Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,592 members, 7,861,822 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 08:16 PM

The Confederate Flag And Nigeria's Indifference To Her Controversial Issues - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Confederate Flag And Nigeria's Indifference To Her Controversial Issues (754 Views)

Isreali Jewish Flag And Biafran Flag Flying Full Mast At Nnamdi Kanu's Compound / 7 Controversial Issues That Nailed Magu In DSS Report / US Finally Removes The Confederate Flag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Confederate Flag And Nigeria's Indifference To Her Controversial Issues by x9ja1960: 10:12am On Jul 11, 2015
Yesterday, the Confederate flag's half-century at South Carolina Capitol ended as hundreds cheered and sang farewell songs, watching uniformed highway patrol officers lower the flag from a pole.

For those who don't know, the Confederate flag has been a subject of deep rooted controversy. South Carolina's leaders first flew the battle flag over the Statehouse dome in 1961 to mark the 100th anniversary of the American Civil War. It remained there to represent official opposition to the civil rights movement. But for years, African-Americans and others demanded the flag come down, saying it is a racist symbol that represents a war to uphold slavery and, later, a battle to oppose civil rights advances.

Mass protests against the flag decades later led to a compromise in 2000 with lawmakers who insisted that it symbolized Southern heritage and states' rights. They agreed then to move it to a 30-foot pole next to a Confederate monument.

But debate renewed last month after a white gunman, 21-year-old Dylann Roof, killed nine African-American worshipers in Emanuel AME, a historic Charleston church. After the massacre, photos quickly surfaced of Roof holding the Confederate battle flag, which he apparently revered as a symbol of white supremacy.The racially motivated attack triggered a national wave of sympathy and outrage, and it renewed calls to have the battle flag removed. And yesterday, the before thought impossible was achieved - the flag was relegated to the state's relic room because, as Gov. Nikki Haley put it, the long-celebrated symbol is too painful and divisive to keep promoting.

Compare this with our Nigerian situation and you marvel at the miracle of us still managing to remain together as a country, with all the issues begging for attention. Almost every section and tribe -major or minor, in this country, have one injustice or controversy against the Nigerian state. And in the past as it is today, individuals have taken advantage of this imbalance to act against the state. How the collective governments have managed to remain indifferent to these abnormalities beat my imagination. It is as though they are trying to wish them away but this is pure ignorance as issues will never disappear, if we don't man up and deal with them regardless how bitter they may be.

In the words of Uthman Dan Fodio - 'Conscience is an open wound only truth can heal it'. A stitch in time, they say, saves nine. Lets act before Nigeria as we now know it falls apart.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Confederate Flag And Nigeria's Indifference To Her Controversial Issues by Mogidi: 10:20am On Jul 11, 2015
The Confederate Flag is not our problem, our problem is the ISIS flag flying all over the north.
Re: The Confederate Flag And Nigeria's Indifference To Her Controversial Issues by letsbet(m): 11:11am On Jul 11, 2015
I am a lier if i told you i understand what the confederate flag have in common with Nigeria or how bringing down the flag serves as any example to Nigeria or its Government.
Re: The Confederate Flag And Nigeria's Indifference To Her Controversial Issues by StOla: 11:13am On Jul 11, 2015
The fall of the confederate flag is the making of a more perfect union.

1 Like

Re: The Confederate Flag And Nigeria's Indifference To Her Controversial Issues by x9ja1960: 12:00pm On Jul 11, 2015
letsbet:
I am a lier if i told you i understand what the confederate flag have in common with Nigeria or how bringing down the flag serves as any example to Nigeria or its Government.

The flag and it's removal connects with Nigeria in a number of ways. For starters, It's about listening to the legitimate agitations of your fellow countrymen. It's about making a more perfect Union. It's about showing or even attempting to show seriousness and responsibility to solve the complaints of every citizen or group of citizens. This is what makes a country, what builds patriotism...knowing that your country will take care of you.

The best example will be yourself Sir. Ask yourself Sir, what complaint do I have against my country...your tribe inclusive, that have lingered but has never been given the attention it deserves by our government.

Look how Obama posted his opinion - he summarized this occassion as ''a signal of good will and healing, and a meaningful step towards a better future''.
Re: The Confederate Flag And Nigeria's Indifference To Her Controversial Issues by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 11, 2015
Their flag their problem >sad
Re: The Confederate Flag And Nigeria's Indifference To Her Controversial Issues by shotster50(m): 12:45pm On Jul 11, 2015
I amreally scratching my head trying to tie the link between the Confederate flag and Nigeria... What am I missing here ? angry undecided

(1) (Reply)

Atiku, Tinubu Battle For APC Bot Chair / Subsidy Does Not Benefit The South East, Nwuche Tells Buhari / But Where Does Boko Haram Got Their Weapons?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.