Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,232 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team (4514 Views)

9 Steps To Take Before Quitting Your Job!!! / 5 Tools To Help Your Team Collaboration Get Better Than Ever / Five Ways To Deal With Rudeness In Your Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 02, 2017
The business world continues to see the birth of different tools for generating ideas almost on daily basis, however, the role of brainstorming is still huge especially when the task or problem requires team effort. Brainstorming gives credence to the wise old saying: “two heads are better than one”, as it is different from the individual act of thinking because it involves the coming together of a group of people.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/9447-2/

According to Merriam Webster Dictionary: “Brainstorming is a group problem-solving technique that involves the spontaneous contribution of ideas from all members of a group; also; the mulling over of ideas by one or more individuals in an attempt to devise or find a solution to a problem.”

Why brainstorm

As stated above; brainstorming helps an individual or team see an idea from different perspective. Brainstorming helps to achieve the following among other things:

It helps to produce many ideas or solutions in a short time
It stimulates the creative thinking process
It helps ensure that all group members’ ideas are considered.
Whether you are a small business owner, a startup, team lead or CEO of a large conglomerate, having the right team mix which you can have sessions with speaks volume about how far you go especially if you are in an innovative and highly competitive market.

While the composition of a team matters in terms of how creative and effective they are not only in ideas generation and solving problems, it is a different subject matter for another day.

Brainstorming has become more like slang in the corporate world especially in consulting services. A visit to these agencies will reveal the depth at which this term is used albeit in a wrong context. There are silent rules to brainstorming which help teams get the most out of it. Everyone needs to understand when to use it, how to use it as well as its dos and don’ts.

When to brainstorm

Ever being faced with a client’s brief and you are not sure of what to make of it all alone; I think it might be time to involve other members of the team in a brainstorming session. Situations like these as well as others like when:

completing elements in a project charter
identifying how best to tackle a research questions
identifying potential causes to investigate
identifying types of data to collect
identifying solution ideas
Brainstorming puts a face to your team as it enables every member of the team participate in contributing to the results achieved in the team.

How to brainstorm

These following steps will guide you whenever you want commence a brainstorming session:

Review the problem definition
Clarify the problem/question and provide all information that can help the team understand what the problem/question is about.
Allow the team digest the information in few minutes and tell them to write down their ideas. Ensure everyone writes something down. No idea is bad or outrageous.
Gather ideas: make sure there is no discussion until all ideas are gathered
Consolidate similar ideas and discuss the complete set of ideas.
After these steps you can use other tools to enable you narrow down or prioritize the ideas so that you can select the best or most applicable to the problem/question at the moment.

DOs and DON’Ts

To get the most out of your brainstorming sessions, there is need for you to observe these dos and don’ts:

DO…

Go for quantity (not necessarily quality) at the early stage
Allow everyone to complete his or her thoughts
Start from the base by building on existing ideas
Be brief when stating an idea
Organize, categorize and evaluate only after the brainstorming session
DON’T…

Criticize ideas (do not allow ‘idea assassins”)
Make judgments as ideas are being offered
Paraphrase an individual’s idea when scribing
Allow only one person to dominate the session

You now have all it takes to conduct a successful brainstorming session for any kind of problem or question you or your team may be facing.

For related posts, Kindly visit :

www.brandspurng.com

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by k4kings(m): 7:14am On Sep 03, 2017
Nice.. ..
I almost said today is my birthday show some love people... But I remembered its a Sunday no need lying.. Let me see if u people will still show some love with ur likes.. ..

8 Likes

Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by bamasite(m): 7:15am On Sep 03, 2017
I see.

Are these the exact steps Rohr took in brainstorming with the super eagles to ensure they massacre the indomitable lions of Cameroon? grin grin grin

[img]https://2.bp..com/-1layNsR_3Vc/WamlVBrcHhI/AAAAAAAABR4/Ej9iU1p8dh0UMnV95JGV9XR5IbCS_zF4QCLcBGAs/s640/Arsenal%2Band%2Bcameroon-01.png[/img]

ARSENAL ADOPTS CAMEROON AS OFFICIAL NATIONAL TEAM VOTE HERE
Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by younglleo: 7:16am On Sep 03, 2017
i smell.....
Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by Nobody: 7:16am On Sep 03, 2017
The problem that comes from brainstorming with a team is when one feels like his opinion is ultimatum and counts while others don't. Irrespective of how knowledgeable I am, I sometimes try to be silent and listen. Surprisely, they usually end of striking a chord I haven't seen before.. Two heads are better than one..

Visit my signature

1 Like

Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by KayDEAN(m): 7:16am On Sep 03, 2017
Nice write up.
Brainstorming saves you time and money
Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by osaslord500(m): 7:17am On Sep 03, 2017
Many people will not read the tread complete but if it's hushpuppi or other celebrities they will open their eyes like rabbits

3 Likes

Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by Josephjnr(m): 7:19am On Sep 03, 2017
I have nothing to say. lipsrsealed
Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by freeman95(m): 7:37am On Sep 03, 2017
HenryDion:
The problem that comes from brainstorming with a team is when one feels like his opinion is ultimatum and counts while others don't. Irrespective of how knowledgeable I am, I sometimes try to be silent and listen. Surprisely, they usually end of striking a chord I haven't seen before.. Two heads are better than one..

Visit my signature

I like your site...

Think you will go far... Keep it up
Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 03, 2017
freeman95:

I like your site...

Think you will go far... Keep it up

Thanks sir.. You just made my day. grin

1 Like

Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by KingBish(f): 9:04am On Sep 03, 2017
I honestly didn't read the post cos I know there's no manual for brainstorming.
But you people should help k4kings with likes; depression isn't a joke grin
Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by Dronedude(m): 1:30pm On Sep 03, 2017
Really Nairalanders, i visited this topic by 7AM and till now, comments haven't exceeded front page. Abi nothing to comment about brainstorming?
Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by GreatManBee: 5:39pm On Sep 03, 2017
Thanks. Really insightful.
Re: Steps To Brainstorming With Your Team by GreatManBee: 5:50pm On Sep 03, 2017
tripleY:
The business world continues to see the birth of different tools for generating ideas almost on daily basis, however, the role of brainstorming is still huge especially when the task or problem requires team effort. Brainstorming gives credence to the wise old saying: “two heads are better than one”, as it is different from the individual act of thinking because it involves the coming together of a group of people.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/9447-2/

According to Merriam Webster Dictionary: “Brainstorming is a group problem-solving technique that involves the spontaneous contribution of ideas from all members of a group; also; the mulling over of ideas by one or more individuals in an attempt to devise or find a solution to a problem.”

Why brainstorm

As stated above; brainstorming helps an individual or team see an idea from different perspective. Brainstorming helps to achieve the following among other things:

It helps to produce many ideas or solutions in a short time
It stimulates the creative thinking process
It helps ensure that all group members’ ideas are considered.
Whether you are a small business owner, a startup, team lead or CEO of a large conglomerate, having the right team mix which you can have sessions with speaks volume about how far you go especially if you are in an innovative and highly competitive market.

While the composition of a team matters in terms of how creative and effective they are not only in ideas generation and solving problems, it is a different subject matter for another day.

Brainstorming has become more like slang in the corporate world especially in consulting services. A visit to these agencies will reveal the depth at which this term is used albeit in a wrong context. There are silent rules to brainstorming which help teams get the most out of it. Everyone needs to understand when to use it, how to use it as well as its dos and don’ts.

When to brainstorm

Ever being faced with a client’s brief and you are not sure of what to make of it all alone; I think it might be time to involve other members of the team in a brainstorming session. Situations like these as well as others like when:

completing elements in a project charter
identifying how best to tackle a research questions
identifying potential causes to investigate
identifying types of data to collect
identifying solution ideas
Brainstorming puts a face to your team as it enables every member of the team participate in contributing to the results achieved in the team.

How to brainstorm

These following steps will guide you whenever you want commence a brainstorming session:

Review the problem definition
Clarify the problem/question and provide all information that can help the team understand what the problem/question is about.
Allow the team digest the information in few minutes and tell them to write down their ideas. Ensure everyone writes something down. No idea is bad or outrageous.
Gather ideas: make sure there is no discussion until all ideas are gathered
Consolidate similar ideas and discuss the complete set of ideas.
After these steps you can use other tools to enable you narrow down or prioritize the ideas so that you can select the best or most applicable to the problem/question at the moment.

DOs and DON’Ts

To get the most out of your brainstorming sessions, there is need for you to observe these dos and don’ts:

DO…

Go for quantity (not necessarily quality) at the early stage
Allow everyone to complete his or her thoughts
Start from the base by building on existing ideas
Be brief when stating an idea
Organize, categorize and evaluate only after the brainstorming session
DON’T…

Criticize ideas (do not allow ‘idea assassins”)
Make judgments as ideas are being offered
Paraphrase an individual’s idea when scribing
Allow only one person to dominate the session

You now have all it takes to conduct a successful brainstorming session for any kind of problem or question you or your team may be facing.

For related posts, Kindly visit :

www.brandspurng.com

(1) (Reply)

Hse Level 3 Members In The House? / Delayed Salaries: Luth Resident Doctors Stage Protest / Searching For A Job? Look Inwards!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.