Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,621 members, 7,823,719 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. (1132 Views)

Nigerian Government Should Not Allow The Importation Of This Product / Power Generation: Government Should Stop Constructing Gas Fired Power Plants / Nigeria News Flash - Nigerian Launched An Alternative To Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by Eden007(m): 2:48pm On Jul 23, 2015
Before you descend on me, this is just my opinion. Nysc has lost its essence. It's more or less university education continued. Parents still send money and take care of most of their so called graduates in the name of nysc. It's painful to note that, government spends a lot of money on this program. Ranging from, salaries of Nysc staff, allowances of corp members, cost of funding various nysc camps etc.

The painful part of it is that, after nysc 90percent of graduates end up going home to their parents like nothing has happened over the years.

I think if government could channel about 250,000 naira per graduate to start a small and medium enterprise, it'd be more useful and reduce drastically rates of graduates roaming the street in search of jobs.
Furthermore, if you calculate how much is spent on one graduate in a year during the nysc scheme, you'd realise that it's close to 500,000 naira including feeding in camp.

This idea could be fine tuned and the nysc madness stopped! I know this would step on a lot of toes because a lot of corrupt practices arise from this nysc scheme.
Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by IME1: 2:51pm On Jul 23, 2015
bros eh
how did u get to that amount?
PS NYSC is not just about job
it also helps in uniting us
some people have jobs before and during NYSC so its nt a job empowering programme
it is a service and humility programme
in Israel and i think USA they do 1 year compulsory military service (i think UK too)
in some states like i think Rivers they give lump sum at the end of the service.
i used mine to kick of my Foundation while i went sampling the job market with
my 'certificate and 1 year work experience from NYSC and NIM certificate i acquired'
so the NYSC was not a waste not to mention the connections you make and spouses that have been
joined in holy matrimony.
1 year is nt too much.
if u say there is wastage in d scheme i'd ask u 2 mention them so government can close such holes, but i can say that the advantages are more.
PS: i slept on floor and bathed under the sky thru out my service year so don't think i had it rosy
moreover my set missed election year so no extra cash and we also missed the alawi increment to 18k so we received 9700 cry well all is well that ends well.
God bless us and Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by bababuff(m): 2:53pm On Jul 23, 2015
IME1:
bros eh
PS NTSC is not just about job

I prefer PAL to NTSC grin
Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by IME1: 2:59pm On Jul 23, 2015
bababuff:

I prefer PAL to NTSC grin

hohohohoho!!! tongue
Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by Eden007(m): 3:01pm On Jul 23, 2015
IME1:
bros eh
PS NTSC is not just about job
if you calculate, 19800*13months= 257,400. Cost of nysc kits per Corp member could amount to 50k. Cost of feeding and other miscellaneous expenses per Corp member could amount to 200k. We end up coming back to square 1, stay in the same hood we grew up and it makes it seem education has no reward. I know we have people close to our president that have access to nairaland, I hope this gets to him. He could fine tune this idea and work with the national assembly to make the necessary changes. Lalasticlala, ishilove help us take this to front page.
Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by Dannyset(m): 3:06pm On Jul 23, 2015
IME1:
bros eh
some people have jobs before and during NYSC so its nt a job empowering programme
in Israel and i think USA they do 1 year compulsory military service (i think UK too)
in some states like i think Rivers they give lump sum at the end of the service.
my 'certificate and 1 year work experience from NYSC and NIM certificate i acquired'
so the NYSC was not a waste not to mention the connections you make and spouses that have been
1 year is nt too much.
if u say there is wastage in d scheme i'd ask u 2 mention them so government can close such holes, but i can say that the advantages are more.
PS: i slept on floor and bathed under the sky thru out my service year so don't think i had it rosy
moreover my set missed election year so no extra cash and we also missed the alawi increment to 18k so we received 9700 cry well all is well that ends well.
God bless us and Nigeria
Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by kaima1984(f): 3:18pm On Jul 23, 2015
IME1:
bros eh
1 year is nt too much.
God bless us and Nigeria
Sweetie pls keep Rivers state out of it,I served in Rivers state,batch c 2011/2012,up till now no penny has been received from them
Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by shaqhead: 3:22pm On Jul 23, 2015
Eden007:
Before you descend on me, this is just my opinion. Nysc has lost its essence. It's more or less university education continued. Parents still send money and take care of most of their so called graduates in the name of nysc. It's painful to note that, government spends a lot of money on this program. Ranging from, salaries of Nysc staff, allowances of corp members, cost of funding various nysc camps etc.

The painful part of it is that, after nysc 90percent of graduates end up going home to their parents like nothing has happened over the years.

I think if government could channel about 250,000 naira per graduate to start a small and medium enterprise, it'd be more useful and reduce drastically rates of graduates roaming the street in search of jobs.
Furthermore, if you calculate how much is spent on one graduate in a year during the nysc scheme, you'd realise that it's close to 500,000 naira including feeding in camp.

This idea could be fine tuned and the nysc madness stopped! I know this would step on a lot of toes because a lot of corrupt practices arise from this nysc scheme.
Mr. this theory has been said over and again and there is som sense but I have certain reservations about..it is a big recipe for disaster. Why?

Truth is an overwhelming proportion of graduates dnt have skills to run a small or medium scale biz!

Look at the Sure-P scheme-what percentage of those that are given grants break even, make profit and even create wealth (employ others)? In my opinion, quite a few!

I think the problem starts in our education, graduates go to school and feel heads with so much theory that is bereft of real world skills! For example: a job like Tiling, we go to Cotonou to bring those boys to do it for us!

Even though I wl advice a total overhauling of our educational in the long term in the short term, the NYSC shd b an avenue to learn real world skills. Take 6-8mnths (some wl nid more) n train graduates in different skills and the four months shd b for d grads to giv back to the community or get som military training!

1 Like

Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by IME1: 3:27pm On Jul 23, 2015
Eden007:
if you calculate, 19800*13months= 257,400. Cost of nysc kits per Corp member could amount to 50k. Cost of feeding and other miscellaneous expenses per Corp member could amount to 200k. We end up coming back to square 1, stay in the same hood we grew up and it makes it seem education has no reward. I know we have people close to our president that have access to nairaland, I hope this gets to him. He could fine tune this idea and work with the national assembly to make the necessary changes. Lalasticlala, ishilove help us take this to front page.

ok

lets see

in the real world a man without degree may make 18k minimum wage and survive some how
we graduates expect more with the degree certificate so our minimum wage should start from about what?
give me a figure.
asides being posted to a school, if one is posted to a nice place u get links, possible retention and job experience.

depending on lifestyle spending 200k for d service yr is high.

if u were not serving or still in school or setting up business or job hunting in a yr u may nt spend 200k

d reward of education does not come from government or job, ask around. many successful people are not using their certificates BY CHOICE.
also why should society reward you for being educated?
those that couldn't go to school are they cursed? some it was no fault of theirs so should they be cast aways?
also many uneducated people are making it big financially.

i see education as intellectual empowerment meant to translate to financial progress based SOLELY on what you do with it.

many times when things are handed to us on a platter of gold (like the 250k u suggest they give) we misuse it cos we didnt work (sweat) for it (ask some professors and entrepreneurs who were given research grants and loans respectively)

finally cause i am feeling really hungry and tired, the humility faced in NYSC is to make graduates know that they are not some demi-gods just because they went to Uni or Poly. we have to humble ourselves and get jobs and sustain it and not stroll around with some chip on our shoulders as if it was by force to pass UTME. education is an added advantage and privilege/right. work is choice and opportunity. there are people on social welfare in UK who are educated why? there are rich women with degrees at home doing nothing cos of their rich hubbies why?Why? is it all about money or service?
Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 23, 2015
oo
Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by shaqhead: 3:29pm On Jul 23, 2015
kaima1984:
Sweetie pls keep Rivers state out of it,I served in Rivers state,batch c 2011/2012,up till now no penny has been received from them
Served same year Batch A...I guess d pay stopped on Batch C...too bad!

I think the pay stopped cos the rivers govrnment's recruitment of teachers ws picking up steam and they had stop paying corper!
Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by IME1: 3:30pm On Jul 23, 2015
kaima1984:

unbelievable!!! shocked

very bad of them
Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by kaima1984(f): 3:45pm On Jul 23, 2015
shaqhead:

Served same year Batch A...I guess d pay stopped on Batch C...too bad!

I think the pay stopped cos the rivers govrnment's recruitment of teachers ws picking up steam and they had stop paying corper!
is well,thank God I survived
Re: Government Should Please Scrap Nysc: This Should Be An Alternative. by kaima1984(f): 3:46pm On Jul 23, 2015
IME1:

unbelievable!!! shocked
very bad of them
Better believe it oooh,too bad of dem

(1) (Reply)

Incredible! Obasanjo Was Caught Doing This… (see Photos) / Igbo Groups Want Junaid Mohammed Tried For Treason / A Passionate Appeal To Governor Mimiko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.