Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,144 members, 7,849,570 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:40 AM

What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? (3836 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Debate An Atheist / How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 6:41pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

How is the perception of existence objective? Give me a logical explanation for that.
To percieve existence you must have the ability to percieve which you showed clearly when you distinguished living things from none living things.

So your knowledge of existence is as a result of your perception of what is
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by herald9: 6:53pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

I hope you know wherever you are typing this, u can die in the ñext minute? undecided
If you are in a building, a truck can ram into the building and kill u instantly? The building can collapse over you, next few minutes
And thats the end of it all. And then they will cry on ur funeral, after some years u are forgotten undecided

Whats d meaning of this life to u?
This reminds me of existentialism... Damn I hate being sad. sad

It seems this is where religion comes in, as everyone is trying to find an escape route from reality. sad
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
To percieve existence you must have the ability to percieve which you showed clearly when you distinguished living things from none living things.

So your knowledge of existence is as a result of your perception of what is

Is my perception of what is, the same as what actually is?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jul 22, 2015
herald9:

It seems this is where religion comes in, as everyone is trying to find an escape route from reality. sad

Sad because?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 7:06pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

Is my perception of what is, the same as what actually is?
And now the questions just swerved into a whole new dimension of which i cannot make any absolute statement on. . .

Since your knowledge of what is depends on your perception, how then would you know if what you percieved is not actually what is outside your perception ?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by herald9: 7:14pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

Sad because?
When you realize that no matter how you enjoy, there's something waiting for you.

And as an unbeliever, you don't have the benefit of hoping for something like them religious folks. That's saddening you know.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
And now the questions just swerved into a whole new dimension of which i cannot make any absolute statement on. . .

Since your knowledge of what is depends on your perception, how then would you know if what you percieved is not actually what is outside your perception ?

I do not know. That's why I asked.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 7:21pm On Jul 22, 2015
herald9:

When you realize that no matter how you enjoy, there's something waiting for you.

And as an unbeliever, you don't have the benefit of hoping for something like them religious folks. That's saddening you know.
Nope, maybe for you but not others.

There is a sense of satisfaction that comes with forgoing to live in the hope of abstract fantasies like the one you are proposing.

so i would say for me not living in such fantasies and wishful thinkings gave me a sense of fulfillment in what i have got and no happiness could be greater than that for me
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 22, 2015
herald9:

Well, i dont quite see it that way.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

I do not know. That's why I asked.
That is it bro, since all we know are encompassed in our perception, there is no way we can know or determine what is outside our percepion and there is absolutely no reason to assume up one
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
That is it bro, since all we know are encompassed in our perception, there is no way we can know or determine what is outside our percepion and there is absolutely no reason to assume up one

There is also no reason to assume there is nothing outside our perception
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 7:31pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dapo777:

There is also no reason to assume there is nothing outside our perception
Exactly, so let us maintain the position of agnosticism for that question..
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by herald9: 7:43pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Nope, maybe for you but not others.

There is a sense of satisfaction that comes with forgoing to live in the hope of abstract fantasies like the one you are proposing.

so i would say for me not living in such fantasies and wishful thinkings gave me a sense of fulfillment in what i have got and no happiness could be greater than that for me
I use to reason like this, but sometimes my humanity floods in and I can't help being immersed.

You know it's normal for humans to want a better/sugar-coated description to something terrible in order to escape it's full blow.

Just hoping one day I'll be evolved enough to accept reality as it is without blinking.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jul 22, 2015
herald9:

Confusion grandeur!
My brother, you need Jesus. smiley
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 7:45pm On Jul 22, 2015
herald9:

I use to reason like this, but sometimes my humanity floods in and I can't help being immersed.

You know it's normal for humans to want a better/sugar-coated description to something terrible in order to escape it's full blow.

Just hoping one day I'll be evolved enough to accept reality as it is without blinking.
Alright then. .
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by herald9: 7:52pm On Jul 22, 2015
FrancisTony:

Confusion grandeur!
My brother, you need Jesus. smiley
Stop jumping on posts you don't understand or you might break your leg. undecided

I was saying religious people are looking for ways to escape reality that's why you are seeing many religions in the world with mind-blowing doctrines.

I wasn't encouraging religiosity. undecided
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jul 22, 2015
herald9:

Stop jumping on posts you don't understand or you might break your leg. undecided

I was saying religious people are looking for ways to escape reality that's why you are seeing many religions in the world with mind-blowing doctrines.

I wasn't encouraging religiosity. undecided
No vex! gringrin
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by herald9: 8:08pm On Jul 22, 2015
FrancisTony:

No vex! gringrin
grin

When you realize heaven/sugar-candy-mountain isn't real ... That's when you'll start existing.

For now you're floating, waiting for Yeezus to come save you when you're the one to save yourself.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 23, 2015
FrancisTony:

No vex! gringrin

Where are u currently?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Life, As An Atheist? by Redlyn: 1:50am On Jul 23, 2015
Life is utterly pointless. Basically whether you live or you die is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Thats the stark reality of it and thats why humans have come up with all kinds of magical happy ever after endings.
But don't let that stop you in your pursuit of happiness. You are here, wide awake in such a majestic universe. Enjoy it and just try to live a happy life in your short time on earth.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews / What Do You Think Of The Transgender Argument? / Please Can Someone Help Me Find Where God Changed His Word From DEUTRONOMY 22:5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.