Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Agnostic/atheist Married Or Engaged To A Religious Partner? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Agnostic/atheist Married Or Engaged To A Religious Partner? (763 Views)

Pls Help! I'm In A Religious Dilemma (I Don't Know Where I Stand Religious Wise) / As An Agnostic Atheist, What Do I Swear With At The Court? / My Fellow Agnostic And Atheist, What If We Got It All Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agnostic/atheist Married Or Engaged To A Religious Partner? by ghpsi: 3:01pm On Jul 19, 2015
I've been agnostic for the last three years. My partner at the moment is very much pentecostally Christian and has brought up the issue of faith as a question because we're looking to settle down.

I get that love isn't everything, but me and this person have a rather vibrant relationship but differences in faith are screwing things up: I'm not ready to sacrifice my unbelief just yet and she wants a partner with whom she can pray together in the morning & raise godly kids. I don't care much about faith but she's insisting.

My last relationship ended because of differing views on faith. I live down south in a rather conservative environment so it's understandable when them girls tell me they'd ignore love and a romantic connection that's unforced for a so-called "God fearing man". It could be the difference between her family accepting or throwing her out.

So, here's my question: Are there agnostics/atheists here engaged to or married to religious partners? How did you work it out? What problems do you have to deal with on a regular day? How did you win your partner's family acceptance?
Re: Agnostic/atheist Married Or Engaged To A Religious Partner? by Sunnystooth(m): 3:13pm On Jul 19, 2015
ghpsi:
I've been agnostic for the last three years. My partner at the moment is very much pentecostally Christian and has brought up the issue of faith as a question because we're looking to settle down.

I get that love isn't everything, but me and this person have a rather vibrant relationship but differences in faith are screwing things up: I'm not ready to sacrifice my unbelief just yet and she wants a partner with whom she can pray together in the morning & raise godly kids. I don't care much about faith but she's insisting.

My last relationship ended because of differing views on faith. I live down south in a rather conservative environment so it's understandable when them girls tell me they'd ignore love and a romantic connection that's unforced for a so-called "God fearing man". It could be the difference between her family accepting or throwing her out.

So, here's my question: Are there agnostics/atheists here engaged to or married to religious partners? How did you work it out? What problems do you have to deal with on a regular day? How did you win your partner's family acceptance?
It's kinda weird though to be faced with this stuffs especially in this part of the world... I dont even know what i should give you as an advice, because i'm in thesame boat like you. Though for now, i'm not into any girl for a relationship, i just keep hoping that when i am ready to settle down, i'll find someone that would be into me no matter my religious belief (or unbelief as the case may be). Someone more secular and realistic with life.
Re: Agnostic/atheist Married Or Engaged To A Religious Partner? by Idrismusty97(m): 3:19pm On Jul 19, 2015
Of course they would be, lots of them. Women tend to be more religious especially in our society so you really have no choice, you will eventually have to settle down with one of them. The best any Agnostic/Atheists can do is to make your view very clear from the beginning so she would know what she is already into and that she is at fault if she tries to enforce her beliefs on you or the kids.
Re: Agnostic/atheist Married Or Engaged To A Religious Partner? by An2elect2(f): 3:55pm On Jul 19, 2015
eeya
Re: Agnostic/atheist Married Or Engaged To A Religious Partner? by Misanthrope: 4:04pm On Jul 19, 2015
Female Atheists are really hard to find in Nigeria.
Re: Agnostic/atheist Married Or Engaged To A Religious Partner? by DrLazDevitan: 8:56pm On Jul 19, 2015
ghpsi:

Let not the fruit of your learning hinders the path you choose,forth little are the conscience of your learning to your life.

Atheism is a sense of thought,it does not know you.You just know it,it is impractical sometimes.

If the rafts of a basket are weak,it doesn't mean-it can never carry water even when exchange with newer ones.
Re: Agnostic/atheist Married Or Engaged To A Religious Partner? by EvilBrain1(m): 9:32pm On Jul 19, 2015
@OP

Life is short. I advice you not to waste your time with someone who doesn't respect you enough to not try and force her bullshiat down your throat. The moment you get married or have a kid, you'll be stuck with her. Nothing is better than religion at causing strife within families. It's not worth the stress.

I think you should take your time and look for an atheist chick (they exist), or a religious one who is amenable to reason and evidence. Plus many people go to church for social reasons and remain sceptical about all the magic nonsense.

It is possible to have a successful relationship with a religious person, but she has to be willing to respect your position and compromise when it comes to things like how to raise your children and so on. Unfortunately, both Christianity and Islam teach their people never to compromise, and demonize all contrary opinions so good luck finding middle ground with a true believer.
Re: Agnostic/atheist Married Or Engaged To A Religious Partner? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jul 19, 2015
48 Laws of Power

No. 38 - *Think as you like but behave like others*

'if you make a show of going against the times, flaunting your unconventional ideas and unorthodox ways, people will think that you only want attention and that you look down upon them.
They will find a way to punish you for making them feel inferior. It is far safer to blend in and nurture the common touch.
Share your originality only with tolerant friends and those who are sure to appreciate your uniqueness'

@OP - use your head, play along and achieve what you desire in life. !!

as am typing this, my wife and children are busy with night prayers inside room, singing, clapping, and shouting to an empty sky grin

4 Likes

Re: Agnostic/atheist Married Or Engaged To A Religious Partner? by cold(m): 11:01pm On Jul 19, 2015
I'm in the same boat too. My missus is a hardcore born again Christian,while i'm a hardcore Atheist. I respect and tolerate her beliefs and she has managed to armtwist me into attending some services and crusades where i stuck out like sore thumb watching them gyrating,praying endlessly and some speaking some gibberish in what they refer to as tongue speaking.
The issue of our differing paths have come up severally and i've made it categorically clear i'm never returning to the faith knowing what i know now. But i've proven to her one doesn't need to be a Christian to do what is right or be principled. She often says 'you're good man,a good father with a good heart. All you need is god to complete you'. And i reply 'sorry aint gonna happen. Not in this lifetime'.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

An Angel Fell Today / Mr Obutu Brought Back To Life After Two Days By Young Olumba / I Am No More A Muslim-ghanaian Actress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.