Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS (2183 Views)

Igbo Man Makes Clothes For Almajiris In Kano For Sallah (Photos) / Fayose On His Knees As Eze Akaji Of Igbo Land Prays For Him At Ekiti Govt House / Map Of Native Courts Of 1903 Showing Boundary Of Igbo Speaking People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by JohnVianney: 1:35pm On Jul 18, 2015
WHO ARE THE IGBOS OF WEST AFRICA?

And I will ask: “Who are the Igbos?”.
Igbo is one of the three major tribes in Nigeria. An Igbo is a person from Igbo Land. Igbo also refers to the native or primary language of this tribal grouping in Nigeria, called Igbos.

In a Lecture delivered in an international forum years back, a former Governor of a Nigerian State of Abia, Orji Uzor Kalu, said;
“I will not detain you with genealogical or anthropological exercise here. Let it be sufficient for me to just say this about the origin of the Igbo: serious studies based on verifiable evidence indicate that the Igbo have lived in Igboland for almost as long as man has lived on earth. The archaeological finds at Ugwuele in Okigwe provide a meaningful evidence of human activities in the theatre of Igbo civilization more than two hundred and fifty thousand years ago. Evidence of man-made tools like axe, pottery and carved stones dug up at the present day Enugu and Ebonyi states lend credence to the existence of Igbo culture for scores of millennia. My people are known as the Igbo and our language is Igbo."

Igbo people constitute one of the three largest ethnic groups in Nigeria what Nigerian historians have come to term the tribal tripod. The other two are the Yoruba and the Hausa. The primary Igbo states in Nigeria are Anambra, Abia, Imo, Ebonyi, and Enugu (if justice and equity reigned, there should have been 6 or 7, instead of just 5 states). Due to their mobility, the Igbo constitute between 25% - 60% of the population in some other Nigerian States such as Delta, Rivers, Lagos, Kano, Cross River, Kaduna, Akwa Ibom and Plateau, to mention a few.

Although the Igbos mainly and primarily inhabit the South-eastern part of Nigeria, they have, however spread like ants in the savannah to every nook and cranny of Nigeria, Africa and indeed the world at large.
Thriving, building and enriching themselves, their environment and others in all facets of life as they do so. The veteran American diplomat, Henry Kissinger, hit the nail on the head when he aptly observed that: “The Igbos are the wandering Jews of West Africa; gifted, aggressive, Westernized, at best envied and resented, but mostly despised by the mass of their neighbors in the Federation.” – Henry Kissinger,MEMORANDUM FOR THE PRESIDENT, Tuesday, January 28, 1969 [Foreign Relations, 1969-1976, Volume E-5, Documents on Africa, 1969-1972]

Love them or hate them, there is no gainsaying the very fact that the Igbos are a visionary and highly enterprising people. Yes, though it is not the aim of this work to go deep into the history of the Igbos or who they are, but suffice it to say that the Igbos are Nigerians occupying the space otherwise known as the South-Eastern part of the present day Nigeria. They are also the indigenous population of some parts of Benue, Delta (otherwise called Delta-Igbos or the Aniomas of Delta North Senatorial Zone) and Rivers (otherwise called Rivers Igbo of Rivers East Senatorial Zone and partly Rivers West Zone). Also, the Agbanis around Opobo
area are Igbo descendants (remember King Jaja of Opobo, who originally hailed from Amaigbo, same town where the celebrated world heavy weight boxing champion, “Dick Tiger” Ihenetu came from). There are also the Igbankes of Edo State. Succinctly put, indigenous Igbos wholly occupy the South-Eastern part of Nigeria; major parts of Delta and River States; and small parts of Kogi, Benue, Cross River, Akwa-Ibom and Bayelsa States.

And I once read a piece of article in a Nigerian Newspaper in which the famous Odia Ofemimun was commenting on a certain controversy over seniority among Yoruba Obas. In that interesting piece where he quoted learned historians like Prof Adiele Afigbo, the great Odia showed how related some tribes (in Nigeria) are. He revealed how Ile-Ife was occupied by some earlier inhabitants including Obatala, said to be a progenitor of the Igbo race, and who moved eastward after an encounter with Oduduwa on the arrival of the latter to Ife. That wonderful work titled "Oba Of Benin Is The Number One", I think, gave me a clue as to why such names as Ijebu-Igbo should exist in Yoruba Land. I now know it is not a mere coincidence. The movement of Obatala eastward explains the origin of Igbos of Delta State, the Aniomas, even though some of them migrated from what we call ‘South East’ today. It, therefore, remains wrong to say that the Aniomas have any ancestry with the Binis or any other tribe in the present day Edo or Delta State; let alone say that the Aniomas originated from any of the tribes in either Edo or Delta State.

Read more at www.academia.edu/35944675/IGBOS_A_PEOPLE_THRIVING_AMIDST_ADVERSITY_WHO_ARE_THE_IGBOS

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by Rose2014: 1:43pm On Jul 18, 2015
Op God bless you for this

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by Utchgirl(f): 1:44pm On Jul 18, 2015
A nice write up !

It's Igbo nt Ibo

They shld ctnue wit dia hate because one day o g'eme ha vaamm n'anya.

Jus one day everybody go ansa his papa name .

Longlive NDIGBO !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by DaBullIT(m): 1:45pm On Jul 18, 2015
Use of Grammar

Page 1 , Punctuation

Page 2 , Paragraphing

That SAID :

We LOVE IBOs , They are smart, Admirable ,, hard working , real hustlers , understanding , friendly and Majority of them are peace-loving

BUT A FEW ARSE WIPES among them are trying to cause a rift that'll bring war , which will make the inciters richer

But make the masses , poorer and fewer

And some Jobless Eediots are just following those arse wipes like Zombies

Which is unacceptable

3 Likes

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by Rose2014: 1:46pm On Jul 18, 2015
I think the Yorubas are the most confused in all these

They call us immigrants but are quick to create Biafra threads to advise us against Biafra cheesy

Not to mention Dr Ariyo's genocide call and how he became a hero for Yoruba Nairalanders for saying that. Let me leave Oba Akiolu for now

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 18, 2015
DaBullIT:
Use of Grammer

Page 1 , Punctuations

Page 2 , Paraghraphing
don't Change the fact ....that you are a parasite

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by Kingspin(m): 1:49pm On Jul 18, 2015
It clear to those that feel they are enjoying Nigeria that the country is lacking peace since 1960 till 2015. And as useless as Nigeria nobody wona talk about peace process. Infact if u do they shout you down so let us enjoy the piece as it comes. No cannot govern a country off hand and expect peace, good results.
Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by Zico5(m): 1:53pm On Jul 18, 2015
The main question for this OP is; can average igbo man stay in ur Biafra. To be sincere, nobody is against igbo leaving united Nigeria but they must know their boundary,anything outside five south east enclave is no go area. As well, who re those main agitator of Biafra, what is their precedence? Can they drag prominent igbo like kalu oji, emeka anyaoku, ekweremadu and co to this. Do south east have what it takes to be independent? If the answer is yes then, let them carry on.

1 Like

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by DaBullIT(m): 1:53pm On Jul 18, 2015
Rose2014:
I think the Yorubas are the most confused in all these

They call us immigrants but are quick to create Biafra threads to advise us against Biafra cheesy

Not to mention Dr Ariyo's genocide call and how he became a hero for Yorubas for doing that

I am disappointed in you

Go to facebook and checkout the number of Yoruba names (Myself and my 709 Yoruba friends Inclusive )who signed petition for him to be dealt with

He never became HERO he became a degenerate and He was condemned for it ,

Just like the Oba of Lagos received the insults of his life from Yorubas on his Lagoon Comment

You people disappoint me a lot

1 Like

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by stanech: 1:58pm On Jul 18, 2015
Inasmuch as I want biafra I would want us to thread carefully and use every peaceful means necessary to activate it. We have made a lot of progress since the civil war. We must maintain the temple. No war please.

Kudos to radio biafra. If only massob would join hands with them let's use the non violence approach please .

1 Like

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by Rose2014: 1:59pm On Jul 18, 2015
DaBullIT:

I am disappointed in you

Go to facebook and checkout the number of Yoruba names (Myself and my 709 Yoruba friends Inclusive )who signed petition for him to be dealt with

Just like the Oba of Lagos received the insults of his life from Yorubas on his Lagoon Comment

My sincere apology goes to people like you and your friends. Sad enough, you're not usually the vocal ones on nl. I was surprised and utterly disgusted to see how many Yorubas were hailing each of them here on nl.

Correction taken

1 Like

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by JohnVianney: 2:07pm On Jul 18, 2015
DaBullIT:
Use of Grammar

Page 1 , Punctuation

Page 2 , Paragraphing

noted
Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by Futureleader1(m): 2:23pm On Jul 18, 2015
Respect...

All hail the land of the rising sun..BIAFRA
Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by footreja: 2:45pm On Jul 18, 2015
DaBullIT:

I am disappointed in you

grin grin grin I was stvpid like you before, trying to cover for igbos because I have good friends among them. Until the day I knew their friendliness was not deep down in their hearts. They pretend as if they like you, when you go they call u ofemmmmanu. They deserve everything they get. Cowards. They are the most tribalistic tribe in this country. I cant wait for them to leave Nigeria and go and knock each other's head in Biafra land.

1 Like

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by HopeAtHand: 3:15pm On Jul 18, 2015
Well, i've elected to reserve my comment.
Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by zendy: 3:34pm On Jul 18, 2015
Zico5:
The main question for this OP is; can average igbo man stay in ur Biafra. To be sincere, nobody is against igbo leaving united Nigeria but they must know their boundary,anything outside five south east enclave is no go area. As well, who re those main agitator of Biafra, what is their precedence? Can they drag prominent igbo like kalu oji, emeka anyaoku, ekweremadu and co to this. Do south east have what it takes to be independent? If the answer is yes then, let them carry on.

Unfortunately, Igbo land is bigger than those 5 states. We are leaving nobody behind, be it Delta-Igbo, Rivers -Igbo, Etche-Igbo, Ikwere-Igbo. All Igbos are going so if you are just looking at those 5 states, then look harder.
Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by DaBullIT(m): 4:08pm On Jul 18, 2015
footreja:

grin grin grin I was stvpid like you before, trying to cover for igbos because I have good friends among them. Until the day I knew their friendliness was not deep down in their hearts. They pretend as if they like you, when you go they call u ofemmmmanu. They deserve everything they get. Cowards. They are the most tribalistic tribe in this country. I cant wait for them to leave Nigeria and go and knock each other's head in Biafra land.

How is your comment going to help your life ??

2 Likes

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by T8ksy(m): 4:11pm On Jul 18, 2015
DaBullIT:

I am disappointed in you

And what exactly did the Doctor wrote to make him a degenerate among the yorubas. IMHO, the doctor was only thinking out loud into the future. If ibos persist with their innate disregard for local customs , it's only a matter of time before they incur their host' displeasure.

As for your take on the Oba, I sincerely doubt your yorubaness if you can type what you just did. No true Yoruba sons (and daughters ) will dare insult the Oba, even if they don't agree with his comment concerning the ibos and the Lagoon.

I personally don't concur with the oba's statement as I believe it's obviously gratuitous but then am not privy to his innermost mind which must have governed his decision to reiterate to his mainly (ibo ) audience that Lagos is his domain and he is therfore lord and master of everything therein.

I guess no one is disputing this FACT with him except of course the ibos, who kept singing to all and sundry that Lagos is a No man's land.

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by footreja: 4:14pm On Jul 18, 2015
DaBullIT:

How is your comment going to help your life ??

I help my life off nairaland and help f**ked up lives like yours with my comments.
Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by disumusa: 4:43pm On Jul 18, 2015
zendy:

Unfortunately, Igbo land is bigger than those 5 states. We are leaving nobody behind, be it Delta-Igbo, Rivers -Igbo, Etche-Igbo, Ikwere-Igbo. All Igbos are going so if you are just looking at those 5 states, then look harder.
nonsense
Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2015
JohnVianney:
Igbo people asked for Biafra, Nigeria refused and said the country must be one. A Dutch man draws a cartoon of Mohammed in faraway Denmark, you people go around killing Igbos and destroying their properties in the North.
Philips Emegwali invents a super-fast computer, you say a "Nigerian" invents.
An Igbo student in diaspora makes good grades, you say a "Nigerian" graduates top of the class but Ikechukwu Abia is caught trafficking drugs, you say an "Igbo " man is caught with drugs abroad. when an Igbo man does his business and prosper, you people say they want to steal your land and rule over you whereas 90% of the oil blocks in the South are owned by Northerners, and you people do not say they have stolen someone's land and resources. Igbos ask for the Presidency, you people laugh at them and say "over your dead body."
The North has ruled Nigeria for over 38years and they keep threatening everyone else that they are being marginalized, and so they start bombing everywhere, you people say let's negotiate with them. when Igbos voted for Jonathan, you people say they are myopic and tribalistic but when the North and the West voted for Buhari, you people say it is called "change" and democracy. Igbos rally behind Jimi Abaje, you people say they will drown in the lagoon. Ambode won, you people start cursing them.
Adamu Ciroma and co said "The North would make this country ungovernable if a Northerner does not become President" and "They'll be no Nigeria if power does not return to the North". You people call them "Elder Statesmen","Party Stalwart", "Northern leader", etc. Nnamdi Kanu says the same thing but you people call him "a retard", "treasonable criminal", "war-monger", "evil" and so on. During the last elections, Radio and TV stations in the North play jihad songs while making anti-GEJ campaigns, say all sorts of things in Hausa, no newspaper headline asked for them to be banned. Of course you people call it politics. When Radio Biafra did the same, all hell was let loose. You people say they spreading bigotry and dangerous propaganda.
Do you people have an IBOPHOBIA? Of course not! No one will agree. But do you think the Igbos are the problem, well.....everyone would raise their hands. But we ask, why don't you let the Igbos separate and go their way, you people give us that terrorist look. Dear landlords, just one question What do you want the Igbos to do to please you?

Cc. Ikenna351, ishilove , Afam4eva
You just nailed it correctly and am proud of you. What you just narrated is the reason why I hate this contraption. I pray that God Almighty will separate us from our enemies and bless Biafra IJN.

1 Like

Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 18, 2015
Zico5:
We are living with our cousins. And who are to tell us the place that is a no go area?
Re: IGBOS, A PEOPLE THRIVING AMIDST ADVERSITY: WHO ARE THE IGBOS by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 18, 2015
footreja:

Stup1d fool! your tribe is the most tribalistic in this damnation even emir of kano said it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: 21 Chibok Girls Released / I'm Still In Shock To Know Jonathan Govt Failed To Save From Oil Boom - Buhari / This Is What Happens When You Keep Carrying Other People Matter For Head ( Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.