Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,357 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion (1968 Views)

Dino Melaye Launches His Anti-corruption Book, Patience Jonathan, Saraki Attend / Shehu Sani Blasts El-Rufai For His Anti-Tinubu & Southwest Comment / Buhari, Tinubu, Amaechi Break Ramadan Fast This Evening (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by FreeGlobe(f): 12:02pm On Jul 10, 2015
While the rest of us are awaiting the promised change I want to comment on the recent public show by the EFCC. As far as I'm concerned, there is no difference with what the EFCC is doing now under Buhari with what it did under Obasanjo which is political vendetta. If Buhari's administration wants us to take him seriously, he should 'permit' the arrest and probe of Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State and Ahmed Tinubu of Lagos state.
For all we know the present administration in Rivers State has announced major economic crimes against the former governor of the state including looting of government properties. For EFCC to ignore these tangible claims and be chasing after shadows to gain cheap popularity shows that Buhari's anti-corruption promise is a political ruse.
Also there are a lot of corruption allegations against former governor Bola Tinubu of Lagos state. There is even a viral documentary which aired previously on AIT to this effect. As a part of "leading from the front" which he promised during the elections, Buhari should subject these people to EFCC investigations before working with them or he should forget about fighting corruption or atleast ask the EFCC to stop pretending to be concerned about fighting corruption. Failure to do this will show Nigerians that Buhari is indeed not the messaih they were looking for.
And by the way Buhari should know that Nigerians have not quickly forgotten his promise to declare his assets, atleast he once stated he had only 1 million in his account. Why is it now proving difficult for him to put it to paper and make it official?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by FreeGlobe(f): 12:02pm On Jul 10, 2015
lalasticlala, seun, admin, etc.. Let Nigerians discuss
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by MalcoImX: 12:03pm On Jul 10, 2015
What will Buhari do to satisfy you? Tell me whether it's Buhari that's ordering the EFCC to go after these former governors? Small thing now you'll begin to shout 'dictator, dictator.' If he ordered investigations of all governors and Tinubu and Amaechi are excluded is when you will wail like a wailer. Maybe EFCC took up from where GEJ administration accused Lamido of embezzlement and money laundering, while Amaechi and Tinubu he draped in saintly robe.
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by OreMI22: 12:04pm On Jul 10, 2015
dream on op. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Buhari isn't going to touch one single corrupt friend of his.All of them are what the British call "Sacred cows". The money they made from corruption by stealing from government is theirs for the keeps for ever as long as their benefactor Buhari is president.
But other Nigerians should not expect such immunity.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by Emekamex(m): 12:05pm On Jul 10, 2015
Like I said

Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by FreeGlobe(f): 12:06pm On Jul 10, 2015
APC told us Buhari will not be your average Nigerian politician so yes, I'm dreaming cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by doublewisdom: 12:07pm On Jul 10, 2015
The vindictive super dullard is only fighting the opposition while he dines with the mega corrupt who are his party members.
Somebody needs to prod that his almost senile brain and remind him that this is not 1884!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by ddippset(m): 12:09pm On Jul 10, 2015
no he must not begin with amaechi and tinubu. it defies common sense. the normal thing to do is to start with those who have handed over to him. he must begin with diezani, okonjo iwella, jonathan, wike, orubebe. then he will go to amaechi and tinubu.
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by midolian(m): 12:09pm On Jul 10, 2015
When will you pple ever appreciate something in life?

I remember few days ago when the court ordered Nnamani to forfeit assets to the FG. Some Bigots were saying all sort of rubbish like "Buhari has started. He is hunting the igbos","why is he to forfeit asset to FG and not the state govt?"..Abeg, na Buhari decide for court? If ya pple can have simple talks with the FG, the problem is as good as solved.

Yesterday, it was Lamido. Some Ediots were/are still saying until he jails Tinubu and Amaechi. Now, I am not saying these guys are not corrupt. If u have solid evidence against them, why not present it to these agancies fighting crime? Why rant on nairaland? Plus its barely 6weeks and this man has 3yrs and 10months to go. Why not chill and see what will happen in the long run?

When FFk won in court, these same bigots were happy but never praised Buhari for fairness. They said it was victory for FFK. So, why blame Buhari now? If Buhari starts to throw every corrupt politician in jail without following due process, you guys will say "Buhari is ruling like a military man","He is jailing everyone without trial" "This is democracy" and bla bla bla

I wonder when we will learn to reason as patriots and not bigots.

Na wa o!
Nigerians could be soo annoying @ times

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by FreeGlobe(f): 12:10pm On Jul 10, 2015
Buhari must stop harassing the opposition now!!!! He must lead from the front as he promised. This is what we demand! Lalasticlala I dey look you oh...
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 10, 2015
FreeGlobe:
While the rest of us are awaiting the promised change I want to comment on the recent public show by the EFCC. As far as I'm concerned, there is no difference with what the EFCC is doing now under Buhari with what it did under Obasanjo which is political vendetta. If Buhari's administration wants us to take him seriously, he should 'permit' the arrest and probe of Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State and Ahmed Tinubu of Lagos state.
For all we know the present administration in Rivers State has announced major economic crimes against the former governor of the state including looting of government properties. For EFCC to ignore these tangible claims and be chasing after shadows to gain cheap popularity shows that Buhari's anti-corruption promise is a political ruse.
Also there are a lot of corruption allegations against former governor Bola Tinubu of Lagos state. There is even a viral documentary which aired previously on AIT to this effect. As a part of "leading from the front" which he promised during the elections, Buhari should subject these people to EFCC investigations before working with them or he should forget about fighting corruption or atleast ask the EFCC to stop pretending to be concerned about fighting corruption. Failure to do this will show Nigerians that Buhari is indeed not the messaih they were looking for.
And by the way Buhari should know that Nigerians have not quickly forgotten his promise to declare his assets, atleast he once stated he had only 1 million in his account. Why is it now proving difficult for him to put it to paper and make it official?
Write a petition with evidence to the effc against the people you want investigated. I hope you will appear as witness too. We will celebrate your efforts

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by FreeGlobe(f): 12:19pm On Jul 10, 2015
Obiagelli:

Write a petition with evidence to the effc against the people you want investigated. I hope you will appear as witness too. We will celebrate your efforts
If Buhari's EFCC were up and doing or if they are non partisan, they would have followed the events in Rivers State concerning the allegations against Amaechi and also invited Tinubu for questioning over the Documentary. Its their job and what they are paid to do not mine. These matters are gravy.
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 10, 2015
Your opinion was simply what you said it was-your opinion. Craps...
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jul 10, 2015
FreeGlobe:

If Buhari's EFCC were up and doing or if they are non partisan, they would have followed the events in Rivers State concerning the allegations against Amaechi and also invited Tinubu for questioning over the Documentary. Its their job and what they are paid to do not mine. These matters are gravy.
You can correct this 'error' by sending a petition, since you have full knowledge that they have not been investigated
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 10, 2015
OP Yu 4 arrest uf friend?
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by ogba20: 12:27pm On Jul 10, 2015
FreeGlobe:
lalasticlala, seun, admin, etc.. Let Nigerians discuss
. Yes oo if not i wont believe him. Even obj and co
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by ogba20: 12:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
Obiagelli:

. Are u for or against? because u re not making sense.
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 10, 2015
ogba20:
. Are u for or against? because u re not making sense.
I am actually encouraging him, I wonder what makes sense to you if that doesn't.
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by FreeGlobe(f): 12:34pm On Jul 10, 2015
Obiagelli:

You can correct this 'error' by sending a petition, since you have full knowledge that they have not been investigated
I'm I the one to do Buhari's job for him? I'm just reminding him that we are waiting for the change he promised simple. If he is not competent to do the job, he should resign asap. Stop dragging this matter. Buhari should stop harassing the opposition with his EFCC!
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by MalcoImX: 12:46pm On Jul 10, 2015
FreeGlobe:

Who should Buhari hand himself over to for the documentary aired by the same AIT on him?
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by FreeGlobe(f): 12:51pm On Jul 10, 2015
MalcoImX:
Who should Buhari hand himself over to for the documentary aired by the same AIT on him?
He's enjoying immunity... undecided
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 10, 2015
FreeGlobe:

I'm I the one to do Buhari's job for him? I'm just reminding him that we are waiting for the change he promised simple. If he is not competent to do the job, he should resign asap. Stop dragging this matter. Buhari should stop harassing the opposition with his EFCC!
You just exposed the essence of this thread. Quite easy.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by AZeD1(m): 12:53pm On Jul 10, 2015
FreeGlobe:

Nyarko is a member of the APC, so i don't know where you got "harassing the opposition" from. I am so sure you are unhappy that Lamido and Nyarko are both from the north because it denied you the opportunity to play the tribal card.

PS: It doesn't matter where he starts from, at least he has started.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by FreeGlobe(f): 12:54pm On Jul 10, 2015
Obiagelli:

You just exposed the essence of this thread. Quite easy.
THE ESSENCE OF THIS THREAD IS FOR "BUHARI TO LEAD FROM THE FRONT" AS PROMISED!!

*Is lalasticlala not on duty?
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by phelps007: 1:06pm On Jul 10, 2015
FreeGlobe:

You people should stop disgracing yourselves openly with all the education you claim to have.

If you personally have any evidence of corruption against anyone, you have the right to tender such before EFCC and stop ranting publicly like an illiterate up and down.

Where were you when Buhari and Osinbajo declared there asset? Or are you expecting them to declare that publicly or to you in your house? Sorry, the Nigerian law does not compel any public officer to declare his or her asset publicly but to the Code of conduct bureau.

Do some more reading and listen to reliable news on TV not beer parlour gists.

Save yourself this kind of embarrassment next time....

1 Like

Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by MalcoImX: 1:06pm On Jul 10, 2015
FreeGlobe:

He's enjoying immunity... undecided
Call for the abrogation of the immunity clause.
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by FreeGlobe(f): 1:12pm On Jul 10, 2015
phelps007:

You people should stop disgracing yourselves openly with all the education you claim to have.

If you personally have any evidence of corruption against anyone, you have the right to tender such before EFCC and stop ranting publicly like an illiterate up and down.

Where were you when Buhari and Osinbajo declared there asset? Or are you expecting them to declare that publicly or to you in your house? Sorry, the Nigerian law does not compel any public officer to declare his or her asset publicly but to the Code of conduct bureau.

Do some more reading and listen to reliable news on TV not beer parlour gists.

Save yourself this kind of embarrassment next time....
look at this one trying to educate.. buhari promised to declare his assets publicly during the campaigns or are you implying he changed his mind? The EFCC's mandate is to fish out corrupt people, It is not me job to report it to them. Allegations of corruptions against these individuals are already in the public domain. It is a duty of the EFCC to invite them for questioning... stop trying to be clever by half
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by OkutaNla: 1:13pm On Jul 10, 2015
FreeGlobe:

Lol. EFCC don already arraign Tinubu once and he was eventually acquitted and found innocent of the charges brought against him. But if you have any other strong enough or "smoking gun" evidence against him your can petition them again naw,abi? Oya, get to work. cheesy
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by FreeGlobe(f): 1:17pm On Jul 10, 2015
OkutaNla:

Lol. EFCC don already arraign Tinubu once and he was eventually acquitted and found innocent of the charges brought against him. But if you have any other strong enough or "smoking gun" evidence against him your can petition them again naw,abi? Oya, get to work. cheesy
EFCC has never arraigned Tinubu. They should do it now
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by OkutaNla: 1:25pm On Jul 10, 2015
FreeGlobe:

My bad, that was the Conducts tribunal. He was charged for "operating 16 foreign bank accounts outside the shores of the country between 1999 and 2007 while he was governor of Lagos State."

All charges were quashed.

If you have evidence against him, get to work and petition the EFCC or STFU!

Conduct Tribunal Quashes Charges against Tinubu

The Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) Wednesday quashed charges of maintaining foreign bank accounts against former governor of Lagos State, Ashiwaju Bola Tinubu.

The three-count charge brought against the former governor by the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) was quashed for want of merits, as the tribunal held that there was no basis to continue with the trial.

Tinubu was accused of operating 16 foreign bank accounts outside the shores of the country between 1999 and 2007 while he was governor of Lagos State.

Delivering his ruling, which lasted for about an hour, the Chairman of the Tribunal, Justice Umar Yakubu, held that the prosecution did not produce affidavit of evidence to buttress its accusations as the evidence before the court bordered on accusations in the initial charge.

According to him, once an amendment charge is presented before the court, it is conceived as a fresh charge and the previous charge stands dismissed.

The tribunal also held that CCB failed to show how Tinubu operated the said foreign accounts, as names traced to the accounts were not his but those of his close relatives, but the prosecution did not state that Tinubu committed the alleged offence through his agent or allies.

“No prima facie case has been established against accused applicant. The prosecution failed to file affidavit evidence in support of the count-amended charges. The tribunal has no jurisdiction to proceed. The charges are hereby quashed and the accused person discharged,” he said.

The tribunal also held that CCB did not follow due process in amending charges against the accused.

It held that CCB ought to have submitted reports of its investigation to the tribunal before adding the charges.

He said: “Judgment cannot be done by ambush.”

Ruling on the five grounds raised in objection by the accused applicant for quashing the charges, the tribunal resolved three grounds against Tinubu and two in his favour.

Counsel to the accused, led by Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN), had argued that the charges, as currently constituted, were nebulous and empty, as they did not disclose any prima facie case against the accused person.

The accused applicant also argued that CCB breached the condition precedent principle when it refused to invite Tinubu to its office to hear from him before preferring charges against him.

He also raised an objection that the trial was an abuse of court processes as a similar case with same subject matter initiated against the accused person was still subsisting at the Court of Appeal.

He argued further that the court lacked the territorial jurisdiction to hear the case in Abuja, saying the appropriate venue should be Lagos where the alleged offence was committed.

He urged the tribunal to decline its jurisdiction to proceed with the matter and to quash all the three-count charge against Tinubu.

On the first issue as to whether the tribunal has jurisdiction to entertain the charge, the chairman maintained that the Act establishing the tribunal empowers it to entertain and rule over such charges, thereby resolving the issue against Tinubu.

“I am not persuaded by the argument,” the tribunal chairman said.

On the second issue that CCB did not invite Tinubu before the trial, the tribunal resolved in favour of the accused applicant, as he stated that the Bureau did not produce evidence that it invited the accused over complains about his asset declaration.

He said the invitation was a condition of precedent before filling charges against an accused person by the Bureau.

The tribunal ruled that CCB breached the law by not giving prior invitation to the accused.

Ruling on the third ground, the tribunal resolved against the accused applicant as it said that the matter at the appellate court bordered on his immunity as the then governor of Lagos State and could not be seen as the case was abandoned and it was not an abuse of court process.

On the fourth issue relating to territorial jurisdiction of the tribunal, it resolved against the accused applicant as it held that it had no territorial limitation as far as the country was concerned.

“This is a tribunal and the jurisdiction is nationwide; it is just like saying the jurisdiction of the National Judicial Council (NJC) is only within Abuja and that it has no right to entertain issues bordering on Nigerian judges outside Abuja,” the tribunal held.

However, the fifth ground, which the accused applicant challenged with regards to the continuity of the trial on the grounds of non-availability of evidence of charge, was resolved in Tinubu’s favour.

The tribunal held that the evidence of charge before it is as regards the one count charge against the accused before it was amended, as it could not be used as evidence in the amended charge.

“Whenever a charge is amended, the new charge is constituent,” the tribunal held.

The tribunal chairman lauded Tinubu for making himself available throughout the trial, as he said it was not mandatory for the accused challenging jurisdiction of the court to appear before it.

Meanwhile, counsel to CCB disagreed with the ruling of the tribunal, as he said his team would study the judgment and possibly go on appeal.

Tinubu, who was accompanied by Governors Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, Osun State Governor Rauf Aregbesola, Ogun State Governor Ibikunle Amosun, and a host of his political allies, almost turned the tribunal into a carnival.

Reacting to the ruling, Tinubu said: “I thank God for today (yesterday) and for this judgment in my favour. Today’s verdict shows there is still hope for this country. That the judiciary can still dispense justice with judges on the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT). They are courageous judges who dispensed justice without fear or favour.

“I thank my legal team, led by the indefatigable Wole Olanipekun (SAN), for their brilliant work. I am happy this has come to an end. The attempt to rubbish my name based on unsubstantiated charges, as I said, would fail. After my time in political office, I should enjoy my rights of going into personal business.”

Also speaking, Osun State Governor Aregbesola commended CCT for being courageous in arriving at a just decision to strike out the vexatious charges.

Aregbesola lauded the judges for carrying out critical evaluation of all issues canvassed before the tribunal by both the complainant and the defendant.

His Ekiti State counterpart, Dr Kayode Fayemi, said the charges against Tinubu constituted an abuse of court process judging by the manner the prosecution withdrew it and filed an amended charge. This, he said, robbed the tribunal of jurisdiction.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/conduct-tribunal-quashes-charges-against-tinubu/104033/

Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by OkutaNla: 1:27pm On Jul 10, 2015
FreeGlobe:

I think you, as an ardent GEJ supporter, should be ashamed that even under his (GEJ) tenure the EFCC couldn't find grounds to arraign Tinubu on corruption charges. I'm sure GEJ's admin, if they were so sure that they have a case (considering their hatred for the man) shoulda been able to charge and prosecute him. That you are now expecting Buhari, his Political ally, to do your dirty job is foolhardy at best -- considering the vicious attacks he and Tinubu suffered in the hands of the PDP during the campaign. Admit it, you all have nothing but innuendos and rumors as evidence against the man, if otherwise then petition the EFCC or STFU.
Re: Buhari Must Begin His Anti Corruption War With Tinubu, Amaechi - Opinion by FreeGlobe(f): 1:30pm On Jul 10, 2015
OkutaNla:

I think you, as a GEJ supporter should be ashamed that even under his tenure the EFCC couldn't find grounds to arraign Tinubu. I'm sure GEJ's admin, if they were so sure that they have a case (considering their hatred for him) shoulda been able to prosecute him. That you are now expecting Buhari his Political ally to do that job is foolhardy at best.
please we are no more discussing GEJ. We are now trying to embrace change. EFCC should do their job or perhaps Buhari should mandate them to not be partisan.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If Presidential Election Is To Be Re-conducted Today Will You Still Vote PMB? / This Guy Just Won 9million On Surebet274 / Kogi Elections==James Faleke's Supporters To Sue Apc /Inec

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.