Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,913 members, 7,814,082 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Why Buhari Must Succeed.....a Must Read. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari Must Succeed.....a Must Read. (548 Views)

Why Paseda Must Succeed Amosun In 2019 / Nigeria Masses Must protest against PDP. Buhari Anti-Corruption war must succeed / Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Buhari Must Succeed.....a Must Read. by histemple: 4:21pm On Jul 11, 2015
During the Nigerian 2015 general electioneering campaign, Nigerians were promised all the wonderful things that would transform the nation to a paradise if and when implemented by a possible APC led government. While this manifesto worked effectively and endeared Buhari to millions of Nigerians both at home and in the diaspora, some were still suspiciously skeptical about the sincerity of purpose. Some even registered strong repulsion on the person of Buhari based on his antecedents as a former head of state.

While the PDP aired documentaries to portray the person of Buhari as an evil to avoid, the APC convinced Nigerians that the fierce campaign of calumny was mendacious, jejune, infantile and a diversionary measure to shift the attention of Nigerians from pertinent issues and the genuine intentions of the party towards solving our obvious problems.
From his antecedents, to forgery, to health status, to senility and even perjury, the person of Buhari was severely attacked. Clearly, not all Nigerians believed either party verbatim and it reflected in the shared votes as the margin wasn't much.

However, the election was widely adjudged as transparently free and fair despite little observed irregularities in some quarters and Buhari became Nigeria's president. Thanks to the Prof. Attahiru Jega led INEC. For a smooth and hitch free transition, former president Jonathan was widely celebrated as a hero.

Following Buhari's reluctance in forming his cabinet, many concerned Nigerians perceived his inactions as an indication of a confused mind. Even a Lagos based lawyer sought a court injunction to declare him incompetent. More so, Buhari's deafening silence on his party's position on the choice of principal officers of the national assembly and his perceived selective favoritism in his few appointments, was seen as mischievously precluding and decimating other regions.

But in all of these issues, I have followed the Buhari's administration keenly and I think he isn't bothered by these criticisms. I think that alone is commendable. More so, Buhari seem to be focused on delivering his promises to the people as he strives to minimize corruption and cost of governance. Recently Buhari rejected a proposal to buy new cars for his use and insisted that he will make due with the existing presidential fleet used by his predecessor. That again is unprecedented in the history of our nascent democracy. As an example, other government officials have started accepting a whooping 50% pay cut in order to fix the Nigerian state.

As it stands, the only partially justifiable aggression is his delay in appointing ministers. But thinking deeply, we are not suffering the absence of ministers as most of them were or will be just figure heads. In almost all ministries and agencies, the permanent Secretaries have better useful understanding as they have been there for ages than a minister who often times is a novice to the activities of the ministry as a mere political appointee. Although some are sound.

Another area is the selective favoritism for the North. In my opinion, the average Nigerian is more interested in how his/her life is improved by the activities and policies of the government than who occupies which position. Aside some unfounded primordial sentiments, the representation of some regions by some politicians has brought more suffering to them and the politicians don't seem to care about their plight.

I was never a Buhari supporter and couldn't have voted for him at the time. Just like most informed Nigerians, my expectations is not entirely based on Buhari's campaign promises as a few of them are unreliastic and no politician anywhere in the world has delivered his/her campaign promises 100% but I think Buhari has shown that when sincerely supported, we will have a better Nigeria.
This represents my opinion and mine only just as your objective views, constructive criticism and opinion is highly welcomed.

Written by histemple. A Public Affairs Analyst.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Must Succeed.....a Must Read. by ibrams(m): 4:23pm On Jul 11, 2015
Re: Why Buhari Must Succeed.....a Must Read. by duwdu: 1:10pm On Sep 11, 2015
histemple:
During the Nigerian 2015 general electioneering campaign, Nigerians were promised all the wonderful things that would transform the nation to a paradise if and when implemented by a possible APC led government. While this manifesto worked effectively and endeared Buhari to millions of Nigerians both at home and in the diaspora, some were still suspiciously skeptical about the sincerity of purpose. Some even registered strong repulsion on the person of Buhari based on his antecedents as a former head of state.

While the PDP aired documentaries to portray the person of Buhari as an evil to avoid, the APC convinced Nigerians that the fierce campaign of calumny was mendacious, jejune, infantile and a diversionary measure to shift the attention of Nigerians from pertinent issues and the genuine intentions of the party towards solving our obvious problems.
From his antecedents, to forgery, to health status, to senility and even perjury, the person of Buhari was severely attacked. Clearly, not all Nigerians believed either party verbatim and it reflected in the shared votes as the margin wasn't much.

However, the election was widely adjudged as transparently free and fair despite little observed irregularities in some quarters and Buhari became Nigeria's president. Thanks to the Prof. Attahiru Jega led INEC. For a smooth and hitch free transition, former president Jonathan was widely celebrated as a hero.

Following Buhari's reluctance in forming his cabinet, many concerned Nigerians perceived his inactions as an indication of a confused mind. Even a Lagos based lawyer sought a court injunction to declare him incompetent. More so, Buhari's deafening silence on his party's position on the choice of principal officers of the national assembly and his perceived selective favoritism in his few appointments, was seen as mischievously precluding and decimating other regions.

But in all of these issues, I have followed the Buhari's administration keenly and I think he isn't bothered by these criticisms. I think that alone is commendable. More so, Buhari seem to be focused on delivering his promises to the people as he strives to minimize corruption and cost of governance. Recently Buhari rejected a proposal to buy new cars for his use and insisted that he will make due with the existing presidential fleet used by his predecessor. That again is unprecedented in the history of our nascent democracy. As an example, other government officials have started accepting a whooping 50% pay cut in order to fix the Nigerian state.

As it stands, the only partially justifiable aggression is his delay in appointing ministers. But thinking deeply, we are not suffering the absence of ministers as most of them were or will be just figure heads. In almost all ministries and agencies, the permanent Secretaries have better useful understanding as they have been there for ages than a minister who often times is a novice to the activities of the ministry as a mere political appointee. Although some are sound.

Another area is the selective favoritism for the North. In my opinion, the average Nigerian is more interested in how his/her life is improved by the activities and policies of the government than who occupies which position. Aside some unfounded primordial sentiments, the representation of some regions by some politicians has brought more suffering to them and the politicians don't seem to care about their plight.

I was never a Buhari supporter and couldn't have voted for him at the time. Just like most informed Nigerians, my expectations is not entirely based on Buhari's campaign promises as a few of them are unreliastic and no politician anywhere in the world has delivered his/her campaign promises 100% but I think Buhari has shown that when sincerely supported, we will have a better Nigeria.
This represents my opinion and mine only just as your objective views, constructive criticism and opinion is highly welcomed.

Written by histemple. A Public Affairs Analyst.

The above quoted message, posted on/since July 11, did not have a single response, talk less of one that's worthwhile. That, to my mind, says quite a lot about the quality of the typical responder to posts on the forum. Hmm.

And that's a shame, because the OP (original post) makes a lot of sense, and provides some food for thought.

[BTW, I missed the original post at the time. I just happened to have seen it now, in the course of my checking out the profile of the poster, following another post I had seen in another thread.]

All the best to the present administration. We certainly deserve to genuinely make progress as a nation state.

P34c3
Re: Why Buhari Must Succeed.....a Must Read. by tolexy007(m): 1:11pm On Sep 11, 2015
smiley

(1) (Reply)

What Is Your Rating Of Buhari's Performance / President Buhari Appoints Acting Service Chiefs, NSA / Buhari Pleads For Patience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.