Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,959 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

7 inventors killed by their Inventions - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 7 inventors killed by their Inventions (55926 Views)

16 Nigerian Iventors With Remarkable Inventions Worldwide / Inventors Who Were Killed By Their Own Inventions / Top Five Nigerian Scientists And Their Great Inventions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by abdulaz: 4:59pm On Jul 18, 2015
Why invent what will kill you.
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by RobinHez(m): 5:13pm On Jul 18, 2015
abdulaz:
Uhm...they didn't envisage what would happen na
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Ozavize88(f): 6:13pm On Jul 18, 2015
HMMMM,THAT WOMAN IS TOO CUTE
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by luthorcorp: 12:21pm On Jul 21, 2015
Galileo nko,d one that discovered that the earth orbited the sun
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by rapins: 1:04am On Jul 22, 2015
Marie Curie is my role model! I handle radioactive sources everyday, hope I don't get killed by it.
Though I work with gamma ray for research I am against nuclear power for Nigeria. Nuclear power is among the cleanest source of power but we Nigerians are not security conscious enough to handle it.

3 Likes

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Nobody: 6:38am On Jul 22, 2015
abdulaz:

They died during testing, not what they hoped for and the mistakes or lapses that led to their death were corrected by other inventors/scientists/engineers. We have hundreds of them like that, and they're the reason we can communicate the world in seconds and travel the world in hours. It started with them, they attempts sucidal inventions to make things better and that's why they're better.

2 Likes

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Nobody: 6:40am On Jul 22, 2015
Nicknamed “Flying Tailor“, Franz Reichelt was an Austrian-born French tailor, inventor and parachuting pioneer. Reichelt was working on a suit for aviators that would convert into a parachute and allow them to survive a fall froma plane. Initial experiments conducted with dummies dropped from the fifth floor of his apartment building had been successful so he decided to do the ultimate test by himself. He put his invention on and jumped off the Eifel Tower but the parachute failed to deploy and he crashed into the icy ground at the foot of the tower. The fall killed him immediately.

2 Shares

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Caracta(f): 10:12am On Jul 22, 2015
RobinHez:
5. Marie Curie

Marie Curie was a physicist and chemist best known for her work on radioactivity; however, she also discovered the elements polonium and radium. She was awarded two Nobel Prizes — one in physics which she won jointly with her husband and Henri Becquerel, and another in chemistry — and was the first person to win two Nobel Prizes. She is still one of only four people (along with Linus Pauling, John Bardeen and Frederick Sanger) to accomplish that feat. Curie is responsible for establishing the theory of radioactivity, but unfortunately she unwittingly also discovered the fatal effect radioactivity can have on your health; she died on July 4, 1934, of aplastic anemia caused by radiation exposure.

Marie was like a burning fire. Her passion was deep and infectious. I read about her and mehn...this was one brilliant and gorgeous woman. In 2009, she was voted the most inspirational woman in science. The element with atomic number 96 was named "curium" after her or her husband.

I'd rather die for something than die for nothing.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by daveP(m): 11:19am On Jul 22, 2015
That brazen bull though. Seems i read its still in use till now.... Amongst secret occult groups

Curie seems to be the only one that's an achiever among the list.

HIS makes sense.
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Richiy(f): 4:31pm On Jul 22, 2015
I learnt about Marie Curie from Big Bang theory.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 22, 2015
daveP:
That brazen bull though. Seems i read its still in use till now.... Amongst secret occult groups

Curie seems to be the only one that's an achiever among the list.

HIS makes sense.
her
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 22, 2015
Richiy:
I learnt about Marie Curie from Big Bang theory.
how is that possible?
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by RobinHez(m): 7:17pm On Jul 22, 2015
Teempakguy:
how is that possible?
Lool
Don't tell me u don't knw Bing Bang theory wink
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 22, 2015
RobinHez:

Lool

Don't tell me u don't knw Bing Bang theory wink
I know am nah. But how is it connected to Marie curie?
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 22, 2015
Caracta:

Marie was like a burning fire. Her passion was deep and infectious. I read about her and mehn...this was one brilliant and gorgeous woman. In 2009, she was voted the most inspirational woman in science. The element with atomic number 96 was named "curium" after her or her husband.

I'd rather die for something than die for nothing.
Hmmmm!!!
Robinhez! You see am so?
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Exponental(m): 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
faraday?
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
RobinHez:
6. Perillos of Athens

Of all the inventors on this list, this guy may be the one who most deserved to die at the hand of his own invention. Perillos was a bronze worker who designed a device called the Brazen Bull to be used to painfully execute criminals. The Brazen Bull was a hollow bull. Prisoners were locked inside and roasted to death by a fire underneath. The device was even designed to channel the screams of the burning prisoner out of its nose to sound like a bull. Perillos pitched his invention to Phalaris, a tyrant lord of Acragas in Sicily. After Perillos showed Phalaris the bull, the inventor was put inside and a fire was lit underneath him. History isn't clear about if Perillos was pulled out before dying, only to be thrown off a cliff by Phalaris' men, or if he expired within the bull. Either way, the bull did him in.

I love this story, instant karma. make him sef taste wetin he prepare for others cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by RobinHez(m): 7:25pm On Jul 22, 2015
Teempakguy:
Hmmmm!!!
Robinhe.z! You see am so?
Let me quote my own!

I'll rather LIVE or DIE for a just cause that doesn't involve RADioactivity cuz I"l die anyway when it comes to radiation grin
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by elbaraj001(m): 7:26pm On Jul 22, 2015
Micheal Faraday...he was a french born scientist, he invented electricity...but during d test of his invention he forgot that electrons can not be stoped with hand so he tried stopping the flow of electrons with and unfortunately he was electrocuted and that was how he died....R.I.P...Faraday

4 Likes

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by carlwinnie(m): 7:29pm On Jul 22, 2015
Oh a woman is involve stand up for marie curie as we observe 2 minute silence on her behalf ...#teamwomenwillgettothezenith#

1 Like

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Unluvable(f): 7:39pm On Jul 22, 2015
People die for nothing, were in their homes and Dana crashed in, we are all going to die someday, it's a certain eventuality!
They died for what they believed in, had a passion for. I can't think of a better way to die smiley

1 Like

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by RobinHez(m): 7:46pm On Jul 22, 2015
elbaraj001:
Micheal Faraday...he was a french born scientist, he invented electricity...but during d test of his invention he forgot that electrons can not be stoped with hand so he tried stopping the flow of electrons with and unfortunately he was electrocuted and that was how he died....R.I.P...Faraday
FALACY!!!

1. Faraday ain't French
2. He didn't die with relation to electricity.
3. Farady died in his old age!!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Faraday

Please share this post as much as u can. Our Teachers can lie! shocked

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Richiy(f): 7:50pm On Jul 22, 2015
Teempakguy:
how is that possible?
Sheldon Cooper kept mentioning her name
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by rapins: 7:57pm On Jul 22, 2015
RobinHez:

Let me quote my own!

I'll rather LIVE or DIE for a just cause that doesn't involve RADioactivity cuz I"l die anyway when it comes to radiation grin

Yes we will all die. Some for good reasons others for not too good reason.
But nuclear power in Nigeria is NOT A GOOD REASON!!!
I work with very low level gamma radiation everyday here in Nigeria and there is no protection whatsoever for me but I do it because I am passionate about my work.
If there is no protection for low level radiation what makes you think there will be for high level nuclear energy?
In Nigeria the politics of who is of your religion and who is your brother will not allow us to put the best hands to work. Even then the materials involved in nuclear energy production is not such as to be toyed with but here we play with everything. Some one may decide not to release the control rods needed in the plant simply because he wants you to know that he is in control. In fact we can even sell some of the spare parts to make money for ourselves or keep the file of urgent request for the plant simply because our palm need to be greased.

2 Likes

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Karleb(m): 7:57pm On Jul 22, 2015
Oh! I never knew it was radioactive emission that killed Marie Curie. embarassed sad

I've got one question: If Marie died of exposure to radioactive emission, what killed Henri and Perie? Because, history have it that they all worked on the project together. undecided

1 Like

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Karleb(m): 8:00pm On Jul 22, 2015
RobinHez:

FALACY!!!

1. Faraday ain't French
2. He didn't die with relation to electricity.
3. Farady died in his old age!!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Faraday

Please share this post as much as u can. Our Teachers can lie! shocked

You go fear some Nlanders now. grin

That's too fallacious to believe, even without your debunkilicious link.
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Harryzon(m): 8:05pm On Jul 22, 2015
RobinHez:
5. Marie Curie

Marie Curie was a physicist and chemist best known for her work on radioactivity; however, she also discovered the elements polonium and radium. She was awarded two Nobel Prizes — one in physics which she won jointly with her husband and Henri Becquerel, and another in chemistry — and was the first person to win two Nobel Prizes. She is still one of only four people (along with Linus Pauling, John Bardeen and Frederick Sanger) to accomplish that feat. Curie is responsible for establishing the theory of radioactivity, but unfortunately she unwittingly also discovered the fatal effect radioactivity can have on your health; she died on July 4, 1934, of aplastic anemia caused by radiation exposure.

At least she lived longer than those sunk in d great RMS tintanic inspite of her achievments
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by fpeter(f): 8:07pm On Jul 22, 2015
RobinHez:
5. Marie Curie

it is worthy to also note that she died pretty young and fought hard to be recognised in a male dominated field.

1 Like

Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Alistair58(m): 8:07pm On Jul 22, 2015
marshalcarter:
grin

undecided

grin
very informative more of this pls.
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by AIG07: 8:07pm On Jul 22, 2015
RobinHez:
2. Franz Reichelt

Franz Reichelt was an Austrian-born French inventor who made a living as a tailor but spent his free time working on a flying parachute suit designed to be worn by airplane pilots. Airplanes were a relatively new invention when Reichelt was working on his design, having only been flown for the first time in Kitty Hawk in 1903, and the mechanics of how a pilot would escape a damaged plane were still being worked out. Reichelt's first tests were performed using dummies and were successful enough for him to test the suit himself, which he did by jumping off the lower level of the Eiffel Tower. The 187-foot fall onto frozen ground killed him instantly.

i love his mustache
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 22, 2015
Re: 7 inventors killed by their Inventions by Harryzon(m): 8:08pm On Jul 22, 2015
RobinHez:
6. Perillos of Athens

Of all the inventors on this list, this guy may be the one who most deserved to die at the hand of his own invention. Perillos was a bronze worker who designed a device called the Brazen Bull to be used to painfully execute criminals. The Brazen Bull was a hollow bull. Prisoners were locked inside and roasted to death by a fire underneath. The device was even designed to channel the screams of the burning prisoner out of its nose to sound like a bull. Perillos pitched his invention to Phalaris, a tyrant lord of Acragas in Sicily. After Perillos showed Phalaris the bull, the inventor was put inside and a fire was lit underneath him. History isn't clear about if Perillos was pulled out before dying, only to be thrown off a cliff by Phalaris' men, or if he expired within the bull. Either way, the bull did him in.

hahahahaha...this is damn funny!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Baby Monkey Smokes On Camera As Part Of A Supposed Public Health Campaign( Pics) / Lion Fights Back While Rivals Eat Him Alive / Big Fish Caught In Warri Beach (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.