Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,390 members, 7,861,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:00 AM

ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause (818 Views)

PanamaPapers Exposes Enrico Monfrini, Nigerian Public Officers May Be Prosecuted / SERAP Asks EFCC & ICPC To Investigate Banks / Federal Government Releases Funds For EFCC, ICPC To Try Ex-Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by midolian(m): 8:45pm On Jul 21, 2015
Nigerian public officers hiding under the cover of the immunity clause in the Constitution to commit corrupt practices would still answer for the wrongs.

This is as the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has warned that the immunity clause does not prevent public officers from being investigated, contrary to the erroneous views held by many Nigerians.

Chairman of the ICPC, Ekpo Nta, made the clarification in Abuja, on Tuesday, July 21, 2015.

He stated that the issue of immunity, which many Nigerians use to spare public officers from being investigated, was not meant by the framers of the Constitution to be a safe haven for some corrupt public officers still in service.

“Immunity does not cover or bring to an end criminal investigation, there is no Act in existence today that says you cannot investigate anybody, what it says is that you cannot prosecute some sitting officials at certain levels,” he said.

Nta explained that the major function of anti-corruption agencies and the police was “to get any accused (person) into the law court with whatever evidence the commission has against them, and for the law court to determine the merit of any such matter, so that we don’t become persecutors.”

The ICPC boss said, before now, at the end of the financial year, ICPC used to go to all the ministries, departments and agencies to look at the leftover funds, which probably had not been sent back to government coffers

“We did a lot of recoveries, thank God we now have the electronic platform, which shows clearly that this fund is not there or it is here,” he said.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/07/icpc-investigate-public-officers-despite-immunity-clause/

2 Likes

Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by Demmocrats(m): 8:48pm On Jul 21, 2015
The biggest mistake the cabals made was plotting against gej, now they are moving from cabal to mopol handling.
www.
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 21, 2015
We now have a functioning system. Thank you bubu
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by Mogidi: 8:53pm On Jul 21, 2015
ok
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by dustmalik: 8:53pm On Jul 21, 2015
Everyone seems to be waking up to their duties. Nigeria shall be better again.

1 Like

Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 21, 2015
Now this is what's up!
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by midolian(m): 8:56pm On Jul 21, 2015
dustmalik:
Everyone seems to be waking up to their duties. Nigeria shall be better again.
I dey tell u, broda. When the head is good, the body functions well. There is this wise saying that "when you cut off the head of a snake, you are left with a rope".

@ this critical time, Nigeria without a straight-forward cum no-nonsense head like Buhari is just like a "Zoo"

1 Like

Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by gracia007(f): 8:59pm On Jul 21, 2015
Just abt time shiit hits the fans
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by thinkdip(m): 9:11pm On Jul 21, 2015
I'm beginning to love all dis moves,
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by jaytee01(m): 9:11pm On Jul 21, 2015
Mogidi:
ok
OK, what?
undecided

1 Like

Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by midolian(m): 9:13pm On Jul 21, 2015
jaytee01:
OK, what?
undecided
lol. No mind mogidi. He is still thinking of how to criticize Buhari on this.

1 Like

Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by jaytee01(m): 9:15pm On Jul 21, 2015
They must pay particular attention to states like Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Delta etc where corruption is walking on all fours!
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 21, 2015
The job was assigned to me, am on it shocked grin
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by Mogidi: 9:17pm On Jul 21, 2015
midolian:
lol. No mind mogidi. He is still thinking of how to criticize Buhari on this.

midolian the mind reader, you don see inside my belle abi.
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by omenka(m): 9:17pm On Jul 21, 2015
Mogidi:
ok
Guys keep tabs on this post to see the twaddle this wailer would modify the post into. cheesy

#Fingers crossed. They can hardly disappoint. grin

That Baba's trip appears to have sent a spear right through their hearts. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by zendy: 9:20pm On Jul 21, 2015
This is not really news. Immunity only protects a person against prosecution. There is no law against investigating any public office holder
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by midolian(m): 9:23pm On Jul 21, 2015
Mogidi:

midolian the mind reader, you don see inside my belle abi.

I don dey see ya post for nairaland, no be today. The day wey u go praise Buhari, I go delete my account out of fear grin grin grin
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by Mogidi: 9:28pm On Jul 21, 2015
midolian:
I don dey see ya post for nairaland, no be today. The day wey u go praise Buhari, I go delete my account out of fear grin grin grin

We all want a great Nigeria, should Buhari provide 24hrs electricity my criticism would become futile.
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by midolian(m): 9:32pm On Jul 21, 2015
Mogidi:

We all want a great Nigeria, should Buhari provide 24hrs electricity my criticism would become futile.
we shall gt there someday. Sofily sofily catchee monkey grin
Re: ICPC To Investigate Public Officers Despite Immunity Clause by Bern1992(m): 9:34pm On Jul 21, 2015
Even ICPC is waking up!!! Where are d officers?? Arrest dat b**t**d called Suswam quickly. angry

(1) (Reply)

Look At This Powerful Gun- You need to see this / Jonathan’s Aide Seizes $50m Belonging To Ex-first Lady Patience / If Sheu Shagari Is Nigeria First Executive President,what Is Buhari?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.