Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,751 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Seven Practical Steps To Polish And Make Your Floor/wall Tiles Shine Again - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Seven Practical Steps To Polish And Make Your Floor/wall Tiles Shine Again (7883 Views)

Divorced Summed Up In Seven Photos / Family Petitions FG Over Polish Man’s Cremation Of Nigerian Wife / Wife Catches Her Pastor Husband Having Sex On The Floor Of Church Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seven Practical Steps To Polish And Make Your Floor/wall Tiles Shine Again by DanielJones: 2:31pm On Jul 16, 2015
SEVEN PRACTICAL STEPS TO POLISH AND MAKE YOUR FLOOR/WALL TILES SHINE AND GLOW AGAIN

Question:

I just came back from Germany and decided to move into my new home (5 bedroom duplex) in Lagos but I had this big challenge. My rooms were messy; there were stains and splashes of paints on the tiles from the careless painters and the guys who did my POP. Everywhere was dusty too; the windows filled with dust and some cemented particles, some disgusting spots on my expensive doors and all. So, I knew I needed a cleaning service. I asked my guard to help me get one but he suggested that he would provide the cleaning service at an affordable price. When he was through with the cleaning, I regretted ever making the decision to allow him help with the cleaning. I don’t even know if he washed my window glasses with iron sponge or sand, all I see are deep scratches on some of the glass surface. Also, my main concern is about the tiles. He told me he applied acid before washing the tiles to remove the cement particles on the floor and the paints but everything now looks dull and there are some whitish stains like dirty watermark on the tiles. I am worried, please advise me, can I ever get the tiles restored to its shinny and glazing state again?

Answer:

Hello David (not original name), cleaning is a service that is usually underrated in Nigeria. Plumbers, gardeners, electricians and many other idle professionals may easily convince you that they can do your cleaning jobs for you but you will never want to try that with switching the role of a doctor for a lawyer. Someone once asked me, “...why do you often use the word professional cleaner?” Sure, it’s a profession! Not only in Nigeria, we have them all around the world.
To avoid wasting much time on rephrasing/compounding your problems, let’s go straight to the solution. There are two ways you can solve your problems:

(i) I will teach you how to do it yourself
(ii) Engage the service of a cleaning company (they are many in Nigeria, I will recommend two or three to you later in this mail)

LEARN HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF

(Even if someone is doing it for you, it is always good to know the process involved)

Step 1: Saturate the grout and cemented particles on the floor with a mixture of baking soda and water

Let the mixture of baking soda and water soak the grout and the cemented particles for some hours, depending on how dirty the grout is.

Step 2: Scrub the grout with a clean brush, then scrape the cemented particles off the tiles

Remember that you are not expected to scratch the tiles with the scrapper; you need to scrub and scrape with care.

Step 3: Sweep and vacuum the floor

Avoid using local brooms (i.e. those made from palm fronds), you can get a soft brush sweeper at any store around you, then sweep the floor till you consider it clean enough. After sweeping, you may want to vacuum some parts which your broom can’t reach so as to tidy up the entire floor and get it set for mopping.

Step 4: Mop the floor thoroughly with clean water and detergent

Avoid the use of old, dirty, slippery and heavy footwear while mopping, it may slow the cleaning process and also be harmful to you. Keep mopping until the floor surface is clean. After mopping, ensure that the floor is dry before you move to the next step

Step 5: Spot-clean the stained area by applying the mixture of scouring powder and warm water on the floor.

Apply the solution (mixture of scouring powder and warm water) on the floor with a cleaning mop. Concentrate more on the affected area, then let the solution soak the tiles for l0 minutes.

Please note that acids like vinegar and some other cleaning products will erode natural stone tiles. Therefore, you should only use special neutral cleaners to safely clean your stone or marble tile floors. Gentle dish soap, hydrogen peroxide, cornstarch and baking soda, for example, are good natural cleaning options.

Step 6: Clean the tiles with a steam cleaner

Use a steam cleaner, work in one area at a time and ensure that you pay special attention to any stained area. After you are finished steam cleaning, wipe any dry the floor. After this step, you will notice that your glazed tile already has a nice sheen, but polishing and buffing will make it look better.

Step 7: Polish and Buff the tiles

After applying liquid polish on the tiles, you will need to use a buffing machine on the tiles. Buffers are usually very expensive to get but you may need to hire one from a cleaning store around you. Also, buffers are as easy to use as a vacuum cleaner. You will just turn it on and guide it across your floor, working in a two square foot area at a time until it is well polished. That’s it! You have finished and your floor looks brand new! With a little maintenance, you’ll be able to keep them shiny and bright. The polishing process can be done a few times a year to keep your ceramic glazed tiles looking new and in great condition for years to come.

Ops! Are you still worried about cleaning your exquisite marble floor? Why don’t you consider hiring a cleaning professional today and avoid going through the stress. The average cost for tiles polishing & grout cleaning service of your duplex is within the range of 70k to 90k in Nigeria. Afterlife Cleaning Services, Splendid Cleaning Company and Harold Cleaning are the cleaning companies I can recommend for now. Search more details about them on Google. You may need to do further research on your own for a reliable one that is close to you.

The Brand Inspector
thebrandinspector@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Seven Practical Steps To Polish And Make Your Floor/wall Tiles Shine Again by OnlyMary(f): 5:33pm On Jul 16, 2015
This is helpful. Many full house wives should have enough time to go through this process because it is really worth it. Cleanliness as they say is close to Godliness. But as for me, I would rather call a cleaning company to do the job. Good job @OP!
Re: Seven Practical Steps To Polish And Make Your Floor/wall Tiles Shine Again by kurlarday: 10:18am On Jul 18, 2015
Helpful!
Re: Seven Practical Steps To Polish And Make Your Floor/wall Tiles Shine Again by DanielJones: 10:51am On Aug 05, 2015
kurlarday:
Helpful!

Good!
Re: Seven Practical Steps To Polish And Make Your Floor/wall Tiles Shine Again by DanielJones: 4:16pm On Aug 15, 2015
#Update
Re: Seven Practical Steps To Polish And Make Your Floor/wall Tiles Shine Again by zainabicy: 9:38pm On Aug 16, 2015
Dis is helpful! Op, ur reward is not only in heaven grin
Re: Seven Practical Steps To Polish And Make Your Floor/wall Tiles Shine Again by DanielJones: 11:58pm On Oct 19, 2016
zainabicy:
Dis is helpful! Op, ur reward is not only in heaven grin

wink
Re: Seven Practical Steps To Polish And Make Your Floor/wall Tiles Shine Again by DanielJones: 12:33pm On Dec 06, 2019
As people get prepared for this festive season, you need to ensure that everywhere in your home sparkles.
Re: Seven Practical Steps To Polish And Make Your Floor/wall Tiles Shine Again by MamaFryo(f): 6:14am On Dec 08, 2019
@OP, thanks so much for this piece. I am definitely going to try it out on my tiles.
Re: Seven Practical Steps To Polish And Make Your Floor/wall Tiles Shine Again by okooloyun1(m): 2:55pm On Mar 04, 2022
This really helps...

(1) (Reply)

Pls Peeps,help Me Out In A Bad Situation / #WifeNotCook Bitter Campaign: These Embittered Feminists Must Be Called To Order / Solar Television For Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.