Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:32 AM

Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed (1629 Views)

7 Terrible Mistakes People Make In Marriage / Nigerian Man Ties His Son To His Back And People Make Fun Of Him / Woman Who Cooks With Menstrual Blood Says "No Regrets" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by hector: 10:16pm On Jul 18, 2015
i stumbled on this story about a nurse's experiencd with sick people on their deathbed and i thought it might make an interesting read for you folks. Here is the story...

Many years I worked in palliative care. My patients were those who had gone home to die. Some incredibly special times were shared. I was with them for the last three to twelve weeks of their lives. People grow a lot when they are faced with their own mortality.I learnt never to underestimate someone’s capacity for growth. Some changes were phenomenal. Each experienced a variety of emotions, as expected, denial, fear, anger, remorse, more denial and eventually acceptance. Every single patient found their peace before they departed though, every one of them.When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently, common themes surfaced again and again. Here are the most common five:

1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.This was the most common regret of all. When people realize that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing thatit was due to choices they had made, or not made.It is very important to try and honour at least some of your dreams along the way. From the moment that you lose your health, it is too late. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it.

2. I wish I didn’t work so hard.This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children’s youth and their partner’s companionship. Women also spokeof this regret. But as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.By simplifying your lifestyle and making conscious choices along theway, it is possible to not need the income that you think you do. And by creating more space in your life, you become happier and more open to new opportunities, ones more suited to your new lifestyle.

3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace withothers. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result.We cannot control the reactions of others. However, although people may initially react when you changethe way you are by speaking honestly, in the end it raises the relationship to a whole new and healthier level. Either that or it releases the unhealthy relationship from your life. Either way, you win.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendshipsthe time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying.It is common for anyone in a busy lifestyle to let friendships slip. But when you are faced with your approaching death, the physical details of life fall away. People do want to get their financial affairs in order if possible. But it is not money or status that holds the true importance for them. They want to get things in order more for the benefit of those they love. Usually though, they are too ill and weary toever manage this task. It is all comes down to love and relationships in the end. That is all that remains in the final weeks, loveand relationships.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They hadstayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called ‘comfort’ of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content. When deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again. When you are on your deathbed, what others think of you is a long way from your mind. How wonderful to be able to let go and smile again, long before you are dying.Life is a choice. It is YOUR life. Choose consciously, choose wisely, choose honestly. Choose happiness.

http://inspirationandchai.com/Regrets-of-the-Dying.html

2 Likes

Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jul 18, 2015
Even dangote cum bill gate wif all dem money and accomplishment will still "wish" till death.

2 Likes

Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 18, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
u!!!
watch ur steps

@topic
too late!
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by valmunich(m): 10:33pm On Jul 18, 2015
Only if wishes were horses... sad
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jul 18, 2015
brooklyn49:

u!!!
#shalom cum salaam
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by princefunmmy(m): 10:35pm On Jul 18, 2015
don't they think of eternity? They'll be like "I wish I had accepted Jesus"

2 Likes

Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 18, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:

#shalom cum salaam
u used jazz n knocked that topic off FP shey

will jazz this one too..relax cis its going nowhere
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Galacious1: 10:37pm On Jul 18, 2015
valmunich:
Only if wishes were horses... sad
...beggars would ride
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Lekan111(m): 10:38pm On Jul 18, 2015
And some old people that give their life to Christ at old age usually regret how they wish they had done so earlier
if you are born again no regret just make sure you are faithful to the end.Jesus is coming for a church without wrinkle or blemish without sin

2 Likes

Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 18, 2015
brooklyn49:

u used jazz n knocked that topic off FP shey

will jazz this one too..relax cis its going nowhere
Even lalasticlala cum ishilove cum seun(god of NL) can't stop dis moving train.
"Quote me anywhere"
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 18, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Even lalasticlala cum ishilove cum seun(god of NL) can't stop dis moving train. "Quote me anywhere"
keep dreaming
*start working on jazz*
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Judeoxide(m): 10:43pm On Jul 18, 2015
Am not having any of these problem because I realise some very early especially the " living a life people want and not the one you want" I live my life the way I want..make mistakes fall stand endure and explode when needed..because after my sisters death...although it was hard but eventually I moved on...
But my point is if you live the life people want you to live, when you die, young or old,, you will be history and every body will forget you...just live you life biko...
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Yustash001(m): 10:57pm On Jul 18, 2015
Hmmm.....touching....
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by KanwuliaJara: 11:22pm On Jul 18, 2015
Meaning?
I will NOT be in any of these categories!
A fulfilled life with absolutely no regrets! cool

Ova to the fasters and prayer warriorz!!!! grin

Happy book of LAMENTATIONS!!!!! kiss

*fastening my seat belt jeje. plane taking off in 10 minutes. time for some fore-play* cool
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by yorubadelta(f): 11:25pm On Jul 18, 2015
.. ones focus should be on
making HEAVEN after this fleeting life has passed away...

4 Likes

Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by pacino26(m): 12:13am On Jul 19, 2015
Hmmmm. One last wish on my bed will be to have Jesus open the gates of St. Peter no time for regrets.

The summary of my acts brought me to this day and so will it be that day. Had I don't things differently, there may never be that day.

#immortalredemption
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by cococandy(f): 12:20am On Jul 19, 2015
Number 1 and 3, so important.
Everyone owes it to themselves.
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by snakebeat: 6:05am On Jul 19, 2015
Judeoxide:
Am not having any of these problem because I realise some very early especially the " living a life people want and not the one you want" I live my life the way I want..make mistakes fall stand endure and explode when needed..because after my sisters death...although it was hard but eventually I moved on...
But my point is if you live the life people want you to live, when you die, young or old,, you will be history and every body will forget you...just live you life biko...
Whether u live your own life or not, everyone becomes history after death. So I don't understand what u mean by the emboldened?
Re: Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Judeoxide(m): 8:17am On Jul 19, 2015
snakebeat:

Whether u live your own life or not, everyone becomes history after death. So I don't understand what u mean by the emboldened?
my point exactly...leave your life because you must definatly be forgotten

(1) (Reply)

How To Welcome Visitors / A Mothers Sacrifices, Touching Pix Of Mom Breastfeedn&makin Her Hair / I Am A House-husband…why Can’t My Family Accept That?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.