Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:57 AM

5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time (26938 Views)

Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business / @mufclatestnews Removes Editor Who Said Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen & Flesh / You Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen And Flesh - @mufclatestnews Blasts Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by teamchocolate: 5:12pm On Jul 19, 2015
Beg to disagree, the best job I ever had was an online application, the only reason I left the job was a personal reason which had to do with location n proximity to family...
tgmservice:
When I mean online search I don't mean applying directly thru the company websites I mean using online portals like naji, ng careers, 24careers, jobrapido and the rest. These are the mistake some of our youths make they solely depend on this portals for employment. Now am going to give u 5 good reasons why dat strategy is just a time waster.

1) The odds are against you
. When you apply for a job position no matter how specific it is, with d rate of unemployment in d country many other people apply also. For that position u fill is kind of hidden many other people not less than 1000 has also applied u can put ur chances of getting that job at 0.25% will u what to bet on that kind of odd. Even the job sites are fighting for odds against each other gone are d days where we had very few reliable sites lik jobberman, but nw they are everyway copying each other job posts. Relying on a portal for job is like relying on a blog for accurate news.

2)Some jobs posts are outdated
Most job sites don't pull down a job post immediately even when the job has been taken There is also a gud chance that job post u are aplying for might be outdated some portals fail to update their job post or intentionally leave them to drive more traffic to their sites even after the position might have been taken.

3) Most of the companies are fake
We hav all experienced this first hand ( d scam mails ) no need to talk more on this.

4) Some of the companies are not really recruiting
Some of the companies on job portals just fill job post just to follow NLC regulations of providing employment or advertising their business the truth is ( some ) are not really recruiting, these are unknown companies asking 4 ridiculous requirement. I will giv u an experience here I found a job post on a job portal of a company in ikeja looking for a network administrator I they put their address so I decided 2 go there mysef. On my investigation i discovered its just a small business that sells computers, when I asked them of the job they posted they said "which job" but later they admitted dey cud get me a job if I buy a computer from dem, they where just 2 small boys.

5) lastly it has never been about you
This is the most important reason, when u sign up to these portals u fill a lots of forms and along the line they encourage u why u should keep applying 4 jobs wit them with well crafted mails. But d truth is that In d job portal business there are 3 parties involved the job portal, the company posting job offer and u the applicant. In this chain u the applicant(middleman) gain the least if at all. The job portal gain from advertisement from the job posters or third party ads all they need u to do is just to keep cooming to their site if u get a job u are lucky if not they don't care.

Also the job advertisers gain in sense that they are advertising their business to lots of potential clients but u d applicant stand to gain the list consider urself lucky if u get a job.
Now

with this few reasons I hope I have convinced u why dropping ur cv to job portals an just hoping might just be a waste of time. I feel u stand a beta chance when u use ur networking power or a skilled u have acquired to do something or get a job 4 urself. Cheers.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 19, 2015
I had applied for online jobs several times in the past.None had flashed or text me to come for interview. It's only the companies I walked to and dropped my cv's that had call and invited me for interview.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by marldean(m): 5:18pm On Jul 19, 2015
I'd say if you're looking for a job don't be discouraged. Perhaps find a more creative way. The write up might be true I really don't know but it's too pessimistic.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by anigold(m): 5:19pm On Jul 19, 2015
tgmservice:
When I mean online search I don't mean applying directly thru the company websites I mean using online portals like naji, ng careers, 24careers, jobrapido and the rest. These are the mistake some of our youths make they solely depend on this portals for employment. Now am going to give u 5 good reasons why dat strategy is just a time waster.

. When you apply for a job position no matter how specific it is, with d rate of unemployment in d country many other people apply also. For that position u fill is kind of hidden many other people not less than 1000 has also applied u can put ur chances of getting that job at 0.25% will u what to bet on that kind of odd. Even the job sites are fighting for odds against each other gone are d days where we had very few reliable sites lik jobberman, but nw they are everyway copying each other job posts. Relying on a portal for job is like relying on a blog for accurate news.

Most job sites don't pull down a job post immediately even when the job has been taken There is also a gud chance that job post u are aplying for might be outdated some portals fail to update their job post or intentionally leave them to drive more traffic to their sites even after the position might have been taken.

We hav all experienced this first hand ( d scam mails ) no need to talk more on this.

Some of the companies on job portals just fill job post just to follow NLC regulations of providing employment or advertising their business the truth is ( some ) are not really recruiting, these are unknown companies asking 4 ridiculous requirement. I will giv u an experience here I found a job post on a job portal of a company in ikeja looking for a network administrator I they put their address so I decided 2 go there mysef. On my investigation i discovered its just a small business that sells computers, when I asked them of the job they posted they said "which job" but later they admitted dey cud get me a job if I buy a computer from dem, they where just 2 small boys.

This is the most important reason, when u sign up to these portals u fill a lots of forms and along the line they encourage u why u should keep applying 4 jobs wit them with well crafted mails. But d truth is that In d job portal business there are 3 parties involved the job portal, the company posting job offer and u the applicant. In this chain u the applicant(middleman) gain the least if at all. The job portal gain from advertisement from the job posters or third party ads all they need u to do is just to keep cooming to their site if u get a job u are lucky if not they don't care.

Also the job advertisers gain in sense that they are advertising their business to lots of potential clients but u d applicant stand to gain the list consider urself lucky if u get a job.
Now

with this few reasons I hope I have convinced u why dropping ur cv to job portals an just hoping might just be a waste of time. I feel u stand a beta chance when u use ur networking power or a skilled u have acquired to do something or get a job 4 urself. Cheers.

Job search online is like looking for your needle in the pacific ocean...
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Bookiemart01(f): 5:26pm On Jul 19, 2015
Marketing Manager and Sales Executives Needed Urgently.

Must have a B.SC or HBD degree with at least 3 years experience, preferably in the Hospitality Industry.

Send your resume to Matemi_2006@yahoo.com.

Please come with your credentials on Wednesday, 22 July, 2015 by 9am to SISSI HOTEL, number 46, oromineke Street, D/Line, Port Harcourt for an interview.

Please note that this is STRICTLY FOR THOSE RESIDING IN PORT HARCOURT AND D/LINE AXIS. DONT TRAVEL FROM OTHER STATES FOR THIS INTERVIEW.

Signed:
Managing Director.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by OmniSparrow: 5:28pm On Jul 19, 2015
dperon:
I have a feeling I knw dis dude. Am sure u'll remember me if it's trully u.

Lol. Afar u. Where Chinedu and Ebube?
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by ochiora(f): 5:34pm On Jul 19, 2015
So true. But my ppls say a ga-ekworo maka mgbagbu ghara ogu?(Will u opt not to go for war, for fear of being shot?)
Pls the Op that posted this on thursday, I really need you to clarify what u meant in your reply via email that the applicant should come with his CV and copies of articles, essays, etc written by him/her. Is it mandatory for an NYSC lawyer or an Intern Lawyer to have written articles, essays or what have you? Pls next time be explicit in your post before making one send his/her credentials, cuz I myself I'm very careful about who or where I send my credentials. Thanks.

Dear Friends,

We are recruiting Nysc lawyers and non-Nysc lawyers (willing to take internships) for an organisation in Abuja urgently in need of a lawyer.

If you are a qualified lawyer in Abuja, currently doing your youth service and looking for a place to serve or you have finished your Nysc and are willing to work as an intern for a period of time, please send your CV to ruth@ji4d.org.

Please do this urgently and include your status and the job you are applying for in the subject or body of the email i.e "NAME (CORPER/INTERN LAWYER)."

Interviews will begin from next week.

Thank you,

JID Team
(Quote) (Report) 3 Likes (Like) 2 Shares (Share)
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by reciprocal(f): 5:35pm On Jul 19, 2015
op you are so right.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by ifedayoifedapo(f): 5:49pm On Jul 19, 2015
As a matter of fact, I got my last job through jobrapido in December 2013. Let's just be prayerful in every step we take.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by dotune(m): 5:49pm On Jul 19, 2015
debris:
Me I have bought a dozen of brown envelope i put my CV and application letter I use leg distributing them everyday.
Lol...God will ans u very soon. It is by His grace tho.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Vaughan27: 5:50pm On Jul 19, 2015
dhamstar:
True! Self-employment is the key!!

Youths need to start thinking outside the box!!!
Wow self employment tell me what have u done 4 ur self in creating a job lipsrsealed
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by mayim(m): 5:51pm On Jul 19, 2015
Nah... i do not agree. guess op is talking out of his own personal experiences which were somewhat frustrating. 'sorry if that hurt'. i am a living witness, rewind 2 years ago, i was always applying online. some nights i could apply for up to 30 vacancies, it seemed like it was a waste of time, i was a marketer(contract staff) at a bank, yeah, you know that's no good experience. pay was meagre and stress was enormous. outta the blues i got a call from a multinational company. d tin be life film trick cheesy but here i am today living very fine. those applications paid off afterall, please note that i didnt know nobody at the company, my CV fitted their needs, i came and spanked the interview and the rest as they say is history. dont give up bro, keep applying!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by damiloladuke: 6:06pm On Jul 19, 2015
except if you are so lucky, you can get a good job

CHECK MY SIGNATURE TO READ MY HILARIOUS PERSONAL DIARY
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by engrjacuzzi: 6:09pm On Jul 19, 2015
most of the vacancies are from HMO- health management organization. they advertise various positions only for an applicant to discover it's not it.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by DCLXV1(m): 6:11pm On Jul 19, 2015
Check out Nigeria's No1 Job search engine. Find 34,000 jobs in Nigeria in one location. http://www.jobng.tk
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by tefund(m): 6:13pm On Jul 19, 2015
true talk na waste of time my broder
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by tefund(m): 6:17pm On Jul 19, 2015
Adaahjacob:
Only 10% real online jobs in Nigeria, out of 101
too gnerous..1%
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by tefund(m): 6:20pm On Jul 19, 2015
Vaughan27:

Wow self employment tell me what have u done 4 ur self in creating a job lipsrsealed
some people dont want to hear the truth
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by flames007(m): 6:29pm On Jul 19, 2015
obinna2nv:
We are doomed!!!
You are doomed not 'we'.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by prettyeyo: 6:32pm On Jul 19, 2015
First of all, I got my present job thru one of these job sites, so I believe it works! And secondly, as an unemployed youth or whatever, do you have a choice? Go ahead and apply you just never know!
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 19, 2015
Very true
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by luthorcorp: 6:40pm On Jul 19, 2015
ur destiny matters a lot than just running around job sites giving them traffic
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 19, 2015
tgmservice:

Now

Speak 4 urself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 19, 2015
obinna2nv:
We are doomed!!!
...you and who undecided
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Chigorkizz(m): 7:05pm On Jul 19, 2015
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by AmeLonRo(m): 7:25pm On Jul 19, 2015
Job seekers should never give up. Keep applying using online and any other contacts that you have. It shall come to pass that you shall be gainfully employed. The more the interviews the more the chances. Believe God. Things will get better in Jesus mighty name.Amen.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by DWJOBScom(m): 7:37pm On Jul 19, 2015
60% of all the jobs offers I have gotten have all been online and they are companies like Diageo, GE, SCB, MAERSK, DBN, Zenith bank etc - I pass their test , attend interviews and maybe change my mind. I simply identify the right sites and apply.

My present Job was via online and it's pretty cool and the other ones I have been applying and rejecting them whenever they call cos I now want somewhere close to my house.

These jobs are career based jobs with great benefits
*dont give up - make ur CV simple and they will come running

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Donpeak(f): 7:45pm On Jul 19, 2015
You said the truth @ Op, but what do we do? I am tired sef...
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by infinitemiles: 7:52pm On Jul 19, 2015
SMART CLICK Data Resellers
Buy cheap data bundle for your android phones, Samsung, iPad, iPhone, bb10, Nokia, windows and modem.

For Etisalat
250mb @ N500 (Airtime Payment)
500mb @ N700 (Airtime Payment)
750mb @ N900(Airtime Payment)
1GB @ N1200 (Airtime Payment)

For Mtn
1GB @ N1200 (Airtime Payment)

Contact
Call/Whatsapp: 08036211097

Note: All plans are valid for I month

Tell ur friends and get a 5% discount on your first subscription.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by brainbox2014(m): 8:01pm On Jul 19, 2015
One's experience defines one's philosophy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Federal Civil Service Commission CV Submition And Registration / NLNG Online Assessment Test Invite 2023. / Pls Help Eeeeee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.