Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,329 members, 7,819,132 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

Sir, Pastor Or Daddy, Which Is Scriptural. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sir, Pastor Or Daddy, Which Is Scriptural. (745 Views)

Are Muslims Going To Heaven? - Daddy Freeze Gives An Answer / Scriptural Proof God Wants Us Wealthy. / Quote Your Favourite Scriptural Verse Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sir, Pastor Or Daddy, Which Is Scriptural. by phoneport(m): 8:58am On Jul 19, 2015
And why should an elderly man and woman of about 60 years and above be calling a young pastor of 28 to 35 years old daddy.
I find it not scriptural, a times some of this young y2k pastors are now taking it too far, and will even demand it from members.
Well may be am wrong.
Re: Sir, Pastor Or Daddy, Which Is Scriptural. by Nobody: 9:51am On Jul 19, 2015
Father is more scriptural
Re: Sir, Pastor Or Daddy, Which Is Scriptural. by An2elect2(f): 9:53am On Jul 19, 2015
Sir
Re: Sir, Pastor Or Daddy, Which Is Scriptural. by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 19, 2015
phoneport:
And why should an elderly man and women of about 60 and above be call a young pastor of 28 to 35 years, daddy.
I find it not scriptural a times because some of this young y2k pastors are now taking it too much, and will even demand it from members.
Well may be am wrong.

I agree with you, the elderly calling their junior daddy is silly.

An elder should be an upright person who is advanced in years and thus experienced enough to guide and cater for the younger believers.

As for a Pastor having a title this was never the case in the early church. Pastor is a ministry to shepherd and care for the sheep and was never meant to be a title like CEO , Director etc. All these titles are man made and meant to lord if over God's children.

A Pastor should be called brother period or by his name if he is a peer (or junior ) and Sir if he is an elder.
Re: Sir, Pastor Or Daddy, Which Is Scriptural. by MuttleyLaff: 11:16am On Jul 19, 2015
phoneport:
And why should an elderly man and women of about 60 and above be call a young pastor of 28 to 35 years, daddy.
"an elderly man and women of about 60 and above calling a young pastor of 28 to 35 years, daddy"
is what is known in the field, as the Discovery of Ignorance

phoneport:
I find it not scriptural a times because some of this young y2k pastors are now taking it too much, and will even demand it from members.
Pride and conceit? There is nothing new under the sun

We need to remember what Jesus said in Matthew 23:8-9
where He advised against being called father and/or let anyone be called rabbi (i.e. teacher or master)

Matthew 23:8-9
8"Don't let anyone call you 'Rabbi,' for you have only one teacher, and all of you are equal as brothers and sisters.
9And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven

The reason why Jesus said this, was because of the prevailing culture in Judaism then
particularly where the Pharisees pompously felt important than necessary, when addressed as rabbi (i.e. teacher or master) or called father
whomsoever not complying with this or who doesnt address them as rabbi (i.e. teacher or master) or call them father
will experience the Pharisees' extreme anger or displeasure and have their names inked down in the Pharisees' little black books

Jesus was aware of the Pharisees' egotism, their intellectual or spiritual overestimations, their self-importance, their displays of exaggerated dignity, and pretence to know everything, that He touched on the issue and addressed it with Matthew 23:8-9

Some will find it startling that there is no mention of the word ''pastor'' in the bible (i.e. New Testament).
The word ''pastor'' doesn’t occur, at all in the bible (i.e. New Testament),
in fact, ''pastor'' with a ''s'' does, but, interestingly, this "pastor" with a ''s'' (i.e. pastors) occurs only one time!
Knowing the roles of elders in ekklesia (i.e. ''church'') helps understand WHY this "word ''pastor'' doesn’t occur, at all in the bible" matter.

None of the three (i.e. none of Sir, Pastor Or Daddy) is scriptural

phoneport:
Well may be am wrong.
Quite the opposite, you are, actually very right.
You're correct about noticing this egotism which is unscriptural.

OREMUSSANCTUS:
Father is more scriptural
Would you mind sharing quotations from the Bible why "Father is more scriptural"

An2elect2:
Sir
Since it was a question of which is scriptural
Would you mind sharing quotations from the Bible why you chose Sir from "Sir, Pastor Or Daddy" as scriptural

1 Like

Re: Sir, Pastor Or Daddy, Which Is Scriptural. by TUMIC(m): 3:30pm On Jul 19, 2015
Their Father, only God is my DADDY.
Not one egocentric man who is acting over-board, and was probably never called by God.
In Nigeria we always do our things out of hand.
For me i either call you Sir, or Pastor. Otun.

(1) (Reply)

Biblical Perspectives Of Dominion Theology / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 21/08/15 / Narrow Is The Way To Eternal Life - An Explanation Of What Jesus Really Meant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.