Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,254 members, 7,815,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Why Nnamdi Kanu’s Biafra Project Must Be Stopped - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nnamdi Kanu’s Biafra Project Must Be Stopped (525 Views)

Biafra: Why Nnamdi Kanu Has Not Been Re-arrested – IGP / Mbe Nwaniga Compares Ojukwu's Biafra To Kanu's Biafra / "Igbo In The North Must Dissociate From Kanu, Biafra" - Dasuki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nnamdi Kanu’s Biafra Project Must Be Stopped by pontirock(m): 6:32pm On Jul 17, 2015
Ever since former President Goodluck Jonathan lost the presidential election on March 28, 2015 which some of us knew he would never win based on the facts that we all knew and the statistics available, a majority of the Igbo have been unhappy and angry. They have been cursing and abusing the President and the All Progressives Congress leaders wishing that President Buhari never existed and the APC never formed. Many of them have been so frustrated after the election that they are now looking for a way to get back to the APC-controlled Federal Government. Now, one Nnamdi Kanu who has been dreaming about the State of Biafra has provided a space for them to vent their anger. Some of them have joined him to begin to wish for the State of Biafra. Suddenly, the so-called Radio Biafra has created a momentum for them. On Facebook, I have watched with keen interest what these guys dish out on a daily basis in the name of fighting for Biafra. They tell blatant lies, create havoc, make terrible noise, they abuse other Nigerians, and they preach unimaginable propaganda and hate that at once put Igboland in potential danger. I have been waiting for the South-East governors to speak up but they have maintained a deafening silence that suggests complicity. I have also waited for our elders to caution this young man but nothing has happened. With the so-called Radio Biafra, Kanu has unleashed an unimaginable trailer-load of lies and potentially dangerous propaganda that have put the Igbo nation in danger. It is now 45 years after the Nigeria- Biafra Civil War and I think that Igbo must rise up to stop this man who apparently never saw the 1967-1970 Civil War and who may not know the implications of what he is doing. He has never consulted anybody to seek his opinion. He has been speaking to the gullible and not too educated people in Igboland, and very soon these uneducated people will take a dangerous decision that may decimate and destroy Igboland. Soon, our people will start complaining that they were not consulted. To be fore-warned is to be fore-armed. Last week, I saw a photo of a group of people that gave the impression that they are getting a military training somewhere in Igboland. Later, I saw another photograph on Facebook with some youths bearing guns and Kanu standing with them. I may not know where these pictures came from and what they are planning to do but this is the time to speak out and I urge anybody who is anybody who understands where we are coming from to stand up now to be counted. Woe betides a nation whose leaders are children. If we elders do not talk about this evil, posterity will never forgive us. Let us speak out and if these children do not hear us, then it should be on record that we spoke. About a month ago, the barrage of lies and uncontrolled propaganda Radio Biafra dished out everyday drew the attention of the National Broadcasting Commission which asked Nigerians to stop listening to the pirate radio station. Now, here are compelling reasons why the Igbo must remain in Nigeria in their own interest: The Igbo fought a civil war of self-determination between 1967 and 1970 and lost about one million people. This should be taken as a huge price for the unity of this country. Having made this monumental supreme price, I think the Igbo should work for the unity of this country based on social justice, equity and fair play.
Re: Why Nnamdi Kanu’s Biafra Project Must Be Stopped by lative(m): 6:33pm On Jul 17, 2015
o.k
Re: Why Nnamdi Kanu’s Biafra Project Must Be Stopped by pontirock(m): 6:34pm On Jul 17, 2015
Nigeria has three major ethnic
groups: Hausa/Fulani, Yoruba
and Igbo. The Hausa/Fulani
Empire has Hausa people
stretching all through the Sahel
to the Sudan. They are mostly
Muslims and they have contact
with the Arab world. The Yoruba
nation has Togo, Benin Republic,
Sierra Leone and even up to
Brazil and Cuba to run to where
their kinsmen are. The Igbo
nation has no outlet anywhere in
the world where the language is
spoken. Therefore, they must see
Nigeria as where they belong and
work for its survival.
Nigeria provided a big space for
the Igbo to spread their
tentacles, explore, excel and
blossom. The South-East is too
small for this highly mobile and
dynamic people to thrive.
The world pays attention to
Nigeria today because of our size
and population. If Nigeria splits
into smaller countries, the world
will pack their bag and baggage
and leave. Population and size
make a nation a destination.
Ndigbo control between 60 and
70 per cent of all the imports in
Nigeria and other Nigerians,
Yoruba, Hausa/Fulani, Ijaw, Efik,
Birom, Tiv, Idoma etc provide a
huge market for Igbo mobile and
big-time traders.
Monumental inter-marriages
between the Igbo and Yoruba and
other ethnic groups have thrived
for close to 70 years now that we
cannot just dismiss all these with
a wave of the hand.
Ndigbo own huge and massive
investments in property in Lagos
and Abuja, and other state
capitals in Nigeria. Now, are you
going to wish all this away?
Other Nigerian cities have
provided safe havens for the Igbo
as places to run to cool off
whenever self-inflicted crises
arise or other problems. When
kidnapping became a way of life
in the South-East, our people
moved to other parts of Nigeria
to settle. Now, where will the
Igbo go when confronted with
these problems in Biafra?
How can the Igbo thrive without
their Lagos and Abuja or Port
Harcourt? What happens to all
their connections and
relationships in these places?
We have been so intermarried,
interwoven, intertwined, inter-
related that the idea of
separation may not be
encouraged. I do not want to
lose my friends from the other
parts of Nigeria for anything.
I can go on but there is no need
to continue to do so. We must be
strong enough to stop this
world’s old problems of looking
down on people who are different
from us. This is the problem of
Nigeria. Nigeria’s diversity is a
big plus for all of us to excel.
United we stand, divided we fall. I
confess that the Igbo have not
played better politics in Nigeria
since 1970 and that has been our
bane. Anytime Nigeria wants to
change a bad leadership in the
country, the Igbo as a bloc will
resist it. It happened in 1993 and
we lost everything. In 2015, the
Igbo were at it again but forces
of history prevailed. The Igbo can
do better than this.
However, I want Nigerian leaders
to show leadership by carrying all
Nigerians along in distributing
power and resources. If there is
no justice, there will be no peace.
If there is no peace, there will be
no progress. Let justice prevail.
Let us be fair to all concerned. If
the truth must prevail and it
must prevail, Nigeria has not
been fair to Igbo since the end of
the civil war. They tell us that
there is no victor and no
vanquished but in actions and
deeds, the victors are still
celebrating and enjoying the
spoils of the war while the
defeated are still languishing in
abject neglect. For instance, of
all the six zones in Nigeria, only
the South-East zone has five
states. We have found solace in
all these because we have found
out that those who are still
oppressing the Igbo in Nigeria
are not better. We also take
solace in the findings of the
Fathers of the Second Vatican
Council that all acts of indignity
against human persons, against
human society debase the
perpetrators more than the
victims. It is not that the
offended cannot forgive but have
the offenders repented? This
injustice must stop now for the
sake of unity of this country. I
wrote Igbos: 25 Years After Biafra
in 1995 thinking that the book
will prick the conscience of other
Nigerians but they have not paid
any attention. It has been
business as usual. Now,
President Buhari must address
this injustice. Case rested!
Igbokwe wrote in from Lagos http://www.punchng.com/opinion/why-nnamdi-kanus-biafra-project-must-be-stopped/
Re: Why Nnamdi Kanu’s Biafra Project Must Be Stopped by babajero(m): 7:07pm On Jul 17, 2015
What you like say, you own your mouth, we own our brain, you talk, we reason. Propaganda worked for apc against pdp but it can't work against biafra. When GEJ was on post you ppl picked up guns and killed yourselves, but we did not pick guns and didn't kill anybody still you are restless. Sorry for your agony.

(1) (Reply)

Why Buhari Sacked NIMASA DG / I Became The Head Of State Because General Gowon Sent Me To War Front – Obasanjo / Can One Be A Muslim Fanatic And Same-sex Sympathizer At The Same Time?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.