Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,255 members, 7,953,955 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:44 AM

I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One (1412 Views)

Lady Justifies Why Her Dad Is Married To 6 Wives, Says He Is Too Cute (Photos) / Zimbabwean Woman Married To Another Woman For 3 Years Just Found Out (pic) / Nigerian Man Married To 57 Women,150 Grandchildren (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by redeemedinJC15: 1:09am On Jul 20, 2015
Please someone tell me the truth, because I do not think anyone is telling me the whole and total truth.

What does it mean for an Elder person to postrate before a younger person? I was told it means a curse was placed on the younger one by the older person. I was also told that is not true, that it not a good thing though... it is a topic that has caused a lot of problems for my family and I want someone to be honest with me. I gather that it is an insult?? I really wish someone (an unbiased person) would explain this thing to me in details.

Thank you so much and God bless
Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by bola4dprec(m): 1:13am On Jul 20, 2015
superstition reasons was that no prove whether is a curse or not
Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by nochildsplay(m): 1:18am On Jul 20, 2015
[b][/b]I was told it means a curse was placed on the younger one by the older person. I was also told that is not true, that it not a good thing though...

Well it's not a curse per say ..... But I belief it's more acceptable for a younger one to postrate for the elder one but if reverse is the case and the younger one feels accepts such from the elder probably cos of his influence or whatever. Then it's not acceptable.
Not really a curse it's just disrespectful for a younger one to expect such from and elder one

1 Like

Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by Talented90(m): 1:22am On Jul 20, 2015
WTf? Which country? Cos I'm sure, that's not in the Zoo(Nigeria). . . Something tells me you're just looking for an attention. . .

2 Likes

Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by efemenaslectura: 1:22am On Jul 20, 2015
Those are all false nothing will happen to you. They're just trying to get you scared for whatever reason grin maybe so you can become stewpidly submissive and then they'll take advantage of your ignorance grin

however in yoruba land an elder sometimes or in some situations kneel down for the younger one maybe to beg him for something he knows hes not willing to release. The kneeling is just to compell him to release the thing so when he or she kneels down for the younger one.the younger one usually kneels down with him or makes him stand up. It happens between mother and Child, elder siblings to younger siblings etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by ivyT(f): 2:10am On Jul 20, 2015
Talented90:
WTf? Which country? Cos I'm sure, that's not in the Zoo(Nigeria). . . Something tells me you're just looking for an attention. . .

shiit! mehnn ,so na zoo Nigerians dey live?

#WeDonSuffer
Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by tmanis(m): 2:56am On Jul 20, 2015
Talented90:
too early to be drunk nah...
Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by redeemedinJC15: 3:15am On Jul 20, 2015
nochildsplay:
[b][/b]I was told it means a curse was placed on the younger one by the older person. I was also told that is not true, that it not a good thing though...

Well it's not a curse per say ..... But I belief it's more acceptable for a younger one to postrate for the elder one but if reverse is the case and the younger one feels accepts such from the elder probably cos of his influence or whatever. Then it's not acceptable.
Not really a curse it's just disrespectful for a younger one to expect such from and elder one

I wish someone would give me a serious answer because it caused a serious problem in my marriage, he expected I was to defend him and he took a serious offense to me not doing so. (Yoruba) Till this day (over 5 years later) he is still angry with the Elder who prostrated to him. He acts like it was the biggest insult in the world and I seriously want to understand to truth. Thank you for your time.
Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by redeemedinJC15: 3:19am On Jul 20, 2015
bola4dprec:
superstition reasons was that no prove whether is a curse or not

I'm not worried about whether or not it is a 'curse" but moreso, I am just trying to understand why the young man was so offended by the gesture of the Elder. what does this gesture really mean to Yuroba people? I seriously don't get it.
Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by redeemedinJC15: 3:24am On Jul 20, 2015
tmanis:
too early to be drunk nah...

i'm a white American trying to understand a Yoruba man picking such a heavy offense to this gesture. I seriously want to understand what it means in your culture, because I have been baffled by his reaction and am still wondering after 5 years why he is still seriously upset by this? He won't fully explain it to me, he is still mad that I didn't defend him...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by tmanis(m): 3:29am On Jul 20, 2015
redeemedinJC15:

i'm a white American trying to understand a Yoruba man picking such a heavy offense to this gesture. I seriously want to understand what it means in your culture, because I have been baffled by his reaction and am still wondering after 5 years why he is still seriously upset by this? He won't fully explain it to me, he is still mad that I didn't defend him...
yorubas believe that the elder should be respected by the younger... prostrating ones self is a sign of showing respect to a person, if the oposite happens, the younger would be seen as disrespectful and rude...

2 Likes

Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by redeemedinJC15: 3:44am On Jul 20, 2015
efemenaslectura:
Those are all false nothing will happen to you. They're just trying to get you scared for whatever reason grin maybe so you can become stewpidly submissive and then they'll take advantage of your ignorance grin

however in yoruba land an elder sometimes or in some situations kneel down for the younger one maybe to beg him for something he knows hes not willing to release. The kneeling is just to compell him to release the thing so when he or she kneels down for the younger one.the younger one usually kneels down with him or makes him stand up. It happens between mother and Child, elder siblings to younger siblings etc

is there any reason or circumstance that would make him feel so offended by this gesture? he acts like it was the biggest offense in the world.

and I wouldn't be surprised if he is trying to take advantage of my ignorance. thank you for your reply

1 Like

Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by redeemedinJC15: 3:49am On Jul 20, 2015
tmanis:

yorubas believe that the elder should be respected by the younger... prostrating ones self is a sign of showing respect to a person, if the oposite happens, the younger would be seen as disrespectful and rude...

thank you
Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by baby124: 4:35am On Jul 20, 2015
If an older person prostrates for a younger person, the older person is mocking you. Maybe you refused to greet, so they greeted you as a big madam with heavy mockery by prostrating for you. Since you feel you are too big or lack manners
Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by redeemedinJC15: 4:56am On Jul 20, 2015
baby124:
If an older person prostrates for a younger person, the older person is mocking you. Maybe you refused to greet, so they greeted you as a big madam with heavy mockery by prostrating for you. Since you feel you are too big or lack manners

no, I was not there. it was him that the Elder prostrated for him.
Re: I Need Someone To Tell Me The Truth - I'm Not Nigerian, But Was Married To One by sainty2k3(m): 9:59am On Jul 20, 2015
redeemedinJC15:
Please someone tell me the truth, because I do not think anyone is telling me the whole and total truth.

What does it mean for an Elder person to postrate before a younger person? I was told it means a curse was placed on the younger one by the older person. I was also told that is not true, that it not a good thing though... it is a topic that has caused a lot of problems for my family and I want someone to be honest with me. I gather that it is an insult?? I really wish someone (an unbiased person) would explain this thing to me in details.

Thank you so much and God bless

Except there is a genuine reason (when an elderly person has cheated the younger ones or begging for forgiveness) if an elder just prostrate for a younger person it is a curse and ,right implies that the younger will die before the elder

(1) (Reply)

Read 7 Intimate Secrets Women Wish Men Knew / If You Played This,you Are Not Part Of Indomie Generation(photo) / 10 Insane Stories of People Who Faked Their own Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.