Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,825 members, 7,810,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. (3605 Views)

5 Most Important Things You Need To Know About Speaking In Tongue / 5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues / Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by taiwo850629: 11:11pm On Jul 22, 2015
Shadowripper is correct.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 22, 2015
David0:

Hmmm...funny, so that even the speaker doesn't understand what he himself speaks.

My pastor has told us many times during prayer sessions to start praying in tongue. And I ask myself, y shud I be saying things dat I personally don't understand.
I've always believed speaking in tongues has to do wit language, a known language. God gave some gift of speaking in tongues and some the gift of interpretation of tongues.
every believer can speak or is able to speak with tonguesMark16:15-17

My question is simply, what is the essence of the speaking in tongues?
Is it for us to communicate wt God?
tongues is meant for communication with God.,to minister tongues to a congregation,there has to be an interpretation.

I tot its to help us win souls by speaking in languages that people will understand. Such dat when u move from Nigeria to Japan, u won't have problems preaching the gospel in Japanese even tho u had no prior knowledge of how to speak japanese.
tongues is not for preaching the Gospel,its for edification of the speaker himself,1cor14:4,Jude20.
Tongues edify you alone,interpretation of tongues edifies the church.

Anyways...Act 2 is enof for me.
Acts 2 alone not enough,One must have a precise understanding of any/every bible subject.
You must study everything related to tongues,from Isaiah's prophecy-Joel2:28-mark16:15-17-acts2,acts8,acts10,acts19-1cor12,1cor14
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 22, 2015
michaelwilli:
To those who say there is no account of men understanding tongues, is acts chapter 2 missing from your bible?
Go and read acts 2,line Upon line and precept upon precept then compare it to other accounts about tongues in the book of Acts.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jul 22, 2015
Guys forget about speaking in tongues and preach the Gospel of Christ.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by michaelwilli(m): 12:17pm On Jul 23, 2015
For dose dat try to ignore acts 2, re u saying acts 2 conveys incomplete information or is probably a hoax?
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 23, 2015
starlingslimnet:
Guys forget about speaking in tongues and preach the Gospel of Christ.
i have said it several times,you despise tongues so much,we must not forget the redemptive realities in Christ.

All that God has done in Christ is to give us his Spirit.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 23, 2015
sportsmaster:

i have said it several times,you despise tongues so much,we must not forget the redemptive realities in Christ.

All that God has done in Christ is to give us his Spirit.
And his Spirit is known by the fruit.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by nynbrada: 12:30am On Jul 24, 2015
michaelwillti:
For dose dat try to ignore acts 2, re u saying acts 2 conveys incomplete information or is probably a hoax?

My brother, if you are a christian and you sincerely want to learn, then you will do well to keep an open mind.

Back to your question, no one is trying to ignore what happened in Acts 2, neither are we trying to say that it conveys an incomplete information and much worse being a hoax. But the problem we have with Acts 2 is the false interpretation that has been given to it.

And this has to do with the teaching that the apostles and the others that were with them on the day of pentecost actually spoke in a known language after that the Holy Ghost had come upon them, but unfortunately the reverse is the case as they actually spoke in an unkwon tongue. And the only way for us to ascertain this is by applying biblical injuction that admonishes us on how to dissect and analyize scriptural incidents.

And the way to do this is by reverting back to the scripture.
2 Peter 1:20, Says that.....Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
1 Timothy 6:19 Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before 2 or 3 witnesses. You can also check Deut. 19vs15 and Num. 35vs30. The reason for these scriptures is for us to understand that in explaining the Bible we should learn to compare scripture with scriptures.
Also note 1 Cor. 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
The question now is what spiritual thing are we trying to compare. Well from our on going discussion we are trying to estalish what language was spoken by the apostles on the day of pentecost. Was it a known language like they are trying to make us beleive in their explanation of Acts 2:5-11....that the people heard them speak in their own tongues wherein they were born....Pathians, Medes, Elemites, etc, the wonderful work of God...or was it as some of us has been positing an unknown tongue, esoteric in nature, as found in 1 Cor. 14.
So in establishing what language they spoke, we will have to compare other scenarios in the Bible where people received the Holy Ghost,
Acts 8 provides a situation where Philip went down to Samaria and preached Christ unto them. And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which he spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did..vs 14..Now when the apostle which were at Jerusalem heard that samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John.
Vs 15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them that they might recevie the Holy Ghost.
Vs 16 For as yet he was falling upon non of them..
Vs 17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
This is the second time in the Bible that we will be hearing about people receiving the Holy Ghost, though the scripture here is silent on what particular language they spoke, the only thing we can ascertain is that the Apostle prayed for them to receive the Holy Ghost.

To be continued....
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by nynbrada: 2:45am On Jul 24, 2015
Continued....

The 3rd time we will be hearing of someone receiving the Holy Ghost was when Ananias went to pray for paul(saul) to receive his sight and be filled with the Holy Ghost and again no intimation of what language he spoke, after he got filled with the Holy Ghost.

And finally when Peter went to preach to Cornelius Acts 10:44-46 while Peter yet spake these words , the Holy Ghost fell on them which heard the word.
Vs 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Vs 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.

Now from these portion of scripture we just cited, there is no gain saying the fact that the language spoken in tongues here certainly was not a known language as some people love to claim. But rather an unknown tongue. The following points will disprove that theory that the apostles spoke in a known foreign language:
(i) Cornelius was obviousy or probably a Roman.
(ii) He certainly wasn't a Jew. Vs 28.
(iii) Vs 46...Has it that those that came with Peter heard them speak with tongues and glorified God. The question now is can any proponent of known forerign language sincerely say it was a known foreign language that they spoke. And if it was how did Peter and the fellow jews that came with him get to know the meaning of those foreign language seeing that it wasn't their native hebrew language.
And if it was the hebrew language that they spoke, this wouln't be much of a miracle, as one would expect that Cornelius and those with him should be able to pick one or two things in the hebrew language since they reside in Isreal.

So from the forgoing it is obvious that what they spoke was an unknown tongue.

To be continued....
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 9:10am On Jul 24, 2015
shadowripper:
I am back!

Speaking in tongues is a special kind of a Gift of the Holy Spirit that was once made manifest for the first time after Christ. And not to surprise you, there are three kinds of speaking in tongues...

1. This is the kind that was practiced in the upper room. It is when you speak in a totally different language that is understandable by someone from another place. Like a Japaneese that has never been to Africa or studied any African language speaking Akoko language from Ondo State.
2. This is the kind that was practiced when religion and revival was on fire back in the days. It is still in practice in some other churches that are on fire like some CAC and so. It is when you speak in tongues directly heard from God whereby someone in the congregation or sometimes the person speaking in tongues interprets it cos without interpretation, it does not edify the church.
3. This is the kind that is most practiced in churches today whereby it is claimed that they/we are making groanings that is only understood in the spirit as said in Jude 20, Ephesians 6:18 and most importantly Romans 8:26.

Hope I have been able to help a little

so saying rubbish or rapping rubbish is the gift of the holy spirit which you can't see but accepted a gift from,sounds legit!

I tell you what, serial killers,rapists,pimps(pastors I call them pimps),Armed robber,Military who kill to defend borders etc and you got same gift of speaking nonsensical rubbish out your mouth.

Save yourself ma'am,you pro-active!
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by MizJanet(f): 10:08am On Jul 24, 2015
sportsmaster:

there is no such thing as three kinds of speaking with tongues,i dont know where you got that from,
i would like you to explain
1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him[b]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

[b]Tongues was never meant to be understood by humans.
i have explained this subject in many of my threads.

https://www.nairaland.com/2385771/complete-understanding-subject-tongues

Shut up ! @bold, If no man understands and tongue is never meant to be understood , why did your bible now said in Act 2:8 that the people hear them speaking in the tongue in WHICH THEY ARE BORN

All the tongues spoken in act 2:8 are listed there , Can you tell me the name of that gibberish your god of men spit from the pulpit ? And which part of the world is it spoken ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jul 25, 2015
MizJanet:

Shut up ! @bold, If no man understands and tongue is never meant to be understood , why did your bible now said in Act 2:8 that the people hear them speaking in the tongue in WHICH THEY ARE BORN

All the tongues spoken in act 2:8 are listed there , Can you tell me the name of that gibberish your god of men spit from the pulpit ? And which part of the world is it spoken ?
the last thing i want to do on this forum is try to explain bible subjects/topics to unbelievers.
I could teach and explain bit by bit,but unbelievers are not worthy of it.
The only thing i can teach an unbeliever is to SALVATION,
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jul 26, 2015
starlingslimnet:
And his Spirit is known by the fruit.

Did you cut out the entire book of Acts from your bible.
The sign that accompanied the infilling of the Spirit is speaking with tongues.

Just admit the bolded
I simply dont wanna speak in tongues because i hate and despise it .
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 26, 2015
sportsmaster:

Did you cut out the entire book of Acts from your bible.
The sign that accompanied the infilling of the Spirit is speaking with tongues.

Just admit the bolded
I simply dont wanna speak in tongues because i hate and despise it .
Guy take your time and reason my post carefully
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 26, 2015
shadowripper:
I am back!

Speaking in tongues is a special kind of a Gift of the Holy Spirit that was once made manifest for the first time after Christ. And not to surprise you, there are three kinds of speaking in tongues...

1. This is the kind that was practiced in the upper room. It is when you speak in a totally different language that is understandable by someone from another place. Like a Japaneese that has never been to Africa or studied any African language speaking Akoko language from Ondo State.
2. This is the kind that was practiced when religion and revival was on fire back in the days. It is still in practice in some other churches that are on fire like some CAC and so. It is when you speak in tongues directly heard from God whereby someone in the congregation or sometimes the person speaking in tongues interprets it cos without interpretation, it does not edify the church.
3. This is the kind that is most practiced in churches today whereby it is claimed that they/we are making groanings that is only understood in the spirit as said in Jude 20, Ephesians 6:18 and most importantly Romans 8:26.

Hope I have been able to help a little

You can't help anyone with such explanation, you have only displayed your lack of bible knowledge.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by shadowripper(f): 8:26am On Jul 27, 2015
ydass:

You can't help anyone with such explanation, you have only displayed your lack of bible knowledge.

Did you notice my second post? Mr know it all as stated in the Bible.

You people just spew your mouth with what your Pastor teaches and you start blabbing...

I have a big library myself and I do my own study before looking for others
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 27, 2015
shadowripper:

Did you notice my second post? Mr know it all as stated in the Bible.

You people just spew your mouth with what your Pastor teaches and you start blabbing...

I have a big library myself and I do my own study before looking for others

Just calm down huh!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Does A "Soul" Make Sense? / Orunmila (IFA) Is The Original Jesus Christ. / As A Christian/muslim, Have You Ever Prayed For Satan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.