Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,675 members, 7,820,374 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ (1149 Views)

A Colossal Asteroid "Florence" Will Cruise By Earth Today, Visible To Human Eyes / Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 / Extreme Weather Conditions: 19 Coldest And Hottest Inhabited Places On Earth. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Dezzx(m): 9:14am On Jul 24, 2015
Astronomers hunting for another Earth have found the closest match yet, a potentially rocky planet circling its star at the same distance as the Earth orbits the Sun, NASA has said.

Named Kepler 452b, the planet is about 60 percent larger than Earth. It could have active volcanoes, oceans and sunshine like ours, twice as much gravity and a year that lasts 385 days, scientists said on Thursday.

“Today we are announcing the discovery of an exoplanet that, as far we can tell, is a pretty good close cousin to the Earth and our Sun,” said John Grunsfeld, associate administrator for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington.

“This is about the closest so far, and I really emphasize the ‘so-far,'” he added, describing Kepler 452b as “the closest twin,” or “Earth 2.0.”

The planet was detected by the US space agency’s Kepler Space Telescope, which has been hunting for other worlds like ours since 2009.

This planet sits squarely in the Goldilocks zone – where life could exist because it is neither too hot nor too cold to support liquid water, the US space agency said.

“Today the Earth is a little less lonely,” said Jon Jenkins, Kepler data analysis lead scientist at NASA’s Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California.

Kepler 452b’s star is 1.5 billion years older, four percent more massive and 10 percent brighter than our sun.
source:http://www.punchng.com/news/nasa-finds-earth-2-0/
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Dezzx(m): 9:15am On Jul 24, 2015
cc: lalasticlala.
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by kbams241: 9:15am On Jul 24, 2015
b
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Nobody: 9:16am On Jul 24, 2015
With twice the gravity, I would not call it an earth twin.
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Cutehector(m): 9:18am On Jul 24, 2015
Wat if say dis new earth nw supports life? I go startrek go am oooo
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by witnezHD(m): 9:19am On Jul 24, 2015
how much is a plot of land there? ;Dhow much is a plot of land there?
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Cutehector(m): 9:19am On Jul 24, 2015
Teempakguy:
With twice the gravity, I would not call it an earth twin.
so wat would u suggest the atmosphere of d earth twin would be?
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Cutehector(m): 9:21am On Jul 24, 2015
witnezHD:
how much is a plot of land there? ;Dhow much is a plot of land there?
1500 light years away bro... Befor u get thr, rapture has already happend grin

1 Like

Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 24, 2015
Cutehector:
so wat would u suggest the atmosphere of d earth twin would be?
it most certainly would contain a lot more hydrogen, noble gases, and oxygen. The atmospheric pressure will be very strong.
Also, acceleration due to gravity will be quite high. Although, this maybe balanced by the thick atmosphere.

Also, everything will be twice as heavy. A mere book might weigh as much as a full grown cat.

Not quite the earth twin.
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Cutehector(m): 9:27am On Jul 24, 2015
Teempakguy:
it most certainly would contain a lot more hydrogen, noble gases, and oxygen. The atmospheric pressure will be very strong.
Also, acceleration due to gravity will be quite high. Although, this maybe balanced by the thick atmosphere.

Also, everything will be twice as heavy. A mere book might weigh as much as a full grown cat.

Not quite the earth twin.
so dat means, if a rocket enters d planet, within minutes, its already on d ground? Ryt? grin
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 24, 2015
Cutehector:
so dat means, if a rocket enters d planet, within minutes, its already on d ground? Ryt? grin
like I said earlier, the acceleration due to gravity will be balanced by the thick atmosphere. The terminal velocity will be the same as it is on earth.

The effects of the strong gravity will only be felt by ground based objects. Such as the human muscle, or cars. grin
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Cutehector(m): 9:34am On Jul 24, 2015
Teempakguy:
like I said earlier, the acceleration due to gravity will be balanced by the thick atmosphere. The terminal velocity will be the same as it is on earth.

The effects of the strong gravity will only be felt by ground based objects. Such as the human muscle, or cars. grin
lol... Dah means, to waka fast na problem.. U need to chop akpu wella to move... Everytn na na by force...
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 24, 2015
Cutehector:
lol... Dah means, to waka fast na problem.. U need to chop akpu wella to move... Everytn na na by force...
exactly. cheesy
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by johnydon22(m): 9:40am On Jul 24, 2015
Teempakguy:
exactly. cheesy
It has joined the list of exo planets with possible life within it...

Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 24, 2015
johnydon22:
It has joined the list of exo planets with possible life within it...
they would have to possess rather strong support systems.
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by johnydon22(m): 9:50am On Jul 24, 2015
Teempakguy:
they would have to possess rather strong support systems.
You know life is all about compatibility and adaptation. . .so just like the systems of different life forms in different habitats drastically differs so too are we to be faced with a new reality of unseen type of system
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Booyakasha(f): 4:22pm On Jul 24, 2015
T
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Booyakasha(f): 4:27pm On Jul 24, 2015
Teempakguy:
exactly. cheesy
you've got some good points bro, but you have to remember some biological factors here, okay, imagine my parents giving birth to me and throwing me to a planet with 50x earth's gravitational force present but has support for human life, what the heck do you think will happen mate? i'll adapt, although i'll be or maybe very short in height but i will have the strength of 50 men if not 100, when i return to earth, and i will move freely as if i was in earth, provided human life support is available, what if i build a family on that planet and stay there for 1,000yrs? we will have the power to take over earth... it's basic science man, and don't talk about human genetics, DNA is just like a computer program (code) and luckily it was designed to learn and adapt. btw, i saw your post some where in the boards where you posted about how you wanted to study comp.sci, join www.gdevit.com,
i might make you a mod in science section if you want wink
Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 24, 2015
Booyakasha:

you've got some good points bro, but you have to remember some biological factors here, okay, imagine my parents giving birth to me and throwing me to a planet with 50x earth's gravitational force present but has support for human life, what the heck do you think will happen mate? i'll adapt, although i'll be or maybe very short in height but i will have the strength of 50 men if not 100, when i return to earth, and i will move freely as if i was in earth, provided human life support is available, what if i build a family on that planet and stay there for 1,000yrs? we will have the power to take over earth... it's basic science man, and don't talk about human genetics, DNA is just like a computer program (code) and luckily it was designed to learn and adapt. btw, i saw your post some where in the boards where you posted about how you wanted to study comp.sci, join www.gdevit.com,
i might make you a mod in science section if you want wink
shocked shocked
Lovely site! I think I just hit the jack pot. shocked
Meh, I could probably be a mod . . . but that would have to be next year, if the space is still open. smiley This year, I have to study for exams . . . admission palaver. angry
But you can bet that till then, I will be a VERY active member of the site. grin

1 Like

Re: NASA Finds ‘earth 2.0′ by Booyakasha(f): 5:14pm On Jul 25, 2015
Teempakguy:
shocked shocked
Lovely site! I think I just hit the jack pot. shocked
Meh, I could probably be a mod . . . but that would have to be next year, if the space is still open. smiley This year, I have to study for exams . . . admission palaver. angry
But you can bet that till then, I will be a VERY active member of the site. grin
yeah ok, you can start being active now, ATLEAST as you are on nl.

(1) (Reply)

See The Big Snake Killed In Kwara State (photo) / Generator Experts - Please Advise / How To Unlock Lock Pattern Using Command Prompt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.