Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,835,005 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career (9394 Views)

Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job / Should I Quit My Job And Be Self-employed? / Choosing Between Acca And Ican (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 14, 2015
Blackchampion:
Ur salary wud be slashed in Ibadan? And why?
Well, 4 me ur decision should lie on whether ur MBA Course is line with ur current job, as dat will be a boost 4u in d future 2geda wit ur experience. And if otherwise, getting a job in Nigeria now is not easy let alone quitting d 1 u hv.
BTW u nid to tell us ur current salary range to enable us understand ur situation. #my2cent
I earn 77k at the moment, but such won't be the case in ibadan cos the new outsourcing agency have made it known to us. we just hopeful the reduction wld be manageable.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by kenoz(m): 1:05pm On Jul 14, 2015
cry
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by alchemist(m): 1:06pm On Jul 14, 2015
You forgot to add that there are plenty of amala and gbegiri to eat

jcflex:
If not for the slash in salary, it will have been better for you to move to ibadan,

again if the reduction is still not much, i will still advise you to move to ibadan.

reason
1. Far less congestion on the road
2. you dnt have to wake up by 4 or 5 to start going to work
3. return back home on time
4. Tfare compare to Lag is drastically Low
5. Food item at Ibadan cheaper compare to Lag
6. House rent very cheap compare to lag, xcept you wnt to stay in Hibrow area of ib, like Oluyole estate, Challenge, Bodija estate, Akobo, Ring road, yet they are still avoidable compare to Lag.
7. You get Value for your money
8. Social life is on the increase in Ib now, so you virtually miss ntin xcept for beach alone. two Shoprite store, ventura Cinema, and many more.

My brother, you will spend far less in ib compare to lag.

for your education, you have nothing to loose,
UI PG form is out, you can go for it, if it not close yet, but am nt sure if it still on sale or not,
Again OAU Ife is jst 40Min drive from Ibadan,

and personally, i even prefer those sch to UNILAG,

OAU PG form is not out yet, kindly watch out for it,

with 70k Wages, for an average person, you will live like a KING in ibadan
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 14, 2015
Kelvin0:
U didn't outline if u had a choice in d decision of the coy to move u guys to Ibadan. If you have a say as to whether to move to Ibadan or not maybe u don't need an advise after all.

I believe u probably need d MBA to get a better job or a more juicy pay package, if d pay in Ibadan is substantial then u should move and forget about MBA for now

Relocating to ibadan is a choice we have to make when the company present its offer of employment.
What if the salary is 60k in ibd, wld u advice I take it and move to ibd, or reject it and pursue my proposed MBA program?
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by oyafemi(m): 1:09pm On Jul 14, 2015
rattlesnake:
It's like asking if u should sell your car to buy tyres. ...MbA people too are looking for jobs undecided
hmmmmmm...! That is a shocking one, see what our learders have caused
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by smudge2079(m): 1:12pm On Jul 14, 2015
am at that cross road too.... Been thinking out loud for weeks now.I just hope i make the ryt decision.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by kesprime(m): 1:32pm On Jul 14, 2015
My BEST advise for you is to do both....i.e; take the job, and run a flexible MBA program...the most flexible and affordable MBA program I can tell you of is that of -EDINBURGH BUsINESS School...it gives you the avenue of both working and studyn, besides you run the program at your own pace and take exams when you want... to get more info on their MBA program check - www.edcprofessionals.net Goodluck.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Blackchampion(m): 2:06pm On Jul 14, 2015
enyinna4:

I earn 77k at the moment, but such won't be the case in ibadan cos the new outsourcing agency have made it known to us. we just hopeful the reduction wld be manageable.
If the salary slash will not be more than 15 or 20%, i will advice u to continue with ur work, and try to see if u can do ur MBA in Ibadan, while still looking for better paid jobs too. #imo
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by AreaFada2: 2:11pm On Jul 14, 2015
If your pay in Ibadan will be up to 55 or 60K. Move there. There are many distance MBA studies now. Liverpool University is one. If you have to save money for a year first, do so. Your quality of life in Ibadan will be far better.

And what is wrong with UI MBA?
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Kelvin0(m): 2:21pm On Jul 14, 2015
enyinna4:

Relocating to ibadan is a choice we have to make when the company present its offer of employment.
What if the salary is 60k in ibd, wld u advice I take it and move to ibd, or reject it and pursue my proposed MBA program?

I'lld rather u choose the latter that is if u have a means of sponsoring urself or a job alternative
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by dotman10(m): 2:22pm On Jul 14, 2015
My greatest wish at this moment is to get a job of such in ibadan even at that pay slash u mentioned... The reason being that, ibadan is one of the best place to live talking in terms of living life economically. Whatever u re likely to want to stay in lag to do, u will do it much better, conveniently, happily and cheaply here in ibadan.

Am one of those that usually argues that I can't live anywhere else than Lagos, but this orientation changed totally with my service experience here. If it's because of ur MBA, University of Ibadan is right here for you and they are presently selling forms for masters at the moment.

Even if u re my enemy, I will advice u move to ibadanvwith your work and still take ur MBA here in UI....as for pay slash, abeg u will be happy eventually because it will be worth it considering the ridiculous cost of living here in IB.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 14, 2015
Dis guy hv say it all
jcflex:
If not for the slash in salary, it will have been better for you to move to ibadan,

again if the reduction is still not much, i will still advise you to move to ibadan.

reason
1. Far less congestion on the road
2. you dnt have to wake up by 4 or 5 to start going to work
3. return back home on time
4. Tfare compare to Lag is drastically Low
5. Food item at Ibadan cheaper compare to Lag
6. House rent very cheap compare to lag, xcept you wnt to stay in Hibrow area of ib, like Oluyole estate, Challenge, Bodija estate, Akobo, Ring road, yet they are still affordable compare to Lag.
7. You get Value for your money
8. Social life is on the increase in Ib now, so you virtually miss ntin xcept for beach alone. two Shoprite store, ventura Cinema, and many more.

My brother, you will spend far less in ib compare to lag.

for your education, you have nothing to loose,
UI PG form is out, you can go for it, if it not close yet, but am nt sure if it still on sale or not,
Again OAU Ife is jst 40Min drive from Ibadan,

and personally, i even prefer those sch to UNILAG,

OAU PG form is not out yet, kindly watch out for it,

with 70k Wages, for an average person, you will live like a KING in ibadan
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by kellyAB: 2:39pm On Jul 14, 2015
If you have another job in waiting, you can resign the call centre job and proceed with your MBA program in unilag, but if no job in waiting how are you going to survive without a job and also running MBA program? Like someone said earlier you can go to UI or OAU ibadan is stress free except you are not giving us the full jist I suspect you people chose between salary slash and transfer or face termination of appointment. Try and move to ibadan why you scout for other job please don't quit the job you have now if you don't have any waiting for you, I left a job in2010 just because someone brought a good proposal two month down the road the company folded up still out of job since 2010
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by brirold(m): 2:40pm On Jul 14, 2015
Ok..

Tired of asking pple around to take photos of you. Want to take group photos with no member excluded. Den u need a Monopod Selfie Stick..

Also,

Want to transfer files from between ur Smartphones/Tablets/Computers with ease (Plug and play, no cable required). Den u need OTG Flash Drive for Smartphones/Tablets/Computers

Also,
Working late at night on ur laptops and finding it difficult to see ur keyboard very well or need a quick reading lamp to use on ur power bank... Den u need 'Mini Light for laptops and powerbank'

For more information... Pls check my signature/profile.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 14, 2015
U.I also have MBA program. You can forget the Ibadan job,if you've a better prospect in Lagos.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by tjay0584(m): 2:47pm On Jul 14, 2015
Bros,firstly a job maketh a man,with d situation in Nigeria now u cant forfeit one job wen u neva get anoda.i guess if u can still stay with ur job or u can do both at same time though it wunt be easy.better still UI is der at ibadan.u can work der at ibadan n sch...lyk mysef here I also work n sch,now in my final..u can do it too..all d best in ur decision..
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Phlegmatic12(f): 2:54pm On Jul 14, 2015
Abeg make you no toy with ur job ooo,to me I fink it woud be better if u don't quit ur job and apply for ur MBA in u.i I think there are even part time classes
many graduates out there are still in search of job,what gives you the impression that work wud cum easy after your masters in dis present nigger.it's left to u oooo
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by whysquare4real(m): 2:59pm On Jul 14, 2015
I think u can run d work in Ibadan wit d sch in Lag. I knw a lady dat is working with a bank in Katsina state, running a PG program in ABU Zaria and also a degree program in Fed univ, katsina. So if a lady can do it, yes u can. She is now even married.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by bigiyaro(m): 3:23pm On Jul 14, 2015
if u want to be a customer care agent in career mode, as in if dat is wat u want to do for life, den move bt if nt den go for ur masters n profesionalize it will move you up above ur peers in ur chossen field.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by sweet2blv: 3:59pm On Jul 14, 2015
op: ur issue is nt a problem. i also fall into this category bt i have good colleagues at work to d point of travelin from lag to a city in d north fo my MBA. al u need to do is to relocate n talk to ur colqs sure yh on d path of greatness. d good news is dt, i got a job 5* my then wages b4 i even fnshd my progm. u can send me a pm
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Raheem2386: 3:59pm On Jul 14, 2015
You can go to National open uni, that is its purpose. Work and study simple.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by qsbabatunde: 7:25pm On Jul 14, 2015
Pls, i'm also in a situation close to that of the O. P and I need your advise:
I currently work as an intern (pre-nysc) in a firm of my chosen profession (Quantity Surveying)on a salary of 50k. After NYSC orientation, i was posted to UNIOSUN for my service in a related field as well. Now i'm at a crossroad on which to do. I'ld have love to relocate to osun due to the low cost of living but what becomes of me after NYSC is my fear. Pls, i need your advise. Thank you
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Niffylee15(m): 7:34pm On Jul 14, 2015
University of Ibadan PG form will be closing July 21, you can still get it.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by frank043(m): 7:59pm On Jul 14, 2015
Jaymima:
U.I is an equally good school. Except they dont offer your choice course of study, why dont you relocate and pursue your mba programme in Ibadan while still working? Maybe you have persons ready to sponsor you thru school. Remember... A Bird in Hand is worth two in the sky.

Hey Jaymima, U.I offers MBA, where did you get your info, Pls? Cool pix... wink
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by frank043(m): 8:00pm On Jul 14, 2015
Jaymima:
U.I is an equally good school. Except they dont offer your choice course of study, why dont you relocate and pursue your mba programme in Ibadan while still working? Maybe you have persons ready to sponsor you thru school. Remember... A Bird in Hand is worth two in the sky.

Hey Jaymima, U.I offers MBA, where did you get your info,pls? Cool pix... wink
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by ruksylaser(m): 8:06pm On Jul 14, 2015
a J-O-B Which leaves you just over broke every single month Living your life just for the weekend Living life just on the weekend Because the other five days belong to your manager You see there's a big difference between a job and a career Because in the career, no matter how many hours you work You do it because it's satisfactory But in a job you do it for a salary Because you're stuck in the rat race And you know being stuck in the rat race is one of the biggest of traps Because as a matter of fact, even if you win the rat race You're still just a rat. See I understand the need to have a job temporarily But pursue a career eventually. I understand more than anyone That job allows you to pay the bills, make ends meet, and survive But that's exactly what it is, surviving not living I hope you are aware of the difference It's like when you hear, but don't listen Because you can hear good advice, but if you don't heed it It does no benefit to your system The same way; only knowledge with application is wisdom I hope you're creating the distinction and do not take this as a reason to quit your job,
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Eddodoh(m): 8:21pm On Jul 14, 2015
enyinna4:

The minimum u can earn is 48k and dat is for confirmed agents. Since U already work wit MTN and have knowledge of their products & services, u may earn dis 48k.

As much as i know, 35K for agents on OJT, 40k for probation while 48k for confirmed.

I pray dat U make a wise decision.
Re: Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 15, 2015
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

Not All Bosses Are Horrible. See Why / Naf Commences Training Of 450 Special Forces / 7 Ways To Get Along Better With Your Coworkers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.