Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,519 members, 7,857,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 12 June 2024 at 06:48 AM

Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. (33714 Views)

Campaign Poster Of Bola Tinubu For Senate Under SDP In 1993 (Throwback Photo) / Throwback Photo Of Abiola, Atiku Before SDP Presidential Primaries In 1993 / Attahiru Jega Disappointed Me, Says Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by shafanik: 12:08pm On Jul 19, 2015
grin. See the windscreen GOOGLES. Reminds me of those days.
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Beremx(f): 12:10pm On Jul 19, 2015
luvmijeje:

Thanks.

FOR ATTAHIRU JEGA: A TRIBUTE
On January 11, 1993, Newswatch named Attahiru Jega its
Man of the Year. He was barely 30 years old when he had
been elected president of the Academic Staff Union of
Universities in 1987 and successfully led the union in its
confrontation with the military regime. Along the way, he
endured detention while resisting incredible pressure including

You can check his Wikipedia page for more
that regime’s famed capacity to co-opt opponents and the
timelessly Nigerian appeal to not embarrass a government
headed by one’s ‘brother’, in this case, a fellow Northern
Muslim. Jega’s ASUU prevailed after a gruelling standoff in
1992 earning the concessions it was demanding for
improvements in university education while he cemented a
reputation for integrity and principled activism.
Jega’s most recent job as chair of the Independent National
Electoral Commission (INEC) came to an end a few weeks
ago. Few people leave such a high-pressure job with their
reputations intact. Jega handled the task of refereeing
Nigeria’s politicians with remarkable grace and fortitude and,
in the process, presided over an epoch-making election that
has gone some way towards restoring confidence in our
democratic possibilities. In overseeing the polls, Jega
withstood considerable pressure from vested interests to
sabotage the nation’s rendezvous with destiny.
It is interesting to be able to trace a line of congruence over a
span of nearly thirty years between the adventures of the
activist academic in his thirties and the dignified 58 year-old
public servant trying to make the most of one of the most
difficult jobs in the world. Consistency in public life is such a
rare trait. Not everyone has been able to transit from civil
society activism to holding public office creditably. Professor
Jega is a worthy example of a high performing activist and
high performing public servant; a role model in a society
desperately in need of role models. He is my Man of the Year.

2 Likes

Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 19, 2015
Jega? I have my reservations on him
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Neduzze5(m): 12:16pm On Jul 19, 2015
Bootybuttchic:
he has alwaya had a good reputation........i just wish he was a bit not so lenient...............he just let many rigging slip during that election,especially own.......thank God buhari won sha

hit me some likes please.....in my 20s.....happy birthday to me cheesy

Wanted to attack you seriously for your comment up there but since it's your birthday, I'll let it slide.

Happy Birthday to a Wonderful Person yet unknown to me. Upload your picture na so that we can see you.
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Timoleon(m): 12:16pm On Jul 19, 2015
philips70:
Yes, we all knew him then. He gave hell to the military government of Babangida then as ASUU president and never compromised. He is the only northerner I can see with the integrity of PMB. If you are clean you are clean, no two ways about it and undebatable.

Tor! Shikena!
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by luvmijeje(f): 12:20pm On Jul 19, 2015
Beremx, thanks once again.
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by richybanky(m): 12:21pm On Jul 19, 2015
mcyemite:
1993 babangida regime.? undecided undecidedare u high?
Lols.. I tink u ar d one dat is definitely high on something grin grin
Babangida left power 1993, av u forgotten June 12 election in 1993

1 Like

Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by karllemah44(m): 12:31pm On Jul 19, 2015
Mtcheeew
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by lexy2014: 12:36pm On Jul 19, 2015
Taylor86:
The man dey shine teeths like say him dey on toothpaste advert

Jega is the architect of the problem we have in naija right now

he couldn't foresee the incompetency in buhari

man of the year ni.

woman of the century ko
So what was he supposed 2do about buharis incompetence?
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by tcatego(m): 12:49pm On Jul 19, 2015
Taylor86:

man of the year ni.

woman of the century ko
Enemy of progress back off is too late grin grin grin
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by charlos14: 12:58pm On Jul 19, 2015
Beremx:
cool. All hail the true Hero of Democracy!

Lalasticlala,let's celebrate this man once more!

Credited to Jarus

True hero of democracy indeed. God bless you professor.
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Beremx(f): 1:11pm On Jul 19, 2015
luvmijeje:
Beremx, thanks once again.
smiley smiley
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by kazmanbanjoko(m): 1:42pm On Jul 19, 2015
He really deserves to be honoured.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Lero15(m): 2:20pm On Jul 19, 2015
Bootybuttchic:
he has alwaya had a good reputation........i just wish he was a bit not so lenient...............he just let many rigging slip during that election,especially own.......thank God buhari won sha

Happy Birthday!
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by may0001: 2:24pm On Jul 19, 2015
theV0ice:

He was ASUU president who battled The military regime of IBB to a standstill over the poor service condition of ASUU members and the falling standards of our universities.....AND HE WON
Man of integrity till date. Orubebe could not change it.
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Bootybuttchic(f): 2:56pm On Jul 19, 2015
Lero15:
Happy Birthday!
thank u

1 Like

Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Bootybuttchic(f): 2:59pm On Jul 19, 2015
Neduzze5:

Wanted to attack you seriously for your comment up there but since it's your birthday, I'll let it slide.

Happy Birthday to a Wonderful Person yet unknown to me. Upload your picture na so that we can see you.
thanks...done dat
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Bootybuttchic(f): 2:59pm On Jul 19, 2015
Whobedatte:
Overall, he conducted/oversaw a credible poll. Kudos to him

Happy bornday. May the best of your past, be the worst of your future

Nairalanders please follow through my signature for quality, top notch print services+speedy delivery #PRINTEDGE
#FLEXOGRAPHY
#SCREEN
#SHEET
#WEBFED
#PRINTFINISHING
#PERFECTBINDING
#STICKERS
#VEHICLEWRAP
ETC
thank uuuu
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Felitsa187(f): 3:11pm On Jul 19, 2015
Taylor86:

man of the year ni.

woman of the century ko
Ode!!!

1 Like

Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by daveP(m): 3:24pm On Jul 19, 2015
Bootybuttchic:

(continues watching from the corner he's been watching for months. Writes a short HBd poem for her, post it with some flowers. Spies wristwatch en disappears for a season) smiley
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 19, 2015
what did he do then?
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Mekky05(m): 4:55pm On Jul 19, 2015
Taylor86:

man of the year ni.

woman of the century ko
. I've read some of your comments in other threads... HATE filled comments! Ɣ☺ΰ need to check yourself bro.
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by gebest: 5:03pm On Jul 19, 2015
He looks more handsome now dat he is old dan 22 years ago.
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by mickey45: 6:58pm On Jul 19, 2015
Taylor86:

man of the year ni.

woman of the century ko

If he had (not to agree to your saying PMB's incompetent) seen Buhari's "incompetency" should he have skewed the results against him?
I do not think so
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by TRUTHTOPOWER: 7:53pm On Jul 19, 2015
efilefun:
So sure the 86 behind ur moniker is definitely not your birth year cuz u spew trash like a kid... Grow up boy...

And what is 1986 in Nigerian politics? Senior? if it is by the year of birth only 1950s above can debate, 1960s can discuss, 1970s can question, 1980s...? I guess cheer. if you look at nairaland we have more cheerleaders. Your composure in the proceedings determines where you belong!
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by infinitemiles: 7:58pm On Jul 19, 2015
SMART CLICK Data Resellers
Buy cheap data bundle for your android phones, Samsung, iPad, iPhone, bb10, Nokia, windows and modem.

For Etisalat
250mb @ N500 (Airtime Payment)
500mb @ N700 (Airtime Payment)
750mb @ N900(Airtime Payment)
1GB @ N1200 (Airtime Payment)

For Mtn
1GB @ N1200 (Airtime Payment)

Contact
Call/Whatsapp: 08036211097

Note: All plans are valid for I month

Tell ur friends and get a 5% discount on your first subscription.
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by may0001: 8:02pm On Jul 19, 2015
sad shocked angry[url][/url] shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. by Fulaman198(m): 5:52pm On Jul 24, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fayose Inspects Roads In Ado Ekiti, Looks Unworried (Photos) / The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics / Bode George On Okada Ban: Sanwo-olu Acting Like Someone From Stone Age

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.