Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,255 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

12 Things You Love That Are Banned In The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 12 Things You Love That Are Banned In The Bible (3285 Views)

12 Things The Bible Forbids But We Still Do And Consider Normal / 12 Things Christians Should BEWARE Of / 7 Significant Numbers From The Bible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Things You Love That Are Banned In The Bible by Lovechyld101(m): 11:52am On Jul 16, 2015
1. All-You-Can-Eat Buffets:

“Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.” - Proverbs 23:20-21

The Bible forbids overeating, but now it’s a lot harder to eat right compared to Biblical times. Restaurants offer huge portions of delicious food, and all-you-can-eat buffets are the worst offenders. You want to get your money’s worth, so you’re going to pile your plate high and come back for seconds and thirds.
2. T-Shirts:

“Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.” – Leviticus 19:19

This Biblical rule doesn’t even make sense. Why is wearing two different materials such a bad thing? Fabric blends are used in most clothing items these days, and without weaving cotton and polyester together we wouldn’t have comfortable t-shirts that don’t shrink!
3. Comedians:

“Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.” - Ephesians 5:4

While the Bible doesn’t completely forbid humor, it makes it pretty hard to be funny. Almost anything you watch on Comedy Central or in a live stand-up act will break these rules. C’mon, what would the world be like without fart jokes?
4. Fashionistas:

“I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,” - 1 Timothy 2:9

Women in Biblical times weren’t really that different than modern women, but they were subjected to some really intense rules! The Bible basically banned them from wearing anything that might draw attention to themselves. The modern fashionista is now obsessed with the exact same things that were forbidden.
5. Gossip:

“Whoever slanders their neighbor in secret, I will put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, I will not tolerate.” - Psalm 101:5

It’s hard to watch TV or surf the Internet without running into some form of gossip. Whether it’s the latest celebrity “news” or your friends ranting about something on Facebook, there’s plenty of thing the Bible doesn’t want you to talk about. Just try to talk to your friends on the phone without gossiping about someone else and you’ll see how hard it is!
6. Sex:

“It is good for a man not to have intimate relations with a woman.” - 1 Corinthians 7:1

Basically the Bible doesn’t want you to have sex unless you’re married and it’s for the purpose of making a baby. And it’s not just sex, but anything even related to sex or even thinking naughty thoughts is against the rules. Good luck trying to follow them!
7. Popcorn Shrimp:

“But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to regard as unclean. And since you are to regard them as unclean, you must not eat their meat; you must regard their carcasses as unclean.” - Leviticus 11:10-11

Red Lobster and Joe’s Crab Shack would never exist if we followed the rules of the bible. All shellfish are regarded as unclean animals, so that means no crab legs, lobster tails, or popcorn shrimp. It’s pretty obvious why this rule has gone ignored.

**we shouldnt be eating crabs and lobsters then**
8. Cross-breeding:

“Keep my decrees. Do not mate different kinds of animals.” - Leviticus 19:19

Cross-breeding different species is extremely common these days, and it happens in nature all the time. The Bible prohibited mating different animals, but we’d never have dog breeds like the pitbull, or even the Liger ( bred btw Lion and tiger) etc!
9. Cheeseburgers:

“Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.” - Exodus 23:19

Okay, so the cheeseburger is not specifically banned by the bible, but the concept is basically the same. The Jews were instructed not to cook an animal in its mother’s milk, but we often eat cow meat covered in cheese… which comes from cows.
10. Tattoos:

“Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.” - Leviticus 19:28

Over the past 20 years or so, tattoos have gone from an outcast art form to a nealy mainstream hobby. It seems like almost everyone has a tattoo these days, which is big problem according to the bible! God himself forbid putting permanent marks on your skin, which makes tattoos of Jesus’ face hilariously ironic.
11. Football/ soccer:

“Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings.” - Leviticus 23:3

God must love football, because most Premier league games and NFL games are played on Saturday and Sunday and he hasn’t smote any players yet. According to the Bible, the Sabbath is supposed to be a day of rest and prayer, but most people know it as game day. In addition, american footballs were originally made out of pigskin, which is also banned.

**Hmm, that means the final World cup match between Germany and Argentina last Sunday shouldnt have held according to the bible**
12. Bacon:

“And the pig, though it has a divided hoof, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.” - Leviticus 11:7-8

Bacon is one of the tastiest things on the entire planet, but the Bible doesn’t want us to eat it — or any part of the pig for that matter. The pig is just one of many “unclean” animals that were forbidden to eat, but only for the strange reason that it eats normally. “Clean” animals like the cow regurgitate their food and eat it again.

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Love That Are Banned In The Bible by Phunmibi: 11:54am On Jul 16, 2015
[s]
Lovechyld101:
1. All-You-Can-Eat Buffets:
“Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.” - Proverbs 23:20-21
The Bible forbids overeating, but now it’s a lot harder to eat right compared to Biblical times. Restaurants offer huge portions of delicious food, and all-you-can-eat buffets are the worst offenders. You want to get your money’s worth, so you’re going to pile your plate high and come back for seconds and thirds.
2. T-Shirts:
“Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.” – Leviticus 19:19
This Biblical rule doesn’t even make sense. Why is wearing two different materials such a bad thing? Fabric blends are used in most clothing items these days, and without weaving cotton and polyester together we wouldn’t have comfortable t-shirts that don’t shrink!
3. Comedians:
“Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.” - Ephesians 5:4
While the Bible doesn’t completely forbid humor, it makes it pretty hard to be funny. Almost anything you watch on Comedy Central or in a live stand-up act will break these rules. C’mon, what would the world be like without fart jokes?
4. Fashionistas:
“I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,” - 1 Timothy 2:9
Women in Biblical times weren’t really that different than modern women, but they were subjected to some really intense rules! The Bible basically banned them from wearing anything that might draw attention to themselves. The modern fashionista is now obsessed with the exact same things that were forbidden.
5. Gossip:
“Whoever slanders their neighbor in secret, I will put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, I will not tolerate.” - Psalm 101:5
It’s hard to watch TV or surf the Internet without running into some form of gossip. Whether it’s the latest celebrity “news” or your friends ranting about something on Facebook, there’s plenty of thing the Bible doesn’t want you to talk about. Just try to talk to your friends on the phone without gossiping about someone else and you’ll see how hard it is!
6. Sex:
“It is good for a man not to have intimate relations with a woman.” - 1 Corinthians 7:1
Basically the Bible doesn’t want you to have sex unless you’re married and it’s for the purpose of making a baby. And it’s not just sex, but anything even related to sex or even thinking naughty thoughts is against the rules. Good luck trying to follow them!
7. Popcorn Shrimp:
“But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to regard as unclean. And since you are to regard them as unclean, you must not eat their meat; you must regard their carcasses as unclean.” - Leviticus 11:10-11
Red Lobster and Joe’s Crab Shack would never exist if we followed the rules of the bible. All shellfish are regarded as unclean animals, so that means no crab legs, lobster tails, or popcorn shrimp. It’s pretty obvious why this rule has gone ignored.
**we shouldnt be eating crabs and lobsters then**
8. Cross-breeding:
“Keep my decrees. Do not mate different kinds of animals.” - Leviticus 19:19
Cross-breeding different species is extremely common these days, and it happens in nature all the time. The Bible prohibited mating different animals, but we’d never have dog breeds like the pitbull, or even the Liger ( bred btw Lion and tiger) etc!
9. Cheeseburgers:
“Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.” - Exodus 23:19
Okay, so the cheeseburger is not specifically banned by the bible, but the concept is basically the same. The Jews were instructed not to cook an animal in its mother’s milk, but we often eat cow meat covered in cheese… which comes from cows.
10. Tattoos:
“Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.” - Leviticus 19:28
Over the past 20 years or so, tattoos have gone from an outcast art form to a nealy mainstream hobby. It seems like almost everyone has a tattoo these days, which is big problem according to the bible! God himself forbid putting permanent marks on your skin, which makes tattoos of Jesus’ face hilariously ironic.
11. Football/ soccer:
“Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings.” - Leviticus 23:3
God must love football, because most Premier league games and NFL games are played on Saturday and Sunday and he hasn’t smote any players yet. According to the Bible, the Sabbath is supposed to be a day of rest and prayer, but most people know it as game day. In addition, american footballs were originally made out of pigskin, which is also banned.
**Hmm, that means the final World cup match between Germany and Argentina last Sunday shouldnt have held according to the bible**
12. Bacon:
“And the pig, though it has a divided hoof, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.” - Leviticus 11:7-8
Bacon is one of the tastiest things on the entire planet, but the Bible doesn’t want us to eat it — or any part of the pig for that matter. The pig is just one of many “unclean” animals that were forbidden to eat, but only for the strange reason that it eats normally. “Clean” animals like the cow regurgitate their food and eat it again.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Love That Are Banned In The Bible by donholy28(m): 11:57am On Jul 16, 2015
Op is high!!! d weed u took is working badly and u go top am ogogoro join

1 Like

Re: 12 Things You Love That Are Banned In The Bible by Faremisodeeq(m): 12:45pm On Jul 16, 2015
Old testament things shaaa
Re: 12 Things You Love That Are Banned In The Bible by menesheh(m): 2:17pm On Jul 16, 2015
Faremisodeeq:
Old testament things shaaa

Are you quoting jesus wrong when he said in the new testament that he came to fullfil the old testament laws not abolish it?

Are you quoting god wrong when he said that he is he today and to eternity? Furthermore, that his laws and ordinances will serve you from now to eternity. If you suggest that those laws are for the jews, don't ever cherry pick any verse/s from the old testament to justify the existence of jesus or to substantiate anything.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things You Love That Are Banned In The Bible by Winna01(m): 5:43pm On Jul 16, 2015
nawa o
Re: 12 Things You Love That Are Banned In The Bible by mozele(m): 10:34pm On Feb 12, 2016
Lolz Op you've not actually read and studied your bible.

Too bad...
Re: 12 Things You Love That Are Banned In The Bible by lepasharon(f): 12:04am On Feb 13, 2016
mozele:
Lolz Op you've not actually read and studied your bible.

Too bad...

Why would God make a rule, then say it doesn't matter anymore?
Re: 12 Things You Love That Are Banned In The Bible by taurus25(m): 12:52am On Feb 13, 2016
lepasharon:

Why would God make a rule, then say it doesn't matter anymore?
one question christains continually ignore
Re: 12 Things You Love That Are Banned In The Bible by meixili: 3:27am On Feb 13, 2016
"Oh, this is an old testament law that we Christians don't have to follow...." I find that to be quite an interesting statement.

Jesus orders Christians to follow the Law of Moses in the Old Testament: "Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)" It is quite clear from these verses from the New Testament that Jesus peace be upon him did honor the Old Testament and did say that every single "letter" of it has to be honored, followed and fulfilled.

The verses of Matthew 23:1-3 "Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 'The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.' (Matthew 23:1-3)" We clearly see in these verses that Jesus peace be upon him did not prohibit for the Old Testament to be followed, but only warned his followers to not follow it the way the current religious leaders of the Law (the Jewish Rabies) were following it.

2- The laws, rules and directions on how to live your life:

Now, as for life's laws and issues, the Old Testament for instance prohibits a son from marrying his own mother, sister, or father's former wife. The Old Testament also orders those who commit adultery to be burnt in fire, and those who decide to desert their religion and follow another religion must get stoned to death (Deuteronomy 13:6-9, and Deuteronomy 17:3-5). Also the Old Testament orders Gays and Lesbians to be burnt in fire.

These laws were put by Jesus himself (assuming that Jesus is GOD himself as Christians believe). However, these laws do not exist in the New Testament. Does this mean that since these laws do not exist in the New Testament, then that would allow the son to marry his own mother? or the brother to marry his own sister? or a Gay person to become a minister or priest in a church? and if that would be ok, then wouldn't that all be a contradiction to what Jesus wants since he is the one who inspired the Old Testament?

The New Testament did have laws that modified the Old Testament's ones. I do not have a problem with those laws, and yes I do agree that Christians must not follow the laws of the Old Testament that were modified by the New Testament. What I am finding very confusing from the Christians is that they base their life all on the New Testament, and the New Testament does not have many laws in it. It hardly covers any hot topic or issue that we deal with in our life. For instance, the Old Testament has its own laws for inheritance, but the New Testament doesn't.

Now, if a father dies and leaves $1,000,000 to a family of 1 boy, 2 girls and a widow wife. According to the Old Testament, only the boy inherits all, and the two daughters and the widow wife must live under the son's laws and mercy according to (Numbers 27:1-11) in the Old Testament. This law was put by Jesus himself (since Jesus is GOD according to the Christians belief). My question is, since the New Testament does not even talk about the topic of inheritance, but the Old Testament does, then wouldn't it make more sense for Christians to follow the laws of the Old Testament, since both the New Testament and the Old Testament were inspired by Jesus himself?

It seems to me that the New Testament is not a religion, but rather a story of Jesus' life. Yes, I as a Muslim do love and respect Jesus (peace be upon him) a lot, because we Muslims believe that he is a Messenger from Allah Almighty. However, we do not believe that the current Bible is the true word of God. We believe that the Original Bible still exists today, but is lost. If you study the New Testament carefully, you would notice that Jesus' teachings only cover a column and a half of a news paper today. Jesus lived among his people for 33 years, and all we have from his personal sayings are a column and a half worth of words in a news paper!!!

If you look at the Western World today (which is mostly Christians), you would notice that their constitutions and way of life is not Biblical at all. They avoid Jesus' teachings in the Old Testament (since he is GOD himself and the author of the Old Testament), and they almost don't have any law that deals with life in the New Testament. My question in this case, what kind of standards does the Christian religion have? If Christians have to create their own laws to manage to survive life and its issues, then my friend, wouldn't that make Christianity a useless and irrational religion?

Its unfortunate and quite obvious that Christians today made their Bible a useless religion. They refuse to follow the Old Testament, which covers all of life's laws and issues, and they only stick to the New Testament, knowing that (1) the Old Testament was inspired by Jesus himself, and (2) both the Old Testament and the New Testament form what we called today "The Holy Bible". If the Old Testament must not count for Christians today and they must not follow it, then why is it part of their Holy Book? and why follow part of Jesus' teachings and not all of them, meaning, why follow the New Testament alone and not the Old Testament when Jesus himself is the author of both books?.

Important Note: When a Christian mother doesn't marry her son, does she not do that because the Old Testament prohibits it or because she just wouldn't do it? When a Christian brother doesn't marry his sister, does he not do it because the Old Testament prohibits it or because he just wouldn't do it? I think this is a very concerning issue today in the United States of America. Today we have Satanic (according to Islam's views) groups such as the Gays and Lesbians, He-Shes, and nude people swimming at the beaches. It would not surprise me if brothers and sisters start marrying each others here in the U.S., and still call themselves Christians. People in the U.S. and the West are becoming more and more corrupted with H.I.V and A.I.D.S diseases spreading rapidly among their societies.

Don't tell me "Any normal person wouldn't sleep with his sister", because 50 years ago, we used to say "Any normal person wouldn't sleep with his own gender", and today in California USA, CHRISTIAN men not only sleep with other CHRISTIAN men, but they also MARRY each others!. Same applies for women there. Check this out:

On Jerry Springer Show here in the US (one of the most popular shows that discuss social issues in the country), on Monday 6/11/2001, the show's title for that day was "I am sleeping with my son". From among the people that were brought on for that day, some sons and their mothers are even planning on having babies! The fathers were in great shock.

Where do you draw the boundaries for sinning? The NT lacks a great deal of teaching regarding these issues. Perhaps the writers of the NT saw no need to mention anything about these issues because they counted on the OT to do the job.

Something for all Christians and their Churches to think about.

My friend, I am not trying to criticize Christianity. All I am doing, is raising some very important and legitimate questions about Christianity and its laws.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Should Christian Women Wear Trousers? / Do People Really Steal Other Peoples 'stars'? / When God Leads You To The Edge Of A Cliff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.