Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,287 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable (660 Views)

Buhari's Questionable Deal With Qatar - Olusegun Adeniyi / Senate ready for 50% pay cut / Senators Reject Pay Cut Recommendation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable by Tomjazzy2: 10:33am On Jul 11, 2015
Let me first of all quickly commend the President and his Vice, for their benevolent gesture, by taking a step forward towards cutting down on the heavy cost of governance in the country. This he did by way of slashing his remuneration by 50%, with his Vice doing same.

Having said that, I must draw our attention to the fact the much debated topic on the need to cut down on the cost of governance in this country, particularly as it concerns the huge amount of money payable to the various political office holders, from the federal level, down to the local government level, isn't anchored on mere salary. It is no news that the major concern has been on the various bonuses which these political office holders receive on a monthly basis. The chief among these bonuses, particularly as it affects the office of the President, is the security votes, other wise known as "free money".

When roughly calculated, the amount accruable to the President alone annually by way of security votes, is more than his annual salary which he just "graciously" slashed.

In summary, what I am saying is that if the President is indeed sincere in his crusade to cut down on the cost of governance, he should be bold enough and "cut the tree from the base", rather than merely "trimming down its branches".

N/B: for those Political e-thugs who have regrettably lost any sense of objectivity, and would quickly want to drag this observation into the arena of partisanship, by way of name calling or praise singing, kindly read through my previous posts on NL and you will discover with ease that I am not the type that will stoop that low, and join issues with any one on such grounds.

Cc: Lalasticlala, this should grace the front page, Nigerians needs to be informed
Re: President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable by onosprince(m): 10:33am On Jul 11, 2015
Re: President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 11, 2015
Re: President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable by Emekamex(m): 10:37am On Jul 11, 2015
Politicians deceiving Nigerians since 1960.
Re: President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable by KOLZY(m): 10:38am On Jul 11, 2015
Re: President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable by Cutehector(m): 10:39am On Jul 11, 2015
Op, I must say its a good thing..... There is nothing questionable abt it... Nigerians aren't just satisfied with anythn wether good or bad and dat is our problem...
Re: President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable by Tomjazzy2: 10:41am On Jul 11, 2015
Cutehector:
Op, I must say its a good thing..... There is nothing questionable abt it... Nigerians aren't just satisfied with anythn wether good or bad and dat is our problem...
didn't say it isn't good. Just saying he merely scratched the surface by his gesture
Re: President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable by Cutehector(m): 10:46am On Jul 11, 2015
Tomjazzy2:
didn't say it isn't good. Just saying he merely scratched the surface by his gesture
well, he can't just change d whole system in a day... Small small we will get there... Our foreign reserves hav significantly increased due to tightening of loopholes in d economy.. This feat bein recorded only in d buhari led government.. I believe in better days to come
Re: President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable by seanblaise(m): 10:46am On Jul 11, 2015
For the president to slash his salary is no big deal....other benefits of the office of the C-in-C can easily recoup the said slash in his salary...That said, we have other issues that need urgent attention rather than trivial issues such as this.
Re: President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable by Tomjazzy2: 11:02am On Jul 11, 2015
seanblaise:
For the president to slash his salary is no big deal....other benefits of the office of the C-in-C can easily recoup the said slash in his salary...That said, we have other issues that need urgent attention rather than trivial issues such as this.

You are very mistaken if you call this trivial. Part of the urgent issues you are referring to is the deteriorating economic condition we are battling with. This though primarily caused by our mono economy, is not unconnected to our extravagant recurrent expenditure.
Re: President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable by seanblaise(m): 9:27pm On Jul 12, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

You are very mistaken if you call this trivial. Part of the urgent issues you are referring to is the deteriorating economic condition we are battling with. This though primarily caused by our mono economy, is not unconnected to our extravagant recurrent expenditure.
The president's monthly salary asides other benefits of the office is about 1.7m. His annual take home pay asides other monies which are benefits of the office of the C-in-C is about 14m....A 50% slash in hs annual salary leaves him with about 7m...other allowances of the president can easily Zero the amount "lost" in his 50% slash...shey yhu get?.
Re: President's Pay Cut: Good But Questionable by Tomjazzy2: 10:57pm On Jul 12, 2015
seanblaise:

The president's monthly salary asides other benefits of the office is about 1.7m. His annual take home pay asides other monies which are benefits of the office of the C-in-C is about 14m....A 50% slash in hs annual salary leaves him with about 7m...other allowances of the president can easily Zero the amount "lost" in his 50% slash...shey yhu get?.
I am not sure I understood you sir

(1) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala Used $1bn Govt. Money For Jonathan’s Re-election — Oshiomhole / Read What Hillary Clinton Thinks Is “pretty Second Class” For Women / What Tolu Ogunlesi " New SA New Media Posted On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.