Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,500 members, 7,954,912 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:24 PM

Local Names For Tuna And Salmon - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Local Names For Tuna And Salmon (73431 Views)

I Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits / Special Names For The Meat Of Some Common Animals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 18, 2015
Biko, I want to buy Tuna and salmon from the people who sell frozen foods in my area but nobody seems to be sure which fish is Salmon and which is Tuna. Please what are our local names for Salmon and Tuna so I can easily buy them - not sure myself too. Thanks!
Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by Lucasbalo(m): 5:20pm On Jul 18, 2015
emeify:
Biko, I want to buy Tuna and salmon from the people who sell frozen foods in my area but nobody seems to be sure which fish is Salmon and which is Tuna. Please what are our local names for Salmon and Tuna so I can easily buy them - not sure myself too. Thanks!
Good question. I w
as in Nigeria in February and asked my cousin the same question and she told me that she had no clue. I love Salmon fish.

2 Likes

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 19, 2015
Lucasbalo:
Good question. I w
as in Nigeria in February and asked my cousin the same question and she told me that she had no clue. I love Salmon fish.
oh. That's a shame. Hope someone is able to tell me the local names.
Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by MzBee63: 2:36pm On Sep 05, 2015
Tuna is kote
Salmon is titus
Herring is shawa

11 Likes

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by fankidzei: 2:42pm On Jan 26, 2016
MzBee63:
Tuna is kote
Salmon is titus
Herring is shawa

ARE U SURE?

5 Likes

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by Sunrise258: 11:11am On Mar 01, 2019
fankidzei:

ARE U SURE?

Mackerel is the English word for Eja Alaran (Yoruba). Nigerians generally call it Titus fish.

I don't know the Yoruba word for Salmon fish n Tuna fish.

2 Likes

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by JuanDeDios: 8:37am On Jun 03, 2019
MzBee63:
Tuna is kote
Salmon is titus
Herring is shawa
Wrong about 2 and 3. Mackerel is what Nigerians call Titus. I know Salmon when I see it at the frozen foods shops but I don't know if it has any indigenous name.

Herring is different from Shawa.

2 Likes

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by pasuma(m): 7:14am On Jun 30, 2019
I sell fresh salmon direct from Norway at very good prices.. the best prices you can find in Nigeria. WhatsApp me on 08030799930

2 Likes

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 19, 2019
Lalasticlala, I don't know the local name of salmon too
Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by wowcatty: 9:40pm On Dec 29, 2019
Salmon is Eja osan
Tuna is Kote
Mackerel is Eja alaran or Titus

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by kayo80(m): 1:55pm On Apr 20, 2020
wowcatty:
Salmon is Eja osan
Tuna is Kote
Mackerel is Eja alaran or Titus

Yeah, Salmon is Eja Osan...I think they also call it Panla Osan, and Hake.

1 Like

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by wowcatty: 2:52am On Apr 21, 2020
Are there two types though?

The flesh of the salmon I saw in Nigeria is different from the one here. I know the one in Nigeria is 99% wild caught and here we have the wild caught and farm raised.
kayo80:

Yeah, Salmon is Eja Osan...I think they also call it Panla Osan, and Hake.
Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by kayo80(m): 5:46am On Apr 21, 2020
wowcatty:
Are there two types though?

The flesh of the salmon I saw in Nigeria is different from the one here. I know the one in Nigeria is 99% wild caught and here we have the wild caught and farm raised.

Hmm. I don't know... maybe there are two types.
Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by wowcatty: 6:15am On Apr 21, 2020
I was surprised but will find out more.
kayo80:

Hmm. I don't know... maybe there are two types.

1 Like

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by kayo80(m): 12:18pm On Apr 21, 2020
wowcatty:
I was surprised but will find out more.

Update.

Hake is an entirely different type of fish. The frozen food I go to have been decieveing me since that Hake is Salmon/Eja Osan. Or maybe they also don't know.

I went to a new frozen food today, and they actually had Hake, and Salmon underneath it on their white board. So, I finally am sure that what I am buying is Salmon�

Picture attached.

2 Likes

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by wowcatty: 4:46am On Apr 23, 2020
Oh ok! I will be paying attention when next I go fish shopping. Thanks!
kayo80:

Update.

Hake is an entirely different type of fish. The frozen food I go too have been decieveing me since that Hake is Salmon/Eja Osan. Or maybe they also don't know.

I went to a new frozen food today, and they actually had Hake, and Salmon underneath it on their white board. So, I finally am sure that what I am buying is Salmon�

Picture attached.

1 Like

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by dejol88: 7:26pm On May 03, 2020
kayo80:

Update.

Hake is an entirely different type of fish. The frozen food I go to have been decieveing me since that Hake is Salmon/Eja Osan. Or maybe they also don't know.

Picture attached.
Pls where did you buy salmon fish ? How much are they selling?

1 Like

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by kayo80(m): 8:09pm On May 03, 2020
dejol88:

Pls where did you buy salmon fish ? How much are they selling?

I live in Ibadan.

I bought at Bodija market in Ibadan...there is a frozen food place where I buy fish from there. Salmon sells for N800 a kilo. It is funny it is cheaper than Titus, which sells for N1,250 per kilo, but I prefer Salmon.

They didn't have Salmon the last time I went two days ago. I guess the lockdown is somehow affecting how they get the fish.
Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by Beanwalker20(m): 3:20pm On Jun 25, 2020
I don't know the name of tuna and salmon for now but they're not eja Osan. Eja osan is African knife fish a family of Gymnarchus.

1 Like

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by Sterope(f): 6:41am On Oct 11, 2020
Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by Perficio: 8:41pm On Jan 11, 2022
kayo80:

I live in Ibadan.

I bought at Bodija market in Ibadan...there is a frozen food place where I buy fish from there. Salmon sells for N800 a kilo. It is funny it is cheaper than Titus, which sells for N1,250 per kilo, but I prefer Salmon.

They didn't have Salmon the last time I went two days ago. I guess the lockdown is somehow affecting how they get the fish.

Hi please where in Bodija do you get this?
Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by kayo80(m): 12:37pm On Jan 12, 2022
Perficio:

Hi please where in Bodija do you get this?

The name of the bus stop is Asunle (Yoruba pronunciation).
Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by iamwhat: 10:11pm On May 08, 2023
This doesn't look like Salmon to me.
The body looks like it but the head is far from it.

kayo80:

Update.

Picture attached.

Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by kayo80(m): 10:45pm On May 08, 2023
iamwhat:
This doesn't look like Salmon to me.
The body looks like it but the head is far from it.

Yeah, it isnt...i didn't really know much about fish back then. Does guys just called that fish Salmon, i wonder what the real name of the fish is...it definitely isn't Salmon.
Re: Local Names For Tuna And Salmon by GNewsGhana(m): 9:18pm On Jun 18, 2023
I saw this resource and want to share it on Local Names For Tuna And Salmon - https://republikcitynews.com/salmon-fish-in-nigeria/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? / ₦100 Piece Of Meat Sold In UNIZIK (Pictures) / Indomie Generation Doesn't Know The Drink Called Goldspot And Olo

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.