Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,181 members, 7,849,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:12 AM

What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? (3845 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Debate An Atheist / How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 22, 2015
Does life have an intrinsic value and purpose? Independent of what you or I want to give it? undecided
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by dalaman: 5:07pm On Jul 22, 2015
Purpose and meaning of life is what ever you make of it. As a Buddhist the purpose of life is to achieve Nirvana. For a muslim the purpose of of life is to submit to the will of Allah as a loyal slave. To the Hindu the purpose of live is achieve dharma, moksha and artha. To the christian it is to achieve salvation. To some it's hedonism, while to others it might be to try and impact people's lives and make it better according to how they define better, and on and on. Life's purpose is what ever you make of it. It has no universal purpose. We as humans add what ever value or purpose we as humans chose to ascribe to our lives.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by dalaman: 5:08pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:
Does life have an intrinsic value and purpose? Independent of what you or I want to give it? undecided

Nope, it doesn't.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 5:09pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

If life means anything I give it to mean, then it means life is a mirage, a fiction and not real.
Like i said, its all what YOU give yours. . . Now these things you give yours are yours and yours alone
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by dalaman: 5:10pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Like i said, its all what YOU give yours. . . Now these thingd you give yours are yours and yours alone

Can I ask you some questions here please?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 5:10pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

If life is real, life should have specific values and meanings, if I can get to choose the meaning of life then it means life isn't real. Just like the god of war kratos, someone choose the personality, appearance, the voice of kratos for him because kratos isn't real.
Let me see if you even what exactly you are talking about..this should have been my first question to you

What is LIFE??
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 5:11pm On Jul 22, 2015
dalaman:

Can I ask you some questions here please?
Its a free country bro smiley
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by menesheh(m): 5:19pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Lol. . . Life is too short to include suicide. . .Just wait a little while you will soon die. . Op should just hang around for a while wink

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by dalaman: 5:19pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Its a free country bro smiley

How old are you and how long have you being an atheist? How did your journey into atheism begin? I just need a summary, no long details required. I like your mind, its very eloquent and you seem to be erudite when it comes to matters concerning religion.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Let me see if you even what exactly you are talking about..this should have been my first question to you

What is LIFE??

Life is everything I am aware of.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Like i said, its all what YOU give yours. . . Now these things you give yours are yours and yours alone

I don't want to give life any meaning, I don't want to see life from my own personal meaning, I want to see life for what it is.
If I give life a personal meaning that's different from every other person's meaning of life, then I am afraid life doesn't exist. Its all in our head.

Life is no different from spiritual demons, every religious persons see demons differently because they aren't real. Everyone sees life differently because life isn't real. #Simple_Logic#
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 5:36pm On Jul 22, 2015
dalaman:

How old are you
Am in my twenties

and how long have you being an atheist?
Spent many years in agnosticism and blank aloofness on matters concerning God and belief. . .It took me a while to finally agree and accept i had no belief in any God. . that was last year.

How did your journey into atheism begin?
Like i said earlier, it began from agnosticism. . Many years of historical studies, theological and philosophical education, scientific inclination and independent reason and thinking on my part. . You would agree with me it is never easy for any of us shedding our used to be precious belief.

I just need a summary, no long details required. I like your mind, its very eloquent and you seem to be erudite when it comes to matters concerning religion.
Thanks bro
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 5:37pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

Life is everything I am aware of.
And this is your definition of life? Good. . . So give me example of how this definition relates to other forms of life
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Rilwayne001: 5:38pm On Jul 22, 2015
This is the big question—the hardest to answer, the most urgent and at the same time the most obscure. Careful thinkers often avoid it, aware that the question is vague, that the meaning of the word meaning is itself ambiguous, that the answers are not always literal truths that can be defended by argument and reason. Yet, it is reason that makes an answer possible, and it is reason that makes the question necessary.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 5:47pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

I don't want to give life any meaning, I don't want to see life from my own personal meaning, I want to see life for what it is.
If I give life a personal meaning that's different from every other person's meaning of life, then I am afraid life doesn't exist. Its all in our head.
You see looking at all your posts here one can easily discern you limit LIFE to humans. . .You forgot to take into consideration all the life forms that are alive jusy like you. . .Micro organisms, trees, insects, fishes and other animals. . . Until you can determine the purpose of these life forms then you can get near knowing what you want.

The bolded and its corresponding assertion is self refuting, for the fact that you mentioned OUR in denial of OUR life is a flawed self refuting attempt on logic already. .

Life is no different from spiritual demons, every religious persons see demons differently because they aren't real. Everyone sees life differently because life isn't real. #Simple_Logic#
This isn't logic. . . Perception, awareness. . . A tree is perceptive and aware of its sorroundings, an amoeba is perceptive and aware and so are you. . .Likening perception and awareness to the mind plays itself kills the the whole discourse in the dimension of logic. . . Demons et all are all products of the mind which in turn is a product of perception and awareness. . . Until you demonstrate how every form which falls into the scope of LIFE (take other life forms into consideration) are figments of the mind like spirits and stuff, you will always bring up flawed analogies

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
And this is your definition of life? Good. . . So give me example of how this definition relates to other forms of life

undecided go straight to Ur point dude.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 5:51pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

undecided go straight to Ur point dude.
Actually you are the one that haven't gone straight to your point because there isn't any just like it is evident enough there isn't any collective purpose to every life
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
You see looking at all your posts here one can easily discern you limit LIFE to humans. . .You forgot to take into consideration all the life forms that are alive jusy like you. . .Micro organisms, trees, insects, fishes and other animals. . . Until you can determine the purpose of these life forms then you can get near knowing what you want.

The bolded and its corresponding assertion is self refuting, for the fact that you mentioned OUR in denial of OUR life is a flawed self refuting attempt on logic already. .

This isn't logic. . . Perception, awareness. . . A tree is perceptive and aware of its sorroundings, an amoeba is perceptive and aware and so are you. . .Likening perception and awareness to the mind plays itself kills the the whole discourse in the dimension of logic. . . Demons et all are all products of the mind which in turn is a product of perception and awareness. . . Until you demonstrate how every form which falls into the scope of LIFE (take other life forms into consideration) are figments of the mind like spirits and stuff, you will always bring up flawed analogies

Can you perceive anything without your mind? undecided
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 6:01pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

Can you perceive anything without your mind? undecided
Brain is more like it because the mind is as a result of activities in the brain.
Every perception is rooted in the brain. . .

You can see (optical perception) because the images formed in your eyes are sent to the brain for interpretation.

You can feel because the stimuli is sent to the brain for interpretation. .

So every perception is a product of the brain. . .
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Actually you are the one that haven't gone straight to your point because there isn't any just like it is evident enough there isn't any collective purpose to every life

I don't have any preinformed point to prove here, you are the one saying life is anything i make it to be

And i tell you if thats the case, then life isnt real.

If the intrinsic value of life can't be discovered, can you say life is real? undecided

You started asking me to define the purpose of micro organisms, trees and insect, seriously

What are you driving at, or what is Ur logic behind this?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Brain is more like it because the mind is as a result of activities in the brain.
Every perception is rooted in the brain. . .

You can see (optical perception) because the images formed in your eyes are sent to the brain for interpretation.

You can feel because the stimuli is sent to the brain for interpretation. .

So every perception is a product of the brain. . .

Can you say for sure where the stimuli is coming from, outside the perception of your brain?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 6:15pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

I don't have any preinformed point to prove here, you are the one saying life is anything i make it to be
This where your misconception started maybe its due to not paying attention to my exact words. . .i said
"The MEANING to your Life is EXACTLY what you give" and meaning in this context was purpose not what life is

And i tell you if thats the case, then life isnt real.

If the intrinsic value of life can't be discovered, can you say life is real? undecided
Again, Value remains subjective and not collective. . .Stop making absolute statements by subjecting everything under one collective umbrella.

You started asking me to define the purpose of micro organisms, trees and insect, seriously
Because you seem to limit LIFE to humans in your post. . . You could have included LIFE as we know it and that includes every living organism.

What are you driving at, or what is Ur logic behind this?
Do not wish to encompass others in your meaning or purpose. . . If it is the definition of life you are looking for then there are many of them out there there that does it justice. . . But if it the purpose of life, that part remains Subjective
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 6:17pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

Can you say for sure where the stimuli is coming from, outside the perception of your brain?
And this is exactly an irrelevant question because it already has been answered. . Unless you didn't see where i said

Every perception is a product of the brain

Simply put, No perception is independent of the brain. .
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
And this is exactly an irrelevant question because it already has been answered. . Unless you didn't see where i said

Simply put, No perception is independent of the brain. .

So nothing exists outside the perception of your brain?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 6:25pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

So nothing exists outside the perception of your brain?
Simply put "The perception of existence is rooted in the brain"
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
This where your misconception started maybe its due to not paying attention to my exact words. . .i said
"The MEANING to your Life is EXACTLY what you give" and meaning in this context was purpose not what life is

Again, Value remains subjective and not collective. . .Stop making absolute statements by subjecting everything under one collective umbrella.

Because you seem to limit LIFE to humans in your post. . . You could have included LIFE as we know it and that includes every living organism.
Do not wish to encompass others in your meaning or purpose. . . If it is the definition of life you are looking for then there are many of them out there there that does it justice. . . But if it the purpose of life, that part remains Subjective

Put Ur emotions aside for a minute and let's reason.
This isn't about me trying to "encompass others in my meaning or purpose." Its about me finding objective meaning or purpose of life.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Simply put "The perception of existence is rooted in the brain"

That means existence is also a perception that cant be verified objectively? shocked
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 6:31pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

Put Ur emotions aside for a minute and let's reason.
This isn't about me trying to "encompass others in my meaning or purpose." Its about me finding objective meaning or purpose of life.
Actually i don't employ emotional sentiments in my discussions.

There you go, How can you find the Objective meaning of life. . .There are many forms of life out there like i mentioned earlier, so your meaning must include them, until you find out the meaning of these life forms you cannot hope to make an objective statement regarding the meaning of life (Everything alive)
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Actually i don't employ emotional sentiments in my discussions.

There you go, How can you find the Objective meaning of life. . .There are many forms of life out there like i mentioned earlier, so your meaning must include them, until you find out the meaning of these life forms you cannot hope to make an objective statement regarding the meaning of life (Everything alive)

I mean purpose or value, when I say "meaning" I am not talking about semantics here
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

That means existence is also a perception that cant be verified objectively? shocked
Just as perception differs, definitions differs. . . In this case PERCEPTION is already an objective factor
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 6:37pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

I mean purpose or value, when I say "meaning" I am not talking about semantics here
And i still maintain just like i and every other person have maintained on this thread. .

Purpose and value is subjective and is independent of others. . . It remains yours and only what you determine yours to be.

You cannot determine the collective purpose or value of every life form
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Just as perception differs, definitions differs. . . In this case PERCEPTION is already an objective factor in this case

How is the perception of existence objective? Give me a logical explanation for that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Get Delivered From Marine Spirit. / A Comparison Between Christian Doctrine And Mormon Doctrine / The Prosperity Gospel May Land You In Hell.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.