Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,081 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) (31191 Views)

Hair Dresser In Lagos To Die By Hanging For Armed Robbery / Two Nigerians Arrested For Armed Robbery Near Ghana's Presidential Palace. Photo / Police In Benin Arrest 75-year-old Grandfather For Armed Robbery (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by dre11(m): 7:05am On Jul 14, 2015
The police in Lagos have arrested a man who deals in men’s wear, Akeem Ariyo, for allegedly robbing a shop on Ariyo Street, in the Balogun Market area of Lagos.

It was learnt that the 35-year-old suspect was arrested along with his wife, Mosunmola, on July 14, 2015, but the wife was freed the following day.

The police alleged that Ariyo and others at large burgled the shop owned by one Kudirat Akinyede, said to be the wife of a police officer, between 10pm of June 9 and 6am of June 7, carting away gold jewellery and cash sum, all estimated at N11.6m.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the security guards attached to the market were also apprehended in connection with the crime, but were later released after they were interrogated.

The police said the suspect confessed to the crime after he was transferred to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad in Ikeja. But Mosunmola, quoted her husband as saying that he did so under duress.

“Officers at SARS said he had confessed. But when I asked him, he said he had suffered a lot; there are bruises all over his body,” she added.

Mosunmola told our correspondent that the suspect had visited his parents, who live near the burgled shop, and was bathing on the premises in the midnight when he saw some men in black dresses. He reportedly ran inside, leaving his phone on a bench.

It was learnt that policemen attached to the Lion Building Police Division, later called Mosunmola with her husband’s phone, and traced them to their residence in Ikorodu.

She said the police ransacked their house and took her jewellery box to the station, where Akinyede was asked to identify whether they were hers.

She said, “On June 14, somebody called me that he found my husband’s phone. I gave the caller our address to bring it. Suddenly, a team of policemen stormed our house. They searched our house and took us to the station.

“At the station, my gold trinket was shown to the woman, but she could not find her own there. They later returned the box to me.”

Also, a resident, Rasheed Smith, said he, Ariyo and other friends had parted around 11pm on June 9, adding that he had made a statement at the police station in respect of the incident.

He said, “Akeem (Ariyo) had come to visit his parents on the fateful day. He, his sibling and I were outside chatting that day until around 11pm when we left for our respective houses. In the morning, he told me what he saw while he was bathing, adding that he could not find his phone.

“I was surprised when I learnt he was arrested for robbery. I was invited to the police station and I made a statement. I think the police need to do a thorough investigation because the woman’s shop was looted again a week after the first incident.”

However, the police arraigned Ariyo before an Ikeja Magistrate’s Court on two counts bordering on armed robbery.

The charges read, “That you, Akeem Ariyo, and others still at large, between 10pm and 6am of June 9 and 10, on Ariyo Street, in the Lagos Magisterial District, did conspire to commit felony to wit; armed robbery.

“That you, and others now at large, on the same date, time and place, in the aforementioned magisterial district, while armed with guns, did steal gold jewellery valued at N8m, cash sum of N3m and a sum of $3,000 ─ all valued at N11.6m ─ property of one Kudirat Akinyede, and thereby committed an offence punishable under Section (1) (2) (a) (b) of the Robbery and Firearm Act, Cap 398, Law of the Federation of Nigeria, 1990, as amended.”

The defendant’s plea was not taken by the presiding magistrate, Mrs. O. Sule-Amzat, who ordered that the case file be sent to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions for legal advice.

While adjourning the case till September 29, 2015, the magistrate remanded Ariyo in prison pending the outcome of the DPP’s advice.

http://www.punchng.com/metro-plus/police-arrest-trader-wife-for-armed-robbery/

cc lalasticlala

Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by Ridwanna(m): 7:07am On Jul 14, 2015
A whole family

Nawao ooo

Be careful downstairs

Hmmmm
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by Nobody: 7:08am On Jul 14, 2015
shocked
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by bewla(m): 7:08am On Jul 14, 2015
family business
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by keandre: 7:09am On Jul 14, 2015
the baby too
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 14, 2015
and someone will be wondering what their children will be

kidnappers or suicide bombers
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by kossyablaze(m): 7:22am On Jul 14, 2015
Hausas......Lazy and Murder
Igbos.........Fraudster and Drug pusher
Yorubas....Money rituals,steal and Rape

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 14, 2015
Kk
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by Mintek: 8:17am On Jul 14, 2015
Akeem Ariyo robs a shop on Ariyo Street.
Funny!

4 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by freesinzu(m): 8:17am On Jul 14, 2015
J
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by carzola(m): 8:18am On Jul 14, 2015
A case of forced confession, we all know...

17 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by boboLIL(m): 8:18am On Jul 14, 2015
The man n0 try 0h.....family man smh
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by laurel03(m): 8:19am On Jul 14, 2015
9ja police
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by Segadem(m): 8:20am On Jul 14, 2015
Nigeria journalism ,the couple were arrested July 14 2015 and the wife was released a day after which is to be tomorrow .
Are they using Pluto calendar?

9 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by freesinzu(m): 8:20am On Jul 14, 2015
Taylor86:
and someone will be wondering what their children will be

kidnappers or suicide bombers

Read before quoting angry

7 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by ojemglo(m): 8:20am On Jul 14, 2015
family company
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by Drgleave: 8:21am On Jul 14, 2015
Ewww, how come he is bathing on the streets in midnight? Don't his parents have a bathroom or a backyard? Why would he run away leaving his phone, were the men in black after him? Even what is he visiting his parents for, is it Xmas yet? My lord the above mentioned suspect is guilty as charged.... Except if he is telling the truth.
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by kenedy175(m): 8:21am On Jul 14, 2015
freesinzu:
J
boboLIL:
J

At una age! hehehe
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by Pavore9: 8:22am On Jul 14, 2015
Husband and wife!
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by Bsc(m): 8:22am On Jul 14, 2015
Inoo nkpo, ndi oshi
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by fineyemi(m): 8:22am On Jul 14, 2015
Nawa oooooo!!!! Take a luk at dis site. The fast growing educational site: www.Guru9ja.com
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by freesinzu(m): 8:22am On Jul 14, 2015
Dis guy is suffering for an unknown cause,
Chai deris god o

3 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by dhamstar(m): 8:23am On Jul 14, 2015
Ok
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by Mintek: 8:23am On Jul 14, 2015
freesinzu:
J

boboLIL:
J

keylo:
Kk

Caught in the act. Change your ways now!
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by UnknownT: 8:23am On Jul 14, 2015
SARS?!! Forget it! They probably tortured him to confess. Bunch of heartless men angry

12 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by scantee(m): 8:23am On Jul 14, 2015
Ndi obodo a ozokwa ? Huh
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by wellmax(m): 8:23am On Jul 14, 2015
Armed robbery family
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by keyobi: 8:24am On Jul 14, 2015
Arrested on July 14th 2015 and freed the following day. undecided
smh at where journalism is heading to in naija.
Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by Swagk101(m): 8:24am On Jul 14, 2015
keyobi:
Arrested on July 14th 2015 and freed the following day. undecided
smh at where journalism is heading to in naija.
I wonder ooo
UnknownT:
SARS?!! Forget it! They probably tortured him to confess. Bunch of heartless men angry
Exactly what I'm thinking
Fernandowski:
Yoruba kwenu!!!!
Stop being a tribalistic mongrel tongue

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest Trader, Wife For Armed Robbery (Pictured) by OYINBOGOJU(m): 8:24am On Jul 14, 2015
Injustice Everywhere

Let Mr Ariyo get a good lawyer and fight the case.

After winning, he should sue the police, sue the victim (shop owner) and claim damages worth over 100 000 000 Million Naira.

Forcefull confession under duress and threat.

Sycological trauma for family and children.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Girl Arranges Own Kidnap With Boyfriend (photo) / Woman Wrestles Armed Robber In Delta / Lesser Hajj: NDLEA Arrests Saudi-bound Widower, Divorcee At Lagos Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.