Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Which Netbooks And Atom Laptop To Buy - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Which Netbooks And Atom Laptop To Buy (1347 Views)

Are Lenovo Netbooks Reliable & Durable? / Mini Price: Laptops And Netbooks / How Can I Use My Laptop To Record Sounds/audio? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Netbooks And Atom Laptop To Buy by azman: 10:56am On Mar 11, 2009
Hi, friends, can someone help to advise on the best Netbook/Atom Laptops around. I understand that some behave so funny and may not deliver the required functionality.
These Netbooks and slim minis and Atoms come in various designs, but experience is the best teacher.
Kindly advise
Re: Which Netbooks And Atom Laptop To Buy by azman: 3:32pm On Mar 11, 2009
Is there any place in Nigeria where these Netbooks and Atom laptops could be procured? Kindly provide the contact numbers and addresses.
Re: Which Netbooks And Atom Laptop To Buy by ChiefD(m): 1:27am On Apr 05, 2009
Just go to Mega plaza in VI, once you are on the main floor, its just by the entrance to your right, you will see a couple of them there. Also you should check the OFFICEMAX section downstairs too, they have some tiny wonders there too.

Cheers
Re: Which Netbooks And Atom Laptop To Buy by azman: 5:35pm On Apr 06, 2009
Thanks alot chief, I finally got one sent through a relation in USA. Its a white ASUS901 1Gig Ram,20Gig HDD, No attached DVD ROM . My major concern now is thatthe system came preloaded with Linux but im only familiar with Windows.

My fear is that if it formatted and loaded with a windows XP with service Pack 2. Will I be able to get all the drivers for the system loaded?.
In addition, without having to reformat the system, can windows XP and Linux co-exist on the same partition? The system is about 20Gig of Hard Disk

I need an advice urgently from the gurus because I cant send it back to USA.

Thanks
Azman
Re: Which Netbooks And Atom Laptop To Buy by Phony200(m): 10:56am On Apr 12, 2009
Formatting is not too much of an issue, Just make sure it's a pro in charge. Otherwise, try downloading Driver Genius and save all your drivers as autorun and put in a flash drive before you format
Re: Which Netbooks And Atom Laptop To Buy by bigrovar(m): 6:35am On Apr 13, 2009
azman:

Thanks alot chief, I finally got one sent through a relation in USA. Its a white ASUS901 1Gig Ram,20Gig HDD, No attached DVD ROM . My major concern now is thatthe system came preloaded with Linux but im only familiar with Windows.

My fear is that if it formatted and loaded with a windows XP with service Pack 2. Will I be able to get all the drivers for the system loaded?.
In addition, without having to reformat the system, can windows XP and Linux co-exist on the same partition? The system is about 20Gig of Hard Disk

I need an advice urgently from the gurus because I cant send it back to USA.

Thanks
Azman

I would just advise u to leave the linux as it is, dont let the word linux scare you the one that comes preloaded on your machine has been made to be very easy to you so you wont have any problem, xp doesnt run well on netbooks, by the time you have your anti-virus it would just become very very slow to make any sense, also to be able to install XP u would have to get an external cd-rom, plus start looking for drivers that would work, after which u would end up with a system that is very slow to bootup, applications would be slow to start etc, when i got my compaq mini 700 netbook it came preloaded with xp, the performance was soo bad that i had to install linux, which has been slimmed down to run on netbooks i never when back. again linux is not that hard to use, incase you have any problem or question about it please let me know i would be glad to help . cheers.
Re: Which Netbooks And Atom Laptop To Buy by Djcn: 4:37pm On Apr 13, 2009
bigrovar:

I would just advise u to leave the linux as it is, dont let the word linux scare you the one that comes preloaded on your machine has been made to be very easy to you so you wont have any problem, xp doesnt run well on netbooks, by the time you have your anti-virus it would just become very very slow to make any sense, also to be able to install XP u would have to get an external cd-rom, plus start looking for drivers that would work, after which u would end up with a system that is very slow to bootup, applications would be slow to start etc, when i got my compaq mini 700 netbook it came preloaded with xp, the performance was soo bad that i had to install linux, which has been slimmed down to run on netbooks i never when back. again linux is not that hard to use, incase you have any problem or question about it please let me know i would be glad to help . cheers.

Could that be really so, linux netbooks have drastically fell in market sales, cos more persons have been less satisfied with these stuffs, while windows experience a 10% INCREASE.

Windows-based netbooks grew to 96% of the market as of February, up from under 10% during the first half of 2008. Microsoft's gains were cut from the market share of Linux-based netbooks, a fact Microsoft attributes to consumers wanting a netbook that runs like their home PCs.

http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/poaUBhdqhWgKhaCiceiTBVXnJu?format=standard
Re: Which Netbooks And Atom Laptop To Buy by bigrovar(m): 9:33pm On Apr 13, 2009
Djcn:

Could that be really so, linux netbooks have drastically fell in market sales, cos more persons have been less satisfied with these stuffs, while windows experience a 10% INCREASE.

Windows-based netbooks grew to 96% of the market as of February, up from under 10% during the first half of 2008. Microsoft's gains were cut from the market share of Linux-based netbooks, a fact Microsoft attributes to consumers wanting a netbook that runs like their home PCs.

http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/poaUBhdqhWgKhaCiceiTBVXnJu?format=standard

have u used or seen windows run on a netbook? and i have seen linux run on a netbook? i have seen and used both on at least the eeepc, ascer aspire1 and the compaq mini so am speaking from experience not from the point of view of an MS employee's blog. true many people would naturely go for what they are used to which in this case is XP. that doesnt make XP run better on netbooks, popularity and performance are quite 2 different things. if u want to talk about windows on netbooks bring up its merits over linux netbooks rather than rely on statistics which has no bases.

(1) (Reply)

Visafone Evdo Internet Connection For Sale N25k / Kindly Recommend A Good And Affordable 3-in-1 Printer / HP Pavilion Dv4 (350g,4gram)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.