Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,543 members, 7,823,380 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

20 Facts About Ijebu's - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 20 Facts About Ijebu's (6545 Views)

Sikiru Adetona, Awujale Of Ijebu Is Dead / Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure / Mysteries About IJEBU IGBO As A Town! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Facts About Ijebu's by macof(m): 8:33am On Jul 26, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

This is the problem i have with people who won't get their facts right before typing garbage. Remo use to be under ijebu but not anymore. Remo people today are being ruled by the Akarigbo not Awujale. As regards ijebu and Yoruba well. of all the groups in Yoruba land, ijebu is the only group that has no ancestry with Ife. don't forget remo has. I don't want to go back and forth because i know this is controversial. but i will ask you a question since you claim there's no difference

Are ijebus yoruba by blood or by association?

Another nonsense.
Remo having an Oba as an autonomous group doesn't make them different from the other Ijebus
Akarigbo is known to be one of the many Ijebu monarchs

Many in ur messed up mind you think all Obas lead a different ethnic group. . Ogbomoso led by Soun must be different from Oyo
Ewi of Ado - Ekiti must be different from other Ekiti

Use ur head.

Ijebu has the Oloko, Orimolusi, Ayan of Ikorodu and many more which includes the Akarigbo of Remo

Ijebu have direct link to Ife, no beaded crown king can deny it. Obanta was a son of Oduduwa

1 Like

Re: 20 Facts About Ijebu's by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 26, 2015
macof:

Another nonsense.
Remo having an Oba as an autonomous group doesn't make them different from the other Ijebus
Akarigbo is known to be one of the many Ijebu monarchs

Many in ur messed up mind you think all Obas lead a different ethnic group. . Ogbomoso led by Soun must be different from Oyo
Ewi of Ado - Ekiti must be different from other Ekiti

Use ur head.

Ijebu has the Oloko, Orimolusi, Ayan of Ikorodu and many more which includes the Akarigbo of Remo

Ijebu have direct link to Ife, no beaded crown king can deny it. Obanta was a son of Oduduwa
\

Olodo you lack knowledge and you're too lazy to seek it. Obanta came from waddai in sudan not ife so you're the one who should use your ignorant head. Remo people migrated from Iremo quarters in Ile ife .
Re: 20 Facts About Ijebu's by macof(m): 9:04am On Jul 26, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
\

Olodo you lack knowledge and you're too lazy to seek it. Obanta came from waddai in sudan not ife so you're the one who should use your ignorant head. Remo people migrated from Iremo quarters in Ile ife .

There's nothing like waddai in yoruba history
What people call waddai is actually Ife Owodaiye (oodaye)
And Obanta didn't come from such a place cus it had already been destroyed and rebuilt as Ile-Ife

This is the problem with religions folks like muslims and Christians who know all about arab and Hebrew history but lack basic knowledge of themselves
Re: 20 Facts About Ijebu's by Nobody: 9:10am On Jul 26, 2015
macof:

There's nothing like waddai in yoruba history
What people call waddai is actually Ife Owodaiye (oodaye)
And Obanta didn't come from such a place cus it had already been destroyed and rebuilt as Ile-Ife

This is the problem with religions folks like muslims and Christians who know all about arab and Hebrew history but lack basic knowledge of themselves

Goodbye!
Re: 20 Facts About Ijebu's by Uchenna4J: 7:20am On Jul 14, 2017
Dear Brother,

I believe that the Ijebus are descended from the Jebusites indeed, however before we make bold statements of fact, we must do more research and back up our theories. The Bible actually says the original name of Jerusalem is Jebusi, and describes the inhabitants as Jebusites.

There are other Canaanite tribes in Nigeria for your information and there is even more information on them based on my personal research in some cases and other accounts I found. The Hivites are found all over Ibo land: they are called Ifite or Ivite in other dialects. The largest group is found in Anambra state called Orafite. Ora means people. Orafite which is contraction of Oraifite-- Ibos drop vowels in succession. The name Orafite means Ivite people. In Imoh and Enugu states they are referred to as Ivite rather than Ifite. There are Hivites in various communities of Igbo land.

There are other Canaanite tribes but I will share that another time. What I want to inform you is that Ijebu-Igbo originate from Ibos. In particular Hebrew Ibos traced from Anambra as well as Delta states. Your ancestor supposedly called Onayelu was an Ibo man. Ona in Igbo means jewelry or gemstone in Anambra dialect. In Imoh and Abia it is Ola. In Yoruba Ola means wealth or honor. Ona in Yoruba means the same or ornament like Igbo. However, the name Onayelu or Onayeli, Onoyelu, are classical Igbo. Ibos also have Oranyeli, Oranyelu. Onayelu or Onanyelu is Igbo. At first, I concluded that Ijebu-Igbo were of the tribe of Judah because they occupied Jerusalem and never completely drove out the Jebusites. They made them servants. However, a royal burial place in Ijebu- Igbo called Oke Eri suggests they are descendants of Gad in the Bible like the Igbos of Aguleri, Umuleri on Anambra. I have much more information. I continue when I find time. The Nri kingdom of Igbo land was a kingdom of priests that governed Ibos for centuries. The laws they taught are practically straight out of the Old testament. That could be why the Ijebus are spiritual even though like the Ibos the Hebrew traditions have been greatly corrupted by paganism. The Nri kingdom metal works found in Igbo-ukwu in Anambra state that includes bronze, copper, and brass are the oldest in Nigeria. They are mostly in the British museum and are centuries older than either Benin or Ice. You can Google it. Moreover, the iron workers of Awka were known to have dwelt in Ife, and they are the oldest recorded Smith's in black Africa. Their guilds are still active today. There are other tribes of Israel traced to Ibos land other than Gad whose son Eri I have mentioned. That is for another day. My intention here is to demonstrate how interconnected we are. I am not claiming superiority like some. God told Israel the Canaanites were greater and stronger than them. Oke Eri means Eri's creation or handiwork in Igbo language. You probably are familiar with the Igbos name Okechukwu which means God's creation or work. Uche Okechukwu was Super Eagles captain.

On another day I will discuss other Hebrew Igbos as well as the Edo who are Edomites the brother of Jacob or Israel. The Edos and Ibos are brothers that unfortunately have hated each other. It might be the reason Ibos started killing twins because they perceive it as a breach in the spirit that leads to problems. It wasn't only Jacob and Esau (Edom) that caused problems. Judah gave birth to twins that also strove in the womb. Pharez and his twin. Joseph's sons as well- Ephraim and Manasseh. Joseph was angry that Jacob his father elevated Ephraim over Manasseh the elder based on prophetic revelation. The Ibos dominate and outnumber the Edos but the Edo is the elder.
Re: 20 Facts About Ijebu's by TunnyOgunnowo(m): 7:54pm On Jul 14, 2017
5 interesting things about the Yoruba People

The Yoruba race is more or less a collection of diverse people bound together by language, culture and history. The Yoruba people are a distinguished people and are well-known as the home to one of Africa’s richest cultures. Here are 5 interesting things about the Yoruba people.

The Yorubas are Among the Most Urbanized People in Africa
This is because centuries before the arrival of the British colonial administration, most Yoruba people already lived in well-structured urban centers. These centers were organized around powerful city states called ‘Ilu’, which were centered around the residence of the Oba. In other words, before the coming of the British colonial masters, the Yoruba people were already organized under the rule of their Oba.

Yorubas are very Expressive People
This is particularly seen in the way they speak and converse with one another. It is also seen in their colourful festivals and celebrations. From wedding ceremonies, naming ceremonies, housewarming parties and even burials, you cannot deny the rich and ostentatious style and ceremonial nature of the people of the culture.

The Yoruba People are One of the Largest Ethnic Groups in Africa
This is according to the CIA World Factbook Report of 2013. The Yoruba people constitute over 40 million people found in most parts of the world, with the largest concentration in Nigeria.

When a Child is Born in Yorubaland, the Naming Ceremony is Carried Out After 8 Days
Regardless of modernization, the Yoruba people still cling dearly to most of their cultural and traditional practices, and the above traditional practice is one of them. After a period of eight days, a naming ceremony is held for a new born where close relatives are invited.

The Yoruba Language Has Many Dialects
The Yoruba language is a tonal language and is a Niger-Congo language that has the largest number of native speakers. The language has many dialects but most of its speakers are able to understand one another.

Source > http://www.absolutehearts.com/2017/07/5-interesting-things-about-yoruba-people.html
Re: 20 Facts About Ijebu's by zephry(m): 3:09pm On Jul 15, 2017
where did this op find the connection between the jebusites and ijebu people...........see wetin buhari don cause
and the first person to move the motion against colonialism in Nigeria was sir ANTHONY ENAHORO I don't know if he was an ijebu man

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof / I Need Old Original Coral Beads / Elijah Muhammad Prophesied Correct Asia Would Rise First

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.