / What Is The Lowest Income A Person Living In Lagos Should Earn To Live Decently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by Joskiro50: 10:38pm On Jul 09, 2015
Value is simply the usefulness and importance of something or someone. It was Albert Einstein that advised that one shouldn’t try to be a person of success but to rather be a person of value. I believe the reason he said this is that value is directly connected to success. The equation is simple, the more valuable you are, the more successful you are. We shouldn’t equally forget that value is connected to influence. When value grows, influence grows. Here are ways to become a person of value and influence;

1. Find and pursue Purpose and passion:

The great and influential men and women the world has ever known where those who discovered and pursued their purposes and were driven by their passions. When you are on the path of purpose, it is easier to add significant value to the lives of people. You will hardly be of any significant value to people or influence them when you don’t know where you are going. Purpose ignites passion which keeps one motivated, inspired and focused. You need all that to be valuable and influential.

2. Embrace Personal development:

Becoming a person of value and influence demands embracing a life long pursuit of personal development. Personal development is a process of understanding and developing oneself to realize one’s fullest potential. The extent to which you are able to add value and influence others depends on the extent to which you have been able to develop yourself. Every raw material has little or no value. It actually becomes valuable after it has been refined. Take time to refine yourself in every area. That could be hard but it is quite rewarding. Daily ask yourself, “What do I need to learn or do to become a better person? Your value depends on the value you offer.

3. Choose A Problem You Can Solve For People:

To be a person of value and influence, you have to become genuinely interested in people enough to solve a specific problem for them. Think of what you can do to make lives better. The more people you solve their problems, the more valuable and influential you become.

4. Be Original and Unique:

When we live our lives mimicking or imitating others, it steals our originality. Guess what? Imitations don’t get much attention, originals do. I believe you’ve heard that when you imitate someone else, the best you can be is second best. That’s very true. To be a person of influence don’t be any one else. Be YOU. Yes! YOU.

5. Pursue Excellence:

Becoming a person of value and influence is not going to be much about what you do but about how well you do it. It is said that whatever worth doing is worth doing well. Go beyond the usual. Add a touch of class in all you do. That’s what excellence is all about. But mind you it is not the same as perfection.

6. Encourage & Inspire Others:

Someone once said a candle does not go off by lightning another. Find a way to encourage and inspire others to be all they can be. Empower, share your knowledge and skills with others. Your value and influence is connected to the number of lives that are better because of you.

7. Exude Confidence: Self-confidence is one quality that’s very admirable. it is about knowing what you want and having the courage and boldness to go for it. When you are self-confident, people easily get attracted to you and when you do no have it, the opposite becomes the case. Are you wondering why? The reason is simple. What value do you think a person who does not believe in himself can offer? Your guess is as good as mine.

8. Integrity: It is true that none of us is perfect but for you to be a person of value and influence you have to be able to earn people’s confidence and trust. You should be able to live by certain values that uphold sound moral principles. Integrity means doing the right thing at all times and in all circumstances, whether or not it is convenient. It is about being sincere and real. It is about being honest enough to admit it when you are wrong. It is your “yes” as “yes” and your “no” as “no”. It is people trusting you not for any other reason but because you have earned their trust.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by Olumyco(m): 11:20pm On Jul 09, 2015
Nice one
Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by Macwytt(m): 6:20am On Jul 10, 2015
Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by Leonardkelvin96(m): 2:41pm On Jul 10, 2015
God bless u 4 dat brother!
Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by Joskiro50: 10:06am On Jul 14, 2015
Olumyco:
Nice one
Enx
Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by Joskiro50: 10:06am On Jul 14, 2015
Leonardkelvin96:
God bless u 4 dat brother!

Amen, bless you too.
Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by bare1(m): 8:02am On Aug 23, 2015
Joskiro50:
Value is simply the usefulness and importance of something or someone. It was Albert Einstein that advised that one shouldn’t try to be a person of success but to rather be a person of value. I believe the reason he said this is that value is directly connected to success. The equation is simple, the more valuable you are, the more successful you are. We shouldn’t equally forget that value is connected to influence. When value grows, influence grows. Here are ways to become a person of value and influence;

1. Find and pursue Purpose and passion:

The great and influential men and women the world has ever known where those who discovered and pursued their purposes and were driven by their passions. When you are on the path of purpose, it is easier to add significant value to the lives of people. You will hardly be of any significant value to people or influence them when you don’t know where you are going. Purpose ignites passion which keeps one motivated, inspired and focused. You need all that to be valuable and influential.

2. Embrace Personal development:

Becoming a person of value and influence demands embracing a life long pursuit of personal development. Personal development is a process of understanding and developing oneself to realize one’s fullest potential. The extent to which you are able to add value and influence others depends on the extent to which you have been able to develop yourself. Every raw material has little or no value. It actually becomes valuable after it has been refined. Take time to refine yourself in every area. That could be hard but it is quite rewarding. Daily ask yourself, “What do I need to learn or do to become a better person? Your value depends on the value you offer.

3. Choose A Problem You Can Solve For People:

To be a person of value and influence, you have to become genuinely interested in people enough to solve a specific problem for them. Think of what you can do to make lives better. The more people you solve their problems, the more valuable and influential you become.

4. Be Original and Unique:

When we live our lives mimicking or imitating others, it steals our originality. Guess what? Imitations don’t get much attention, originals do. I believe you’ve heard that when you imitate someone else, the best you can be is second best. That’s very true. To be a person of influence don’t be any one else. Be YOU. Yes! YOU.

5. Pursue Excellence:

Becoming a person of value and influence is not going to be much about what you do but about how well you do it. It is said that whatever worth doing is worth doing well. Go beyond the usual. Add a touch of class in all you do. That’s what excellence is all about. But mind you it is not the same as perfection.

6. Encourage & Inspire Others:

Someone once said a candle does not go off by lightning another. Find a way to encourage and inspire others to be all they can be. Empower, share your knowledge and skills with others. Your value and influence is connected to the number of lives that are better because of you.

7. Exude Confidence: Self-confidence is one quality that’s very admirable. it is about knowing what you want and having the courage and boldness to go for it. When you are self-confident, people easily get attracted to you and when you do no have it, the opposite becomes the case. Are you wondering why? The reason is simple. What value do you think a person who does not believe in himself can offer? Your guess is as good as mine.

8. Integrity: It is true that none of us is perfect but for you to be a person of value and influence you have to be able to earn people’s confidence and trust. You should be able to live by certain values that uphold sound moral principles. Integrity means doing the right thing at all times and in all circumstances, whether or not it is convenient. It is about being sincere and real. It is about being honest enough to admit it when you are wrong. It is your “yes” as “yes” and your “no” as “no”. It is people trusting you not for any other reason but because you have earned their trust.

Great post Sir. Are you into any personal development programs?
Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by Rick9(m): 11:58pm On Aug 23, 2015
thanks alot for this lovely post #Inspiring
Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by engrbrume(m): 11:59pm On Aug 23, 2015
'Thought Of The Day:
Don't listen to the masses on how to create wealth because 97% of people have no clue, I mean absolutely no freaking idea. At 17, after reading "Rich Dad Poor Dad" & "Think Big & Kick Ass" I began to question many things being taught to me by family, teachers, friends parents, all of it. It clearly states to "Take advice from people that have proven results." It doesn't say "take advice from mom/dad/teachers/whoever just because they're your elders or they're adults. That's plain dumb & makes no sense. If you want to be a millionaire then listen to millionaires. You want to make $50K a year? Go listen to "Uncle Jimmy Billy Bob Johnson."
I've also learned age means just about nothing when it comes to financial intelligence. There are young people who are financially free & get it. There are also 50 year old men with families who have 0 clue. A good rule of thumb in life, not only business, is to ONLY listen to and take advice from people who are currently leading the life you desire. If I am EVER in front of or near anyone who has what I want.. I immediately ask them, "What is the secret to your success / give me one tip." When you ask this #1 you make them feel good & #2 you're about to learn. Did this exact thing a few nights ago with the #2 sports agent in professional sports, I've done this to John Paul Digorio (Paul Mitchell Systems networth $2,800,000,000), & just about everyone else I come in contact with who's "Got It."
You wouldn't take advice about fitness from an overweight person or relationship advice from Tiger or Kobe.. So why are you listening to BROKE, yes I said BROKE family members, friends, & teachers?
It's too funny when people get started in Network Marketing and their friends say "Oh you got started in one of those things, oh no." My response and thought is "What the hell is your plan and what the hell are you even talking about? What are you doing to get wealthy? Slaving 8 hours a day being told when to take your own family on vacation? As you are in the hole $70,000 from your (education aka 4 year scam most of the time) This is MY way out!"
Anyways this may seem aggressive or mean or whatever but it's the TRUTH. What society and most households teach their kids, us, is disgusting. You should do what you love to do, get good enough at it, and eventually it will pay you. If you fully don't enjoy what you're doing, then stop doing it. Life's too short to not do what you love.
MAIN TAKEAWAY:
Listen to people who have what you want. And to everyone else, nod your head, smile, agree, & let it go in one ear and out the other' - Alex Morton.

2 Likes

Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by Ralphlauren(m): 12:36am On Aug 24, 2015
Olokings

Gosh! What's your problem?

Why are you lot so hard to please? It's post like yours that will deter others from offering valuable help or tips on this forum.

She stated boldly in her post that it's no advert and she's only coming here to "give back" and share her experience like people like you always request for. Isn't that good enough?

But as usual, "oversabi" or will I call it "notice me" trait, made you drop that comment. You are just as bad as firstmum. Must you comment on every post? You have no info to pass/share yet those that do, you can't resist the itch to pass unnecessary comments.

She hasn't mentioned the details of the crib she stayed neither as she dropped any number. Neither is she forcing anyone to stay where she stayed.

Getting suitable accommodation based on recommendation for those birthing in US (especially those with no family or friends in the birth city of their choice) is just as important as getting a doctor/hospital based on recommendation. Afterall, people drop the names of hospitals/doctors they've used here and that's not tagged as advertising.

No doubt some people will find her post very useful same with her recommendation for accommodation - especially first time parents. It's their choice after contacting her to get info about the accommodation details and associated costs on whether to go for it or not.

After all, there was a post from a woman here very recently on how she was told by her relative that the $600 she was told would cost to share a 2bed flat is very expensive. So sorting/getting suitable accommodation issue must be a big deal for some parents here. So leave people that are willing to help out to do so. Damn!

Cc: Udumeme
Madam, ignore that dude. you've done well with your post and I'm sure a lot of people will find it very useful.
Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by Joskiro50: 6:03pm On Sep 03, 2015
[quote author=bare1 post=37241120]

Great post Sir. Are you into any personal development programs? [/quote

No, not at all sir (at least, for now). I'm just a young lad seeking for the best in life through sharpening my mentality.
Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by Joskiro50: 6:05pm On Sep 03, 2015
Rick9:
thanks alot for this lovely post #Inspiring

I'm glad it's appreciated. Thanks sire
Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by Joskiro50: 6:11pm On Sep 03, 2015
engrbrume:
'Thought Of The Day:
Don't listen to the masses on how to create wealth because 97% of people have no clue, I mean absolutely no freaking idea. At 17, after reading "Rich Dad Poor Dad" & "Think Big & Kick Ass" I began to question many things being taught to me by family, teachers, friends parents, all of it. It clearly states to "Take advice from people that have proven results." It doesn't say "take advice from mom/dad/teachers/whoever just because they're your elders or they're adults. That's plain dumb & makes no sense. If you want to be a millionaire then listen to millionaires. You want to make $50K a year? Go listen to "Uncle Jimmy Billy Bob Johnson."
I've also learned age means just about nothing when it comes to financial intelligence. There are young people who are financially free & get it. There are also 50 year old men with families who have 0 clue. A good rule of thumb in life, not only business, is to ONLY listen to and take advice from people who are currently leading the life you desire. If I am EVER in front of or near anyone who has what I want.. I immediately ask them, "What is the secret to your success / give me one tip." When you ask this #1 you make them feel good & #2 you're about to learn. Did this exact thing a few nights ago with the #2 sports agent in professional sports, I've done this to John Paul Digorio (Paul Mitchell Systems networth $2,800,000,000), & just about everyone else I come in contact with who's "Got It."
You wouldn't take advice about fitness from an overweight person or relationship advice from Tiger or Kobe.. So why are you listening to BROKE, yes I said BROKE family members, friends, & teachers?
It's too funny when people get started in Network Marketing and their friends say "Oh you got started in one of those things, oh no." My response and thought is "What the hell is your plan and what the hell are you even talking about? What are you doing to get wealthy? Slaving 8 hours a day being told when to take your own family on vacation? As you are in the hole $70,000 from your (education aka 4 year scam most of the time) This is MY way out!"
Anyways this may seem aggressive or mean or whatever but it's the TRUTH. What society and most households teach their kids, us, is disgusting. You should do what you love to do, get good enough at it, and eventually it will pay you. If you fully don't enjoy what you're doing, then stop doing it. Life's too short to not do what you love.
MAIN TAKEAWAY:
Listen to people who have what you want. And to everyone else, nod your head, smile, agree, & let it go in one ear and out the other' - Alex Morton.

As much as your post is difficult to apprehend due to complexity and it being uncalled for, I still appreciate. Thanks sire
Re: How To Become A Person Of Value And Influence. by bare1(m): 1:06am On Sep 13, 2015
[quote author=Joskiro50 post=37638863][/quote]

You're doing good bro. I think you would get better results from one though.

(1) (Reply)

Why Yoruba's Dont Join The Nigerian Army / It Has To Stop!!!! She Is Mad!!!! / How Do You Feel When Sales Sail Southwards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.